RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liz Shimek is the SHIZZZ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samaria

PostPosted: 12/21/05 9:10 pm    ::: Liz Shimek is the SHIZZZ Reply Reply with quote

We all question her ability in the WNBA. It's true that it may not be the place for her, she obviously isn't quite enough to play the 3. I think with a little more coaching she'll be good enough to play ok. I really do, she works so hard and can do a little bit of everything. Great team player.

She gets her shots blocked a lot, though. But she's tough. She gets banged around but ALWAYS limps back in for more.

She's doing great now. I don't know her stats now, but it was about 18 mins into the first half and she already had 18 points and 9 rebounds! Talk about EXPLODING.

GO state!

PostPosted: 12/21/05 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She just nailed a three. Good for Liz!

PostPosted: 12/22/05 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Sooner, I totally agree: Shimek is outstanding. I think she will do ok in the WNBA as long as she finds the right team.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

looked slow to me. Talented, but slow.

Samaria

PostPosted: 12/22/05 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Well she works hard; finished the game with 25 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 11-16 in field goals, 1-3 in three pointers, and 2-2 from the line. That's pretty good. Yeah, she could use some more work on her footspeed. I agree.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Well she works hard; finished the game with 25 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 11-16 in field goals, 1-3 in three pointers, and 2-2 from the line. That's pretty good. Yeah, she could use some more work on her footspeed. I agree.

I just re-read, let me clarify, she looks WNBA slow to me. She's quite a college player.

stever

PostPosted: 12/22/05 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shimek got her head handed to her in the Virgin Islands vs. Tennessee & Maryland. I thought that might happen last night vs. Paris, also. As a pro, I think she projects as a blue-collar, Kristin Rassmussen type role-player, at best.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking, definitely a role player, but will show sparks of something at times it is needed. She won't be an unknown player, but not a star either. But man she is good in the college game.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she finds some team that could use her as a role player. She's a great college player, good personality too.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/22/05 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan14 wrote:
I hope she finds some team that could use her as a role player. She's a great college player, good personality too.

Her rebounding is uncanny. I still think she might make a good pick for the SUN to replace Brooke.

PostPosted: 12/24/05 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
wnbafan14 wrote:

Her rebounding is uncanny. I still think she might make a good pick for the SUN to replace Brooke.

I hope not...

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/24/05 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont think she'll be around for the Sun to take her. I think if she keeps up this play all season, she could go in the 5-9 range. Which is Washington, Chicago, Minnesota, L.A. and New York.

PostPosted: 12/25/05 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
I dont think she'll be around for the Sun to take her. I think if she keeps up this play all season, she could go in the 5-9 range. Which is Washington, Chicago, Minnesota, L.A. and New York.

I think so too-- but I wouldn't draft her yet. I agree exactly with DTS. (And she is not going to Minnesota. Not unless Kristen Mann gets hit by a truck in the offseason, and maybe not even then.)

Samaria

PostPosted: 12/25/05 7:39 am    ::: Re: Liz Shimek is the SHIZZZ Reply Reply with quote

As much as I like Katie Smith as a player, I can't help but be disappointed about the good draft pick we gave up. The Shock could have ended up with Liz. Well, it's not like they need her. They have enough post players.

PostPosted: 12/25/05 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't Katie a unrestricted free agent this year? Wherever she goes, that will be my 2nd team (NY Liberty will be first).

PostPosted: 12/25/05 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
Isn't Katie a unrestricted free agent this year? Wherever she goes, that will be my 2nd team (NY Liberty will be first).

I would be very surprised if she left the Shock. Not only has BL made clear how much he values her-- it's also one of just two teams within reasonable driving distance of Katie's beloved Columbus, Ohio (the other being the Fever).

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/25/05 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

I would be very surprised if she left the Shock. Not only has BL made clear how much he values her-- it's also one of just two teams within reasonable driving distance of Katie's beloved Columbus, Ohio (the other being the Fever).

I agree. I think she likes her role in Detroit too. Shes not asked to score 20 points a night...

PostPosted: 12/25/05 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:

The fact she was protected indicates that the Shock will probably core her.
Samaria

PostPosted: 12/25/05 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:

So, is Detroit going to be your second team, assuming she stays there?

PostPosted: 12/28/05 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003 wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

so what r u trying to say detriot isn't your favorite team Question

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/28/05 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goddess wrote:
lilswin2003 wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

so what r u trying to say detriot isn't your favorite team Question

Yes, Detroit will be my second team. I'm not a usual Detroit fan, I did root for them the year they won it all (because its a cool story), and I do like a few Detroit players, but I don't like the coach (leftovers from back in the day when Laimbeer was a whiny, bully player-I was a Celtic fan).

When Katie was at Minn, they were my first team and NY was my second (still mad at Whitmore for leaving, still love T-Spoon and wish she was still playing), but I can't even bring myself to wear my Lynx shirts now.

PostPosted: 12/28/05 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

I agree. I think she likes her role in Detroit too. Shes not asked to score 20 points a night...

Accomodatingly: yes
Streaks: not really.

At least based on what she said end of season; maybe Evil Bill got to her in the offseason to make her see the light.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/28/05 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, since/if Katie is unrestricted, the Shock didn't need to "protect" her, did they? They still have to come to terms with her, as do all unrestricted free agents and teams, correct?

PostPosted: 12/28/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
BTW, since/if Katie is unrestricted, the Shock didn't need to "protect" her, did they? They still have to come to terms with her, as do all unrestricted free agents and teams, correct?

They cored her and protected her.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/28/05 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I was confused about the process. I thought unrestricted free agents couldn't be drafted by Chicago because they were free agents.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: