0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Someone else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/15/20 1:28 am    ::: DPOY Reply Reply with quote

We've talked about all the other award categories at length, but not DPOY - which this year will be a lot less of an obvious winner than in years past. Last year's winner Natasha Howard got off to a slow start and her stats dramatically decreased from last season so it won't be her. Previous winners Sylvia Fowles and Brittney Griner played only partial seasons this year, taking them out of the running. Alana Beard of course retired. So we're all but assured to get someone new this year, but the question is, who?

I don't know for sure what categories they look at, but I'm guessing the major ones taken into consideration include Defensive Rebounds per game (DRPG), Steals per game (SPG), Blocks per game (BPG), and Defensive Win Shares (Def WS) - probably amongst other ones.

The likely candidates, with notable stats listed:

Alysha Clark: Led League in Def WS (.220), 1.5 SPG

Napheesa Collier: 6.3 DRPG, 1.8 SPG, 1.3 BPG

Candace Parker: Led League in DRPG (8.0), 1.2 SPG, 1.2 BPG, .163 Def WS

Breanna Stewart: 7.3 DRPG, 1.7 SPG, 1.3 BPG, .205 Def WS

Alyssa Thomas: Led League in SPG (2.0), 7.2 DRPG, .171 Def WS

Brianna Turner: 6.4 DRPG, 1.95 BPG, 1.1 SPG

A'ja Wilson: Led League in BPG (2.0), 7.0 DRPG, 1.2 SPG, .174 Def WS

Hope I'm not missing anyone obvious! Poll will run through Saturday.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/20 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's CP for me , the progression from how her defense use to be and her rebounding effort til now deserves recognition . Give Princess the award yall Laughing Laughing Alysha Clark in a close 2nd. ESPN /WNBA is not going to let the princess leave awardless after the effort she gave in the bubble Laughing Laughing Is she the best defender in the league ? HELL NO , but shes Candace Effin Parker !

PostPosted: 09/24/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace has won. The comments here should be entertaining congrats CP DPOY!

PostPosted: 09/24/20 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alysha should have won, who is in the playoffs? Who take on the toughest opponents in the league. Alysha does.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What an absolute load of horseshit.

Someone in the Sparks PR department should get a hefty bonus.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/20 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Anybody who can convert her from the 33 year old brooding and pouting player on the bench she was last year to the selfless DPOY she was this year deserves to be named the REAL COY. That ain’t no joke.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/24/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Anybody who can convert her from the 33 year old brooding and pouting player on the bench she was last year to the selfless DPOY she was this year deserves to be named the REAL COY. That ain’t no joke.

I wont oblige.... +1

PostPosted: 09/24/20 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This award is a joke and the people that voted for Parker should be ashamed of themselves Rolling Eyes

The biggest disrepect that you can give Clark or any other good defensive player (heck the Storm have 2 other players that are better defenders then Parker) is to give the award to media favorite Candace Parker Shocked

Richyyy i am waiting for a nice video of all the ''great" defense that Parker played this season Laughing if you have the time Laughing

I am feeling sorry for Dangerfield tonight Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/24/20 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
This award is a joke and the people that voted for Parker should be ashamed of themselves Rolling Eyes

The biggest disrepect that you can give Clark or any other good defensive player (heck the Storm have 2 other players that are better defenders then Parker) is to give the award to media favorite Candace Parker Shocked

Richyyy i am waiting for a nice video of all the ''great" defense that Parker played this season Laughing if you have the time Laughing

There's some on the board already , I do agree Clark is a better on ball defender . Candace was no slouch on that end either this season . Her effort in the bubble and big defensive improvement from where she was is what bought the voters i think. Clark has always been a good defender but i guess CP's improvement was too good to pass up as i doubt she wins any other big league awards the rest of her career. The WNBA's way of saying "Thank You" for being a face of this league.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

There's some on the board already , I do agree Clark is a better on ball defender . Candace was no slouch on that end either this season . Her effort in the bubble and big defensive improvement from where she was is what bought the voters i think. Clark has always been a good defender but i guess CP's improvement was too good to pass up as i doubt she wins any other big league awards the rest of her career. The WNBA's way of saying "Thank You" for being a face of this league.

So because she went from horrible and one of the laziest defenders in the league to being an average defender at best they gave her this award Question

Like i said its a joke. The DPOY should go to someone that is the defensive stopper (put on the best opponent at that position day in day out) or a player who is the mean reason that makes a team the best defensive team in the league..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DPOY, but rarely draws an opponent’s best PF/C unless she has to. Surprised

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It pays to be a name! Thomas or Clark should've been..but like I said in years past, when you have voters who haven't even covered a full story on the WNBA voting then things like this happen.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
The WNBA's way of saying "Thank You" for being a face of this league.

That's what the Sportsmanship Award is for.

Parker winning isn't as big a joke as Lauren Jackson winning in 2007

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
The WNBA's way of saying "Thank You" for being a face of this league.

That's what the Sportsmanship Award is for.

Parker winning isn't as big a joke as Lauren Jackson winning in 2007

+1

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It should have been Clark, but lots of exaggeration in this thread as well. Parker has clearly been good enough to be All-Defensive.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

I am feeling sorry for Dangerfield tonight Laughing

https://youtu.be/k7GDNWBFzqY

Randy

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW. Basketball Ref.'s Advanced Stats show Parker beats Clark in 4 defensive metrics. Stewart beats her in all 5 and beats Parker in 3.

DR% Blk% Stl% DR DWS
Parker 32.7 3.8 2 95 1.8
Clark 12.9 1.5 2.6 97 1.5
Stewart 26.4 3.8 2.7 91 2.0

pilight

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This award didn't come from nowhere. Parker has received multiple DPY votes several times before. She even finished second in balloting in 2009. She's also made the All Defense team on multiple occasions. The Sparks defense was good despite the lineup turmoil (only two players played every game) and has barely missed a beat since Alana Beard retired.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This award didn't come from nowhere. Parker has received multiple DPY votes several times before. She even finished second in balloting in 2009. She's also made the All Defense team on multiple occasions. The Sparks defense was good despite the lineup turmoil (only two players played every game) and has barely missed a beat since Alana Beard retired.

Man, don't even bother. You know that there are some people who just hate Candace Parker, to the point that she'll never be able to do right, as far as they're concerned. As the self-proclaimed Baron of #HateHard, I'm not even mad at it, except for when it comes from people who act like their dislike of Parker is rational, and justified.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not particularly mad at Parker for winning, but it would have been nice for the love to have been spread a little bit. The league isn't going to drum up new interest if they're constantly handing out awards to the same 5 players over and over.

And I would also like to throw out that there is no real metric for on-ball defense, so the stats of interior players (because of rebounds and blocks) are almost always going to look better than the defensive stats of perimeter defenders. If there were a stat for "FG% of guarded players", I would bet that Clark would be at the top of that list by a mile.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 09/24/20 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
but lots of exaggeration in this thread as well.

X.________

PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Is she the best defender in the league ? HELL NO , but shes Candace Effin Parker !

😩

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/24/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Is she the best defender in the league ? HELL NO , but shes Candace Effin Parker !

😩

**FACE PALM*** If I knew what i know now !! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/24/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

😩

Lol the DPOY got schooled and blew out by a team with a losing record in the playoffs Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/24/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

😩

Lol the DPOY got schooled and blew out by a team with a losing record in the playoffs Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

True but she earned her individual accolades. She also didn't disappoint in that blow out so I'm sure she will take this consolation .

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: