RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Krystal and Saagar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/05/20 11:46 pm    ::: Krystal and Saagar Reply Reply with quote

So I haven't known about these people for very long and I'm really taken with their show.

And I've never watched a Joe Rogan podcast before, even though I have a friend who is a semi-regular reoccurring guest/character on his show. I don't, or didn't, think that Joe Rogan was really my cup of tea. But the 100 million deal he got from Spotify really got my attention so it's good to also see what all that money was about.

So anyway, hmm.

So here is Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti on the Joe Rogan podcast show. Three hours. I've only watched a small portion of that.

I'm asking people here to just watch the first 20 minutes. Actually the first 19:28 seconds. They perfectly sum up what I believe is going on right now in political discourse, and with the public as it is represented politically in the media, etc.

I think this is the shit. I don't know what else to say. I think it's about as relevant for this group at this moment in our history here on Rebkell's and with all the challenges politically we are navigating as folks who have been posting together for decades now living in historic times. I think these people understand these times incredibly well and are articulating the pressures and the constraints on the conversations that are being had around politics in America these days. They're nailing it IMO. I think their take on the political media reminds me of Joan Didion's take 30 years ago as articulated in Insider Baseball.

The first 20 minutes is all I'm asking. Please.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eA9Tpf5Uuxs?start=1173" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 06/06/20 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Want to transcribe something.

Krystal (18:11): But there's also been a strategy from the political and media elites in this country where if you pit people against each other... and this is something Matt Taibbi ... wrote this great book, Hate Inc., and his thesis is essentially that once the cold war ended and we didn't have Russia to be the bad guy, THE NEW RATINGS INNOVATION was to make each other the bad guys. But it (also) saves any sort of accountability to the people that are in power.

Because if people who are out there in the country, the VOTERS, are the problem, if THEY'RE bad, if they are evil, if they're deplorable, then it's not the fault of the people in power that things are going wrong, it's not their fault that these terrible evil sexist racist horrible people voted the wrong way. It was those people's fault. So it saves them from ever having to do any self reflection and make any adjustments in what they're doing and I think that's a big part of why we are where we are.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: