RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Mercury vs Fever - 7/29/20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Mercury
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Fever
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Message
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1326
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm ok with Dupree shooting straightaway (or thereabouts) 3s, since she has such a natural shooting stroke. Achonwa and the other active posts for Indiana otoh have absolutely no business imo.

This seems like one of those classic Fever-Merc games - an up & down barnburner. Fun to watch!



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix is Sandy figuring out the lineup away from being a real threat. You can see the potential in players like Smith but she needs to be playing real minutes with the real lead guards on the team.

Still not sure how I feel about Hartley being out on the floor without Skylar or Diana.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15353
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Stanley lets McCowan actually play, and she has 8 and 6 in 13 minutes and largely takes Griner out of the game.

Impressed by the team tonight. When the shooting is working, they can be dangerous.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6310
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An optical illusion half: two good offenses or two bad defenses?
Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 659



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy that Smith is having herself a decent game so far. After the season opener, I was worried.

I'm curious to see Smith match up against Ezi when the Storm play. The future of Australia.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1326
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Still not sure how I feel about Hartley being out on the floor without Skylar or Diana.

Hartley should be a starter since she's getting paid like one. Rolling Eyes But in all seriousness, all three players can play PG, so they don't need to have a bench PG. Just keep one of them in when bringing in the second unit. Coffey and SWK respectively as that third perimeter starter hasn't worked in these first couple games anyway. Weird that Brondello insists having Hartley come off the bench.



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Still not sure how I feel about Hartley being out on the floor without Skylar or Diana.

Hartley should be a starter since she's getting paid like one. Rolling Eyes But in all seriousness, all three players can play PG, so they don't need to have a bench PG. Just keep one of them in when bringing in the second unit. Coffey and SWK respectively as that third perimeter starter hasn't worked in these first couple games anyway. Weird that Brondello insists having Hartley come off the bench.


Something doesn't feel right about the lineup. There is obviously a lot of youth on the roster which makes things difficult when you have three veteran starters. I would like to see Griner and Smith together and Diana and Hartley get more combined minutes. Skylar is your rock. She can calm the storm when Diana and Griner are both on the bench and play off the ball when the starting unit is in.


But I am no coach and have zero credibility to be talking about it haha.


mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18758



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Phoenix is Sandy figuring out the lineup away from being a real threat. You can see the potential in players like Smith but she needs to be playing real minutes with the real lead guards on the team.

Still not sure how I feel about Hartley being out on the floor without Skylar or Diana.


Oh boy.

I think we need to play Skylar and Hartley together just so they can figure out how to play with each other. At the end of the day, we may not want to start Hartley for off the bench purposes, but it's likely we're going to want her in the game at the end. Let them gel.

Also, I'm gonna say it again. If we aren't starting Hartley for scoring off the bench (Understandable), start Cunningham. And yes, Smith needs minutes too.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18758



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
An optical illusion half: two good offenses or two bad defenses?


I mean, it's the Mercury so... Laughing



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1295



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
So Stanley lets McCowan actually play, and she has 8 and 6 in 13 minutes and largely takes Griner out of the game.

Impressed by the team tonight. When the shooting is working, they can be dangerous.


And then probably sits her to start the half. Lol


mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar giving the Mercury a lot of nothing tonight.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22082



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just two games in, but Phoenix has looked really bad so far.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just two games in, but Phoenix has looked really bad so far.


If Diana and Sky combine for 6 shots, it's not going to look good. Struggling to understand the offensive scheme.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2241
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll say the same thing I said last year: more Sophie.
Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 659



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I’ll say the same thing I said last year: more Sophie.


If Diana's going to shoot 10% from three this year, I'd agree.

Smith's having herself a nice game so far. I'm liking it when Smith and Sophie come in. There just feels like more flow and defense.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2241
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I’ll say the same thing I said last year: more Sophie.


If Diana's going to shoot 10% from three this year, I'd agree.

Smith's having herself a nice game so far. I'm liking it when Smith and Sophie come in. There just feels like more flow and defense.


I agree. I just love the energy that Sophie brings. Bring her in, it can’t be any worse than having 7 rebounds as a team in the first half.
Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2241
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it was a really smart move on Sandy’s part to let Griner rest while McCowan was on the floor, allowing Griner to come in and match up with Natalie the last few minutes of the quarter.
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I’ll say the same thing I said last year: more Sophie.


If Diana's going to shoot 10% from three this year, I'd agree.

Smith's having herself a nice game so far. I'm liking it when Smith and Sophie come in. There just feels like more flow and defense.


I agree. I just love the energy that Sophie brings. Bring her in, it can’t be any worse than having 7 rebounds as a team in the first half.


Bench squad just wants it more tonight.

+1 to Hartley, Sophie and Smith


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 659



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if you told me that Alanna Smith would be in double figures, and the Merc would only be down by 1, I would've laughed.

Bria Hartley's earning her dough right now.


mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18758



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I’ll say the same thing I said last year: more Sophie.


If Diana's going to shoot 10% from three this year, I'd agree.

Smith's having herself a nice game so far. I'm liking it when Smith and Sophie come in. There just feels like more flow and defense.


I agree. I just love the energy that Sophie brings. Bring her in, it can’t be any worse than having 7 rebounds as a team in the first half.


Again, if we want to keep Bria as a scoring option off the bench - Sophie needs to be the starter. I can see her playing a hyper Talbot role.

We really just need more aggression from Taurasi and Smith though. At the end of the day, Phoenix isn't going anywhere without the big three actually playing like a big three. IF they can get going, and Bria keeps playing like this..plus Sandy gets the role players right..they could be dangerous.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2241
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember when Griner was a defensive standout and rim protector lol
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 956



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Smith can keep serving us some Penny Taylor, look out.


titanpa1998



Joined: 25 Mar 2020
Posts: 41



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins-Smith is so overrated it's laughable. Not impressed with Brianna Turner either. She can't dribble or shoot outside the paint for the life of her.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54731



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan’s gotta hang in there. She’s looking a little gassed, after not getting many minutes in the last game.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1326
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/20 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Remember when Griner was a defensive standout and rim protector lol

It's surprising seeing the Merc revert to the Paul Westhead/Corey Gaines era at least defensively, the defense has been bad.
(To the delight of this Storm fan Very Happy )



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin