RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

RIP RPI

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60794
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 2:01 pm    ::: RIP RPI Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29133055/women-div-hoop-switching-rpi-net-assess-teams

Quote:
Division I women's basketball is moving to the NET starting with the 2020-21 NCAA tournament and will no longer use the RPI. Men's basketball made this move before the 2018-19 season.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praise the Lord.

I assume NET can't be worse anyway.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7950



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The NET is determined by whom a team played, where it played, how efficiently it played and the game result.


I think I read that these computer ratings have led to the modern coaching practice of playing starters in blowouts until almost the very end of the game. Which I hate.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60794
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NET is apparently even more friendly to the P5 teams than RPI was.

The big advantage of RPI is that the algorithm was public. Anybody could calculate it so the NCAA couldn't fudge it. They've been quite pointed about not releasing the NET formula, which of course will lead to accusations of altering the numbers to get whatever their desired outcome is. The lack of transparency is a huge drawback.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
The NET is determined by whom a team played, where it played, how efficiently it played and the game result.


I think I read that these computer ratings have led to the modern coaching practice of playing starters in blowouts until almost the very end of the game. Which I hate.


well, Geno will be comfortable with it then.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3468
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
The NET is determined by whom a team played, where it played, how efficiently it played and the game result.


I think I read that these computer ratings have led to the modern coaching practice of playing starters in blowouts until almost the very end of the game. Which I hate.


One article I saw this morning said scoring margin is not a factor for the women’s, as it is for the men’s.

From NCAA.com’s FAQ:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):

Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
Bad losses
Common opponents
Competitive in losses
Conference record
Early competition versus late competition
Head-to-head outcomes
NET ranking
Non-conference record
Overall record
Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
Significant wins
Strength of conference
Strength of schedule


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12845
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:
The NET is determined by whom a team played, where it played, how efficiently it played and the game result.


I think I read that these computer ratings have led to the modern coaching practice of playing starters in blowouts until almost the very end of the game. Which I hate.


well, Geno will be comfortable with it then.


Thanks for not disappointing! Laughing



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4300
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NET is apparently even more friendly to the P5 teams than RPI was.

The big advantage of RPI is that the algorithm was public. Anybody could calculate it so the NCAA couldn't fudge it. They've been quite pointed about not releasing the NET formula, which of course will lead to accusations of altering the numbers to get whatever their desired outcome is. The lack of transparency is a huge drawback.


I agree completely. I would also like to see what the ratings would have looked like for the past few years.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:
The NET is determined by whom a team played, where it played, how efficiently it played and the game result.


I think I read that these computer ratings have led to the modern coaching practice of playing starters in blowouts until almost the very end of the game. Which I hate.


well, Geno will be comfortable with it then.


Thanks for not disappointing! Laughing


yw Very Happy I was waiting for SDHoops to rail at me for my supposed hatred of UConn...but I guess she/he isn't lingering around in the off season.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 183



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

to me there's too many subjective decisions..so many criteria so which ones take precedent?.....


OT.....does anybody know when schedules weil be coming out?


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4300
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
to me there's too many subjective decisions..so many criteria so which ones take precedent?.....


OT.....does anybody know when schedules weil be coming out?


I doubt seriously that any schedules will be released before August, because I doubt that we will know much about whether or not there will be a season and what teams will or will not play


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
elsie wrote:
to me there's too many subjective decisions..so many criteria so which ones take precedent?.....


OT.....does anybody know when schedules weil be coming out?


I doubt seriously that any schedules will be released before August, because I doubt that we will know much about whether or not there will be a season and what teams will or will not play


I'm guessing they're all putting together tentative if-then schedules, but won't tell anyone until something is knows for sure.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin