RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 4329
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/25/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is is another episode of show As the Dream Implodes .



_________________
The 2021 NBA Champions Milwaukee Bucks. For the Culture!
johnjohnW



Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 475



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/25/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's the poster who never misses an opportunity to slam Renee and the new ownership? They're missing an opportunity.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8631



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/25/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream statement also says:

Quote:
Petersen, who has coached at multiple levels for close to 40 years, will move to an advisory role within the Dream Front Office.

“It has been a pleasure working with and getting to know Coach Mike,” Dream Majority Owner Larry Gottesdiener said. “We appreciate his willingness to step up and take on the role of head coach this season and everything he has done for the team. His experience and leadership will continue to be a benefit to the organization as he transitions to his new role.”


Not sure which case that helps - voluntary resigned/involuntarily removed. It would make more sense if it said "non-traveling assistant coach". I guess he doesn't have to give just coaching advice, it could also be GM advice. Or it may just be keeping him on the payroll for the rest of the season as a courtesy with no real duties.

Didn't notice that they shortened the WNBA season by two games this year.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1177
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dupree to the Dream.

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-wnba-veteran-candice-dupree/


BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 646
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Dupree to the Dream.

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-wnba-veteran-candice-dupree/


Just saw this on Instagram as well. I'm not really surprised either. Maybe the Olympic break will give her renewed spirit and energy. Hopefully she will also mesh well with the team.


TigerVol



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 2177
Location: ATL


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
The Dream statement also says:

Quote:
Petersen, who has coached at multiple levels for close to 40 years, will move to an advisory role within the Dream Front Office.

“It has been a pleasure working with and getting to know Coach Mike,” Dream Majority Owner Larry Gottesdiener said. “We appreciate his willingness to step up and take on the role of head coach this season and everything he has done for the team. His experience and leadership will continue to be a benefit to the organization as he transitions to his new role.”


Not sure which case that helps - voluntary resigned/involuntarily removed. It would make more sense if it said "non-traveling assistant coach". I guess he doesn't have to give just coaching advice, it could also be GM advice. Or it may just be keeping him on the payroll for the rest of the season as a courtesy with no real duties.

Didn't notice that they shortened the WNBA season by two games this year.


Clearly the dream mgmt had no interest in getting a head coach this year else they wouldn't have pressed Peterson into the role from the start - the man has never aspired to be a head coach.

Add all the drama and personalities and does it really even matter?

Maybe he has new health issues.

Maybe it is a case of "this is why I never aspired to be a head coach."

Maybe it was a win/win for both sides.

I will believe this group is serious when they hire some quality front office people and a coach.



_________________
"Never put an age limit on your dreams" - Dara Torres 2008
Milks26



Joined: 25 Mar 2021
Posts: 416



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Dupree to the Dream.

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-wnba-veteran-candice-dupree/


Should be a good move for them & her


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23362
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Dupree to the Dream.

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-wnba-veteran-candice-dupree/

What a hilariously perfect fit between team and player.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 57492



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/21 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
Clearly the dream mgmt had no interest in getting a head coach this year else they wouldn't have pressed Peterson into the role from the start - the man has never aspired to be a head coach.


ATL didn’t need a head coach. They had Collen. Kinda hard to hire a new coach and get them up to speed that quickly. Odds of winning were better with the assistants that were familiar with the team.

As far as never aspiring to be a head coach, you could have fooled me. He’s had a long career as a head coach for women’s college basketball, including being WFU’s winningest head coach.
https://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-add-mike-petersen-assistant-coach/

TigerVol wrote:
Maybe he has new health issues.


I guess it’s possible, but somehow he’s still healthy enough for a Dream front office job. I guess the front office isn’t as grindy.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 2177
Location: ATL


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
Clearly the dream mgmt had no interest in getting a head coach this year else they wouldn't have pressed Peterson into the role from the start - the man has never aspired to be a head coach.


ATL didn’t need a head coach. They had Collen. Kinda hard to hire a new coach and get them up to speed that quickly. Odds of winning were better with the assistants that were familiar with the team.

As far as never aspiring to be a head coach, you could have fooled me. He’s had a long career as a head coach for women’s college basketball, including being WFU’s winningest head coach.
https://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-add-mike-petersen-assistant-coach/


TigerVol wrote:
Maybe he has new health issues.


I guess it’s possible, but somehow he’s still healthy enough for a Dream front office job. I guess the front office isn’t as grindy.



Didn't have one after she quit which was not shocking after the GM who brought her in was fired.

Really? Could have fooled me the way people are dragging him for being a crappy head coach.

My bad you are right - No aspiration to be a head coach for the dream.

I guess you are lucky enough to have never had health issues to be able to think the the possibilities.

Maybe he needs treatment and can't travel.

Maybe he needs to limit his exposure to germs.

Maybe he doesn't have the energy it takes to travel and coach a team vs. Working a front office job that is likely remote.

I can see questioning (though I don't get why) but to question on the basis that a wnba head coach in season is the same as an office job that is likely mostly remote so he must be lying about his health. Well that seems a poor construct for your position.



_________________
"Never put an age limit on your dreams" - Dara Torres 2008
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10849



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No timetable for Carter's return.



https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1420121197006647300?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1420121197006647300%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwbbdaily.boards.net%2Fthread%2F375%2Fatlanta-dream-2021%3Fpage%3D17

Quote:

womenshoopsworld
@hoopism
·
2h
As per an Atlanta Dream spokesperson, the owners and coaches of the team are working "directly" with Chennedy Carter, who was suspended indefinitely July 5, for conduct detrimental to the team. The franchise does not have a timetable for her return. Practices resume this week.


dreamfan11



Joined: 11 Oct 2017
Posts: 52



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Where's the poster who never misses an opportunity to slam Renee and the new ownership? They're missing an opportunity.



Here I am! Thanks for asking - been on vacation and tried to clear my head on all of this. My opinions have NOT changed - I believe the new owners have completely screwed up this team. It was positioned for success, and then the dominos began to fall - inexperience and lack of leadership was evident. A GM could have found a new coach; the current and now former had plenty of experience, but did not want to be a HC; the now current HC has no experience in that position. The owner is trying to play GM and that has gone horribly wrong since the draft. So, there is still no REAL GM, no team COO (who were both the same person before the firing), and a bunch of role players leading the charge. Renee is the biggest joke around the league - her "ownership" is purely token, and Larry and Sue have no experience whatsoever in sports. They should have bought the team, assessed for a season, then made changes. However, they wanted to prove they are smarter than the rest of us, and here we go as fans again, suffering another through year. I do believe this is the first time in W history a team has had three HC in one season - so we have that going for us! As for CC, she is one of the most skilled players ever - but, her lack of intelligence and ability to not get emotional or feel that the word is against her is her downfall - her skills will be wasted if she cant get things right in the head. Trade? Her value is really down, so trading just to trade makes no sense because ATL will lose on the trade itself, especially if she figures things out. And those who make up make-believe rosters - I saw something about Angel and Fowles - stop it! Just because you think it is good, they players have reasons to stay where they are - that is why there are so few trades historically. When there are 14, 16 or 20 teams, then it becomes real. Plus, with all the changes and f-ed up ownership, why come to ATL? Because they give them good gifts? They are buying their affections? They probably wanted a chance to win, and would have had it before they took over. Mic drop - see you in a few weeks!


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10849



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/21 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"On Wednesday, sources told The Next that the team is planning the rest of its season under the assumption that Carter will not play for the team. Atlanta’s young star has not played since July after she was suspended following a game against the Las Vegas Aces. She has not returned to the team since the incident.

Sources also told The Next that the team is “highly unlikely” to move Carter before the August 21 trade deadline."




https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/how-the-atlanta-dream-can-capitalize-on-their-last-sliver-of-hope/


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63563
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta Dream Bring Back Blake Dietrick

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-bring-back-blake-dietrick/



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15811
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Atlanta Dream Bring Back Blake Dietrick

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-bring-back-blake-dietrick/


That'll fix it!


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 29443



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she's a nice glue player...and a neutral type personality. One suspects they need that type.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10849



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Atlanta Dream Bring Back Blake Dietrick

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-bring-back-blake-dietrick/


That'll fix it!


C'mon now -she took her USA 3x3 team to 4th place in Romania. Anyway - why did the need to wait till now to discover they could make Parker Inactive?


BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 646
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had asked earlier in the thread where she's been. So this makes it really look like Carter isn't coming back. They may not be sure about Hayes either.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6771
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Anyway - why did the need to wait till now to discover they could make Parker Inactive?


They weren't sure how long pregnancies last.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23362
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As you can see on the Transactions page, they moved Parker to the 'pregnancy/childbirth' list 10 days ago, when the season started up again. They're just mentioning it now to explain the roster space.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63563
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/spencernusbaum_/status/1435591630829068289

Quote:
The Atlanta Dream have a new President/COO — co-owners Larry Gottesdiener & Renee Montgomery will announce the individual today at 2 pm EST.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63563
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream names NFL Executive and Sports Industry Veteran Morgan Shaw Parker as President and Chief Operating Officer

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-names-nfl-executive-and-sports-industry-veteran-morgan-shaw-parker-as-president-and-chief-operating-officer/

Quote:
Most recently she served as Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at Arthur M. Blank Sports & Entertainment (AMBSE) where she led marketing and communications initiatives for the Atlanta Falcons and Mercedes-Benz Stadium.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Milks26



Joined: 25 Mar 2021
Posts: 416



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to her. Wish her all the best. Smile



_________________
~Satou's the truth~
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10849



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck to her. One thing missing from her job description is hiring and/or firing coaches and GMs. So hopefully a GM announcement will be coming. Experienced, successful WNBA GMs are pretty scarce and the good ones already have jobs.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23362
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Good luck to her. One thing missing from her job description is hiring and/or firing coaches and GMs. So hopefully a GM announcement will be coming. Experienced, successful WNBA GMs are pretty scarce and the good ones already have jobs.

It may not be in there specifically, but if you're calling someone 'President' then they're probably going to be pretty involved in picking a GM at least. Managing 'human resources' is in the list, so that could cover it if they wanted it to.

Sienko was President/GM, so this appears to be a different framework regardless. Hopefully they get someone in within the next 3-4 months or so to actually run team operations, because free agency and contract signings needs someone to be making decisions.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin