RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Top 25 @ 25

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 9:54 am    ::: Top 25 @ 25 Reply Reply with quote

https://acrossthetimeline.com/a/wnba-top-25.html

Quote:
Back in 2006, the WNBA named an All-Decade Team to celebrate the league's 10 "best and most influential players," and that has continued every five years since, expanding the list by five each time. In 2011 it was the Top 15 Players, in 2016 the Top 20@20, and if that trend continues, it will be time for a Top 25 in 2021.

Based on the league's past advertised eligibility requirements, the following interactive tool allows you to quickly explore the players eligible for, nominated for, and voted to each of the past lists, as well as the players projected to be eligible for the Top 25. Click any list name along the top to travel back in time to the time of that list's selection, and filter the players down using the buttons along the left side ("eligible," "finalists," and "the list"). From there, clicking a player's name reveals their WNBA career information as of that year.

Take some time to explore, and then scroll down for more quick facts about the league's top players.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the list is ultimately fairly obvious

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Tamika Catchings
Tina Charles
Cynthia Cooper
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Yolanda Griffith
Brittney Griner
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Angel McCoughtry
Maya Moore
Deanna Nolan
Candace Parker
Ticha Penicheiro
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Breanna Stewart
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson
Courtney Vandersloot
Lindsay Whalen


Honorable mentions

Swin Cash
Skylar Diggins
Katie Douglas
Nneka Ogwumike
Natalie Williams



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1026



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hate for Cambage..


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 3090



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I think the list is ultimately fairly obvious

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Tamika Catchings
Tina Charles
Cynthia Cooper
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Yolanda Griffith
Brittney Griner
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Angel McCoughtry
Maya Moore
Deanna Nolan
Candace Parker
Ticha Penicheiro
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Breanna Stewart
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson
Courtney Vandersloot
Lindsay Whalen


Honorable mentions

Swin Cash
Skylar Diggins
Katie Douglas
Nneka Ogwumike
Natalie Williams



Spot on list Pilight! Shocked Shocked


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
The hate for Cambage..


She was drafted 10 years ago and has played 3 1/2 seasons. If she would show up with some regularity, she might get considered.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)


The 25 I would pick.

In reality there's very little chance that Ogwumike, a former MVP, will be left out. One of the PGs (Sloot or Penicheiro) will likely get dumped for her. Ogwumike is overrated, IMO, and her MVP season is so out of line from the rest of her career I'm inclined to discount it.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too surprised if Deanna Nolan dropped back off the list now we're further removed from her abbreviated WNBA career. Or if Swin Cash managed to cling on (partially thanks to still being somewhat in the public eye). An interesting element is that the league is old enough now that we have legitimate longevity vs briefer excellence arguments. Players like Brunson and even Dupree will get votes based on accumulated stats even if their peaks weren't as high as some other options.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15477
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise, but I wouldn't have Ticha near my list. If you are unable or unwilling to learn to shoot/score, you don't belong on a best-of team. I know this is a minority opinion, but my mind is pretty firmly set.

Also, no surprise that I would add Douglas in her place.


Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 20611



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise, but I would never have Katie Douglas on any list that didn't already have Penny Taylor on it



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1026



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)


The 25 I would pick.

In reality there's very little chance that Ogwumike, a former MVP, will be left out. One of the PGs (Sloot or Penicheiro) will likely get dumped for her. Ogwumike is overrated, IMO, and her MVP season is so out of line from the rest of her career I'm inclined to discount it.

She shouldn't have been the MVP that year


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
No surprise, but I would never have Katie Douglas on any list that didn't already have Penny Taylor on it


I didn't put that much thought into the 5th honorable mention (they're listed alphabetically)



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 20611



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
No surprise, but I would never have Katie Douglas on any list that didn't already have Penny Taylor on it


I didn't put that much thought into the 5th honorable mention (they're listed alphabetically)


Lists are tricky when the definition is open to interpretation.
Your 25 is very good IMO.



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10043
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)


The 25 I would pick.

In reality there's very little chance that Ogwumike, a former MVP, will be left out. One of the PGs (Sloot or Penicheiro) will likely get dumped for her. Ogwumike is overrated, IMO, and her MVP season is so out of line from the rest of her career I'm inclined to discount it.

She shouldn't have been the MVP that year


Yeah Tina got robbed probably was her best and last shot, But LA was better even though NY earned a bye that year.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 736



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I 100% agree that Penicheiro should be replaced by Douglas. 4x All-WNBA, 5x All-Defensive, greatest left-handed female ever to play the sport (prove me wrong). For me the last spot comes down to Nolan or Ogwumike, with Ogwumike narrowly edging out Nolan.




Last edited by PickledGinger on 12/01/20 3:15 am; edited 2 times in total
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5709
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles would’ve been a two-time MVP winner without getting no where close to a Finals appearance in a shallow Eastern Conference and almost had as many field goal attempts as points, for a PF/C.

MVP went to that right person that year, IMO.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61663
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I 100% agree that Penicheiro should be replaced by Douglas. 4x All-WNBA, 5x All-Defensive, greatest left-handed female ever to play the sport (prove me wrong). For me the last spot comes down to Nolan or Ogwumike, with Ogwumike narrowly edging out Nolan.


Lisa Leslie is left handed...



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6036
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was initially puzzled by Sugar Rodgers being in the pool. Then, I figured out that she meets 3 of the qualifying criteria because:

1) She was a deep bench player on the 2013 Lynx Championship team.

2) Sugar had a good 2016 season, but there was no All-Star game that year. The following season, she got some make-up, sympathy votes and was named to the 2017 Eastern Conference All-Star team.

3) Rodgers began the 2017 season as a starter, but subsequently lost her starting job because of poor shooting. The WNBA press, clearly not paying attention, looked at Sugar’s 10.5 ppg and voted her Sixth Woman of the Year.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 736



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
I 100% agree that Penicheiro should be replaced by Douglas. 4x All-WNBA, 5x All-Defensive, greatest left-handed female ever to play the sport (prove me wrong). For me the last spot comes down to Nolan or Ogwumike, with Ogwumike narrowly edging out Nolan.


Lisa Leslie is left handed...


Rolling Eyes Everbody loves a contrarian (not). Fine! Greatest female player to have shot with her left hand. Ya happy?

Wink

I would love to throw another name into the discussion. Ranking 13th and 14th respectively with 16.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game in her career, 3x All-WNBA and 6x All-Star in 11 seasons, the league's most criminally overlooked superstar: Chamique Holdsclaw.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin