RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bella Alarie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goofy2

PostPosted: 07/27/20 11:18 pm    ::: Bella Alarie Reply Reply with quote

Can you experts on here give me your opinion of Bella Alarie ? Going 5th overall ? I don't think she will be that great. I know she was great at Princeton, but I'm not convinced. Am I missing something ?

Thank you.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/28/20 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see her having a decent career as a stretch 4, but I was surprised by how high she was taken. She is NOT a guard nor should she be developed as one.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/28/20 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only one game and all that, but played very little against the Dream. Not a great sign.....

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/20 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All about the ceiling. It might not be likely that she can be one of those rare bigs with perimeter skills at the WNBA level - Stewart, Delle Donne, Parker - but the chance that she might be one of those is more valuable than a stronger shot at another middling rotation player. You shoot the three because the reward is higher than a two, even if it's less likely to go in.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a player who is 6-4, Alarie has above average ball handling ability, good shooting range, and she moves pretty fluidly. However, Bella’s ball handling is not guard-level good and her distance shooting is inconsistent. Alarie is also thin for her height. I didn’t see her a lot, but every time I watched Bella in college she was playing center. I saw her at PF at times for USA Basketball. Alarie is a guard like Candace Parker and EDD are guards, which is to say not really. However, she fits well into the increasingly popular concept of positionless basketball. Bottom line on Alarie is that she is a high ceiling prospect, but she’s a project. I always thought Bella had the widest range in terms of where she could end up in the draft. Before Sabally and Carter declared, we talked about her on this board as landing anywhere from low lottery pick to high second round. So, being drafted #5 was a surprise but not a shocker. Personally, I assumed Dallas would want a PG or SF after taking a tall player in Sabally at #2. Since there weren’t many good SF choices in the draft, I predicted they’d grab Walker while she was available. After that, I thought Harris, Hebard, and Mompremier would go ahead of Alarie, leaving Bella with New York at #9. Instead, the opposite happened – Alarie #5, Walker #9.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
For a player who is 6-4, Alarie has above average ball handling ability, good shooting range, and she moves pretty fluidly. However, Bella’s ball handling is not guard-level good and her distance shooting is inconsistent. Alarie is also thin for her height. I didn’t see her a lot, but every time I watched Bella in college she was playing center. I saw her at PF at times for USA Basketball. Alarie is a guard like Candace Parker and EDD are guards, which is to say not really. However, she fits well into the increasingly popular concept of positionless basketball. Bottom line on Alarie is that she is a high ceiling prospect, but she’s a project. I always thought Bella had the widest range in terms of where she could end up in the draft. Before Sabally and Carter declared, we talked about her on this board as landing anywhere from low lottery pick to high second round. So, being drafted #5 was a surprise but not a shocker. Personally, I assumed Dallas would want a PG or SF after taking a tall player in Sabally at #2. Since there weren’t many good SF choices in the draft, I predicted they’d grab Walker while she was available. After that, I thought Harris, Hebard, and Mompremier would go ahead of Alarie, leaving Bella with New York at #9. Instead, the opposite happened – Alarie #5, Walker #9.

Shocked

PostPosted: 07/28/20 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Shocked

Is the shock because you think she is better or worse than that assessment?

PostPosted: 07/28/20 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

She's 6'5

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because she's tall and blonde and played at a mid-major and isn't a post player, people badly want her to be Elena Delle Donne. She's really not, though.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
She's 6'5

Princeton listed Alarie at 6-4, USA Basketball 6-5, HoopGurlz 6-3. I went for the average. Smile

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Only one game and all that, but played very little against the Dream. Not a great sign.....

Well, what do we think about the #6 pick, one behind her, who played 0 minutes and her coach came right out and said, she didn't practice well enough and didn't play as a result.

In defense of these players though, I think it's way harder to come into the league as a post.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Because she's tall and blonde and played at a mid-major and isn't a post player, people badly want her to be Elena Delle Donne. She's really not, though.

+1

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
All about the ceiling. It might not be likely that she can be one of those rare bigs with perimeter skills at the WNBA level - Stewart, Delle Donne, Parker - but the chance that she might be one of those is more valuable than a stronger shot at another middling rotation player. You shoot the three because the reward is higher than a two, even if it's less likely to go in.

So why dump A.Stevens then?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, I thought they gave up on her too soon too, but I guess they either weren't that impressed after two years with her at the franchise, or they really like KLS just that much.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or she asked for it..

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
She's 6'5

Princeton listed Alarie at 6-4, USA Basketball 6-5, HoopGurlz 6-3. I went for the average. Smile

I saw her in person before they left for Florida, she's definately 6'5!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Liz Cambage convinced her she should play for any team except Dallas!

Randy

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Liz Cambage convinced her she should play for any team except Dallas!

She never stays anywhere very long. Maybe she just has that wanderlust.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
She's 6'5

I saw her in person before they left for Florida, she's definately 6'5!!!

OK!!!

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
She never stays anywhere very long. Maybe she just has that wanderlust.

Free and easy
That's my style
Howdy-do me?
Watch me smile
But fare-the-well me
After a while
'Cause I gotta roam
And any place I hang my hat is home

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

09 has hinted for a little while now that Stevens wanted out. Lo and behold, out she went. It wasn't a terrible trade on paper, until you remember that Samuelson was widely considered a reach as a lottery pick in 2019 (I predicted that she wouldn't even crack the Top 10, especially taking into account her injury history).

Randy wrote:

I agree. Though to be fair, that entire game was not a great sign for the Wings. I can't say I believe Agler knows what he's doing with this young team - neither Gray nor Thornton starting despite being the Wings' most consistent contributors last season vexes me the most. I could see him resigning or getting canned at the end of the year. Though I believed he could do the job when he was hired, guiding a rebuilding team while being a coach known for preferring veterans does seem like too clashy a concept now. If Alarie and other players on the roster are legitimate works in progress like they seem to be, Agler just doesn't seem like the right coach to develop them...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/28/20 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Or she asked for it..

_______________x

PostPosted: 07/28/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Or she asked for it..

_______________x

I understand you've said that. I assume you have good sources but just find it a bit hard to believe. Stars can ask for it as mav says, but it's pretty rare for a young player just getting established to do so.

Stormeo wrote:

It wasn't a terrible trade on paper, until you remember that Samuelson was widely considered a reach as a lottery pick in 2019 (I predicted that she wouldn't even crack the Top 10, especially taking into account her injury history).

Yeah, I don't think KLS has anywhere near the potential of Stevens...but guess we will see how it plays out.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 07/28/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Yeah, I don't think KLS has anywhere near the potential of Stevens...but guess we will see how it plays out.

The KLS aspect was just a player dump. Dallas also got Chicago’s 2021 first round pick in the trade.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: