RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Quote:
Lo and behold: Duke tells former coach Gail Goestenkors she is not a candidate to replace McCallie

I wouldn't count GG out completely. Sometimes alumni fan pressure can turn the tide. She's only 57 -- some of you have her signed up for Medicare already.

Sorry that you are disappointed, but she won’t be returning to Duke. Time to start thinking about others who might be a good fit.

I'm curious about why you're so firm in your conviction that Duke will not hire Coach G under any circumstances. If it were your team you're talking about bringing back the best coach ever who left after being disrespected by the administration, would you still be so clear? Or is it that Duke admin continues to disrespect women's athletics that leads you to know they won't bring back Coach G?

Since Duke supposedly already told Gail they wouldn't consider her, that seems fairly final.

My question was directed to Ripley, who said Duke would not hire Gail before Duke released that info.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/08/20 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was told at the time GG left Duke, by a 40+ year big time Duke basketball booster and former president of the Duke alum association, that GG's departure was not entirely voluntary on her part. That some powerful people behind the scenes were opposed to her, for reasons that sounded unlikely but not impossible to me.

Regardless of whether that was true and in any event, the ESPN report that GG is not being considered for the position by the now-changed administration has never been denied and has even been confirmed by her. The Duke Chronicle appears to believe that it's true and offers its own list of favorites, contenders, long shots and others:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2020/07/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-search-gail-goestenkors-mark-campbell-lindsey-harding
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/08/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, the "contenders" look better than the so-called "favorites". Maybe the favorites are the favorites because they would be a little cheaper? /s

PostPosted: 07/08/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Campbell is a VERY wise choice....that'd be a huge hit to the Ducks.

McGuff? Really!?

Love to see Alana or Lindsay there, but....the ol' alumna thing scares me.

PostPosted: 07/08/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Campbell is a VERY wise choice....that'd be a huge hit to the Ducks.

McGuff? Really!?

Love to see Alana or Lindsay there, but....the ol' alumna thing scares me.

As a longtime fan of Duke women's basketball, of course I love Alana and Lindsey. But IMHO, neither one is ready to take on the Head Coach job in a P5 conference.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/08/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Meier is the best alumna option on that list.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/08/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
My question was directed to Ripley, who said Duke would not hire Gail before Duke released that info.

Hey rAf! When I read that McC resigned, you were the first person I thought of. Very happy for you! Very Happy

As for my assertion that GG wouldn't be back, I was just connecting the dots, no inside information. When someone walks away from a top tier job, the chances that they will ever be welcomed back seemed to me to be really remote. And add to that the fact that she hasn't coached in college for 8 years, or as a HC in the WNBA during that time. She did a credible job at Texas (her last college gig) but she didn't set the world on fire. Plus she's now 57 years old, possibly 58 by the time any serious WCBB returns. It just didn't add up for me.

I really like and respect GG. Absolutely. But, when I weighed the pros and cons, I just couldn't see any way that Duke would look backwards, to her, instead of looking for a bright, probably younger coach.

Just my conclusion, which surprisingly, was confirmed shortly after I posted it.

I really hope your team gets someone worthy of your fandom!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/20 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Hey rAf! When I read that McC resigned, you were the first person I thought of. Very happy for you! Very Happy

As for my assertion that GG wouldn't be back, I was just connecting the dots, no inside information. When someone walks away from a top tier job, the chances that they will ever be welcomed back seemed to me to be really remote. And add to that the fact that she hasn't coached in college for 8 years, or as a HC in the WNBA during that time. She did a credible job at Texas (her last college gig) but she didn't set the world on fire. Plus she's now 57 years old, possibly 58 by the time any serious WCBB returns. It just didn't add up for me.

Thank you Ripley for the explanation. And, of course, thank you for thinking of me when McCrappy finally left. It does make sense that the people that left her stinking up the program would not even consider the one person certain to bring us back to relevance and fill the stadium. You would not believe the level of excitement we felt for a minute. It's not just Coach G, but the fact that we'd also have Alana, Lindsey and Joy back on the sidelines!!!! Season ticket sales would have gone through the roof - even if we couldn't actually attend.
I really like and respect GG. Absolutely. But, when I weighed the pros and cons, I just couldn't see any way that Duke would look backwards, to her, instead of looking for a bright, probably younger coach.

Just my conclusion, which surprisingly, was confirmed shortly after I posted it.

I really hope your team gets someone worthy of your fandom!

~rAf
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/09/20 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I was told at the time GG left Duke, by a 40+ year big time Duke basketball booster and former president of the Duke alum association, that GG's departure was not entirely voluntary on her part. That some powerful people behind the scenes were opposed to her, for reasons that sounded unlikely but not impossible to me.

Not even close to the truth.

And I trust my multiple sources on this, considering one of them was on the staff.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/09/20 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

And I trust my multiple sources on this, considering one of them was on the staff.

Fans of Duke MENS basketball don't know $hit about the WOMEN's program. If you want to watch the biggest bunch of uninformed garbage about Duke Women's basketball, read "dukebasketballreport." People like CamCrz, who are loyal fans of both the men's and women's basketball programs are rare. dukebasketball report has a zillion threads about men's basketball and one thread for men's basketball fans to shoot their wad about the women's program.

~rAf
greatgator

PostPosted: 07/10/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson?
https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/1281618811653890053

Jimmy Hyams
@JimmyHyams
Kara Lawson, former star for the Lady Vols and assistant coach for the Boston Celtics, has emerged as a leading candidate for the Duke women's basketball job.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could be worth a roll of the dice ... the resume is really good except for the lack of coaching experience.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict it will not be Lawson

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Fans of Duke MENS basketball don't know $hit about the WOMEN's program. If you want to watch the biggest bunch of uninformed garbage about Duke Women's basketball, read "dukebasketballreport." People like CamCrz, who are loyal fans of both the men's and women's basketball programs are rare. dukebasketball report has a zillion threads about men's basketball and one thread for men's basketball fans to shoot their wad about the women's program.

I brought up this old matter only because some folks are reasonably wondering why Duke would preemptively notify GG and the world that she is not in the coaching candidate mix.

I have no idea what the truth was in 2006-07, the time when GG got divorced and was entertaining other jobs, or who has better sources. My source is a person I've known for 30 years and who has been a huge Duke booster, active alum, and once the president of the alum association. He says that he personally is good friends with some very powerful, big donor alums who communicated privately with the the AD and other high Duke officials to oppose any significant attempt to retain GG as coach in 2007. These meetings would not have been known to the women's basketball staff or to many other alums. The opposition to retaining GG allegedly involved issues unrelated to the women's basketball team.

Assuming for the sake of argument that there was some booster opposition to GG 13 years ago and that those big donors are still on the scene, that could be a partial explanation as to why she has been summarily rejected as a candidate notwithstanding her outstanding basketball record and strong former player support.

Simply speculation, as many things about coach and player movements always are.
ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara?

How ironic would it be if Kara actually ended up coaching at DUKE!

For those who may not know (or have forgotten) the story, Kara and her father Bill Lawson (who was very involved in the WBB community) had a major falling out when Kara chose Tennessee over Duke.

Bill thought Kara and the late Pat Summitt did an end run around him in her deciding to go to UT instead of Duke or Stanford -- both excellent WCBB schools but, in his opinion, with significantly better academics than Tenn. He refused to attend Kara's high school games her senior year, as well as most of college.

Kara, Pat and Bill, as I understand it, did finally make peace, when Kara convinced her father that her goal has always been to coach, and she considered Pat to be the best teacher she could have.

So if Kara were to end up HC at Duke, yeah, I think that would be ironic. Unfortunately, Bill Lawson has passed away and wouldn't get to see it.

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Kara?

For those who may not know (or have forgotten) the story, Kara and her father Bill Lawson (who was very involved in the WBB community) had a major falling out when Kara chose Tennessee over Duke.

Bill thought Kara and the late Pat Summitt did an end run around him in her deciding to go to UT instead of Duke or Stanford -- both excellent WCBB schools but, in his opinion, with significantly better academics than Tenn. He refused to attend Kara's high school games her senior year, as well as most of college.

Kara, Pat and Bill, as I understand it, did finally make peace, when Kara convinced her father that her goal has always been to coach, and she considered Pat to be the best teacher she could have.

So if Kara were to end up HC at Duke, yeah, I think that would be ironic. Unfortunately, Bill Lawson has passed away and wouldn't get to see it.

LAWSON REWROTE FATHER'S GAME PLAN
https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2003-04-08-0304081418-story.html

Howee

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Unfortunately, Bill Lawson has passed away and wouldn't get to see it.

Orrrr....maybe he's *pulling some strings*.... Shocked Wink

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Kara?

Verrry interesting history, Ripley! Since she started at Tennessee in fall of 99, she made her decision before Duke upset Tennessee in spring of 99. She would have joined sophomore Georgia Schweitzer and been at Duke when Alana Beard arrived in 01, then Mo Currie and Lindsey Harding. Duke went to one Final Four during Kara's time at Tennessee, where she went to two FF's but no National Championships. That was Tennessee's NC drought between Holdsclaw/Catchings and Parker.

I'm quite sure Kara has mad respect for Coach G!

Edited after correction posted by GEF. Thanks GEF!

~rAf

Last edited by readyAIMfire53 on 07/10/20 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/10/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Kara?

Verrry interesting history, Ripley! Since she started at Tennessee in fall of 99, she made her decision before Duke upset Tennessee in spring of 99. She would have joined sophomore Georgia Schweitzer and been at Duke when Alana Beard arrived in 01, then Mo Currie and Lindsey Harding. Duke went to one Final Four during Kara's time at Tennessee, where she went to zero FF's. That was Tennessee's drought between Holdsclaw/Catchings and Parker.

At Tennessee Kara Lawson played in 3 Final Fours and 2 National Championship games.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/20 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I’m getting the vibe that it’s a done deal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/10/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaChina Robinson is tweeting it's a done deal also.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/10/20 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

That's what I read too. On boston.com

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/10/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

I've been wrong before and probably will be again

PostPosted: 07/10/20 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Kara?

Verrry interesting history, Ripley! Since she started at Tennessee in fall of 99, she made her decision before Duke upset Tennessee in spring of 99. She would have joined sophomore Georgia Schweitzer and been at Duke when Alana Beard arrived in 01, then Mo Currie and Lindsey Harding. Duke went to one Final Four during Kara's time at Tennessee, where she went to zero FF's. That was Tennessee's drought between Holdsclaw/Catchings and Parker.

At Tennessee Kara Lawson played in 3 Final Fours and 2 National Championship games.

Embarassed Thanks for the correction GEF! I edited my post and gave you credit for correcting me.

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/10/20 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Could be worth a roll of the dice ... the resume is really good except for the lack of coaching experience.

That's an awfully big except.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: