RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#2, #1, #1 in 3 straight years. That’s usually a formula for quick improvement. Pretty exciting.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1 draft pick for 2021. How sweet!

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
#2, #1, #1 in 3 straight years. That’s usually a formula for quick improvement. Pretty exciting.

Nice to see you back here.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Nice to see you back here.

Thank you. Appreciate it. It’s nice to be back.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YEAH! We got it! Again! We better not be in the running for it next time.

So who does everybody want? I know nothing about the college game.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope Kolb doesn’t listen to me on Collier. I’d rather she go to Dallas.

What’s Bibb going to do with all those first round draft picks? He’s got to trade them, right?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantasy vs reality conversation

In the fantasy world where Howard graduates early and Collier declares early

who do you take

Howard is considered to have bigger star potential but is a SF/PF hybrid at 6' 2", Collier is potentially a stretch center at 6' 5" with range and fills a greater need

Collier vs Howard GO

OTOH if no one declares early we are left with Davis vs Kuier vs Onyenwere GO
Davis wouldn't be a bad consolation prize

For me the easiest thing would be Collier declares (Howard stays in school) we take Collier (We have been stung on passing up a Collier before).

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/04/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles realistically needs to get rid of one of their big 3 for salary cap purposes, or completely overhaul their bench. Parker will and should retire in LA, but I could see a sign and trade situation with Nneka for the 2 & 5 picks. She grew up relatively close to Dallas, and with her Player's Association obligations I could see her being ok with getting out of the hustle and bustle of LA. Also, Dallas could afford her at max, and it would free up enough room in LA to keep all the rest of their core pieces.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/20 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Fantasy vs reality conversation

In the fantasy world where Howard graduates early and Collier declares early

who do you take

Howard is considered to have bigger star potential but is a SF/PF hybrid at 6' 2", Collier is potentially a stretch center at 6' 5" with range and fills a greater need

Collier vs Howard GO

OTOH if no one declares early we are left with Davis vs Kuier vs Onyenwere GO
Davis wouldn't be a bad consolation prize

For me the easiest thing would be Collier declares (Howard stays in school) we take Collier (We have been stung on passing up a Collier before).

I really haven’t seen enough of this particular group to make an absolute determination of who I want and why, or who the Liberty might want and why. Short of the obvious that Collier fits the Libs’ system and she fits a position of obvious need.

What I find intriguing is that there seems to be no consensus top pick right now. And even if one consensus pick emerges at guard, the Libs clearly need what Collier or Kuier can do much more so than another guard. In that scenario I wonder what they’ll do.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This works for me
version 1
Draft Collier

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Nurse/Odom
Allen/Walker/Willoughby
Ch. Collier/Stokes

better version
draft Collier
sign Ch. Parker to a max deal

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Allen/Nurse/Odom
Ch. Collier/Walker or Willoughby
Ch. Parker/Stokes

NYSports56

PostPosted: 12/04/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Id use Stokes as trade bait , not sure why she was resigned. That final play in the final regular season game against Dallas summed up her ability/court awareness & potential for me . #Puzzled

She was resigned because she's just about the only player on the team who can play defense. Her post defense last year was as good as it has ever been.

With her offense being such a weak point, you'd think Walt would want nothing to do with her with the style he preaches. But there's a reason Walt had her on the court last year, and it's probably the same reason they resigned her: somebody's got to play defense on the court.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/04/20 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
She was resigned because she's just about the only player on the team who can play defense. Her post defense last year was as good as it has ever been.

With her offense being such a weak point, you'd think Walt would want nothing to do with her with the style he preaches. But there's a reason Walt had her on the court last year, and it's probably the same reason they resigned her: somebody's got to play defense on the court.

Given that Stokes was resigned, I'd have to assume that Kolb and Hopkins agree with you. And given what the rest of the Liberty roster is likely to be for 2021, I agree with you as well. I'd hope that one way or another the Liberty can get a strong post player and Stokes can be valuable off the bench.

PostPosted: 12/05/20 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
This works for me
version 1
Draft Collier

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Nurse/Odom
Allen/Walker/Willoughby
Ch. Collier/Stokes

better version
draft Collier
sign Ch. Parker to a max deal

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Allen/Nurse/Odom
Ch. Collier/Walker or Willoughby
Ch. Parker/Stokes

More likely the second version. Even if you play small ball, you can't go with only two post players. If an injury occurs, who would be your backup center -- Bec Allen? 3 true post players is the minimum, and likely 4 makes more sense. It's not unusual for teams to have two injured post players at the same time. Or maybe one injured post combined with foul trouble for another puts you in a tight spot.

It's easy to assume Durr will reclaim her starting spot because she was such a high draft pick. However, she basically hasn't played for a season and a half and Jones had arguably the better rookie year. Jazmine is certainly the better defender. Then you have Johannes who might be the second best offensive player on the team after Sabrina. Having all three of them on the roster is kind of a waste. The Liberty have to talk to one of these teams that is facing a cap crunch and in need of cheap players. Their coach probably doesn't want a bench full of rookies. 4th-year players may seem the most desirable, but so many have been bumped up to vet minimum that they're not dirt cheap anymore. Plus, they become free agents at the end of the year and become your new re-signing problem. The sweet spot for cheap labor would be 2nd and 3rd-year players, and we've got plenty of those. Yes, I'm spinning this as positively as possible. Wink

PostPosted: 12/05/20 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
More likely the second version. Even if you play small ball, you can't go with only two post players. If an injury occurs, who would be your backup center -- Bec Allen? 3 true post players is the minimum, and likely 4 makes more sense. It's not unusual for teams to have two injured post players at the same time. Or maybe one injured post combined with foul trouble for another puts you in a tight spot.

I completely agree. In case of injury, illness, foul trouble, expulsion, whatever, four post players makes sense on a 12-player roster. Having just two is out of the question.

There's also this. Suppose Walt Hopkins was absolutely committed to only one post player on the floor at any time. (Which I'd view as a mistake.) Suppose the Liberty therefore went with only two post players on the roster. So we'd have TEN players competing for 160 minutes at the other four positions. Why would any team need that? Imagine Sabrina Ionescu averaging 30 minutes per game. That would mean nine players competing for only 130 minutes of court time. A few of them might as well play poker or whatever while the games are on.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay we got #1!
I hope Collier declares, she seems like a perfect fit.

I hope we go for some free agents, as Kolb previously alluded to being aggressive in FA this offseason.

I would love to try for Nneka and Laney. Both are good defenders, and very capable scorers. Nneka is exactly the type of high character person the team covets, as well.

Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Laney/Nurse
Nneka/Allen/Walker
Collier/Stokes

Unfortunately that means cutting our recent #10, 13 and 15 picks. I love them all, but this aggressive offseason puts us in position to compete now. And we still have plenty of youth.
Can we afford this roster? Not sure but if not, keep Willoughby or Odom instead of resigning Bec.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/06/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to think there is going to be a major move or two by Kolb, whether via free agency, trade, or both. Given how this past season went, the 2021 Liberty roster surely won't be 11 of our previous players plus our #1 draft pick. Seems highly likely that one or two important veterans will be coming, that Zahui B. will be gone, and the same for some of last season's rookies.

Of course the pandemic and its impact on the Olympics will be crucial, especially for a team like New York which has so many international players. I am personally hoping, among other things, for a season in Brooklyn with Sabrina Ionescu staying healthy and Marine Johannes on the court a lot.

Even better, I'm hoping for a season in Brooklyn where fans can be there along with the players!!!

PostPosted: 12/06/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These vaccines had better be effective or else it might be 2022 before the Liberty play in front of fans in Brooklyn

PostPosted: 12/06/20 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
These vaccines had better be effective or else it might be 2022 before the Liberty play in front of fans in Brooklyn

That's why I used the word "hoping" twice.

But the issue isn't just whether the vaccines are effective. It's also whether people actually GET their vaccination shots. And continue to wear masks and practice social distancing until it's very clear that the virus has been very dramatically diminished. Count me as skeptical but nevertheless "hoping."

PostPosted: 12/06/20 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a great hope to have Bob! I wish for the same, in the safest ways possible.

And agree re Sabrina and MJ! Would be a flashy and fun combo to watch on offense Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 01/01/21 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chesterfield’s Megan Walker has WNBA, international playing career
http://m.richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/dec/31/chesterfields-megan-walker-has-wnba-international-/

Quote:
Following her rookie season with the WNBA New York Liberty, the former Monacan High School and University of Connecticut standout is suiting up for the Sopron Basket of Hungary’s A League.

At last look, the sculpted 6-foot-1, 170-pound forward has propelled Sopron to a 10-0 record while averaging 16 points and six rebounds per contest.

Quote:
Walker is trying to make up for lost time following a challenging rookie season with the Liberty.

First, she missed the entire preseason training camp and first two regular season games due to a positive COVID-19 test. Fortunately, she had no symptoms. But she also struggled with a sore hip.

Quote:
In addition to her base salary in Hungary, Walker is given a two-bedroom apartment with no roommate “and the use of a car to get around,” she said.

“The team looks out for you and the city (of Sopron) is nice,” she said.

Her teammates include Gabby Williams, a WNBA player with the Chicago Sky. She enjoys the Greek salads in the Hungarian city and finds most of what she needs at ALDI, the same grocery chain that’s in the states.

“People eat healthier over there,” she said of Sopron, a city of about 62,000 people on the Austrian border.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/01/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her Hoop Stats got a mention in that article. Clearly it's the salary section. Smile

The reporter talks about the "itsy-bitsy salaries" in the WNBA. I wonder what he gets paid by the Richmond Free Press. Razz

PostPosted: 01/01/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The valuable thread recently posted by Richyyy (thank you again!!!) indicates that the Liberty now have until Jan. 14th to core Amanda Zahui B. Like Richyyy, I'm guessing that this is NOT going to happen. For me, the re-signing of Kiah Stokes strongly suggests that Zahui B. is gone. I don't see Kolb and Hopkins going again with both of them. One way or another, I expect some significant veteran to replace Zahui B. and a post player to be New York's first pick in the draft.

PostPosted: 01/01/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Daily News piece on Layshia Clarendon and her sports activism:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-layshia-clarendon-liberty-wnba-athlete-activism-20210101-yz7nodigozapnozxsxq5uteppe-story.html

Got this from WBB Daily. Thank you for posting it.

PostPosted: 01/01/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
The valuable thread recently posted by Richyyy (thank you again!!!) indicates that the Liberty now have until Jan. 14th to core Amanda Zahui B. Like Richyyy, I'm guessing that this is NOT going to happen. For me, the re-signing of Kiah Stokes strongly suggests that Zahui B. is gone. I don't see Kolb and Hopkins going again with both of them. One way or another, I expect some significant veteran to replace Zahui B. and a post player to be New York's first pick in the draft.

I'm not sure why, but I have a weird feeling the Neka will end up in New York!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/07/21 4:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've just discovered this a week late. For anyone else who didn't already know:

https://empiresportsmedia.com/liberty/new-york-liberty-g-layshia-clarendon-and-wife-jessica-welcome-first-child/

Congratulations to Layshia and Jessica!!! And now we have one more New York Liberty fan. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 6 of 69

Jump to: