RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jen Harris files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/05 7:08 pm    ::: Jen Harris files Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpY3E1NTBnBF9TAzk1ODYyMzQ4BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-pennstate-biasclaim&prov=ap&type=lgns

PostPosted: 12/21/05 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
NCLR's Press Release (excerpts):

The complaint names Coach Portland, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and Penn State as defendants and alleges they violated numerous federal and state laws and constitutional protections prohibiting discrimination based on race, gender, and sexual orientation. In addition to seeking damages, Harris asks the court to order Penn State to conduct mandatory non-discrimination training for all athletic department employees, as well as create new policies to help student athletes report discrimination without fear of retaliation.

"My departure from Penn State was very painful," said Harris. "I struggled with whether I should just walk away and try to forget what happened. I finally realized that I could never put this incident behind me."

"As explained in more detail in Jennifer's complaint, Coach Portland's decades long practice of engaging in deliberate discrimination on the basis of actual and perceived sexual orientation, gender, and race has continued virtually unabated despite the harm to players and staff," said Harris' attorney, NCLR Regional Counsel Karen Doering. "We are hopeful this lawsuit will serve as a catalyst for a new era of inclusiveness and respect."

http://www.nclrights.org/releases/pr-harris_122105.htm

The complaint (71 pages): http://www.nclrights.org/cases/pdf/harris12212005federalcomplaint.pdf

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 12/22/05 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Quote:
NCLR's Press Release (excerpts):

The complaint names Coach Portland, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and Penn State as defendants and alleges they violated numerous federal and state laws and constitutional protections prohibiting discrimination based on race, gender, and sexual orientation. In addition to seeking damages, Harris asks the court to order Penn State to conduct mandatory non-discrimination training for all athletic department employees, as well as create new policies to help student athletes report discrimination without fear of retaliation.

"My departure from Penn State was very painful," said Harris. "I struggled with whether I should just walk away and try to forget what happened. I finally realized that I could never put this incident behind me."

"As explained in more detail in Jennifer's complaint, Coach Portland's decades long practice of engaging in deliberate discrimination on the basis of actual and perceived sexual orientation, gender, and race has continued virtually unabated despite the harm to players and staff," said Harris' attorney, NCLR Regional Counsel Karen Doering. "We are hopeful this lawsuit will serve as a catalyst for a new era of inclusiveness and respect."

http://www.nclrights.org/releases/pr-harris_122105.htm

The complaint (71 pages): http://www.nclrights.org/cases/pdf/harris12212005federalcomplaint.pdf

Okay, so help me out here.....NCLR (NATIONAL CENTER FOR LESBIAN RIGHTS). Harris, who is black, "said in the filing that Portland repeatedly asked her to change her appearance to look more "feminine". Known as 'no drinking, no drugs, no lesbians'--Ms. Portland has particularly targeted players who are African-American," Harris attornerys wrote in the lawsuit, according to a copy of the filing provided by one of her lawyers, Karen Doering, of the NCLR. Harris attorneys have said that while the player is not GAY, she was perceived to be gay by her coach. My help I need is that yes it is wrong for Ms. Portland for what she has put this young lady through but is this a Lesbian Rights case or is this about Racial Discrimination??????? Harris is stating she is not a LESBIAN, so why did she go to the NCLR for help? Somewhere, somehow, someone is going to have to stand up and state the truth. So does the NCLR take on all cases like this one even if the so called victim is not a LESBIAN????? Like I said I want Rene to pay for the wrong she has done and the truth to come out, I was hoping this was a big step forward for Lesbian rights but now I'm just not sure what this issue is about.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/22/05 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there are multiple causes of action -- about 25, in fact. some are based on racial discrimination. some are based on gender discrimination. some are based on orientation discrimination. and some are based on legal theories that have nothing to do with discrimination.

it's about a lot of things, in other words.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 12/22/05 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's customary to throw every allegation you can think of into a complaint like this- litigants are required by rule to state all possible claims you may have against the defendant in one lawsuit- you can't sue for one thing, litigate, then turn around and sue for something else- you hafta put all your eggs in one basket. Besides, you never know which claim will end up being the one that sticks.

I only skimmed the complaint, but it seems to me that every count is based on the same core of facts, which we here already are familiar with. I would say that most of the counts are throw-aways. I will be interested to see how the Title IX claim fares, as well as the ones for breach of contract and violation of school policy.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i agree that many/most of the counts are throw-aways.

for example, they make a substantive due process/privacy claim under both state and fed constitutions. it looks like something based on Lawrence. that really has no chance.

they also argue that Rene's public response to the claims constituted not only defamation but also First Amendment retaliation under Pickering. that too is a real stretch.

i'm no torts expert, but most of the various privacy torts claims look shady too.

the various gender discrimination counts still seem like the most likely to survive. the breach of contract thing is interesting -- NCLR claims that Jen's scholarship agreement incorporated PSU's antidiscrimination policy, and so by violating that policy, the school and Rene also breached the contract. it's very hard to know what to make of that without seeing the wording of the scholarship agreement, but that one might have some teeth.

don't know what to say about the racial discrimination. there is no allegation of overt animus or anything of the sort. mostly it's just: rene was more likely to enforce her anti-gay and anti-butch norms against black players. that will require some response, and it would probably at least survive 12(b)(6), but it still seems like a long shot.

all in all... i would guess that a whole bunch of the counts will probably be dismissed early on. but not all of them. i think NCLR has alleged enough facts to at least move forward.

a jury trial still seems terribly unlikely to me. but i'm not sure Rene will be able to avoid it just with 12(b)(6) and summary judgment motions.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 12/22/05 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, there will be a series of 12(b)(6) motions.

Brief primer here: The courts can grant relief only for certain specified things- there are a lot of them, but only those things, which we call "claims" and which are stated in the complaint as "counts". A 12(b)(6) motion is a motion by the defendant designed to dismiss counts because they fail to state a claim that the court can grant relief on. Such motions do not consider the substance of the accusations. Rather, they only look to see if the claim is one of those specified that the court can grant relief on. If so, it's in. If not, it's out.

So there will be 12(b)(6) motions until the Complaint is whittled down from the political document that it is now to a legal statement of the claims and the basis for those claims. This will take a while- don't expect this case to get resolved any time soon.

However, the motion for summary judgment is a different matter. Motions for summary judgment ask the court to decide whether whether there are any facts for the jury to decide. If so, the case goes to trial. If not, the court can rule on the case right then and there. (This grossly simplifies the matter, but we're not all lawyers.)

The thing is, federal courts are hostile to discrimination suits. Why is this so, you may ask, when the federal laws provide so much anti-discriminatory protection? Because lawmakers, who must be elected, write laws which people like. And because judges, who are appointed for life, are highly educated, upper middle class, politically conservative, mostly white, mostly male members of the mainstream who do not fully believe that discrimination happens any more. If the court can conceivably knock Harris's lawsuit out on summary judgment, it will happen.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

but one of the key points is: even on summary judgment, the court must view all of the facts in the light most favorable to the plaintiff. This appears to be a "she said-she said" case. So if it comes to summary judgment, and Jen submits an affidavit saying "Rene said x", and Rene submits an affidavit saying "No I didn't," the court must assume that Jen is telling the truth and Rene is lying.

bballjunkee212 wrote:
The thing is, federal courts are hostile to discrimination suits... If the court can conceivably knock Harris's lawsuit out on summary judgment, it will happen.

That generalization is so overbroad that it borders on meaninglessness. Do you have some statistics about how often cases are kicked on 56? Do you have some representative examples of cases that were kicked on SJ but should have gone to jury? Or are you just making a political statement that you wish courts were very receptive to discrimination suits?

At a minimum, the courts "receptiveness" to this sort of claim will vary greatly from circuit to circuit, judge to judge.

Here is what the Third Circuit said a couple years ago:

Quote:
Harassment on the basis of sexual orientation has no place in our society. See Simonton, 232 F.3d at 35 (harassment on the basis of sexual orientation "is morally reprehensible whenever and in whatever context it occurs, particularly in the modern workplace"); Higgins, 194 F.3d at 259 (harassment because of sexual orientation "is a noxious practice, deserving of censure and opprobrium").

that doesn't exactly sound like a court that will do whatever it can to get rid of this lawsuit...

kinkitola

PostPosted: 12/22/05 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in the article it says Portland is not being represented by PSU's attorneys, is that common practice?

PostPosted: 12/22/05 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<<
womens_hoops wrote:
but one of the key points is: even on summary judgment, the court must view all of the facts in the light most favorable to the plaintiff. This appears to be a "she said-she said" case. So if it comes to summary judgment, and Jen submits an affidavit saying "Rene said x", and Rene submits an affidavit saying "No I didn't," the court must assume that Jen is telling the truth and Rene is lying.

Not so. In the case of dueling affidavits regarding a factual matter that could decide the outcome of the case, the court would deny summary judgment and send the case to the jury.

bballjunkee212 wrote:
The thing is, federal courts are hostile to discrimination suits... If the court can conceivably knock Harris's lawsuit out on summary judgment, it will happen.

That generalization is so overbroad that it borders on meaninglessness. Do you have some statistics about how often cases are kicked on 56? Do you have some representative examples of cases that were kicked on SJ but should have gone to jury? Or are you just making a political statement that you wish courts were very receptive to discrimination suits?>>

I have about sixteen years of private practice as a plaintiff's attorney in these kinds of cases. A couple of years ago, a client was wonder how her case would do if the defendant moved for summary judgment and I did a quick analysis. I no longer recall the exact numbers, but somewhere in excess of 80% of employment discrimination cases were decided in favor of the employer on summary judgment (Legal standards for employment discrimination- Title VII- will govern many of Harris's claims.) From 1979 to the time I did the study, about 2002 or so, the Seventh Circuit reversed just three (out of hundreds) cases where an employer won on summary judgment.

So, based on my experience, I'll stick with my original assertion that the courts are hostile to discrimination claims.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very interesting commentary bballjunkee. Looks like you're the real expert on law here. Idea No doubt this board will need your experience as more info come to light in this case.

hooper1

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the least, this is going to be incredibly expensive for Portland and the university. They have to respond to all of these allegations.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having just taken a law class, and spent about 2 weeks on summary judgement, I am just going to give the thumbs up to what bballjunkee said regarding the summary judgement.

If Rene and Jen differ on the material (crucial) facts of their stories, we will be seeing a trial. Summary Judgements can be made when the two sides of the case are in agreement of the material facts, and further testimony would merely be a regeneration of the facts already agreed upon.

Again, to reiterate, bballjunkee is correct, and his numbers are pretty accurate. If this goes to Summary Judgement, expect it to be thrown out, or some sort of slap on the wrist. This is because of a lot of the reasons mentioned in terms of the demographics of judges, and also the general perception that the institution or employer is innocent without cold hard facts proving otherwise. I don't seen Rene agreeing to facts that would make her look guilty, thus Summary Judgement does not look like a good option in this case.

Harris's side will be looking to take this to trial and to crush Portland making a clear and defined statement that this is not to be tolerated.

Portland's side will act confused as to why this is even an issue and play eternally ignorant to the entire problem.

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Not so. In the case of dueling affidavits regarding a factual matter that could decide the outcome of the case, the court would deny summary judgment and send the case to the jury.

well, yeah, that's exactly what I mean. In the case of dueling affidavits, you have to view the facts in the light most favorable to the non-moving party, which means (essentially) accepting the non-moving party's affidavit as true for the purposes of the motion. Which means denying SJ and sending the case to the jury.

bballjunkee212 wrote:
I no longer recall the exact numbers, but somewhere in excess of 80% of employment discrimination cases were decided in favor of the employer on summary judgment.

well, not having seen the study, I can't really agree or disagree with it, but that doesn't seem plausible. Did you study just appeals (affirming or reversing grants) or district court cases? Did the relevant universe include all filed cases, including those that yielded settlements? Or do you just mean that when a defendant moves for SJ, it is granted 80% of the time?

Even so, statistics alone don't say much. It's sort of like saying "federal courts are hostile to criminal defendants because they affirm 95% of convictions." But the problem with that argument is: the vast majority of convictions should be affirmed under a fair application of the law.

bballjunkee212 wrote:
From 1979 to the time I did the study, about 2002 or so, the Seventh Circuit reversed just three (out of hundreds) cases where an employer won on summary judgment.

that doesn't seem right either. I just did a quick Lexis search and found three Seventh Circuit Title VII summary judgment reversals in the last 3 months. Dunn, 429 F.3d 689; Rudin, 420 F.3d 712; Washington, 420 F.3d 658.

EDIT -- supposing it was possible that you were still correct about the '79 to '02 study, I went and checked that. But found more than three reversals.

Quantock, 312 F.3d 899; Morales, 42 Fed. Appx. 890; O'Neal, 293 F.3d 998; Frazier, 263 F.3d 663; Dunn, 260 F.3d 778; Reed, 14 Fed. Appx. 679; Heinemeier, 246 F.3d 1078; Gordon, 246 F.3d 878; Lawson, 245 F.3d 916; Russell, 243 F.3d 336.

that's 10, and those were just in 2001 and 2002. i got tired after that.

Last edited by womens_hoops on 12/22/05 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is one of the better recent empirical analyses of the disposition of civil cases. It isn't limited to Title VII or other discrimination suits, but it is still instructive.

http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=usclwps

The number of cases that proceed to an actual jury (or bench) verdict is very small. But summary judgment and 12(b)(6) are only part of that -- and they make up far less than 80% of dispositions. It's closer to 20%.

The biggest factor is, of course, settlement.

Which isn't terribly surprising. Defendants and their lawyers are pretty good at figuring out whether the case against them has merit. If it does, they settle. If it doesn't, they may seek dismissal through Rule 12 or summary judgment.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/22/05 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Summary Judgements can be made when the two sides of the case are in agreement of the material facts, and further testimony would merely be a regeneration of the facts already agreed upon.

Agreement on the material facts isn't usually what leads to summary judgment in discrimination cases.

The Supreme Court has set forth a "burden-shifting" framework, and that shapes how discrimination claims are heard on summary judgment. The employee has the initial burden of showing a prima facie case of discrimination (not very hard, usually). Then the employer can show that it had a non-discriminatory reason for the action.

Then the burden is back to the employee. She must present evidence from which a jury could conclude that the stated reason is pretextual. She must present evidence sufficient that a jury could conclude, in other words, that the employer is lying, or that the discriminatory reason was a motivating/determinative factor.

To the extent that employees often lose on SJ, it's often because they are unable to satisfy that evidentiary burden.

To make the whole thing more concrete, here's how it might work in this case:

1. JH says: I was kicked off the team because I'm a non-feminine woman and because I'm black.

2. RP says: no, I kicked her off the team because she had an attitude problem, was a bad teammate, etc. .

3. to survive a summary judgment motion, JH has to produce some evidence that RP's stated reason is pretextual. She could argue, eg, that if she had really had an attitude problem, she wouldn't have played so much. She could present deposition testimony from people who say she wasn't a bad teammate, etc.

Again, it's seems to me unlikely to get to that stage -- as always, some sort of settlement is by far the most likely result.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/22/05 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Looks like you're the real expert on law here.

oh, fongster! where is the love?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/22/05 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/22/05 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's with Roberta Flack and Donnie Hathaway. Idea

If not, try asking DeLisha Milton's husband. Razz

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/22/05 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
If not, try asking DeLisha Milton's husband.

oh, that old saw?

Richard is actually joining my family for Christmas. DMJ has stated that she absolutely refuses to play in DC next year; Minnesota is one of her top three choices. Roger and SMS have appointed me as "ambassador" to entertain the Miltons-Jones over the holidays to convince them to come here. We are pulling out all of the stops.*

(*This paragraph may or may not be true.)

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/22/05 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
If not, try asking DeLisha Milton's husband.

oh, that old saw?

Richard is actually joining my family for Christmas. DMJ has stated that she absolutely refuses to play in DC next year; Minnesota is one of her top three choices. Roger and SMS have appointed me as "ambassador" to entertain the Miltons-Jones over the holidays to convince them to come here. We are pulling out all of the stops.*

(*This paragraph may or may not be true.)

How can that be? They are coming to my house for potato latkes and to be recruited for the Sun. Richard is actually Jewish so the Sun asked me to watch him. And I like the Black Eyed Peas Where is the Love better.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/22/05 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
How can that be? They are coming to my house for potato latkes and to be recruited for the Sun. Richard is actually Jewish so the Sun asked me to watch him. And I like the Black Eyed Peas Where is the Love better.

I hear Delisha is a world champion dreidel player.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/22/05 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

In Katie Feenstra's Hall of Fame.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/22/05 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Womens_hoops and BBall....generalizations about employment discrimination claims in the federal court system have some merit...depending on certain factors.

District of Arizona...likely to grant summary judgment motions on ED claims.
Ninth Circuit...likely to overturn those summary judgments.
And we all know what the Supreme Court thinks of the Ninth Circuit.

One other wrinkle to the burden-shifting analysis...Harris can also demonstrate the Price Waterhouse "mixed motives" situation. If Harris cannot fully demonstrate Portland's reason for dismissal was completely pretextual. she may be able to establish there were both legitimate and illegitimate reasons for her dismissal from the basketball team.

If the university is concerned about bad publicity, the case will settle. If not, the university will try to dismiss the case via Rule 56.

As for Rule 12(b)(6), this might come into play on the issue of sexual orientation. If the perceived discrimination is crouched in terms of gender roles and stereotypical notions thereof, then it will survive a motion to dismiss (again, similar to Price Waterhouse, which involved the notion of gender roles and conforming to stereotypical notions of that gender).

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/23/05 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, cam, I'm not saying that we can never make generalizations. I think I agree with beeball that the courts, in general, are too willing to kick out discrimination (and lots of other kinds of) cases on SJ. (The reason, I think, has more to do with docket bulge and workload, but that's another story.) I just think that a generalization like "federal courts are hostile to discrimination suits" is coarse and misleading.

Most of my experience is with the Ninth, and it is anything but hostile to discrimination suits. The paradigmatic example -- and most relevant example for this case -- is Rene, where the Ninth went way out of its way to stretch Title VII to a place that Congress obviously never intended it to reach.

Of course, the Fourth Circuit is a lot different from the Ninth; Luttig is a lot different from Reinhardt. The Seventh and the Third are somewhere in the middle. But in Bibby, at least, the Third signaled some receptiveness to innovation along the lines of Rene.

More generally... I just grow tired of some of the generalization arguments. They are nothing more than masks for political strife.

Liberals say that the courts are too conservative because they are made up of mostly rich white men. Conservatives say that the courts are too liberal because the judges are all part of elitist cosmopolitan academic culture.

Criminal defense attorneys like me say that the courts are too biased toward the state and don't care at all about the rights of criminal defendants. Prosecutors say that the courts are too biased toward defendants and too willing to let guilty people free on technicalities.

Plaintiffs' lawyers like beeballjunkie say that the courts are to willing to dismiss civil lawsuits. Corporate lawyers and tort reformers say that the courts have expanded antidiscrimination and other laws far beyond their intent, and have created a flood of frivolous litigation as a result.

I just get tired of those kinds of arguments. There's no way to get traction in any of it.

I don't think we get anywhere without talking in more concrete terms -- without engaging specific arguments and identifying specific errors.

And let's be honest -- much as I don't like Rene, Jen Harris's legal claims are pretty borderline. If her case gets dismissed on summary judgment, it won't necessarily be because the courts are biased. It might just be because she isn't entitled to relief under the law.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: