RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

MVP
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should win MVP?
Napheesa Collier
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Crystal Dangerfield
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Skylar Diggins
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Betnijah Laney
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kelsey Mitchell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Candace Parker
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
Allie Quigley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Breanna Stewart
37%
 37%  [ 29 ]
Diana Taurasi
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
A'ja Wilson
27%
 27%  [ 21 ]
someone else
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 77

Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61459
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/07/20 8:10 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55019



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/07/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Da List



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 6098



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/07/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight, the stew is on the table.



_________________
DEFUND

Debbie Antonelli
LaChina Robinson
Carolyn Peck
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5764
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/20 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing all 4 of the "someone else" votes are for Slooty.

Also, I know people love to hate Candace Parker - but have you even looked at the season she's having? Again, assists are underrated. She's leading the entire league in rebounding and most games has at least 5 assists. She's having her best season in a decade.

I have them:
Candace
Aja
Breanna
Slooty

I'd have Slooty higher if her team were winning more - which would be happening with Stephens and DDS.

I am not the biggest CP3 fan around, so this isn't homer rooting. I am from L.A. so I am a Sparks fan. But this is simply what I've seen on the floor. Candace impacts EVERYTHING the Sparks do this season.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5621
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/08/20 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s funny, because by some of the advance metrics, this season is one of Parker’s worst. Which in turn, demonstrates how good of a career Parker has had because 15, 10, & 5 is very solid.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55019



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/09/20 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote




_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55019



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote



Check out Diggins skyrocketing up the points chart. In my opinion, she is the only guard with a legitimate shot at MVP, but she’s never in the conversation.

Her FG% is higher than the post players at the top of the chart.

Not a fan of Diggins but I have to give credit to her play this season.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChasingRatDogmaSalade



Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 327
Location: Las Vegas, NV


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
It’s funny, because by some of the advance metrics, this season is one of Parker’s worst. Which in turn, demonstrates how good of a career Parker has had because 15, 10, & 5 is very solid.


Curious as to which stats show this, because what I see shows that she is having a typically great CP season—108 OER, 95 DER which are in line with her career marks of 109 and 93.

It isn't previous MVP-level CP, but it is still All-Star caliber CP.

Thanks.

~ Giggy


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1002



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep 15,10 and 5 is very impressive. Unfortunately, Candace doesn't average any of those. NEXT


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61459
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Yep 15,10 and 5 is very impressive. Unfortunately, Candace doesn't average any of those. NEXT



Nobody in the league is averaging 15, 10, and 5. Nobody in the league is averaging more than one of those three marks. In the whole history of the league only one player has ever averaged all three in a season (she was 5th in MVP voting that year).



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9912
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Yep 15,10 and 5 is very impressive. Unfortunately, Candace doesn't average any of those. NEXT



14.8 PPG
9.4 RPG
4.5 APG
1.2 BPG
1.2 SPG
She's good enough ....



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5621
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
It’s funny, because by some of the advance metrics, this season is one of Parker’s worst. Which in turn, demonstrates how good of a career Parker has had because 15, 10, & 5 is very solid.


Curious as to which stats show this, because what I see shows that she is having a typically great CP season—108 OER, 95 DER which are in line with her career marks of 109 and 93.

It isn't previous MVP-level CP, but it is still All-Star caliber CP.

Thanks.

~ Giggy


PER - 22.8 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons
Win Shares - 3.0 - ranks 11th out of 13 seasons
Defensive Win Shares - 1.6 - ranks 9th out of 13 seasons
Offensive Win Shares - 1.4 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons

It’s some others but I’m lazy. Laughing



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1002



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Candace supporters and pilight can put some respect on Sloot's numbers then maybe I'll put some respect on for Ace. Candace is only averaging one more point than Sloot, but Sloot isn't an MVP candidate? lol come on...


ChasingRatDogmaSalade



Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 327
Location: Las Vegas, NV


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
It’s funny, because by some of the advance metrics, this season is one of Parker’s worst. Which in turn, demonstrates how good of a career Parker has had because 15, 10, & 5 is very solid.


Curious as to which stats show this, because what I see shows that she is having a typically great CP season—108 OER, 95 DER which are in line with her career marks of 109 and 93.

It isn't previous MVP-level CP, but it is still All-Star caliber CP.

Thanks.

~ Giggy


PER - 22.8 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons
Win Shares - 3.0 - ranks 11th out of 13 seasons
Defensive Win Shares - 1.6 - ranks 9th out of 13 seasons
Offensive Win Shares - 1.4 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons

It’s some others but I’m lazy. Laughing


The Win Shares for everybody is going to be low because they are only playing 22 games this year, so that's a bit apples to aardvarks for three of those stats.

Very Happy


mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5621
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
It’s funny, because by some of the advance metrics, this season is one of Parker’s worst. Which in turn, demonstrates how good of a career Parker has had because 15, 10, & 5 is very solid.


Curious as to which stats show this, because what I see shows that she is having a typically great CP season—108 OER, 95 DER which are in line with her career marks of 109 and 93.

It isn't previous MVP-level CP, but it is still All-Star caliber CP.

Thanks.

~ Giggy


PER - 22.8 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons
Win Shares - 3.0 - ranks 11th out of 13 seasons
Defensive Win Shares - 1.6 - ranks 9th out of 13 seasons
Offensive Win Shares - 1.4 - ranks 10th out of 13 seasons

It’s some others but I’m lazy. Laughing


The Win Shares for everybody is going to be low because they are only playing 22 games this year, so that's a bit apples to aardvarks for three of those stats.

Very Happy


No debate from me, don’t even have a horse in this race. Just saying as good as Parker’s been, 2020 doesn’t even rank as really her “best”. Dasit. Very Happy



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22484
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's only her 8th-best season in Win Shares per 40 minutes, if you prefer Wink.

It's been a really good offensive season for Candace. She's obviously a huge piece for LA. But her rebounding is up largely because LA are leaving her to get the easy ones on her own and Nneka's rebounding has been garbage (by her usual standards). Hence LA being one of the worst rebounding teams in the league, despite Parker's individual numbers. Her field goal percentage is up mostly because she's only shooting threes when she's wide open.

I think a large part of the reason people seem so impressed by her this year is that last year, by her standards, she was bad. It looked like the downslope was kicking in. And then this year she's bounced back to usual levels. For me, she's on the very good, All-WNBA list, rather than the main MVP conversation.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15893
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
When Candace supporters and pilight can put some respect on Sloot's numbers then maybe I'll put some respect on for Ace. Candace is only averaging one more point than Sloot, but Sloot isn't an MVP candidate? lol come on...


I agree, she is certainly not above Sloot in the MVP race. It might all come down to the matchup between Stewie and Wilson in their last game. But then maybe the Storm have locked up the first place and will rest a couple of players.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 675



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
When Candace supporters and pilight can put some respect on Sloot's numbers then maybe I'll put some respect on for Ace. Candace is only averaging one more point than Sloot, but Sloot isn't an MVP candidate? lol come on...


I agree, she is certainly not above Sloot in the MVP race. It might all come down to the matchup between Stewie and Wilson in their last game. But then maybe the Storm have locked up the first place and will rest a couple of players.


Do you still have Magbegor over Sabally for being on the all Rookie team?

Sloot is moving into the category for me to be a WNBA version of James Harden and Russell Westbrook.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22484
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Sloot is moving into the category for me to be a WNBA version of James Harden and Russell Westbrook.

Those guys have always been elite scorers first, who've then gotten assists through moving the ball when they draw so much attention that other people are wide open. Sloot's much more like someone like John Stockton, who was always looking to set other people up first but could knock down shots and punish you if you didn't pay him enough attention as a scorer.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
bcdawg04



Joined: 12 Apr 2016
Posts: 399
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
When Candace supporters and pilight can put some respect on Sloot's numbers then maybe I'll put some respect on for Ace. Candace is only averaging one more point than Sloot, but Sloot isn't an MVP candidate? lol come on...


I agree, she is certainly not above Sloot in the MVP race. It might all come down to the matchup between Stewie and Wilson in their last game. But then maybe the Storm have locked up the first place and will rest a couple of players.


We'll see if we get that Stewie and Wilson matchup on Sunday. Stewart (foot) and Bird (knee) each had an MRI yesterday. Though there is no indication of a significant injury, both are questionable for tonight.


Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 675



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Sloot is moving into the category for me to be a WNBA version of James Harden and Russell Westbrook.

Those guys have always been elite scorers first, who've then gotten assists through moving the ball when they draw so much attention that other people are wide open. Sloot's much more like someone like John Stockton, who was always looking to set other people up first but could knock down shots and punish you if you didn't pay him enough attention as a scorer.


I'm not talking about the way they play but the hype of their stat lines regardless of how their team is performing.


mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5621
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Sloot is moving into the category for me to be a WNBA version of James Harden and Russell Westbrook.


I'm not talking about the way they play but the hype of their stat lines regardless of how their team is performing.





_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 3860
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield won’t be close but I shudder to think how many losses the Lynx would have without her play at pg.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55019



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My final list.


Between Stewart & Wilson, defensive stats are comparable.
Stewart has more assists but also has more turnovers.
Wilson has higher PPG & FG%.
Wilson played in all the games.
LVA wins the season series with SEA 2-0.
LVA earns the #1 seed.
Wilson is the MVP.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW



Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 58



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aja sealed it for me today.

I know she sat for an injury but honestly, playing today could've won Stewie the MVP if she showed out.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin