RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fans at games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/05/20 8:47 pm    ::: Fans at games Reply Reply with quote

Has any school announced that they're going to allow fans at Women's Basketball games to start the season? Just curious - most of what I'm hearing is no fans through the end of the 2020 calendar year for sure and then schools will evaluate the situation after that. This is what Marquette announced today.

I expected this announcement but am still a tad bummed - I really will miss attending the games. Now if only I could find out about the schedule - all I know so far is 4 Big East games in December for Marquette - they haven't announced any non-conference games and I'm not sure when the rest of the Big East schedule will be announced.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/05/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We get fans at USD. Approximately 2500 will be allowed. South Carolina also announced that they will have fans.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/05/20 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
We get fans at USD. Approximately 2500 will be allowed. South Carolina also announced that they will have fans.

Good to know.

Truthfully Marquette has such poor Women's Basketball attendance they probalby could have had fans there relatively safely. But I also think they probably wanted to do the same thing for the men's and women's programs. And the Covid numbers are so bad in Wisconsin it probably wouldn't have been a good idea for me to go to games anyway.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/06/20 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn is selling season tickets and will reportedly be at ~15% capacity. They haven't announced their OOC schedule yet, so I'm not sure when their first home game with fans will happen.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/06/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In NY, I bet there won't be fans at games until 2022-2023.

This is bad for Syracuse, where I live and am a season ticket holder. The Dome holds 34,000+ for basketball. People are so desperate for live sports around here, that they'd EASILY be able to get 5,000 people in there and socially distance every single one of them. During these times, with the roster that Hillsman has, it'd do wonders for the program.

Unfortunately, Emperor Cuomo won't allow it.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the latest uptick in Covid cases, there are several states that have been talking about increasing the restrictions again. If that happens, I would assume it would impact possible attendance at games. This is definitely a moving target and most likely will be for quite some time. I would also anticipate changes made during the season as well.

*Edit - One such state is Connecticut. I'm not sure what their situation is right now but that will definitely impact quite a few schools. Now, I know that the Mohegan Sun is hosting several MTE's, both men and women. I assume their hotel and facilities are on a reservation so they may not be subject to restrictions. Does anyone know? In addition, how would that work for schools that may be playing there that may be coming from another state? Will they be able to fly into Hartford and go there for games still? I have so many questions about this scenario.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/06/20 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU has canceled season tickets and offered refunds or the opportunity of donating to Duke Club scholarships, which I think I will do, since it ups my chances of getting good seats next year. They will allow a limited number of fans in to games at the new Atlantic Union Bank Center.

PostPosted: 11/06/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that there will be only player/staff families allowed at Big Ten events.

Louisville will be at 15%, or approximately 3,000: https://gocards.com/news/2020/10/28/mens-basketball-basketball-seating-plan-for-fans-will-allow-reduced-capacity-in-kfc-yum-center.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
With the latest uptick in Covid cases, there are several states that have been talking about increasing the restrictions again. If that happens, I would assume it would impact possible attendance at games. This is definitely a moving target and most likely will be for quite some time. I would also anticipate changes made during the season as well.

*Edit - One such state is Connecticut. I'm not sure what their situation is right now but that will definitely impact quite a few schools. Now, I know that the Mohegan Sun is hosting several MTE's, both men and women. I assume their hotel and facilities are on a reservation so they may not be subject to restrictions. Does anyone know? In addition, how would that work for schools that may be playing there that may be coming from another state? Will they be able to fly into Hartford and go there for games still? I have so many questions about this scenario.

Interesting because I saw a headline about the Mohegan Sun being a possible location for a Big East bubble. But maybe what you say about them not being subject to restrictions may be the case.

Wisconsin is super high in cases but there won't be more restrictions due to political factors Sad.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/07/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cases are increasingly dramatically through most of New England and restrictions are being reimposed as well. Many of the hotspots are related to college campuses. I'll still be surprised if we see a WCBB this year.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/07/20 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder if Marquette will be able to host any games. With how bad cases are in Wisconsin I wonder how many states are going to be requiring a quarantine of 14 days upon a return from Wisconsin.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/08/20 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With a Covid positivity rate of less than 1% among it students, UConn is sending students home and shutting down its entire campus until the spring semester. This can't be salubrious for the basketball season.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/coronavirus/uconn-closing-storrs-campus-after-thanksgiving-break-says-students-cant-return-until-spring-semester/

Has anyone heard of a definitive and unretracted report of any college basketball player or coach dying of Covid? Any college athlete at all?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/09/20 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

I don't know about the reservation associated with the Sun, but I recently read an article about the rapid increases in cases in Montana and the frustrations experienced on reservations there because they weren't covered by local restrictions, and federal regulations are apparently not enforceable from a practical and logistical standpoint, so they couldn't protect themselves. The COVID case and hospitalization rates for Native Americans are higher than whites, blacks, Hispanics, or Asians, and their risk of dying is second only to blacks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-race-ethnicity.html

GlennMacGrady wrote:
With a Covid positivity rate of less than 1% among it students, UConn is sending students home and shutting down its entire campus until the spring semester. This can't be salubrious for the basketball season.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/coronavirus/uconn-closing-storrs-campus-after-thanksgiving-break-says-students-cant-return-until-spring-semester/

Has anyone heard of a definitive and unretracted report of any college basketball player or coach dying of Covid? Any college athlete at all?

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/2020/09/family-reveals-jamain-stephens-jrs-cause-of-death-report/

https://people.com/human-interest/21-year-old-college-baseball-player-dies-coronavirus/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/15-college-athletes-showed-signs-heart-damage-covid/story?id=72931050

linkster

PostPosted: 11/09/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Your first 2 sentences make it sound like UConn has suddenly changed it's position. This isn't something CT decided yesterday. I think that was the plan back in August and applies to colleges all over the country. The semester is over and second semester doesn't start until January. It's actually a very positive move and will greatly lessen the risk on campuses. My guess is that the Thanksgiving to New Years period will result in a surge of cases nationwide.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/09/20 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Your first 2 sentences make it sound like UConn has suddenly changed it's position. This isn't something CT decided yesterday. I think that was the plan back in August and applies to colleges all over the country. The semester is over and second semester doesn't start until January. It's actually a very positive move and will greatly lessen the risk on campuses. My guess is that the Thanksgiving to New Years period will result in a surge of cases nationwide.

The main idea is that it keeps students from going back and forth from home twice, cutting on the chance of spreading the virus around (either taking it home or bringing it back to campus).

It has been planned at colleges all over campus for months. For example, at Northwestern, where I teach, we started the quarter early so it could be completed early.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/09/20 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

The main idea is that it keeps students from going back and forth from home twice, cutting on the chance of spreading the virus around (either taking it home or bringing it back to campus).

It has been planned at colleges all over campus for months. For example, at Northwestern, where I teach, we started the quarter early so it could be completed early.

I think it's a wash. Students are going to take the virus home with them, potentially exposing more elderly or high-risk people than they would have contacted at school. OTOH, there are a lot of smaller towns with outbreaks centered at a college, who may have a big drop in cases for a few months. And then in January, it starts all over again.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/09/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/2020/09/family-reveals-jamain-stephens-jrs-cause-of-death-report/

https://people.com/human-interest/21-year-old-college-baseball-player-dies-coronavirus/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/15-college-athletes-showed-signs-heart-damage-covid/story?id=72931050

People can differ on interpreting these reports, but I don't consider any of them, which I saw before I posted, definitive and unretracted reports of a basketball player or coach (or any athlete) dying "of" Covid. Dying of something, such as blood clots, pneumonia or an extremely rare neurological condition, after testing positive for Covid sometime earlier does not mean dying "of" Covid, in my opinion.

As to the the report of mild heart inflammation (myocarditis) in "15%" of athletes after Covid, that "15%" represented exactly four athletes in the tiny study, according to the story, which went on to say that "experts caution these results don't necessarily mean athletes who have recovered from COVID-19 are in grave danger." Myocarditis can be caused by all sorts of viruses, bacteria, molds and many other causes, such as drugs and alcohol, and is usually mild and temporary. The story itself quotes experts as saying athlete deaths from myocarditis are "exceedingly rare".

I suspect that the average college student has a greater risk of dying in a car accident driving to and from home than he or she does of dying of Covid while staying at school. But, then again, we should remember the cognate of Arthur C. Clarke's laws, which seems peculiarly apt in Covid times: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert."
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/09/20 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You get that a young person dying is not the only possible bad outcome of a young person contracting Covid, yeah?

Quote:
contagious

[ kuhn-tey-juhs ]
adjective
capable of being transmitted by bodily contact with an infected person or object:

PostPosted: 11/09/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many, many of the players have already contracted and recovered from Covid. Just because teams don’t announce it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Especially when it happened in preseason practices, and they were able to quarantine those players and their roommates very successfully. We know players on quite a few teams, and this has been going on all over.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/10/20 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
You get that a young person dying is not the only possible bad outcome of a young person contracting Covid, yeah?

Quote:
contagious

[ kuhn-tey-juhs ]
adjective
capable of being transmitted by bodily contact with an infected person or object:

Of course, and contagiousness is the very reason why bar-hopping, partying and otherwise socially congregating college age kids should stay at school and away from parents and elderly relatives at home, who are at actual risk levels for death.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/10/20 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Many, many of the players have already contracted and recovered from Covid. Just because teams don’t announce it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Especially when it happened in preseason practices, and they were able to quarantine those players and their roommates very successfully. We know players on quite a few teams, and this has been going on all over.

That's pretty irrelevant, given that antibodies levels can become undetectable several months after the initial infection. Players that had COVID back in August can get it again, and become quite ill from it, later in the season, and perhaps spread it around more easily due to a false sense of security.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: