RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jacob Blake / Postponed Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/20 3:59 pm    ::: Jacob Blake / Postponed Games Reply Reply with quote

NBA teams are forfeiting playoff games, in protest of his shooting. Does anyone think that the WNBA might follow suit?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how they can't at this point. The key difference being regular season games that essentially could be made up or unnecessary, and playoff games. I guess the bigger question for the NBA and the W is how long do you choose to boycott games.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they should. Solidarity.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be great if the WNBA did this.

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:23 pm    ::: Re: Jacob Blake Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
NBA teams are forfeiting playoff games, in protest of his shooting. Does anyone think that the WNBA might follow suit?

I would support them doing it, but I can't see the W being influential like that where the players sitting out demanding justice would actually mean something. It would be good for a headline, but now that the NBA has done it, it'll only mean more if we saw all the major sports leagues boycott their games. Though maybe I'm being too cynical. Jmo.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
It would be great if the WNBA did this.

I totally agree

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Correction: the NBA has officially ruled the games to be "postponed." So no forfeits, as of yet.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/20 4:45 pm    ::: Re: Jacob Blake Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I would support them doing it, but I can't see the W being influential like that where the players sitting out demanding justice would actually mean something. It would be good for a headline, but now that the NBA has done it, it'll only mean more if we saw all the major sports leagues boycott their games. Though maybe I'm being too cynical. Jmo.

Once you start thinking about what might "mean more" it leads into a trap. Suppose the Milwaukee Bucks' players had said: hey, it'll "mean more" if an NFL team does this, so why should we? Every activist stand encourages more activism. Every choice for silence and passivity encourages more silence and passivity.

The decision by these NBA players certainly may have been affected not only by this latest police horror but also by the strong stand taken by WNBA players and the league in an unprecedented "Say Her Name" season.

PostPosted: 08/26/20 5:18 pm    ::: Re: Jacob Blake Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Once you start thinking about what might "mean more" it leads into a trap. Suppose the Milwaukee Bucks' players had said: hey, it'll "mean more" if an NFL team does this, so why should we? Every activist stand encourages more activism. Every choice for silence and passivity encourages more silence and passivity.

Good points. Whatever course of action the players take that they think will be the most effective, I'll support. They've been leading the charge for years now, after all, so I trust they'll rise to the occasion here (if not, 'above', so to speak) and do what they feel needs to be done.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/26/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some updates: MLB's Brewers and Reds aren't playing their scheduled game today. Other MLB teams may follow suit. As for the WNBA, Holly Rowe says they are talking about it in real time.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/20 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Some updates: MLB's Brewers and Reds aren't playing their scheduled game today. Other MLB teams may follow suit. As for the WNBA, Holly Rowe says they are talking about it in real time.

I'm a Mets' fan. They're playing right now. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: 08/26/20 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As mentioned in other threads, tonight's W games have all been dubbed by the League as "postponed". *cough cough* "boycotted"
Remains to be seen what happens after today, generally speaking.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/26/20 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, Jacob Blake is another False flag/staged event to promote even more anarcho-communist terrorism until proven overwise. It's too convenient that the only people whose lives matter are career criminals who aren't obeying the police, and tons of mostly white people are allowed to arrive into the city to burn it down immediately aftewards.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/20 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
To me, Jacob Blake is another False flag/staged event to promote even more anarcho-communist terrorism until proven overwise.

Yo, do you ever turn it off, or are you this batshit fucking crazy in real life, too?

Quote:
It's too convenient that the only people whose lives matter are career criminals who aren't obeying the police, and tons of mostly white people are allowed to arrive into the city to burn it down immediately aftewards.

Rolling Eyes

Counterpoint: Cops aren't supposed to kill guilty people, either.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/26/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
To me, Jacob Blake is another False flag/staged event to promote even more anarcho-communist terrorism until proven overwise.

Yo, do you ever turn it off, or are you this batshit fucking crazy in real life, too?

Quote:
It's too convenient that the only people whose lives matter are career criminals who aren't obeying the police, and tons of mostly white people are allowed to arrive into the city to burn it down immediately aftewards.

Rolling Eyes

Counterpoint: Cops aren't supposed to kill guilty people, either.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Thank you!!!

Just wow!

Richard 77

PostPosted: 08/26/20 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been watching this story for a couple of days now and I hope this country will find its civility and figure out a way to end these tragic events. I also hope we will be careful and cautious and beware. I just have a gut feeling that something even more disturbing could take place in the next few years if we don't straighten our society.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the ugliness expressed by one person earlier tonight, I want to say that I am a WNBA fan who has great respect for these players not only for their very impressive basketball skills but for their outspoken, committed political activism. We know there are fans of these players who want them to "shut up and dribble." How pathetic.

Black Lives Matter, including the life of Jacob Blake. As the WNBA players have urged all of us... Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor. In solidarity with the WNBA, NBA, and MLB players who have taken a stand today. And in solidarity with every fan here and everywhere who supports these players.

PostPosted: 08/26/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Given the ugliness expressed by one person earlier tonight, I want to say that I am a WNBA fan who has great respect for these players not only for their very impressive basketball skills but for their outspoken, committed political activism. We know there are fans of these players who want them to "shut up and dribble." How pathetic.

I would suggest that those people aren't fans, so much as consumers. And, the thing about consumers is, they don't see players as people, so much as they do product.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 08/26/20 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
To me, Jacob Blake is another False flag/staged event to promote even more anarcho-communist terrorism until proven overwise. It's too convenient that the only people whose lives matter are career criminals who aren't obeying the police, and tons of mostly white people are allowed to arrive into the city to burn it down immediately aftewards.

You know, I've read your garbage about Reeve, and I've always chosen to ignore your inane comments. But THIS? THIS IS ENOUGH. ENOUGH!

Shut the fuck up, for god's sake. You are a disgrace to humanity.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/26/20 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
As mentioned in other threads, tonight's W games have all been dubbed by the League as "postponed". *cough cough* "boycotted"
Remains to be seen what happens after today, generally speaking.

I think the reason they've been 'postponed' is because CBAs, including the WNBA's, tend to have No Strike/No Lockout clauses. So if they called it what it actually was, we could get into some fairly significant breaking of the main contracts the leagues are built on. Saying the games have been 'postponed' helps navigate around that, given that the NBA/WNBA themselves are trying to be supportive in all this, rather than antagonistic.

At least for the time being, anyway. If the NBA players actually decided to end the season right now, thereby costing the owners vast sums of money, this might all get less friendly and one-for-all.

PostPosted: 08/27/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=29752975&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/27/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 08/27/20 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/27/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
I spent the 12 days RebKells was down educating myself and I was a bit wrong. The only people I know now worth voting for are Trump and probably Loeffler (though she isn't in my state) since she was against the WNBA supporting the BLM Terrorist Orginzation from the beginning (I was wrong that any Democrats or progressive are worth voting for) as the WNBA has to be ran or corrupted by evil forces as why else would they celebrate and tolerate terrorism and celebrate rapists, dangerous criminals and attacking law enforcement—proving they are or supportive of anti-American Communists. The most racist, hate-filled, bigoted people I have ever come across (based on what they do, how they talk, etc) are WNBA fans, WNBA coaches, and WNBA players, so I don't know if that's because they are all subverted, or evil?

Definitely seems like you should get as far away as possible from subverted, evil people like myself and so many others here. Of course we will be very sad without you, but somehow we'll survive. Black Lives Matter. Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor.

PostPosted: 08/27/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
I spent the 12 days RebKells was down educating myself and I was a bit wrong. The only people I know now worth voting for are Trump and probably Loeffler (though she isn't in my state) since she was against the WNBA supporting the BLM Terrorist Orginzation from the beginning (I was wrong that any Democrats or progressive are worth voting for) as the WNBA has to be ran or corrupted by evil forces as why else would they celebrate and tolerate terrorism and celebrate rapists, dangerous criminals and attacking law enforcement—proving they are or supportive of anti-American Communists. The most racist, hate-filled, bigoted people I have ever come across (based on what they do, how they talk, etc) are WNBA fans, WNBA coaches, and WNBA players, so I don't know if that's because they are all subverted, or evil?

Definitely seems like you should get as far away as possible from subverted, evil people like myself and so many others here. Of course we will be very sad without you, but somehow we'll survive. Black Lives Matter. Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor.

Ditto! We are not the crowd for you. And your comment certainly seems contradictory, if you think 45 is worth supporting but you OPPOSE "rapists, dangerous criminals and attacking law enforcement" (ever heard of the FBI??).
Black Lives Matter! Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor.

Pass it on!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/27/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder where the line is between making a powerful point and damaging the platform that provides the ability to make the point.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: