70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Liberty
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/02/20 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartley’s skills blend well with Phoenix’s personnel. I wish her the best but she was miscast as a starting PG in NY with their scheme and personnel. Not to mention in general 47% from 3 and 17 ppg obliterates her career numbers.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 08/02/20 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/02/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The North Babylon Raptor is back!

Liberty offense is not only positionless but pointless --> 24.7 FG%. Hard to recall a team at any level shooting that badly.
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/02/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a basketball game on any level above middle school that had one team miss so many wide open shots.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a basketball game on any level above middle school that had one team miss so many wide open shots.

Well, the plan for 2020 was for the Liberty to take lots of threes. And they did, 35 of them. Five went in. For 2021, it might be better to have Ionescu, Durr, and Johannes taking those shots. Smile

But hopefully our healthy rookies will relax and shoot better in future 2020 games. As for the veterans, I'm not going to offer any excuses.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Willoughby was almost a 40% three point shooter in college. Walker (who’s obviously nowhere close to 100%) was high 40s. Hopefully soon they’ll hit a higher proportion. It’s what they were drafted for so eventually they will. I’m not in a rush. My perspective is, if people who are good shooters are getting open looks, I feel good about the game planning. As a coach that’s all you can do. So from that standpoint I think they’re really getting better.

To your point, Durr, Sab, Nurse and Johannes getting these looks not only makes the outside shooting better, but it opens driving lanes. It’s indeed the way 2020 basketball is played. Once the Liberty have an arsenal...and next year they will....the benefits of this style are going to be evident.

If next season is unaffected by Covid and the team is healthy, I’m really excited for 2021.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Willoughby was almost a 40% three point shooter in college. Walker (who’s obviously nowhere close to 100%) was high 40s. Hopefully soon they’ll hit a higher proportion. It’s what they were drafted for so eventually they will. I’m not in a rush. My perspective is, if people who are good shooters are getting open looks, I feel good about the game planning. As a coach that’s all you can do. So from that standpoint I think they’re really getting better.

To your point, Durr, Sab, Nurse and Johannes getting these looks not only makes the outside shooting better, but it opens driving lanes. It’s indeed the way 2020 basketball is played. Once the Liberty have an arsenal...and next year they will....the benefits of this style are going to be evident.

If next season is unaffected by Covid and the team is healthy, I’m really excited for 2021.

I completely agree. I definitely haven't given up on any of our rookies after three games. I felt that in many ways they played well today. There were lots of good looks, which reflects well on the coaching. Surely these rookies are feeling the pressure of their first WNBA games--and losing Sabrina obviously doesn't help.

There's also the fact that neither Nurse nor Walker can possibly be 100% yet. When they both are, that will help a lot.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, the 2021 roster will look completely different. I think Stokes is indeed gone. Do they keep Zahui B? They need posts that can actually play inside. I think, assuming they get the #1 pick again, that they take Natasha Mack. I hope they can pick-up a FA post that'll fit into Hopkins system.

PG: Ionescu/Clarendon
SG: Durr/Johannes/Jones
SF: Nurse/Walker
PF: Willoughby/Odom
C: Zahui B/Mack/Han

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/02/20 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they get Mack or the C from Finland whose name I forget, it would behoove them to trade some youth for a veteran post who fits. It would be the final piece.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides Sab, the rookie I like best is Jones. She has upside and moxie. She could fill a role for NY down the road like Copper does for Chicago although Jones is definitely more guard-ish and Copper is more forward-ish.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see Phoenix starting to gel.

First and foremost, I thought Bria would be a good fit. Glad to see she's showing me right. Razz

To be honest, Bria's my third favorite Uconn player ever (high praise..considering the first two are Bird and Taurasi..so..it's like she's #1, really.) I haven't seen her playing this confidently since her sophomore year of college..and this aggressively since..ever. I'm just really happy for her, and I hope it continues. Her mentality just needs to stay the same. She's always been talented.

I think the Manu Ginobili role, is a really good one for her. And she just fits well. You can't help off of any of the players on the floor, she's free to play the PnR - where she excels, and she's playing with a ton of fantastic passers as well. It's just a great fit.

Another huge positive - I know Diana knows this team can be really good. How do I know that? Two games in a row she's played defense. When was the last time that happened in regular season games?

I thought Skylar played good defense as well, and was very much mentally in the game - even if her stats say otherwise.

Brit's fouls were dumb. But then there were moments where she showed how great she can be. She's gotta stay on the floor against better teams in order for Phoenix to win.

I like our role players in general. Cunningham is another fantastic fit. She's the first player down the floor on either end. Always. The energy is great. What she gives up in ability, she gets back in effort. I love the energy, attitude, and chippiness. I'm sure she's a pain in the ass to play against.

Our post roation outside of Griner is solid...I just want to see less of Vaughn and more of Smith - who I think can be a really good player and a really good compliment to Griner..seeing as she's both a quality rebounder and can spread the floor. (Although Turner is a pretty good rebounder herself.) I'm glad she can't get cut out of the rotation though..but I want more minutes for her.

Coffey is also solid. She's just decent defense for a few minutes. Doesn't hurt the team at all as long as there are scorers on the floor.

Phoenix was supposed to - and should have - beaten New York..but there was still a lot to like. They need to just switch up the post minutes a bit - and figure out how to not have a third quarter collapse.

On another note..I really do feel for Sabrina. As was pointed out..it's been a rough year for her. She lost her shot at a National Title her senior year, she lost a mentor, and now she's got a major injury. I didn't get to see the NY game where she scored 33, but I want to check it out.

PostPosted: 08/02/20 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Happy for Bria though but whyyyyyy

My thoughts exactly. This season has been like one huge laugh at the Liberty's expense so far.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/03/20 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Really like what Smith brings to this Mercury team. Hard work on both sides. Similar to what Ezi brings to the Storm. Got to love the aussies

She gets to the right spots and I can't fault her effort. I'm not yet sold on the one-on-one aspects of her defense though.

PostPosted: 08/03/20 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If they get Mack or the C from Finland whose name I forget, it would behoove them to trade some youth for a veteran post who fits. It would be the final piece.

Awak Kuier (uh-WOK KOO-yer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: