RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tari Phillips signs!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't mean it like that Mel...I meant a free agent, not via trade. I don't want to part w/ the baby either. If I can't root for Tari, D-Train & the baby are my faves.

BCBG25 wrote:
Keira, to get someone who can rebound and contribute on the offensive end (we just lost a double-digit scorer on a bad day), we'd have to give up the Baby. That's the price I'm not willing to pay.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:12 pm    ::: Re: To BCBG, Herrade, Keira, Dex, and Lib Crew Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Cam!! I'll surely take you up on it!! Maybe I can find a cheap ticket to PHO and head on over!! I'll be glad to drink (if only to drown my sorrows) and be a member of the Brigade (even an honorary one).

Would you become a member of the F_Blaze_ Coalition?? That's our return package...and a few drinks of course. Gotta come to NY and we'll treat ya!

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
To BCBG, Herrade, Keira, Dex, and the rest of the Lib Crew:

The Mercury Brigade is currently taking applications for new members.

Members must commit to drinking with the players and Coach Graf after the game at Majerle's. Members must also commit to hearing inside information on other teams.

New members receive one night of free drinks and food, pictures taken with Mercury players and that night's opposing team, and complimentary attempts to hit on you by MB.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you become a member of the F_Blaze_ Coalition??

Of course! What does membership entail? Do I have to change my screen name to reflect coalition membership?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No you just have to assume that a team that went to the Conference championship and hasn't gotten rid of one person who played a role in the playoffs, is gonna absolutely suck because of Blaze.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Blaze use the name "Chasing Dogma" on the ESPN board?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/16/05 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dts, we are not assuming the loss of Tari is going to be the reason the team sucks. We are assuming that Blaze will once again completely bungle the draft, that she will have less impact on free agency than the Miami Sol, that if she makes a trade it will be a bad one, and that she will continue to believe that a shooter is a point guard. We are assuming that she will micromanage the team into oblivion while chasing away fans like we carry some sort of contagious virus (which we do; it's called fanaticism).

We are also assuming that Ann's going to take her sweet time showing up, that Becky will continue to make boneheaded mistakes, that the post play will be soft (to say the least), and that at least three players are going to end up injured because of inept care.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Does Blaze use the name "Chasing Dogma" on the ESPN board?

It's not Blaze.
herrade

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Of course! What does membership entail?

pain. suffering. misery.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Herrade's additional membership requirements include a trip in Phoenix in 2005, a little "exposure" with Cam (inside joke/reference), and the ability to referee a mud-wrestling match with Whalen and Becky.

i'll start practicing the reffing so that i'm nice and smooth by the time the summer roles around. the rest will come naturally Wink

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
No you just have to assume that a team that went to the Conference championship and hasn't gotten rid of one person who played a role in the playoffs, is gonna absolutely suck because of Blaze.

Well considering I am the founding member and I don't feel that way in the least, I don't think that's part of the membership criteria. See my post over at ESPN. I think this move is best for everyone. Lib fans may not want to hear it, but our 3 captains aren't losing sleep over the loss of Tari, neither are our coach and gm or anyone else on the roster. Tari gets to go somewhere and be happy which she was no longer able to do in NY. I'd rather that than a replay of last season or the one before it.

Membership into the FBC simply consists of the willingness to strongly dislike Blaze in some form. It must be natural. Tamika Whitmore has agreed to waive the membership fee for all incoming members in celebration of her recent stick up of Penny Toler. Community service includes buying our senior members drinks, watching their kids from time to time, and listening to their significant others who are now scattered across the country, complain. Trust, it was much easier when they all sat in the same section. You must also be a willing participant in the sharing information that may impact the coalition directly or indirectly in an implicit or explicit manner on the boards. You must also be able to name the various sects of the coalition and know the difference. Some days I'm an 11, some days I'm a 23, others I'm a 24. Let me break it down.

If you're a:

#24 or a #44 - If you are a part of this crew, you simply hate Blaze.

#11 - you're slick. You disagree with some, most or all of her personnel decisions and don't really care for her as the gm, but you respect her connections and know not to burn bridges. You may have become indifferent in regards to the person with an option to forgive or you may actually understand the difficulty in her decision making. You appreciate her business sense and get along fine as long as it doesn't relate to basketball.

#23 - you're the kindest and most realistic of them all. You voluntarily left her reins. You don't take things personal, and you like being on the outside looking in. Like a #11 member, you've known and befriended Blaze for a long time, (or if you're a fan you remember her basketball prowess) so you are incapable of outright hate. If you're a fan and a member of this crew, you just think she's incompetent, but oh well, it's still my team.

#34 - you're hot and cold. You're simply a member because all your friends are doing it and you thought it was cool but you really don't have a problem with Blaze because she was still sane during your time. You're just a member because it's fashionable and chic. This option is mostly for fans who aren't die-hard Liberty fans.

#25 - you're an enabler. You let Blaze do what she does by supporting her efforts but you seem to be uncomfortable doing so.

Welcome.
Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not goin for the not today bullshit. I'm just not.

My favorite player might be traded from the Comets because of a scandal. Yet I didn't whine complain and stress, I merely thought of the best for my team and for Sheryl. Tina is pregnant which left this team in the state of almost definite doom and gloom. Did I get pissed and whine? No, I thought about the rebuilding of the club. So on those days, those tragic days in my history of being a WNBA fan, I took the high road and expect others to as well. I got a messed up GM too. You wanna trade Blaze for Van, bring it on.

I sympathize with Lib fans on a club that is seemingly falling. If ANYONE feels it, it's Comets fans. I know you're not singling anyone out and stuff, but can't you try and at least have optimism for Tari's situation. If she thought she was gonna be shat on and not respected, do you really think she would have signed with Houston?

I'm not calling anyone out, but geeez, don't paint the Comet situation as a bad one for players to come into. It's no good for anyone, and I am embarassed by it as a Comet fan.

I promise to, as a Comet fan, keep Tari in perspective. I'm not gonna compare her to Tina, cus the comparison is unnecessary. I'm gonna be every bit as thankful to have her on our squad and to see her play with determination and grit as you all did when she was with the Libs. I can't do anything about those "whiny" fans, but I will promise you that in this Comet fan's heart, Tari will be given a chance to prove herself again, and be respected as she should be.

Also, I will try to be more sympathetic to the feelings of Lib fans with regards to the less than gracious Comets fans that have tainted the name of "Comet fan" over the years, whoever they are.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp,
It's wrong to paint ALL Comets fans as whiney, I know, it was just the general impression. Same as us Lib fans gained over the years for being cranky and fiery. It's all good. I see the Comets faring better this year with the addition of Tari and the return of Janeth, even if they won't have #7 for a good chunk of the season. I don't buy the Swoopes thing and will believe it when I see it. This is the perfect example of easier said than done. Van might have balls when it comes to opressing defenseless guards, but Swoopes won't let him off the hook easily.
Hang in there, but today REALLY isn't a good day Sad

PostPosted: 02/16/05 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, a really good day will be when the Comets see the Libs in the finals again. Classic. Absolutely classic. We won't talk about who wins...

PostPosted: 02/16/05 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Well, a really good day will be when the Comets see the Libs in the finals again. Classic. Absolutely classic. We won't talk about who wins...

That would be so much fun
I'd have to root for New York

herrade

PostPosted: 02/16/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
You must also be able to name the various sects of the coalition and know the difference. Some days I'm an 11, some days I'm a 23, others I'm a 24. Let me break it down.

classic!

sometimes i'm an 11, but most days i'm a strict 24, because i sure as hell am not a 44. i'm sorry, dex. i know you're going to tell me to get over it, but i'm not there yet.

nobody's asked me to babysit their kids, but i would certainly buy some folks a nice blood-orange martini or two (or six) at north square... since i'm there most nights i can walk anyway. i know its a bougie drink, but it's too damn good to resist.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I don't know about Comets fans being "whiners"...I just know that we got very, very spoiled during the Dynasty Days.

truer words were never spoken. now, when you guys have a legitimate reason to whine, nobody wants to listen . . .

i'm happy for tari (could've been worse), and i predict she'll have one of her best seasons. to spite blaze, of course.

i canNOT imagine who/what we'll have in the post for new york. it's frightening. but the good thing for me is that i don't have to worry about season tix. i'm sure i'll be able to walk in on game night and get the same seats i've had before.

is there a test to join the brigade? do you have to actually show up in phoenix?

bcbg, my condolences. i know you're not happy about this turn of events. but blaze'll give you good reason to worry about other things very soon, i'm sure. (btw, a new restaurant has opened up in my BUILDING, for crying out loud, and i'm in BIG trouble: they serve caipirinhas.)

what i'm thinking about today, most of all, is how i fully expect commissioner donna orender to get on the horn, ask those idiots at nba tv why the freak they keep airing those 20-year-old games and demand that they bulk up the summer programming with wall-to-wall wnba.

that is all.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
i'm sorry, dex. i know you're going to tell me to get over it, but i'm not there yet.

Yes, I am. But it's ok, I understand, as the 44 is an acquired taste. I no longer defend that part of the FBC as sometimes I myself prefer not to associate with its leader. Speaking of tastes, martini? The founder of the FBC doesn't drink martinis. He likes bottles of Hennessy but most of the senior members seem to be fruity drink drinkers, so you guys can have fun with that. Today I am a #23.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/16/05 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fruity drinks, caipirinhas, hmm, I could have fun in that department too. But I'm still a Bailey's drinker and I'm mostly a #24, it's always yes or no.

PostPosted: 02/17/05 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Of course! What does membership entail?

pain. suffering. misery.

Sounds like an S&M Club! Shocked

For me, any tropical drink that's so unusual that it makes the bartender reference their recipe card is always good, lol Cool

Not sure I fall into any of those FBC catagories... #24 would probably be the closest though Confused

Maybe I'm a #12: A person who's experienced "The Treatment" by Blaze first hand (or should I say 'foot'), yet seems to still acquiesce to Blaze's desires, but actually passively resists them. Hmmm, I wonder if Ann is going to show up on time this year? Wink

It's like Scott Layden with the Knicks---I'm just waiting for the nightmare to be over. Twisted Evil

OK, back to VGM Razz

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 02/17/05 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
herrade wrote:
i'm sorry, dex. i know you're going to tell me to get over it, but i'm not there yet.

Yes, I am. But it's ok, I understand, as the 44 is an acquired taste. I no longer defend that part of the FBC as sometimes I myself prefer not to associate with its leader. Speaking of tastes, martini? The founder of the FBC doesn't drink martinis. He likes bottles of Hennessy but most of the senior members seem to be fruity drink drinkers, so you guys can have fun with that. Today I am a #23.

I can't believe how many people dislike #44, she must be the most disliked player in the League (or is it #9).

Keegan

PostPosted: 02/17/05 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
f_blaze_coalition wrote:

I can't believe how many people dislike #44, she must be the most disliked player in the League (or is it #9).

#9 has a lot more game to back it up.
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 02/17/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that no one in the Libs organization is losing sleep over Tari leaving, only us fans (well not really losing sleep, but quite pissed off).

I'm DEFINITELY a #24. Solidarity all the way! Even though I love my #23, but this one deserves a full out hatred!!

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Well considering I am the founding member and I don't feel that way in the least, I don't think that's part of the membership criteria. See my post over at ESPN. I think this move is best for everyone. Lib fans may not want to hear it, but our 3 captains aren't losing sleep over the loss of Tari, neither are our coach and gm or anyone else on the roster. Tari gets to go somewhere and be happy which she was no longer able to do in NY. I'd rather that than a replay of last season or the one before it.

Membership into the FBC simply consists of the willingness to strongly dislike Blaze in some form. It must be natural. Tamika Whitmore has agreed to waive the membership fee for all incoming members in celebration of her recent stick up of Penny Toler. Community service includes buying our senior members drinks, watching their kids from time to time, and listening to their significant others who are now scattered across the country, complain. Trust, it was much easier when they all sat in the same section. You must also be a willing participant in the sharing information that may impact the coalition directly or indirectly in an implicit or explicit manner on the boards. You must also be able to name the various sects of the coalition and know the difference. Some days I'm an 11, some days I'm a 23, others I'm a 24. Let me break it down.

If you're a:

#24 or a #44 - If you are a part of this crew, you simply hate Blaze.

#11 - you're slick. You disagree with some, most or all of her personnel decisions and don't really care for her as the gm, but you respect her connections and know not to burn bridges. You may have become indifferent in regards to the person with an option to forgive or you may actually understand the difficulty in her decision making. You appreciate her business sense and get along fine as long as it doesn't relate to basketball.

#23 - you're the kindest and most realistic of them all. You voluntarily left her reins. You don't take things personal, and you like being on the outside looking in. Like a #11 member, you've known and befriended Blaze for a long time, (or if you're a fan you remember her basketball prowess) so you are incapable of outright hate. If you're a fan and a member of this crew, you just think she's incompetent, but oh well, it's still my team.

#34 - you're hot and cold. You're simply a member because all your friends are doing it and you thought it was cool but you really don't have a problem with Blaze because she was still sane during your time. You're just a member because it's fashionable and chic. This option is mostly for fans who aren't die-hard Liberty fans.

#25 - you're an enabler. You let Blaze do what she does by supporting her efforts but you seem to be uncomfortable doing so.

Welcome.

SORF

PostPosted: 02/17/05 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are three women in the League that have shut down Lisa Leslie consistently over the years... and I'm happy two are now Comets. Tari Phillips is a welcomed addition to the Comets lineup. Even if her point production may be on the decline, her defense and aggressiveness under the board will be a welcomed addition.

As for the "who is better" Tina or Tari, I would have to go with Tina because she has a more all around game than Tari. However, I have noticed in the past couple of years Tina isn't as aggressive under the basket as she once was. Tari will fill that void. So I'm very pleased with this signing.

BCBG...
I promise you that Tari will be as beloved by the Comets fans as she was and still is by the Liberty fans...I have always had deep respect and awe for her game. Smile

Kiera…
Welcome to the Sea of Red! Wink

BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/17/05 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF,
Your avatar is the cutest!
Coming from the classiest Comets fan, I believe you. It'll be the first time I will totally love if the Liberty lose a game. Against the Comets no less!

PostPosted: 02/17/05 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See Mel, I know this is basically resolved, but these are the Comets fans I see - Smoov and SORF, pilight and MT, among others, who are the fans that will love Tari as much as Lib fans did. She's more than a welcome addition, she's a sight for sore eyes with the Comets in the energy department. She's something new, that seems to have a better propensity to gel with the regulars.

Hey, and even if pilight seems skeptical, we all know he's just glad something's happening. My fear is the same as his though, that all we do is get good enough to delay rebuilding. I want a good draft pick next year if we aren't contending for a championship Let's be honest, Tari doesn't make the Comets any younger.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: