RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amy Cooper, VP of Investment Solutions, Franklin Templeton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/26/20 10:16 am    ::: Amy Cooper, VP of Investment Solutions, Franklin Templeton Reply Reply with quote

Viral video shows woman calling cops on black man in Central Park

Quote:
The sister of the man who filmed the confrontation, Melody Cooper, explained that he had asked the woman to put her dog on its leash. When she refused to, he began filming.

He asks her not to come any closer, and the exchange escalates. She then threatens to call the police and tell them a black man is threatening her life. The woman repeatedly identifies the man by his race in her 911 call in which she demands they "send the cops immediately."

"There's an African-American, he's recording me and threatening me and my dog," she claims. The video doesn't show the man threatening the woman.

Quote:
In an interview with NBC New York, the woman apologized for her behavior. "I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family," the woman, identified as Amy Cooper, told the station. She also addresses the problematic aspects of her being a white woman calling the police on a black man.

"When I think about the police, I'm such a blessed person. I've come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don't have that luxury," she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/viral-video-shows-woman-calling-cops-on-black-man-in-central-park/ar-BB1

<embed><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1rrP9Hzlc6U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rrP9Hzlc6U

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw this story after seeing the George Floyd incident in Minneapolis.The two combined produced a level of rage i have not felt in a long time.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. This just highlights how stupid people get when their lizard brain takes over and how easily implicit racism could spiral into a tragic circumstance.

When I first read the story, my initial inclination was to be somewhat sympathetic to the woman since it was different from what typically happens in these situations: It wasn't in a populated area, rather it was a lone woman walking in the park, and it wasn't the white person who initiated the run-in by attempting to enforce some minor infraction, but vice-versa. And that seemed significant. I mean a lone woman responding to any unknown male approaching her in a secluded area with a degree of fear is not necessarily unwarranted. And what if, as is all too common for women, she were a sexual assault survivor?

And perhaps all of this is still true. But fear was not enough to excuse the actions she took in the video. It was not fear arising from the initial interaction that had her calling the police. Rather it appears that whatever emotional reaction she had initially caused her to escalate the situation until the point where she was in near hysteria. Her issue became him filming the interaction, and she was the one who kept approaching him while he attempted to keep distance between them. And when he wouldn't comply with her demands, it became "I'm going to call the police and tell them an African American man is threatening my life". That is a verbal equivalent of pulling a loaded gun and there was nothing that would have warranted that sort of response. And then you can watch as she sells herself on the idea. What at first was being brandished as a way to get someone to do what she wanted (to stop filming her), as she spoke to the police you can see the hysteria take hold where she begins to actually believe that her life is in danger. There is simply no excuse for this. The consequences can be way to dire.

When I teach creative writing, one big lesson segment of mine is titled Men Writing Women, and the lecture begins, "One of the stupidest things a person can say is, 'I'm not racist' or, 'I'm not sexist'. Because, of course you are." The idea being that because we don't don hoods and burn crosses, we don't go around dropping the n-word, we have black friends, and hell we may even vote Democrat!, we've therefore managed to extirpate ourselves of racism is foolish. No, being human means being prone to making racist assumptions or falling victim to ingrained biases. And unless we actively address them within ourselves on a daily basis, to confront the implicit with explicit mindfulness and rational consideration, when our lizard brain takes over in some emotionally charged situation we will be racist. Hood or no hood.

From her response, I'd be willing to bet she's a good New York Liberal, who knows all of the right things on a intellectual level, but has never stopped to really explore what they all mean until now. Hopefully she takes the opportunity to do that now, as we thank god that nothing irrevocably tragic occurred here. I suppose it would be too much to hope that as other white people see this story they also take stock in their implicit biases and try to come to grips with them so that if they are ever in a lizard brain situation, they have the skills and knowledge to not act on them.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don’t forget how she’s strangling the dog.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/FTI_US/status/1265348185201008641

Quote:
Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately. We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so many white people, so many assholes.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there’s a little more to the story that happens before the video starts that may help explain the crazy way she was acting, but it certainly doesn’t excuse it.

Apparently he was luring the dog with food for whatever reason and she didn’t like that. No doubt she didn’t like the request for the dog to be leashed. But she went way over the edge, exaggerated to the police in order to get them to act quickly, and now she lost her nice job because she looked racist. Whether she’s actually racist or not is hard to say from this one video. But it seemed like she was holding it over his head that he was African-American and you know how the police are known to treat African-Americans. That’ll teach ya to mess with me.

A cooler head needed to prevail but didn’t. I’m not sure why’d she be ID’d as liberal, other than maybe she’s taking extra precautions by wearing a N95 mask outdoors. Seems like she has a conniving MAGA mentality to me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 05/26/20 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Don’t forget how she’s strangling the dog.

I do believe the rescue group from which she adopted the dog has reclaimed the poor thing. As someone who has worked extensively with training dogs, I'd say SHE was the one who started the entire *problem* by allowing her poorly trained dog to run loose in a park, especially in a secluded part reserved for bird-watching.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 5:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticwiz wrote:
I saw this story after seeing the George Floyd incident in Minneapolis.The two combined produced a level of rage i have not felt in a long time.

me, too. except i feel this level of rage all too often.

and yeah, genero, i was incensed over her handling of the dog, too.

the entitled can do anything. the rest of us can only hope to do normal things. and poor people and people of color - we can't even presume to do normal things.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would agree with what was said a long time ago, the rich are not like us. I think generations of the rich replicating themselves and then being in control of so much of our world, information, power, etc. is destroying societies around the world. I think the periphery of that in terms of people who aren't say at the very top tier financially but are the children of professionals and are at that level in their lives themselves and are pulling off a good life in one of the major very expensive cities in the US are also, to varying degrees and also depending on who we are in judging them, "not like us."

And this causes major problems for societies like ours which is why it must be addressed and attempts made at mitigating inequality in education and prospects, etc.

But I really bristle at the notion that people aren't equally good/rotten across all races. And I really and truly think that that kind of thinking, promoting it, signing off on it, is also really causing major problems for societies like ours.

And I'm sad that people have gone down this rabbit hole of believing and openly saying otherwise.

And I've never seen anything lay bare the truth about all of us in such short order as the pandemic has.

I'm glad this woman was fired from her very high-paying and privileged position and that would be, for me, simply because she violated the leash law. Fucking people like that in the city with their dogs already. They can all go to hell. But I'm glad she was removed from her job also simply because I don't like her. And I can not like her, judge her like that, because I'm one part bad and three parts good myself. I try to be good but there's a time and place for the one part bad. I don't like dog owners in the city. It's a big animal. And it causes problems. And people being assholes, or, I should say, a significant enough percentage of people who own dogs being assholes, has made my life unduly miserable way too many days.

Her behavior? You know, I don't know if some people look at things the way people from the rust belt foothills of Appalachia look at behavior. How someone like that reads to us just as a human being moving and opening her mouth to speak and her display of emotion versus the myriad alternatives available to her and anyone in her position at that moment? But then most people aren't going to like this woman after watching this video. She's guilty of everything she's being accused of. Racism. Attempting to leverage her racial privilege against a black man by way of bringing the police into it. She's a ridiculous caricature of everything she is and is wrong with her type.

But the truth? That guy is an infamous local asshole. He's been harassing dog people in the ramble for a dozen years or so. He carries dog treats with him, in order to lure THEIR dogs away from them and has been doing that for years.

Now if the city would inforce these minor ordinances like leash laws or picking up dog shit instead of leaving it on the sidewalks then a guy like this wouldn't have had a decade or so of living down his own personal rabbit hole to where he years ago started purchasing dog treats in order to lure dogs away from their owners. I'm throwing the dog shit in there only because that's my personal beef.

But just get out of here with this idea that some groups aren't every bit as rotten as others. The one genetic attribute we all share is having to exist somewhere along this spectrum of sociopath > less so > evil > less so, etc. If you believe that differs according to race then you're a racist. I don't know when we stopped knowing this about ourselves and being ashamed of it.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But the truth? That guy is an infamous local asshole. He's been harassing dog people in the ramble for a dozen years or so. He carries dog treats with him, in order to lure THEIR dogs away from them and has been doing that for years.

Hmm. Haven't seen any source on that but, okay....I'll trust ya on his 'history'.

What is wrong about THAT? If the Ramble is an area dedicated to bird watching (i.e., a bit of a nature sanctuary), and his dog treats help him to control loose dogs that wreak havoc on that micro-environment, he's being proactive in a way that harms no one, right? I don't know what other assholiness he may have wrought, but I don't get his wrongdoing in this matter.

One of my favorite lenses to review these incidents (Ahmaud, George, Amy) is this: How many times do we see/hear about similar incidents where the only difference is that the races are reversed?

PostPosted: 05/27/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="660" height="371" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NZf_lWZUt-Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf_lWZUt-Q

PostPosted: 05/27/20 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. Haven't seen any source on that but, okay....I'll trust ya on his 'history'.

What is wrong about THAT?

What is wrong about buying dog treats to lure people’s precious pets away from them in a big city like New York? Or anywhere? But especially in someplace like Central Park? Which would necessarily force a dog owner to also come to you.

To engage with you. To talk to you. Even something that forces a person to pay one on one attention to you is a pretty bad idea. In cities, we learn we have a right to not engage with strangers if we don’t want to. Are culturally conditioned to not even make eye contact if we don’t want to create a connection with a total stranger on the street.

So there’s plenty wrong with a stranger luring your dog to them in a remote part of Central Park, and luring you as well to have to deal with him, with treats he has purchased and carries with him for that purpose. Plenty wrong with a person who thinks about that, ether does or doesn’t properly consider what that says about someone who would do something like that, and then goes ahead and does it.

But there’s other factors. People live on top of each other in that city. Dealing with other people’s bullshit becomes a person’s life. A person can develop a ton of ill will against pet owners in a big city. Don’t even get me started because I have my share. I’m anti-pets. And I love dogs. First thing I do if I go back home and buy a house with an acre or two of land is get a dog. Hopefully with a crappy hillside somewhere where I can teach the dog that upon that barren patch of my property lies his sanctified rights.

That all said. In this case he drew out a person we would all like to see drawn into the public spotlight for the racist she is and the racist way she would react to an incident like this and her racist expectations for a certain response from law enforcement. Her hysterics on the phone with the dispatcher, who can’t see the situation and can only hear the panic and fear in her voice? That was a dangerously racist move on her part. I’m glad she’s been fired and I’m seriously anti-firing people.

For me though, you had me at her having a dog unleashed in NYC.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

But I really bristle at the notion that people aren't equally good/rotten across all races. And I really and truly think that that kind of thinking, promoting it, signing off on it, is also really causing major problems for societies like ours.

And I'm sad that people have gone down this rabbit hole of believing and openly saying otherwise.

. . . . But just get out of here with this idea that some groups aren't every bit as rotten as others. The one genetic attribute we all share is having to exist somewhere along this spectrum of sociopath > less so > evil > less so, etc. If you believe that differs according to race then you're a racist.

So obviously true, but so seemingly unrealized by so many. Another sad thing about going down this rabbit hole is that social and political discourse among so many has degenerated to nothing more than hurling curse words and accusations of "___ ist" at anyone who has a different point of view or opinion. It's childish. Self-indulgent, intolerant, tunnel-visioned, spoiled brat childish.
Howee

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So there’s plenty wrong with a stranger luring your dog to them in a remote part of Central Park, and luring you as well to have to deal with him, with treats he has purchased and carries with him for that purpose. Plenty wrong with a person who thinks about that, ether does or doesn’t properly consider what that says about someone who would do something like that, and then goes ahead and does it.

Just, nooo. That is a common practice among people who utilize public places where dogs are allowed. It isn't about *luring* a stranger's dog to you for nefarious purposes; it's about -- in this case in particular -- the guy having treats on hand, much like a mailman or FedEx driver does, to coax dogs that might otherwise stir trouble.

The Ramble: secluded sanctuary for birders. Roaming dogs create problems. Person has treats to coax dog toward them, so they can be leashed and returned to owner or, possibly, animal control. There is no malice in that act, imo.

PostPosted: 05/28/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

. . . . But just get out of here with this idea that some groups aren't every bit as rotten as others. The one genetic attribute we all share is having to exist somewhere along this spectrum of sociopath > less so > evil > less so, etc. If you believe that differs according to race then you're a racist.

So obviously true, but so seemingly unrealized by so many. Another sad thing about going down this rabbit hole is that social and political discourse among so many has degenerated to nothing more than hurling curse words and accusations of "___ ist" at anyone who has a different point of view or opinion. It's childish. Self-indulgent, intolerant, tunnel-visioned, spoiled brat childish.

Serious question- Is the above a form of "white male 'splaining"? I ask because I haven't read about much of the cited "racism" above.

What I have seen is plenty of "outrage" at, for example, a Colin Kaepernick for "taking a knee" to protest the inexcusable killing of black males by cops, but crickets from that same crowd when a cop takes a knee to inexcusably kill a black male.

I don't see the expressed subject as an issue plaguing our society the way the inequality of law enforcement action, based on race, is indeed one. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: 05/28/20 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I could be wrong.

You could. And often are, especially in regards to Oregon wbb. Razz

HOWEVER. You aren't here, I'd say.

cthskzfn wrote:
What I have seen is plenty of "outrage" at, for example, a Colin Kapernick for "taking a knee" to protest the inexcusable killing of black males by cops, but crickets from that same crowd when a cop takes a knee to inexcusably kill a black male.

Where is our erstwhile Leader -- who was so quick to condemn Kaepernick and his disgraceful displays -- in condemning this outrage? The same Leader who DEMANDS churches re-open, risks be damned, while HE doesn't even bother to go himself. Or the same Leader who's too narcissistic to wear a mask, while the only reason HE hasn't gotten it is cuz everyone else IS wearing one.

And people still defend him. He should have been all over these incidents like a fly on shit, to call out the blatant racism they represent. But it probably all looks acceptably normal to him. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/28/20 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I could be wrong.

Laughing

What was the score of Oregon's NCAA Championship game again?

Oh that's right- their next final will be their first. Wink

PostPosted: 05/28/20 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I could be wrong.

Laughing

Keep your divisiveness political people.

PostPosted: 05/28/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I could be wrong.

Laughing

Keep your divisiveness political people.

Okay. "Hey, ct....if your Republican president hadn't let this Covid thing get out of hand, we'd know that answer. And at least the Liberal Left Coast Ducks kicked the snot outta the Republican Right Wing Huskies this season. Nyah, nyah, NYAH." Razz Laughing

Moment of levity is done. Back to your normal programming.

PostPosted: 05/28/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If only Amy Cooper had said, "A bird watcher is threatening my life" this whole controversy could have been avoided, and the 911 operator could have had a good laugh.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/28/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
If only Amy Cooper had said, "A bird watcher is threatening my life" this whole controversy could have been avoided, and the 911 operator could have had a good laugh.

Plus the fact she was trying to sound hysterical. She wanted the 911 call used in her favor. There's the wonder of "what if there wasn't a video"?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/29/20 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 'I'm not a racist' defense

Quote:
Multiple times during the conversation, he returned to the same theme -- that regardless of whatever I heard, he wasn't the horrible person I might assume him to be.

It remains one of the more remarkable conversations I've ever had: ten minutes of listening to a guy apologize for doing something racist, despite an almost comical inability to bring himself to even say the word "racist."

Quote:
No. Regardless of her intent, her actions could have carried profound, racist consequences. And she had to -- or at least ought to -- have known that. In this case, and in so many others, words and actions matter. Both can be racist. Both often are.

Quote:
Comedian Chris Rock summed the issue up perfectly when he asked, "what do you got to do, shoot Medgar Evers to be a racist?"

White people could start with acknowledging in their apologies that even good people are capable of doing racist things. A real expression of contrition should include: "I'm ashamed that I was capable of doing something so racist." Or, "How I was raised decades ago is irrelevant; I did something racist today, and am sorry." Or perhaps, "I don't think I harbor actual animus, but regardless of whether I do, I have work to do."

If you are a white person who is ever in a position to apologize for something racist, try that approach next time. You'll be a lot more credible to those tasked with forgiving you.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/opinions/amy-cooper-apology-opinion-williams/index.html

PostPosted: 05/29/20 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4MoEW6oxRV0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/4MoEW6oxRV0

PostPosted: 05/30/20 6:57 pm    ::: Re: Amy Cooper, VP of Investment Solutions, Franklin Templet Reply Reply with quote

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: