RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Cancels Non-Conference Games for Fall Sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/09/20 9:15 pm    ::: Big Ten Cancels Non-Conference Games for Fall Sports Reply Reply with quote

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Quote:
Big Ten Statement on 2020-21 Fall Season

We are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority.

To that end, the Big Ten Conference announced today that if the Conference is able to participate in fall sports (men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball) based on medical advice, it will move to Conference-only schedules in those sports. Details for these sports will be released at a later date, while decisions on sports not listed above will continue to be evaluated. By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic......

mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/09/20 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides the B1G schools themselves taking the financial hit from lost revenue, the MAC schools will be hardest hit. Many of them get 1.5 million guarantees from B1G opponents.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/10/20 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the P12 is doing the same.

It's included in this article about the P12 commissioner having Covid: https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2020/07/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/10/20 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing against only conference opponents won't make much of a difference if all the teams still have to travel to play each other. No area in this country is any sort of safe haven anymore. Imo the NCAA is better off trying to figure out how to move at least football to the spring, in the hopes that there's even rumors of a vaccine on the way by then. Until that day comes though, I don't see college sports happening in any capacity now that the pandemic in the US has more or less gotten past the point of no return. I highly doubt case numbers/deaths start to nationally recede at any point through the rest of the summer (nor do I think they'll even start plateauing), even if we wake up tomorrow to all the states magically deciding to mandate mask-wearing and go back to Phase 1 (or 0).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/16/20 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, the Pac-12 responded in kind and will be conference-only games.

Tomorrow (Friday), it is expected that the CAA will be cancelling football season. While it is an FCS conference, they were scheduled to play 13 games vs FBS programs, including several vs ACC schools. The CAA Football Conference has a different makeup than the CAA in other sports. In football, they have teams like Maine, New Hampshire, Albany, Rhode Island and Stony Brook along with full CAA members like James Madison, Delaware, William & Mary, etc.

I just don't see any fall sports happening this year.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/16/20 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm, double post. No clue how that happened but my apologies

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Playing against only conference opponents won't make much of a difference if all the teams still have to travel to play each other. No area in this country is any sort of safe haven anymore. Imo the NCAA is better off trying to figure out how to move at least football to the spring, in the hopes that there's even rumors of a vaccine on the way by then. Until that day comes though, I don't see college sports happening in any capacity now that the pandemic in the US has more or less gotten past the point of no return. I highly doubt case numbers/deaths start to nationally recede at any point through the rest of the summer (nor do I think they'll even start plateauing), even if we wake up tomorrow to all the states magically deciding to mandate mask-wearing and go back to Phase 1 (or 0).

Agree with all of the above.

Re: a vaccine. Three pharm companies have now reported successful Phase 1 tests of their vaccines...which means a small number (~50) of people received the vaccine, produced COVID anti-bodies, and didn't have significant adverse reactions when receiving an effective dose. They're all supposed to start Phase 3 testing, meaning using tens of thousands of test subjects to solidify those results, within a few weeks. There's still a long way to go, but at least there's some promising information, and Moderna is reportedly so confident in their vax that they've started manufacturing and stockpiling doses for public distribution.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 07/17/20 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Re: a vaccine. Three pharm companies have now reported successful Phase 1 tests of their vaccines...which means a small number (~50) of people received the vaccine, produced COVID anti-bodies, and didn't have significant adverse reactions when receiving an effective dose. They're all supposed to start Phase 3 testing, meaning using tens of thousands of test subjects to solidify those results, within a few weeks. There's still a long way to go, but at least there's some promising information, and Moderna is reportedly so confident in their vax that they've started manufacturing and stockpiling doses for public distribution.

There are many reasons to be optimistic about the development of a vaccine. However, there are fewer reasons to be optimistic that the US can efficiently and effectively handle widescale distribution of a vaccine within a couple of months of its development to those who need it most, like health care providers, those over age 60, those with immune-compromised systems, those with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, etc. As for the rest of us, including college athletes that don't fit into the "high risk" categories, we likely won't see access to vaccines for several months after distribution begins. The US population is about 330 million; getting even half that number vaccinated within 6-9 months of an FDA-approval of a vaccine is huge undertaking. Call me skeptical, but you know, many nurses still can't get access to adequate PPE, and they work in hospitals, so the distribution point is relatively simple.

With this in mind, it's not a stretch to think that there will not be any women's college bball games this year. We are all going to be watching re-runs of games this fall and winter instead.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/17/20 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Rebkell's Outdoor Kid! Cool

Yep. This "Conference Only" stuff might just be a move to placate until they lower the boom with "Yeah, NO....forget about it".

PostPosted: 07/17/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Disturbing report in today's SF Chronicle that UCSF is abandoning research on vaccines because evidence shows that antibodies for COVID-19 don't last long enough in the human body to provide long-term protection.

It's behind the pay wall so I can't link to it ... just hoping they're wrong.

PostPosted: 07/17/20 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Disturbing report in today's SF Chronicle that UCSF is abandoning research on vaccines because evidence shows that antibodies for COVID-19 don't last long enough in the human body to provide long-term protection.

It's behind the pay wall so I can't link to it ... just hoping they're wrong.

Howee - thanks for the welcome! Appreciate it.

This video helped me to understand more about what we are hearing in the press about anti-body tests. It was published two days ago by NOVA/PBS: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/antibody-tests-coronavirus-immunity/

In short, we don't now know enough about antibodies (or potential vaccines) to say that a vaccine will or won't provide immunity to COVID-19 for a long period of time.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/18/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CAA canceled all conference football games and left it up to individual schools whether to play non-conference games. I rather think nobody will, and I suspect the basketball season will either be a wash, or extremely limited. Pity, since i was really looking forward to JMU's new arena. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 08/10/20 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like they're about ready to cancel all of football.

Other leagues, and the NCAA won't be far behind.
Quote:
The Big Ten is on the verge of not playing football this fall, three people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Detroit Free Press.

Quote:
Multiple persons with knowledge of the process said Monday morning that presidents voted 12-2 to end the season, though the Big Ten said Monday afternoon no official vote had taken place.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/08/10/big-ten-votes-against-college-football-season-due-coivd-concerns/3332196001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/11/20 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point it appears the Pac-12 and Big 10 are ready to cancel. The ACC and Big 12 appear to want to play and the SEC which currently has the most hot spots for Covid hasn't committed. I don't believe the SEC wants to jump out in front on this, but they also have the most to lose. Playing in the fall will mean few if any fans and playing a split schedule (some teams in the fall, others in spring. will undo any chance of a true national championship.

I suspect all will wind up moving to the spring, probably starting training camps in mid-January and playing the season from mid-February to Mid-May, with championships in June. Of course what this does for other sports is hard to tell, but I suspect there will be no sports, including basketball until 2021

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/11/20 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Once the rest of the country cancels football, then we'll know there's no fall sports at all. Then we'll know there's no basketball games in the fall." Geno

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29634982/uconn-geno-auriemma-anticipating-long-wait-start-college-hoops-season

Seems right to me. What do the rest of you think?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/11/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been saying right along that there wouldn't be any fall sports. Other conferences, e.g Ivy and Patriot Leagues, cancelled all their fall sports weeks ago. Assorted schools have been cutting various sports. OOC games have been cancelled. The handwriting has been on this wall for a long time now. And TBH, I think there's at best a 50/50 chance that spring sports will happen.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/11/20 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've been saying right along that there wouldn't be any fall sports. Other conferences, e.g Ivy and Patriot Leagues, cancelled all their fall sports weeks ago. Assorted schools have been cutting various sports. OOC games have been cancelled. The handwriting has been on this wall for a long time now. And TBH, I think there's at best a 50/50 chance that spring sports will happen.

Accurate.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/27/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Multiple schools that have reopened are reporting hundreds of students testing positive for COVID and being required to quarantine (Ohio State, Alabama, USC, UNC). OSU suspended 200 students for ignoring social distancing and other safety guidelines.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/936307?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2527938&faf=1

HTH do you endorse traveling and close contact with people at other schools when you can't get control over the virus on your own campus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: