RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Issues at Oklahoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkdafied

PostPosted: 08/29/20 1:41 am    ::: Issues at Oklahoma Reply Reply with quote

It started with this tweet from former Sooner Gioya Carter:

https://twitter.com/gioyacarter25/status/1299393801644134405?s=12

Now other OU players, including current Sooner Madi Williams, are liking, retweeting and commenting in agreement.

There’s been no comment from Sherri Coale.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5670312/ou-womens-basketball-former-sooners-allege-sherri-coale?

Howee

PostPosted: 08/29/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. That's fairly damning, if not shocking. Shocked

Though there certainly may be more layers to the skid of decline that's been playing out over the past few years, this is honestly one that hadn't occurred to me: Coale is letting her racism show.

I had suspected that her (fairly) overt tones of "Christianity" might be somehow involved....and that's probably a tangential factor; why/how else might a bright, dynamic coach involved in the development of young female student athletes be an actual Trump supporter?? Shocked

PostPosted: 08/29/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Norman, we have a problem...

PostPosted: 08/29/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Dang. That's fairly damning, if not shocking. Shocked

Though there certainly may be more layers to the skid of decline that's been playing out over the past few years, this is honestly one that hadn't occurred to me: Coale is letting her racism show.

I had suspected that her (fairly) overt tones of "Christianity" might be somehow involved....and that's probably a tangential factor; why/how else might a bright, dynamic coach involved in the development of young female student athletes be an actual Trump supporter?? Shocked
I agree. 100%....I don't get the Christian hate that comes with the (t)rump supported Christians. I see no Christ in any of them....

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 08/29/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW, I don't get all the hate for Trump, he loves sports and is calling for every team to play. Just because he is a Christian he should not be hated.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/29/20 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
WOW, I don't get all the hate for Trump, he loves sports and is calling for every team to play. Just because he is a Christian he should not be hated.

He is not a christian.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 08/29/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

IF only he WERE a Christian....One doesn't boastfully grab pussies, have affairs on his pregnant wife, lie and cheat in business ventures, incessantly mock others AND get to be considered as a bona fide Christian.

This thread isn't about him though....it's about a Christian coach who (as the article states) supports the president AND is apparently showing a racist bias in how she treats her players. This also negates her standing as a "Real Christian", if it proves to be true.

PostPosted: 08/30/20 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

IF only he WERE a Christian....One doesn't boastfully grab pussies, have affairs on his pregnant wife, lie and cheat in business ventures, incessantly mock others AND get to be considered as a bona fide Christian.

This thread isn't about him though....it's about a Christian coach who (as the article states) supports the president AND is apparently showing a racist bias in how she treats her players. This also negates her standing as a "Real Christian", if it proves to be true.

EXACTLY. Nobody (else) mentioned that orange person at all.

PostPosted: 08/30/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you are GOD.. All this happen before he give his life to Christ.. He is the only politician calling for all sports to be played. A lot of conference are shutting down sports. He is saying let them to play.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/30/20 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
So you are GOD.. All this happen before he give his life to Christ.. He is the only politician calling for all sports to be played. A lot of conference are shutting down sports. He is saying let them to play.

He's given his life to Christ?? Shocked Razz

"Calling for all sports to be played" is HARDLY Christ-like, given how it raises the odds of illness/death, for the amusement of the masses. It is decidedly NOT What Jesus Would Do.

But....again....this thread is about Oklahoma. We can gladly continue the Jesus/Trump conversation in Area 51.

PostPosted: 08/30/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee OK GOD have it your way You know everything.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/30/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, you're quite welcome. Anytime! Cool

PostPosted: 08/30/20 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sherri Coale has responded:

https://oklahoman.com/article/5670449/ou-womens-basketball-it-is-clear-that-i-have-unknowingly-caused-harm-to-people-i-care-deeply-about-sherri-coale-says

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 08/31/20 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
(t)rump a Christian ??? What a joke....he is playing Christian...and playing with Christians to get what he wants...you know...like Jerry Falwell Jr..Christians....users.....

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/31/20 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooners' Sherri Coale apologizes after ex-players say program racially insensitive
Mechelle Voepel ESPN.com
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29776304/sooners-sherri-coale-apologizes-ex-players-say-program-racially-insensitive

I think a lot of coaches live in their own school's athletics bubble, unaware of social change in the outside, real world.

p.s. Is it Godwin's Law II that the current president's name kills all meaningful internet exchange? Can we please stick to women's basketball! Rolling Eyes

Howee

PostPosted: 08/31/20 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EXCELLENT article by Voepel.

That Sherri has addressed it without denials and this quickly is to her credit

As a (previously) long-time Oklahoma fan, a couple things have been obvious: Coale has had an enviable record of success but now, a several-years long slump in winning seasons. She's lost a lot of key talent in recent years (Pellington, Mulkey and Dungee come to mind), with no obvious explanations to be discerned.

Kids like Carter and Williams (and many others) DID stick it out their 4 years, so I'd deduce that conditions weren't horribly intolerable. But in our current climate, I applaud their efforts to shed light on a situation that could stand improvement.

The statements by kids like Sherri's daughter-in-law Morgan (Hook) Coale, or Maddie Manning demonstrate the white 'blindness'....to situations they themselves were immersed in: Yes, Sherri WAS a strong, loving coach to all, BUT....that doesn't mean she didn't demonstrate palpable insensitivity to the black players' perspectives. The story of the Monticello visit was a good example.

PostPosted: 08/31/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

As a (previously) long-time Oklahoma fan, a couple things have been obvious: Coale has had an enviable record of success but now, a several-years long slump in winning seasons. She's lost a lot of key talent in recent years (Pellington, Mulkey and Dungee come to mind), with no obvious explanations to be discerned.

Kids like Carter and Williams (and many others) DID stick it out their 4 years, so I'd deduce that conditions weren't horribly intolerable. But in our current climate, I applaud their efforts to shed light on a situation that could stand improvement.

The statements by kids like Sherri's daughter-in-law Morgan (Hook) Coale, or Maddie Manning demonstrate the white 'blindness'....to situations they themselves were immersed in: Yes, Sherri WAS a strong, loving coach to all, BUT....that doesn't mean she didn't demonstrate palpable insensitivity to the black players' perspectives. The story of the Monticello visit was a good example.

Good post, Howee, and from someone who has undoubtedly experienced prejudice of another kind. You rock!

PostPosted: 08/31/20 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

What does the development of young female student athletes have to do with being a Trump supporter?

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/31/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Yikes, I read the statements made by Morgan and Maddie Confused Talk about tone deaf?. I'm really afraid there's no turning back for this country.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/31/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU, which had a great run in the 2000's, has had mostly NCAA 1st or 2nd round appearances since 2011-12, with one Sweet 16. Not a bad run, but also not consistently a top 25 program now. Her declining record would be reason enough to be dismissed as coach at some schools.

As for her comments, whew. Seems like time is passing Sherri Coale right on by. If OU cares about it's program, it needs to move on. If Sherri Coale cares about OU's recruiting future, she needs to resign.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/31/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
What does the development of young female student athletes have to do with being a Trump supporter?

Again, this topic is best served in Area 51, no?

PostPosted: 08/31/20 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:

Again, this topic is best served in Area 51, no?

Completely agreed. I don't post and am turned off once it goes down that road...

Howee

PostPosted: 08/31/20 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
OU, which had a great run in the 2000's, has had mostly NCAA 1st or 2nd round appearances since 2011-12, with one Sweet 16. Not a bad run, but also not consistently a top 25 program now. Her declining record would be reason enough to be dismissed as coach at some schools.

As for her comments, whew. Seems like time is passing Sherri Coale right on by. If OU cares about it's program, it needs to move on. If Sherri Coale cares about OU's recruiting future, she needs to resign.

I dunno....she certainly CAN be a great coach re: Xs & Os, etc. And IFF she's willing and able to do a turnaround, admit her shortcomings and 'fix it', it'd be a great model for coaches and players alike.

I'm VERY curious to hear what (if anything) Courtney Paris has to offer on the topic. If any of you here are new enough to not remember her, Courtney was the NCAA record-setter (AP All American, AP POY, etc.) that is now Sherri's assistant at Oklahoma.

PostPosted: 09/02/20 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
OutdoorsKid wrote:

I dunno....she certainly CAN be a great coach re: Xs & Os, etc. And IFF she's willing and able to do a turnaround, admit her shortcomings and 'fix it', it'd be a great model for coaches and players alike.

Ok, but if you have a choice between a coach who has never made racially insensitive remarks, and one who just had to apologize for doing it and did make such remarks over the course of several years, and that same coach really hasn't had a rockstar record in a while, would you want to play for them? See, I think this comes back to bite her hardest with recruiting.

Quote:
I'm VERY curious to hear what (if anything) Courtney Paris has to offer on the topic. If any of you here are new enough to not remember her, Courtney was the NCAA record-setter (AP All American, AP POY, etc.) that is now Sherri's assistant at Oklahoma.

Me, too, but do you realisticly think that Courtney is going to be frank about what she thinks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: