RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/12/20 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Lawson was just prickly, and didn't want to be interviewed or talk to reporters who were not high-level. She was never mean but was never approachable and never gave a hint that she would talk to a reporter as a person. It was clear that any question was a waste of her valuable time.

Again, this was a long time ago, and people change ... but your point about high standards is a good one. It's something all highly motivated, intense players must deal with when they become coaches, because the vast majority of people are not as highly motivated and not as intense. Adjustments must be made on both sides, and sometimes they prove to be simply too much for one or the other.

The subsequent transition from player to ESPN reporter and analyst may have shifted her feelings about interviews substantially. And hopefully she will be approachable to the team and staff that she'll be leading.

Who also can forget the CBS Behind the scenes special of the UConn game her senior year and they caught her ignoring Pat then storming away from her while she was talking to her? As the previous post mentioned, I hope her attitude has shifted from that snobby/bratty type..she got the job by default, Sheryl Swoopes style.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/13/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will always love Kara Lawson for her Tweet that night!

https://twitter.com/karalawson20/status/848318800030203904?s=20

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The woman knows basketball. We'll see how she can do at coaching. I think having a bit of a prickly personality is actually a positive thing. Nobody's gonna run over her. I don't think it's at all like Swoopes. My impression with Swoopes was that her game was largely intuitive so when she started coaching she expected the kids to be like her. Lawson's game is much more mental...and I think more teachable. But we will see.

PostPosted: 07/13/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations Kara Lawson, for being hired as the next head coach for Duke women's basketball. I definitely must watch more ACC games this upcoming season.

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are Kara Lawson's five biggest priorities as Duke's new head coach?
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29449846/what-kara-lawson-five-biggest-priorities-duke-new-head-coach

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/13/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29449846/what-kara-lawson-five-biggest-priorities-duke-new-head-coach

Interesting to see Holly Warlick mentioned as a possible AC. I actually think that might be a good fit. She's always been an outstanding recruiter and provided an approachable face to players as an AC.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/14/20 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)

Interesting to see Holly Warlick mentioned as a possible AC. I actually think that might be a good fit. She's always been an outstanding recruiter and provided an approachable face to players as an AC.

Do not expect to see Holly at Duke, unless something has changed.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Lawson was just prickly, and didn't want to be interviewed or talk to reporters who were not high-level. She was never mean but was never approachable and never gave a hint that she would talk to a reporter as a person. It was clear that any question was a waste of her valuable time.

Again, this was a long time ago, and people change ... but your point about high standards is a good one. It's something all highly motivated, intense players must deal with when they become coaches, because the vast majority of people are not as highly motivated and not as intense. Adjustments must be made on both sides, and sometimes they prove to be simply too much for one or the other.

The subsequent transition from player to ESPN reporter and analyst may have shifted her feelings about interviews substantially. And hopefully she will be approachable to the team and staff that she'll be leading.

Who also can forget the CBS Behind the scenes special of the UConn game her senior year and they caught her ignoring Pat then storming away from her while she was talking to her? As the previous post mentioned, I hope her attitude has shifted from that snobby/bratty type..she got the job by default, Sheryl Swoopes style.

Last edited by summertime blues on 07/14/20 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Some people grow up. Perhaps you could too.

PostPosted: 07/15/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z3_-dd8HHnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: