RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fans unhappy with the Parker DPOY award should be happy. Nice to see Sykes on the 2nd team. It seemed to me that in Atlanta they never felt like her defense was that good. I recall in 2018 Collen would put in Dietrick on Defense late in games when she was alternating Defense and Offense. She does get some spectacular blocks, though. Could be Fish is good coach....

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm skeptical of any group that puts two Dream players on the All Defense team at all, let alone on the first team. Billings, GloJo, and even Bruiser had better DRs than either Laney or Williams.

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
This is the first time the DPOY has been left off the All Defense teams

Evil or Very Mad OH JESUS MF CHRIST Rolling Eyes

Complete unabashed homer? Couldn't be me, except when it comes to #ACDPOY, I am ready to d*e on this hill Exclamation How the fuck did Parker come away with DPOY?!?!?!

ParkerGate2020! Hell yeah, leave her off of the all-defensive teams. Obviously there were different voters for these awards. The people with true knowledge chose this team while the joke of a so called sportswriters association or whatever picked Parker for DPOY. Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The fans unhappy with the Parker DPOY award should be happy.

Bless you Randy but I at least am now actually more 🔥ENRAGED! Sparks truly scammed enough impressionable media members into voting for Parker. Laughing The coaches, like others, apparently were not as convinced – by a mile. Good lord, what a shame. Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
This is the first time the DPOY has been left off the All Defense teams

Evil or Very Mad OH JESUS MF CHRIST Rolling Eyes

Complete unabashed homer? Couldn't be me, except when it comes to #ACDPOY, I am ready to d*e on this hill Exclamation How the fuck did Parker come away with DPOY?!?!?!

ParkerGate2020! Hell yeah, leave her off of the all-defensive teams. Obviously there were different voters for these awards. The people with true knowledge chose this team while the joke of a so called sportswriters association or whatever picked Parker for DPOY. Laughing

They've always been different voters. DPOY is media, defensive teams is coaches.

The notion that the people who rated Elizabeth Williams as the best defensive center in the league are the smart ones is dubious at best.

PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two first-team members from a terrible defensive team. Make it make sense.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
The Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award is presented each season to a player who exemplifies the ideals of sportsmanship on the court, including ethical behavior, fair play and integrity.

Meh. She has never exemplified those things on the court for me, especially early in her career when she has throwing defenders around and yelling and1 into their faces. She may have calmed down with age lately. Considering she has won this award twice in a row now (and Clarendon was a top candidate) it seems like she’s winning the award more for her work with the player’s union.

Considering who the award is named for, yelling in someone's face would certainly not be disqualifying

PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:
The Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award is presented each season to a player who exemplifies the ideals of sportsmanship on the court, including ethical behavior, fair play and integrity.

Meh. She has never exemplified those things on the court for me, especially early in her career when she has throwing defenders around and yelling and1 into their faces. She may have calmed down with age lately. Considering she has won this award twice in a row now (and Clarendon was a top candidate) it seems like she’s winning the award more for her work with the player’s union.

Considering who the award is named for, yelling in someone's face would certainly not be disqualifying

Sigh, that happened a grand total of once, in a hotly contested finals game, after Brunson was riding her and fouling her repeatedly. Doesn't make it okay, but context is important.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/29/20 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most bizarre bit of those voting results, even beyond two Dream players on the first-team, is why Stewart got put on the second-team as a forward when she had more votes than E.Williams. There's some glaring position-fudging elsewhere (Clark and Laney were forwards all season) that's a lot more significant than calling Stewart a 'center'.

PostPosted: 09/29/20 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Two first-team members from a terrible defensive team. Make it make sense.

Can't get blood from a turnip.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/29/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No point guards on the All-Defensive team? Also, how many of the guards are more small forwards than guards?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/29/20 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Also, how many of the guards are more small forwards than guards?

Three.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Three.

Yeah that’s bizarre. Really, no actual guards play defense in the league?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/30/20 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Three.

Yeah that’s bizarre. Really, no actual guards play defense in the league?

As someone who's tried to select these teams in many years, I can confirm that guards are virtually always the hardest to find. There aren't many notably good ones. I had Briann January on my first-team even this year, when she only played 13 games.

But the way they play with the positions is just weird. They cling to the GGFFC format and tell the voters to vote by position, but shift multiple forwards to guard (and if we're going by actual starting position, Wilson is also glaringly a forward not a center). Yet simultaneously they don't put Stewart at center, where she played plenty this season (and you could reasonably debate over who the starting center is between her and Howard). I'm sure it's very low on Stewart's list of things to care about right now - and for the record, there's no difference in prize money between 1st and 2nd team - but it seems unfair to me. Stewart should be first team, and then the second-team actually fits better positionally with Wilson at forward and Williams at center.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark as the ONLY unanimous 2020 WNBA First Team All-Defense selection! Love it!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/30/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are different kinds of defenses that a good defender can play.AC & AB type defenders are known for great to good on ball & off ball defense like deny a pass, steals & taking a charge, contesting the shot, stopping your player from getting to their spots etc. Most good defenders at guard/wing players fall under on ball & off ball. Post defense like boxing out to secure a reb, shot blocking which the likes of good post defenders like Fowlers, Nneka, Brunson fall under. There are rare players that can play on & fall & even some post defense.

I feel CP played good post defense even while playmaking & scoring on offense. Can we honestly say just from having watched them played that CP didn’t play as well on defense that the post players on All defense team. LaChina said stats don’t lie. CP was just as good if not better. I just find it funny people saying she shouldn’t get DPOY because she finally played defense. Funny because she won a title with her defense on Fowler’s & Brunson.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/30/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyway Congrats to all the members of All Defense Team esp Sykes on making the 2nd team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/20 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official All WNBA Teams 2020

1st Team

Sloot
Arike
Parker
Wilson
Stewart

2nd Team
Skylar
Diana
DB
MHA
Pheesa

PostPosted: 10/04/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
I’ll guess:

Vandersloot
Taurasi
Collier
Wilson
Stewart

Diggins-Smith
Ogunbowale
Laney
Hines-Allen
Parker

Sloot
Arike
Parker
Wilson
Stewart

And I completely forgot about Bonner. Embarassed

And Stewart wasn’t unanimous. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/04/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner over Alyssa Thomas makes no sense

PostPosted: 10/04/20 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
And Stewart wasn’t unanimous. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Still counts as First-Team all the same, so I’m good. Cool

pilight wrote:
Bonner over Alyssa Thomas makes no sense

+1

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say "I told you so" about Ogunbowale

PostPosted: 10/05/20 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Oh, yeah, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say "I told you so" about Ogunbowale

+1

PostPosted: 10/05/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See the Three Stooges below for complaints:

||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
\/

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/05/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arike improved her shot selection this year...but she still hoisted a lot. She played for a pretty bad, non-playoff team. It's hard for me to see how she deserves first team just because of total points, but it's not totally outrageous. I probably would have switched her and DT.

It is kind of outrageous that AT wasn't on the second team. Again, the only thing Bonner did 'better' than her was PPG. Otherwise AT was better across the board. Both of them were of course key to CT's success this year.

Anyway the voters were at least in the ballpark.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: