RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/20 6:59 pm    ::: RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg Reply Reply with quote

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/100306972/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-dies-at-87

Quote:
"Our nation has lost a justice of historic stature," Chief Justice John Roberts said. "We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her, a tired and resolute champion of justice."

PostPosted: 09/18/20 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The is the second worst thing that could have happened in the US this year. I really don't know if we can survive #1 on that list in November.

Rip RBG. You were a true warrior. Thank you for fighting for us. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/18/20 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/18/20 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two words: Merrick Garland

Nominated eight months before the election of 2016 and the douchebag McConnell and his cohorts said the replacement must wait until after the election. Well, if you say so, let's wait.

RIP RBG.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden might have a tough time defending that position, given that as senator he voted for Anthony Kennedy in the last year of Reagan's second term.

PostPosted: 09/18/20 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
The is the second worst thing that could have happened in the US this year. I really don't know if we can survive #1 on that list in November.

Rip RBG. You were a true warrior. Thank you for fighting for us. Crying or Very sad

My sentiments exactly.

PostPosted: 09/19/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RBG with Sheryl Swoopes

PostPosted: 09/22/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/23/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if the pick for SCOTUS just ends up being someone who interprets the Constitution as written and doesn't show bias one way or another?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/23/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
What if the pick for SCOTUS just ends up being someone who interprets the Constitution as written and doesn't show bias one way or another?

There ain't no such animal.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n9It042HJv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oqJtJU7PoqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/26/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy Barrett is the choice. Just glancing at her background, she appears qualified.

PostPosted: 09/26/20 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She calls herself a "handmaid"..

https://shero.substack.com/p/when-trump-nominates-a-handmaiden?fbclid=IwAR0YATFdvsA5TwLKm-bWumlm6ms0OIkXgPcHEAwGfJWBE1_hDas4JaCTnUI

PostPosted: 09/27/20 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a proposal that Supreme Court Justices be limited to 18 years. I think that is better than the current "as long as you want the job", but even better would be a mandatory retirement age. I worked at a company where workers had no mandatory retirement but you could not hold a management position past the age of 65. 65 is typically considered retirement age so I would go with that for the oldest you can be on the Supreme Court. I hear that such and such a lawyer "clerked for" so and so Supreme Court Justice and it makes me wonder how much work the clerks do versus the justice and would they retire much earlier if they had to do all the work themselves.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/27/20 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
She calls herself a "handmaid"..

https://shero.substack.com/p/when-trump-nominates-a-handmaiden?fbclid=IwAR0YATFdvsA5TwLKm-bWumlm6ms0OIkXgPcHEAwGfJWBE1_hDas4JaCTnUI

I saw a clip where Senator Dick Durbin asked her if she was an "orthodox Catholic". I guess this is what he was getting at:

Quote:
The group grew out of the Catholic charismatic renewal movement that began in the late 1960s and adopted Pentecostal practices such as speaking in tongues, belief in prophecy and divine healing. Barrett and her husband were confirmed to be members of the organization during a Senate confirmation hearing after Trump nominated her to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in 2017.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy Coney Barrett supported group that said life begins at fertilization

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/01/amy-coney-barrett-supported-group-fertilization

Quote:
she was one of hundreds of people who signed a full-page newspaper advertisement sponsored by St Joseph County Right to Life, an extreme anti-choice group located in the city of South Bend

PostPosted: 10/01/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Amy Coney Barrett supported group that said life begins at fertilization

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/01/amy-coney-barrett-supported-group-fertilization

Quote:
she was one of hundreds of people who signed a full-page newspaper advertisement sponsored by St Joseph County Right to Life, an extreme anti-choice group located in the city of South Bend

Of course she did. That's why she was nominated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: