Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/27/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
Hello, Renee Montgomery, I need you to be reading this and acting on this please and thank you.

Liberty get first dibs, right? I can see them dumping Stokes like they did Clarendon (admittedly it might not be that simple so as to stay under the cap) & snapping Cox right up.

I fail to see what anybody sees in Cox. She's pretty much bottom of any bench.

..and Richyyy talks about the Liberty salary cap here. https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week6-indiana-fever-nneka

Last edited by myrtle on 06/27/21 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/27/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy dropped a lottery pick this quickly. Didn't even try to trade her for a loaf of bread. Indy management is making Wade look like a genius!šŸ˜œ

PostPosted: 06/27/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Indy dropped a lottery pick this quickly. Didn't even try to trade her for a loaf of bread. Indy management is making Wade look like a genius!šŸ˜œ

Maybe they did try. I doubt there's much market for her.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings digging her grave even deeper now.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/27/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I fail to see what anybody sees in Cox. She's pretty much bottom of any bench.

..and Richyyy talks about the Liberty salary cap here. https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week6-indiana-fever-nneka

Technically, the Liberty could at least make room to sign Cox once she clears, even if it's basically impossible to create enough room to claim her. But even then, by my maths they'd have to cut two of their non-guaranteed players to sign Cox, and then go with 11. So it seems decidedly unlikely.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The timing seems interesting. Indiana gonna pick someone up or is Catch drinking the "special" tea again?

{edit: pick someone UP, because my phone's autocorrect doesn't believe in grammar}

Last edited by Queenie on 06/27/21 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milks26

PostPosted: 06/27/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
to me she has always seemed very fragile. Perhaps they've decided she won't ever be healthy enough for long enough to be useful.

Agreed. But, honestly I would've found a to dump/eat a protected contract before I gave up on a 2020 draft pick already or even better fire Stanley.

I wonder if they shopped her around? She might come up for air somewhere else

Last edited by Milks26 on 06/27/21 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/27/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings dumping an asset that she chose as a lottery talent instead of firing Stanley leads me to believe that Stanley isnā€™t going anywhere anytime soon. Because you would have given your new coach the ability to see if Cox could fit in with them.

Catchings (and Stanley) is going to drag this team to relocation or folding.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/27/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
The timing seems interesting. Indiana gonna pick someone to or is Catch drinking the "special" tea again?

The timing mostly comes down to the contract guarantee date at midseason (which is this Wednesday). We might see another cut or two by the end of tomorrow (have to waive players by the end of the 28th to give them time to clear by the 30th).

PostPosted: 06/27/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Richyy or anyone when is the trade deadline this yr?

PostPosted: 06/27/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Literally just went and checked myself, August 21, 8:00 pm EST.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok thank u. It will be interesting to see what moves if any are made

PostPosted: 06/27/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why fire Stanley? She was specifically hired to oversee the tanking process. She's doing a great job of that judging by their record since she took over. Unfortunately, that tanking doesn't seem to be paying any dividends.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/21 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
to me she has always seemed very fragile. Perhaps they've decided she won't ever be healthy enough for long enough to be useful.

Agreed. But, honestly I would've found a to dump/eat a protected contract before I gave up on a 2020 draft pick already or even better fire Stanley.

I couldnā€™t really understand what you were saying, but your boy Bibb has done both. In 2017, he drafted Evelyn Akhator at #3 and gave up on her after one year. Cut, no trade. This year he cut a protected contract in Ndour, and then she took a Fall.

In 2015, he drafted Zahui #2, and he gave up on her after one year, but he got Libertyā€™s first round pick for (Zahui + the Dallas 2nd round pick).
As it turned out, Zahui + Lindsay Allen for Kaela Davis.

In 2017, Chicago drafted Coates #2. She was out her whole first year, and lasted a year before being traded in 2019 preseason for MINā€™s third round pick in 2020, which turned out to be Japreece Dean.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's very difficult to write about Lauren Cox because she's "out of shape." The difference between her now and when she was an elite prospect is obvious, but it's not something that can be written about in women's sports.

So all a writer can do is use a little code and refer to her "not fitting in" and "going in a different direction."

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's very difficult to write about Lauren Cox because she's "out of shape." The difference between her now and when she was an elite prospect is obvious, but it's not something that can be written about in women's sports.

So all a writer can do is use a little code and refer to her "not fitting in" and "going in a different direction."

Is this your new drum to beat?

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/28/21 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
https://twitter.com/tristanrtucker/status/1409210405424091140?s=21

Quote:
BREAKING PER RELEASE: The Indiana Fever have waived forward Lauren Cox. Cox was the teamā€™s third overall pick in last yearā€™s draft. @Winsidr

Wow šŸ‘€

What the actual fuck??

Catchings poor catchings Crying or Very sad

You and I should have made a friendly bet back when we debated drafting Satou vs Cox at #2 and I was saying I didn't see what was so special about Cox and I didn't see her having an extended career in the league šŸ™ˆ

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/28/21 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Is this your new drum to beat?

Maybe but I don't think so. It really reflects back to the thread about how the league is covered ...

But if you like the rhythm, I can keep pounding those sticks.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yahoo Sports
Quote:
This is a head-scratcher from the Fever. It seems irresponsibly early to give up on such a high draft pick, not in spite of her issues, but because of them.ā€¦ Cox isn't why the Fever are failing so completely at winning basketball games, so it's not clear what cutting her will do.

CBS Sports
Quote:
Just from a pure talent standpoint, they aren't in a position to be giving up on lottery picks this early. The fact that Cox has had horrible luck and hasn't even played a full season's worth of games yet only makes the move more confusingā€¦. Since their streak of 12 straight playoff appearances ended in 2017, the Fever have had five top-10 picks, including four lottery selections. None of those players has made an All-Star team.

Indy Star
Quote:
Releasing a high draft pick like Cox so early in her career is another sign that Indiana's (1-15) rebuild is spinning in circles. Just a year ago, Cox was selected to be the franchise's foundation for the future.

The Next
Quote:
There seemed to be a major disconnect between Cox and the coaching staff on the status of the second-year centerā€™s health throughout the 2021 season. A source familiar with the situation told The Next that Cox is fully healthy and has been for some time. Cox confirmed this in a prior media availability as well.ā€¦ When Cox was asked if she had spoken with the coaching staff regarding her lack of playing time, she hesitated before admitting that she had indeed been in communication with them.

Her or her agent complaining about playing time perhaps? šŸ¤”

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/28/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Maybe they did try. I doubt there's much market for her.

Kroger and Giant Eagle offered a full loaf but Tiera ate it. Maybe heading to Louisiana?

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

June 28, 2021
Indiana Fever: Chelsey Perry ā€“ Sign ROS Contract

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
June 28, 2021

So Perry is better than Cox.šŸ¤”

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Shades wrote:
June 28, 2021

So Perry is better than Cox.šŸ¤”

I wouldn't be surprised.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today feels the same as the day after the end of the NFL season. The day when head coaches crap in their pants because they know they are about to get fired.
I don't recall this many players across the league getting waived on the same day. But I know that a huge number of players are always cut before opening day but never this number of players cut mid-season.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 06/28/21 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Today feels the same as the day after the end of the NFL season. The day when head coaches crap in their pants because they know they are about to get fired.
I don't recall this many players across the league getting waived on the same day.

No one wants their contracts guaranteed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: