RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon 2020-2021
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/20 4:53 pm    ::: Oregon 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m definitely on the Jaz Shelley bandwagon, if there is one. She wasn’t ranked very high in the 2019 ESPN rankings (not in the Top 100), but that might because she wasn’t scouted very much. Here’s the one scouting report ESPN had on her.

Quote:
June 2017: Agile floor general with a scorer's mentality in the back court; fundamental half-court manager penetrates and distributes, collapses the defense; manufactures, delivers off the dribble with range to the arc; an elite back court prospect in the world. (Olson)

She definitely has a scorer’s mentality, especially from three point land.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VL90V2iu3i0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So now she’ll have a shot at starting for a very good Oregon team. There’s a very good (#1 rated) freshman class class coming in, so she’ll have to beat out a highly rated freshman PG. If she can do that, that should be huge for her basketball stock. Otherwise she’ll be stuck coming off the bench most of her college career.

2020 Oregon freshman class
#8 Sydney Parrish 6’0 G
#11 Te-Hina Paopao 5’9 PG (Gatorade POY for California in 2020)
#17 Kylee Watson 6’3 F
#19 Maddie Scherr 5’11 G
#22 Angela Dugalic 6’4 F

Scout on Te-Hina Paopao:
Quote:
Nike Tournament of Champions-December 2019: Athletic lead-guard with combo-game skills; drains jumpers with range beyond the arc; explosive off the dribble, finishes plays to the rim through contact; executes plays in half-court game, reads the defense and delivers results; unselfish playmaker, leader and teammate; a stock-riser in the class of 2020. (Olson)

Under Armour Nationals-July 2019: Athletic floor-leader with a scoring punch; explosive back court game breaks defenders down, rises on jumper with range beyond the arc; streaky deep range game, quick off the bounce, interrogates the defense and dishes in traffic; a superb guard in the class of 2020. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2016: Athletic lead guard brings a scorer's mentality to the back court; quick first-step attack, pushes tempo and distributes in transition; elevates on jumper with smooth release, range to the arc. (Olson)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rQBUpbo4KWE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Moved this from a thread on the WNBA page to here for organizational purposes Razz )

Oregon will no doubt be young, but they'll be loaded with talent and have some upper-classmen leadership sprinkled in. Sweet 16/Elite 8 is absolutely possible now that Ionescu's class showed everyone that it can be done with a freshmen-led team. I think it would really be in Graves' best interest to redshirt at least one of the freshmen, if possible. That way they can basically spread out their highly touted freshman class that much more and create enough opportunities down the line for everyone to play and keep everyone happy. It helped that a couple of others wisely already did after this past season (Winterburn and Cochrane), so that'll help give more opportunity to the youngsters... probably to the chagrin of the rest of the Conference. Rolling Eyes If they establish the chemistry they're looking for, everyone else better look out!

My guess is Boley will still start at SF, and Chavez will get the start at SG, since she seems headed in that direction - and she's surely good and experienced enough to start. Going back to where this all stemmed from, I think Shelley deserves to be penciled in at PG until one of the freshmen proves they can bring more to the table than her in a starting spot (I think both Paopao and Scherr can run point, so maybe the weaker one of them redshirts?). Parrish being the highest ranked freshman of the class will probably vie for a starting spot, but if not she can back up both SG and SF. As for the posts, Giomi is a senior option to start at C, but the superiorly-talented Sedona Prince should be both eligible and healthy so she probably gets the nod. PF will depend on the status of Nyara Sabally. If she can play, I'm guessing she'll start. But if she can't, Graves might start one of the freshman posts instead (I think both Watson and Dugalić are considered "face-up 4's"), or even Boley at PF and someone like Parrish at SF. I am curious to see what Boley can do in a bigger role, so maybe that's exactly what she gets. Wink

But if everyone's healthy and no one redshirts, this is my guess as to what Oregon will look like (with the *'s next to the seniors' names):

PG: Shelley/Paopao
SG: Chavez/Scherr/Yaeger*
SF: Boley*/Parrish
PF: Sabally/Watson/Dugalić
C: Prince/Giomi*

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/15/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Ducks will be formidable but there are at least a couple of ifs...
if Prince and Sabally are totally healthy;
if at least one, but preferably two of the incoming Freshman are truly ready to go;
if they can get the team chemistry thing happening quickly.

Pretty substantial ifs, but I think it's quite doable. Probably take some time to get the machine fully functioning but when it happens, life should be good on the green pond. At this point I think Prince and Sabally are the most important because we pretty much know they already have the two solid guards and Boley. And even Giomi showed she could be a decent enough post backup. Also Chavez looked capable of running the point so that gives them even more options of how to incorporate the rookies.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Graves puts this all together.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/15/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Though for the sake of our respective Pac-12 programs we support, let's hope he can't find a way to put it all together. Razz

Howee

PostPosted: 05/16/20 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Between Graves and Campbell as coaches and the talent they have, I think they're going to be HIGHLY competitive. Obviously, it's what I *want* to believe (Wink) but there's some substance to that wish. Few teams can lose a Sabrina and be the same, never mind a Sabrina/Ruthy/Satou combo, and remain where they were before that. But it'll be fun to see how it plays out.

PostPosted: 05/16/20 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Terp Taylor Mikesell is now a Duck!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

geeceem wrote:
Ex-Terp Taylor Mikesell to Oregon.

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2020/05/taylor-mikesell-two-time-all-conference-maryland-guard-and-coveted-transfer-commits-to-oregon-ducks.html

Interesting choice for her. Maybe the opportunity to play with Prince was a dealbreaker? Assuming she sits out the next collegiate season, finding minutes in Oregon's backcourt might be a tricky endeavor depending on who will have emerged as a go-to player by then.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

geeceem wrote:

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2020/05/taylor-mikesell-two-time-all-conference-maryland-guard-and-coveted-transfer-commits-to-oregon-ducks.html

Interesting choice for her. Maybe the opportunity to play with Prince was a dealbreaker? Assuming she sits out the next collegiate season, finding minutes in Oregon's backcourt might be a tricky endeavor depending on who will have emerged as a go-to player by then.

I dunno....even Miss Winterburn (who chose to leave OR this season) got a bunch of minutes in every game, as a 4th/5th guard option. Kelly plays his ladies a lot. Anybody who can shoot the 3 like Mikesell ought to see a lot of time, tho maybe not as much as she did at MD.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

geeceem wrote:

I dunno....even Miss Winterburn (who chose to leave OR this season) got a bunch of minutes in every game, as a 4th/5th guard option. Kelly plays his ladies a lot. Anybody who can shoot the 3 like Mikesell ought to see a lot of time, tho maybe not as much as she did at MD.

The thing is, several of those games were comfortable blowouts by the time players deeper in the bench got subbed in. Otherwise it didn't seem like anyone on his bench got particularly big minutes in close games. I'm guessing Oregon will find itself in significantly fewer blowouts next season, so maybe he rides whoever his starters will be or maybe he relies more on his bench. But if the guards find a way to kick it into high gear next season while Mikesell presumably sits out - particularly the freshman guards - it could get really competitive figuring out guard rotations in the fall of '21, especially if the only thing Mikesell can bring to the table is her shooting (something Oregon hasn't seemed to lack in Graves' tenure thus far). Basically what I'm saying is, I think Mikesell will get a rotation spot when she's due to become eligible, but I'm not penciling her in for a starting spot.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/18/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

geeceem wrote:

The thing is, several of those games were comfortable blowouts by the time players deeper in the bench got subbed in. Otherwise it didn't seem like anyone on his bench got particularly big minutes in close games. I'm guessing Oregon will find itself in significantly fewer blowouts next season, so maybe he rides whoever his starters will be or maybe he relies more on his bench. But if the guards find a way to kick it into high gear next season while Mikesell presumably sits out - particularly the freshman guards - it could get really competitive figuring out guard rotations in the fall of '21, especially if the only thing Mikesell can bring to the table is her shooting (something Oregon hasn't seemed to lack in Graves' tenure thus far). Basically what I'm saying is, I think Mikesell will get a rotation spot when she's due to become eligible, but I'm not penciling her in for a starting spot.

This is a huge get, the former Big Ten Frosh of the Year? Yes, I would pencil her in as a starter in Eugene. She's a gamer. Lots of guards may lead to attrition, but right now there are too many question marks and unproven newbies so makes sense to load it up.

Assuming knees and legs are healthy and ready the 2021-2022 version of the Ducks could be quite dangerous - and quite fun to watch.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/18/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Lots of guards may lead to attrition, but right now there are too many question marks and unproven newbies so makes sense to load it up.

This kind of situation is a well-known factor in these big-talent transfer deals. Mikesell had any number of offers, I'd think, and as a talented recruit, I'd bet she knew the *ropes* re: navigating a team that she'd fit in with best. Between Frese and Graves, I'd hope she was well informed.

That said, we have a repeat of the Slocum trade: Also MD, also talented (NATIONAL freshman of the year) and a trip to the Pac 12. NOT the ending I think she may have envisioned. How can ya know??

PostPosted: 05/18/20 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Lots of guards may lead to attrition, but right now there are too many question marks and unproven newbies so makes sense to load it up.

This kind of situation is a well-known factor in these big-talent transfer deals. Mikesell had any number of offers, I'd think, and as a talented recruit, I'd bet she knew the *ropes* re: navigating a team that she'd fit in with best. Between Frese and Graves, I'd hope she was well informed.

That said, we have a repeat of the Slocum trade: Also MD, also talented (NATIONAL freshman of the year) and a trip to the Pac 12. NOT the ending I think she may have envisioned. How can ya know??

Difference is this, Mikesell's game will fit with Oregon better than Slocum's with OSU. I think the Arkansas style of play is perfect for Slocum and I think she will flourish there. It was a smart move by her, IMO.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/18/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree that Mikesell will fit right in at Oregon. I think she'll have no problem getting minutes...though it was an interesting choice by her. I would say more of a decision to win rather than a decision to be the star.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/18/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Mikesell’s stardom on a team with Chloe Bibby and Angel Reese coming on board.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/18/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I doubt Mikesell’s stardom on a team with Chloe Bibby and Angel Reese coming on board.

exactly my point.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 07/18/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qAJs9CG3PA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/29/20 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taylor Mikesell has now been declared eligible to play the 2020-2021 season for the Ducks.

Quote:
The NCAA granted Mikesell's waiver request for immediate eligibility. She has two remaining years of eligibility.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/30/20 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They must be giving everyone eligibility who asks. I mean, how does she rate? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/09/20 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mikesell will be a huge boost, no doubt; Oregon lost so very much, but I believe they're gonna be VERY good, nonetheless. (If we have a season.... Shocked )

PostPosted: 08/10/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In respect to playing time, I don't feel that we can judge this coming season on what sort of rotations were used in the last three season. Part of that is because Sabrina never wanted to come out of games. There was also a big difference in talent between some of the starters and the reserves. I mean just consider they team had 3 players taken in the top 8 including the first and second pick.

I suspect when there is no longer that much of a difference in talent, Greaves might go with the hot hand more often. When Geno had the top players on his team he went with a short lineup as well.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Graves gets contract extension.
https://autzenzoo.com/2020/12/31/oregon-womens-basketball-kelly-graves-agrees-contract-extension/

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/02/21 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Kelly Graves gets contract extension.
https://autzenzoo.com/2020/12/31/oregon-womens-basketball-kelly-graves-agrees-contract-extension/

Obviously. He'll be there until he retires by choice.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/02/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What’s the deal with Prince? Thought she had a minor injury she’s been out a while now?

PostPosted: 01/03/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
What’s the deal with Prince? Thought she had a minor injury she’s been out a while now?

from an article in the Oregonian a couple of days ago:
Quote:

“Sedona is day-to-day, week-to-week,” Oregon coach Kelly Graves said. “I just don’t know on her. That’s going to be a bonus anytime we can get her in. She’s just battling through a history of injuries and we hope to have her back sooner than later – and she will be. Nothing season-ending or anything like that.”

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/21 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

from an article in the Oregonian a couple of days ago:
Quote:

“Sedona is day-to-day, week-to-week,” Oregon coach Kelly Graves said. “I just don’t know on her. That’s going to be a bonus anytime we can get her in. She’s just battling through a history of injuries and we hope to have her back sooner than later – and she will be. Nothing season-ending or anything like that.”

Thanks Myrtle ! Hope she comes back soon she is definitely a difference maker and the best player on that team IMO.

PostPosted: 01/16/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Graves says it's time to condense rotation

Quote:
Oregon just suffered its most lopsided defeat since Sabrina Ionescu and Ruthy Hebard's freshman season. The 16-point loss to Arizona on Thursday night was the worst since top-seeded UCONN dismantled the Ducks in the Elite Eight in 2016-17 by 38 points.

The sharpshooting duo [of Boley and Mikesell] at one point this season acted as 1-2 on the team's scoring list, but have each cooled of over the past month or so. Boley is the team's lone senior with starting experience, while Mikesell was an all-conference performer at Maryland last season.

Neither player scored on Thursday. They missed all three shots they attempted, and turned it over five combined times.

Complicating the rotation further is what to do with 6-foot-7 center Sedona Prince... Graves said Prince had not practiced more than 10 minutes prior to facing the Wildcats, and the ESPN broadcast stated she was on a 12-to-18 minute restriction for the game in Tucson.

“I’m just glad she got her feet wet," he said of Prince. "She doesn’t have the strength. She wasn’t able to get deep position… I’m glad she got some time. She’ll be better with each game."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: