Board Junkies Forums

A WNBA tournament option
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 05/05/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:
More Americans have already died from this virus than in combat during Vietnam, but we still aren’t collectively at the place to recognize that sports just aren’t that important right now. What’s the death threshold, I wonder, before we accept this summer and fall as out of reach for sporting entertainment.

Why is opening up the economy for important stuff like haircuts and tattoos seen as okay, but playing sports in a controlled environment is deemed not okay?

Nah. You know what. Deleted.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/05/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:
NASCAR resumes May 17 & the PGA resumes June 11. I do think it's best for the NBA & NHL to not attempt to finish their current season.

Agreed.

I agree as well.

NASCAR is kind of an outlier anyway. Auto racing has always had a higher tolerance for danger and death than stick and ball sports. It is not just limited to drivers, but crew members, and even fans have died due to accidents during auto races. To some degree it is the danger that the makes auto racing what it is. This is not true NASCAR alone - all forms of motorsport have this in common.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Shades wrote:
Why is opening up the economy for important stuff like haircuts and tattoos seen as okay, but playing sports in a controlled environment is deemed not okay?

Nah. You know what. Deleted.

LOL. I consider replying to this question. I'm willing to bet that I didn't for the same reason you deleted what you wrote.

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I don't believe most people believe that opening up barber shops and tattoo parlors is okay.

Why is it happening then? Why are beaches opening? I guess what “most people” feel is best doesn’t matter.

calbearman76 wrote:
Indeed I think sports is more important but how far we can get with much more testing is hard to say.

Of course there’s got to be testing. Nobody’s suggesting things are going to be back to “normal” anytime soon. But we can only do things the normal way, or do we have to create a new normal sooner than way later?

I heard Trump tried to push 5-min tests onto Congress, instead of sending them to the frontline or wherever they’re needed. So at least we know that 5-min tests are available in some capacity. Maybe they’re readily available, and the NBA will have the capacity to get these tests. I know they were able to test their players back when few tests were available to anyone. Now testing should be ramped up a bunch since then.

calbearman76 wrote:
I seriously doubt we will have college football this year. NFL football has a chance but without fans, and only because there is so much money involved. I still haven't seen a responsible plan for the MLB season or finishing either the NHL or NBA. By the end of the year something will have to be figured out but I don't hold my breath for the WNBA leading the way.

It’d be easier for the WNBA to pull it off. Only 12 teams and at most 144 players. Easier to contain that in a bubble... if it’s worth it to all who would be in the bubble. Can you imagine how huge it would be for the league if they’re one of the few sports available for viewing?

calbearman76 wrote:
I think Imani Stafford may be able to practice medicine before the WNBA plays another game.

I’ll take you up on that bet since McGee-Stafford is studying to be a lawyer. Sounded like she’s taking two seasons off, so it kind of sounded like she’s anticipating being be back in the league, maybe because becoming a lawyer is hard.

I actually agree with a few of your points. It would be easier for the WNBA to open up than most other sports. There are two big problems with that. First, getting started will be expensive. Playing without fans does very little for the bottom line and the WNBA does not have deep pockets. Second I don't see the NBA allowing the WNBA to jump in front of the men. And if the NBA opens up to finish their season the WNBA will have even more trouble getting ratings.

The testing issue is certainly necessary, but so far there has been little improvement and the WNBA won't be a high priority use of limited testing.

And as for barber shops and tattoo parlors this was a decision by a Republican governor who thought the best way to get information about Covid-19 was listening to Trump. He was unaware that asymptomatic people could still infect others. And just because some of these places have opened doesn't mean that they will have a steady stream of business,

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I don't believe most people believe that opening up barber shops and tattoo parlors is okay.

Why is it happening then? Why are beaches opening? I guess what “most people” feel is best doesn’t matter.

calbearman76 wrote:
Indeed I think sports is more important but how far we can get with much more testing is hard to say.

Of course there’s got to be testing. Nobody’s suggesting things are going to be back to “normal” anytime soon. But we can only do things the normal way, or do we have to create a new normal sooner than way later?

I heard Trump tried to push 5-min tests onto Congress, instead of sending them to the frontline or wherever they’re needed. So at least we know that 5-min tests are available in some capacity. Maybe they’re readily available, and the NBA will have the capacity to get these tests. I know they were able to test their players back when few tests were available to anyone. Now testing should be ramped up a bunch since then.

calbearman76 wrote:
I seriously doubt we will have college football this year. NFL football has a chance but without fans, and only because there is so much money involved. I still haven't seen a responsible plan for the MLB season or finishing either the NHL or NBA. By the end of the year something will have to be figured out but I don't hold my breath for the WNBA leading the way.

It’d be easier for the WNBA to pull it off. Only 12 teams and at most 144 players. Easier to contain that in a bubble... if it’s worth it to all who would be in the bubble. Can you imagine how huge it would be for the league if they’re one of the few sports available for viewing?

calbearman76 wrote:
I think Imani Stafford may be able to practice medicine before the WNBA plays another game.

I’ll take you up on that bet since McGee-Stafford is studying to be a lawyer. Sounded like she’s taking two seasons off, so it kind of sounded like she’s anticipating being be back in the league, maybe because becoming a lawyer is hard.

I actually agree with a few of your points. It would be easier for the WNBA to open up than most other sports. There are two big problems with that. First, getting started will be expensive. Playing without fans does very little for the bottom line and the WNBA does not have deep pockets.

The WNBA isn’t an independent league. That’s how they’ve survived this long. There won’t be attendance for any sport for a while. Does that mean you stop doing sports? More people will be watching on tv. That’s where you make up for the lack of gate. Right now, ABC & ESPN is contracted for 16 games + playoffs. The WNBA has about 200 regular season games. If ESPN wants to broadcast more than 16 regular season games (since they might be one of the only sports available to broadcast), they can’t expect to get them for free. This should help with “the bottom line”. Betting facilitators will be helpful to get things rolling because they need more things for people to bet on.

calbearman76 wrote:
Second I don't see the NBA allowing the WNBA to jump in front of the men.

Misogyny in 2020? The NBA has an interest in seeing the WNBA do well, despite the conspiracy theories pilight likes to come up with. The WNBA has been a petri dish for the NBA as far as new rules. They can be one for this too. But it might be likely they both start up at about the same time... same bubble?

calbearman76 wrote:
And if the NBA opens up to finish their season the WNBA will have even more trouble getting ratings.

I don’t believe worrying about ratings will be an issue. My vision says they’ll be on television more than ever.

calbearman76 wrote:
The testing issue is certainly necessary, but so far there has been little improvement and the WNBA won't be a high priority use of limited testing.

Thought I was lying?
https://time.com/5812664/5-minute-coronavirus-test/

Trump wants to get the ball rolling on sports again, so who knows. You seem forever stuck on the perspective that nobody has or ever will respect the WNBA. These are different times. The league has a new CBA and there isn’t a lot going on with sports. If they can pull it off, it’d be a great opportunity for the WNBA to grab the spotlight and possibly gain a segment of fans who never gave the sport a chance.

calbearman76 wrote:
And as for barber shops and tattoo parlors this was a decision by a Republican governor who thought the best way to get information about Covid-19 was listening to Trump.

It’s not just him. States all over the country are opening up. Even my governor in Minnesota is feeling the heat to start up the economy. You want to talk about bottom line? There’s not enough money to pay everyone’s bills until the pandemic is over. So it’s easy for those who have a steady income stream without working or massive savings (like most of the people in this forum) to criticize. If Republicans don’t want to add to the national debt by giving more economic stimulus to people who have bills to pay, what do you expect to happen?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have certainly been technological improvements in testing, but despite those advances the actual number of tests still lags far behind what is needed. The best available numbers show we are testing about 250,000 per day, 40-50% of what experts believe is necessary.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

I agree that if the WNBA started playing tomorrow and no other sports did there could be solid viewership numbers. But if the WNBA comes back at the same time as the NBA and/or MLB, NHL or the NFL I don't see anymore people caring than do now. And while ESPN will cover Korean baseball in the middle of the night if it is the only thing on, it won't be clamoring for content if the other leagues are playing. Indeed the best possibility would be if college football is cancelled this season so ESPN would have Saturdays free.

I also agree that the government can't continue to support everyone financially. The size of the bailout has been crazy, roughly $2.5 trillion. That is $7,000 per person. But the total cost to government (and society as a whole) will only go up if 1500-2000 people keep dying everyday from the virus. There needs to be shared sacrifice, something our country has seemingly defined as everyone else sacrificing.

The WNBA could try to reopen, but i doubt they will get the kind of general support needed to pull that off. The NBA and MLB have much greater support and the potential for much better return on investment. That is where the focus will be. This isn't misogyny; it is finance.

Just putting on a product doesn't guarantee ratings. Indeed the WWE has continued to produce new content over this period and their ratings are lower than ever. I suspect that NASCAR will do better numbers initially when they start up on May 17 but I doubt the higher ratings will be sustained because most people aren't interested in watching cars turn left. And whether you want to admit it or not the WNBA is more closely aligned with the WWE or NASCAR from an economic standpoint than the big sports.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this is why I said it's best if the NBA & NHL don't try and finish their season. Leave the summer to the WNBA (& MLB). MLS & NWSL might start-up by mid-June. Let's not crowd the summer market by letting the "lesser" leagues vanish.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: