RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smh. One of many reasons why I hate this playoff system. A team’s fans shouldn’t have to have a 10 PM playoff start time for an elimination game. It’s absurd.

It’s unfair for a team with 19 wins like Phoenix to have to win two one and done scenarios to get to the semis as well. They had a strong enough season to earn a best of three opportunity to either advance or go home.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 09/19/21 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
We’re on a one-game winning streak. We’re hot. And honestly with this horrendous playoff system, a three-point shooting team always has a chance in a one-and-done. I’m not saying it’s going to happen or anything crazy. But a perimeter team always has a chance in these scenarios.

It's unlikely, but it's possible. Upsets happen, especially in a one-game playoff round.

I'm really happy for the Liberty players. They've faced a lot of adversity this season. We won't have Willoughby, Durr, Johannes, or Han on Thursday, but we will have Laney, Howard, Ionescu, and Whitcomb. I'm excited!

Yeah it’s a good opportunity to experience a pressure situation. I’m hoping it helps with the development aspect that Walt addresses 27 times per press conference. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s also a good opportunity to repay Phoenix for knocking us out in a similar scenario in 2016.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can't even screw up right.

Will I be rooting for us to ruin Phoenix's lives? Yes. Do I think it'll happen? No. Will I be watching? Yes, probably.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
We’re on a one-game winning streak. We’re hot. And honestly with this horrendous playoff system, a three-point shooting team always has a chance in a one-and-done. I’m not saying it’s going to happen or anything crazy. But a perimeter team always has a chance in these scenarios.

It's unlikely, but it's possible. Upsets happen, especially in a one-game playoff round.

I'm really happy for the Liberty players. They've faced a lot of adversity this season. We won't have Willoughby, Durr, Johannes, or Han on Thursday, but we will have Laney, Howard, Ionescu, and Whitcomb. I'm excited!

We won the season series against Chicago just throwing that out there for the 6-7 matchup ….

PostPosted: 09/19/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With their ability to shoot 3s and create shots Dallas is a threat to score 90+ at anytime. Like the Libs, they’re inconsistent but I wouldn’t put it past them to pull it off.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Smh. One of many reasons why I hate this playoff system. A team’s fans shouldn’t have to have a 10 PM playoff start time for an elimination game. It’s absurd.

It’s unfair for a team with 19 wins like Phoenix to have to win two one and done scenarios to get to the semis as well. They had a strong enough season to earn a best of three opportunity to either advance or go home.

This one thing we can agree on. I would rather the first game be the only one elimination game and the 2nd game should be a best of three series.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/19/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
This one thing we can agree on. I would rather the first game be the only one elimination game and the 2nd game should be a best of three series.

I hate one-and-done even for first round games. But it's even more outrageous for the second round. I agree with you.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By most statistical measures I come up with, and just by simple record, the 2021 Liberty are the worst playoff team in league history.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
By most statistical measures I come up with, and just by simple record, the 2021 Liberty are the worst playoff team in league history.

Which allows the marketing department to use the headline, "New York Liberty have a historic year!"

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Since I'm a fan, I'm delighted that my team is in the playoffs. But 12-20, a terrible .375 winning percentage, and getting in because two equally bad teams lost on the final day of the season. Ugh.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am glad we made the playoffs

I think we will do OK with the #5 pick. I realize we had an end of season collapse but I still think our core (Ionescu, Howard, Laney and Whitcomb) is really good, our supporting players are decent (Onyenwere, Allen if we bring her back, Richards, Jones) we have some players who missed this season who could come back and add a lot (Johannes, Willoughby, Durr, Han) a decent draft pick and one more free agent and NY will be ready to go to the next level in 22.

We can probably benefit from a playoff game (or two?).

The only bad thing is PX is a terrible match up for us, we have no one to guard Griner and athletic guards like Diggins-Smith-Smith usually have our number.

But has already been stated if NY can shoot a high percentage on a lot of threes we can surprise anyone. And after a long string of poor play NY looked like it has some pride and swagger back in its win against Washington.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY went from the top half in the first half of the season to the 2020 Liberty post olympic break. NY & Seattle were hurt the most by the olympic break.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Early in the season, Laney was right in the MVP mix along with Jones & Stewart. That feels like a long time ago now.
I feel like no team has been hurt more than NY by Laney's drop in form.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Early in the season, Laney was right in the MVP mix along with Jones & Stewart. That feels like a long time ago now.

Maybe teams adjusted the scout on her ? She came out a blazing and the 2nd half she had a considerable dip .

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Maybe teams adjusted the scout on her ? She came out a blazing and the 2nd half she had a considerable dip .

It might be regression to the mean. There is not a great track record for MIP players continuing to play at the MIP year level.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Laney deserves the lion share of the blame though.

In the last game (the win against Washington) Ionescu and Howard played like all-stars I believed that is how the team was designed and we never really saw that this season. The fact that Laney stepped up in the first half of the season was the reason we didn't look as bad as we could have. In a perfect world Laney is the 3rd option on this team.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/20/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Absolutely right. Of course opposing coaches put more focus on Laney. She was playing at an All Star, perhaps MVP level. Howard wasn't active. Ionescu was playing at less than 100%. And I believe Laney got a little worn down by the intense defensive focus on her and by having to carry the team.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Absolutely right. Of course opposing coaches put more focus on Laney. She was playing at an All Star, perhaps MVP level. Howard wasn't active. Ionescu was playing at less than 100%. And I believe Laney got a little worn down by the intense defensive focus on her and by having to carry the team.

______ X agreed either way Laney was the MVP of the Libs this year. Not many would have said that to start the year. Ionescu or Howard would have been the consensus . Great season and progression in Laneys game once more shes a gem!

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last part in my five-part series on the Top 25 Draft picks in Liberty history. Here's #1 - #5.

https://netsrepublic.com/top-25-new-york-liberty-draft-picks-part-five/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/20/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixed Emotions !
As a long time New York Liberty Fan , one side of me is happy we are in
the playoffs, the other side, one and done is a horrible feeling , and I have
gone a few in my years. A 5 pick is good BUT the feeling that we could have had a 1, 2, 3 pick far outweighs the feel of having a one and done with
the Mercury.
Also the feeling that we "backed into the playoffs" is hard to shake.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/20/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. It feels like we clearly do not deserve to be in the playoffs. And it’s at the expense of a lottery pick in a draft season that I think has some strong players at or near the top.

Hopefully they make the most of the opportunity and leave it all on the court.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So did making the Playoffs (backing in ) save our
GM and Coach their Jobs for 2022 ?

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#5 pick is fine as long as one of Austin or Cunane are on the board. Congrats Libs!

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
So did making the Playoffs (backing in ) save our
GM and Coach their Jobs for 2022 ?

That's the other thing I'm afraid of.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 67 of 69

Jump to: