RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 01/09/21 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Is there another professional sports team owner in US sports history that was so universally hated by their players as Loeffler? Even if there is, she's most definitely up there with the worst of them.

At least the players can take solace that she's losing money.

She probably spent more on election ads in a week than she lost on the Dream in season.....

pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Is there another professional sports team owner in US sports history that was so universally hated by their players as Loeffler?

The White Sox once threw a World Series to spite Charlie Comiskey's miserliness

PostPosted: 01/09/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Is there another professional sports team owner in US sports history that was so universally hated by their players as Loeffler?

There was also Marg Schott and Donald Sterling. I can't honestly say how the players felt about them. Kelly is different from those two in that she use her platform to speak out loudly against a cause the players believed strongly in.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/11/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Renee Montgomery is a football team owner. She owns a team in the Fan Controlled Football league. I guess fans vote on which players the team should have. Seems like if it a WBB team all of us amateur GM's would love it.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports/renee-montgomery-opts-into-football-league/QLEWYYECGZHXZKQQLGZ7O2LDXY/

NYSports56

PostPosted: 01/11/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

That's a good answer. Pretty much on a par with Loeffler, the way I look at it.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s Nothing Strange About Kelly Loeffler Owning A WNBA Team

https://defector.com/theres-nothing-strange-about-kelly-loeffler-owning-a-wnba-team/

Quote:
It’s the increasingly wobbly, expansive language of women’s empowerment that led Kathy Betty to meet Loeffler in a billionaire’s box at the Georgia Dome and see in her “the WNBA ethos.” If she is publicly at odds with the ethos’s namesake organization right now, Loeffler probably still believes she—confident, tenacious go-getter Kelly Loeffler—embodies it.

PostPosted: 01/19/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A WNBA spokesperson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “As it relates to the Atlanta Dream, we understand a sale of the franchise is close to being finalized. Once the sale negotiation is concluded, additional information will be provided.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports/wnbas-atlanta-dream-on-verge-of-being-sold/IVEZT3CR6BAFHCNGWXMHNR3SJ4/

Scarab

PostPosted: 01/19/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Atlanta Dream close to being sold; Kelly Loeffler to have no association with team, sources say"
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30744823/atlanta-dream-sale-close-being-finalized-wnba-says

PostPosted: 01/20/21 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im curious to find out who are the potential buyers. I saw Lebron and a couple of other athletes wanted to step up and buy the Dream. But did they put their money where their mouth is

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/us/wnba-atlanta-dream-sale-kelly-loeffler-spt-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/us/wnba-atlanta-dream-sale-kelly-loeffler-spt-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: 01/20/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Im curious to find out who are the potential buyers. I saw Lebron and a couple of other athletes wanted to step up and buy the Dream. But did they put their money where their mouth is

Per the ESPN article:

Sources told ESPN on Tuesday that up to five bidders have expressed interest in buying the team, with Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), currently a co-owner, expected to have no association with the franchise after the sale.

I hope the list of potential buyers is released.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/20/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chamath Palihapitiya is a key guy in all this - he is the richest person who tweeted he would join LeBron's group. He's also a board member of the Golden State Warriors and a minority owner of the team.

https://thesportsrush.com/is-lebron-james-buying-atlanta-dream-wnba-announces-that-sale-of-franchise-owned-by-kelly-loeffler-is-under-way/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/20/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good Riddance Kelly Loeffler, the WNBA will be better without you
Donovan Dooley (Deadspin)
January 20, 2021

Loeffler never deserved to be connected to the powerful women of the WNBA.

She stands for the suppression of marginalized voices and the WNBA will never be silent.

Good riddance Kelly Loeffler.

https://deadspin.com/good-riddance-kelly-loeffler-the-wnba-will-be-better-w-1846093803

Randy

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we ought to have a WNBA Owners Hall of Shame poll. Which WNBA owner was the WOAT (Worst of All Time)? Loeffler, Hideous Lord Jimmy, Paula Madison? The Maloofs? The Mystics owners Ted and Sheila. All have gotten a bit of un-love around here.....

pilight

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheyenne Parker was a good get. I was hoping we could re-sign Laney or make a push for Powers.

It's amazing how quickly the market dried up. Assuming Meesseman is non-option and the remaining big names (Charles, Taurasi, Bird) stay put we're down to hoping Stricklen can return to her Sun form. That or thinking "Tianna Hawkins might be ok" or "Essence Carson might not be completely done" or "What does the 2022 draft look like?"

PostPosted: 01/29/21 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's amazing how quickly the market dried up. Assuming Meesseman is non-option and the remaining big names (Charles, Taurasi, Bird) stay put we're down to hoping Stricklen can return to her Sun form. That or thinking "Tianna Hawkins might be ok" or "Essence Carson might not be completely done" or "What does the 2022 draft look like?"

Still a few unclaimed post players that I'm at least semi-interested in seeing where they go: Breland, Dupree, GloJo, Zahui B...

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/29/21 5:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

Carter/Cazorla
C. Williams/Dietrick
Hayes/Strickland
E. Williams/Billings
Ch. Parker/Brown/Brewer

pick #3 (Davis, Onyenwere, Austin)

possibly swap out someone for Montgomery or GloJo or even Pivec?
back up guards and Centers seem replaceable

This might be a decent landing spot for Hawkins or Breland or Dupree if they are trying to win sooner rather than later

E. Williams and Hayes have some trade value because they are still on old CBA contracts this season

Atlanta seems about two moves away from being good, they are in the good enough to compete for a lowish playoff spot tier ATM but there is still something a little wonky with this roster (am I forgetting someone?)

tfan

PostPosted: 01/29/21 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
January 20, 2021

She stands for the suppression of marginalized voices and the WNBA will never be silent.

https://deadspin.com/good-riddance-kelly-loeffler-the-wnba-will-be-better-w-1846093803

At the time Loeffler wrote a letter to the WNBA in protest of their Black Lives Matter support, BLM and anything related to them or their cause was not a marginalized voice. So utterly unmarginalized that it was a very tone deaf move by Loeffler.

It would be great if the WNBA decided to lead on an issue of racial inequality that is backed up by the data: black unemployment rates (and black income levels). It's been higher than white or Hispanic unemployment for the entire life of the WNBA. Before the pandemic it was said to be at an all-time low, but all unemployment rates had come down so it was still higher than the unemployment rate of other groups. Washington is now Democratic and anxious to help our illegal workforce. Maybe the WNBA can use their influence to also get the politicians to focus on unemployed and underemployed American black workers.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
January 20, 2021

At the time Loeffler wrote a letter to the WNBA in protest of their Black Lives Matter support, BLM and anything related to them or their cause was not a marginalized voice. So utterly unmarginalized that it was a very tone deaf move by Loeffler.

It would be great if the WNBA decided to lead on an issue of racial inequality that is backed up by the data: black unemployment rates (and black income levels). It's been higher than white or Hispanic unemployment for the entire life of the WNBA. Before the pandemic it was said to be at an all-time low, but all unemployment rates had come down so it was still higher than the unemployment rate of other groups. Washington is now Democratic and anxious to help our illegal workforce. Maybe the WNBA can use their influence to also get the politicians to focus on unemployed and underemployed American black workers.

Maybe the largely Black players and league know more about what is important to them and their voice than you do?

Randy

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Touche PUmatty. It seems to me that the WNBA BLM support morphed into the message to "get out and vote" - not Marxism and all the other things Kelly ascribed to it. That message seemed to work and Kelly continued to show her contempt for the outcome supported Trump's lies that the election was a fraud, especially in Georgia. She didn't abandon that position until she lost her election and was hiding from Trump's mob under a table somewhere in Capital building.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/30/21 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Maybe the largely Black players and league know more about what is important to them and their voice than you do?

I was only expressing what I thought was important and should be addressed. I wasn't trying to suggest that black unemployment or income levels were something the WNBA or WNBA players felt or would feel were important enough to address.

Randy wrote:
It seems to me that the WNBA BLM support morphed into the message to "get out and vote"

Now that the vote has gone their (NBA and WNBA) way it will be interesting to see if they become active in advocating for Biden and Congress to take any actions. Biden is writing a record amount of executive orders and has control of Congress and could be ready to take action for more than just his donors and beltway insiders.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/03/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports/atlanta-dream-made-parker-an-offer-she-couldnt-refuse/VR6WVTNK5NAB3PLYNR6JE7LJ3Q/

Quote:
I found out that I actually had a much higher worth than what I was being offered with Chicago,” Parker said Tuesday. “Once I realized that and I heard there were a few other teams interested, I did weigh my options, obviously. However, Atlanta was a no-brainer as far as all the other teams that were offering.”

Parker went to high school in Atlanta before moving to North Carolina to finish high school and still has family and friends in the area. Off the court, she’s interested in entrepreneurship and is drawn to the growing Black-owned business population in Atlanta, as well as the opportunities in movie production in the area. Moving to Atlanta felt like a natural fit, and that’s without even considering the basketball aspect.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/03/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You want to get paid? Go to Atlanta.

Passing out money like monopoly.

PostPosted: 02/03/21 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
You want to get paid? Go to Atlanta.

Passing out money like monopoly.

As long as Loeffler is the owner that's the only way they'll get people to come.

If I were Atlanta I'd be putting the full court press on Meesseman. A lineup of Carter/Hayes/Meesseman/Parker/E Williams isn't a championship team but it would cause problems for opponents in a lot of different ways.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: