RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Boise State coaches to be furloughed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:51 pm    ::: Boise State coaches to be furloughed Reply Reply with quote

So, this was kinda interesting and wasn't sure what thread to put this under, so I created a new thread. My apologies if it is already mentioned or talked about in a different thread.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29078562/boise-state-coaches-athletics-staff-take-furloughs

An interesting exerpt:

Quote:
The university said 12-month employees earning more than $40,000 per year are required to take furloughs between May 3 and July 31. The highest-paid employees making more than $150,000 annually will have to take 10-day furloughs.

Broncos football coach Bryan Harsin, who earns $1.65 million in base salary, will forfeit about $63,000. Most of his assistant coaches are also subject to the 10-day requirement, along with men's basketball coach Leon Rice and women's basketball coach Gordy Presnell.

Rice's base salary for 2019 was $705,292, and Presnell's was $242,128.

The university said on its website that furloughed employees "cannot perform work in any capacity during this time, including answering email, returning calls, or being 'on-call.'"

So, according to that last paragraph, none of the Boise State assistant coaches (assuming they all make over 40k) are going to be able to respond to any recruit, coach, parent, etc while furloughed for nearly 3 months?? Also, if the July recruiting period does occur (and that is a very big if right now), I would also take it to mean they would not be able to go out on the road either.

Have any other schools chosen to furlough coaches as well?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:07 pm    ::: Re: Boise State coaches to be furloughed Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
So, this was kinda interesting and wasn't sure what thread to put this under, so I created a new thread. My apologies if it is already mentioned or talked about in a different thread.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29078562/boise-state-coaches-athletics-staff-take-furloughs

An interesting exerpt:

Quote:
The university said 12-month employees earning more than $40,000 per year are required to take furloughs between May 3 and July 31. The highest-paid employees making more than $150,000 annually will have to take 10-day furloughs.

Broncos football coach Bryan Harsin, who earns $1.65 million in base salary, will forfeit about $63,000. Most of his assistant coaches are also subject to the 10-day requirement, along with men's basketball coach Leon Rice and women's basketball coach Gordy Presnell.

The university said on its website that furloughed employees "cannot perform work in any capacity during this time, including answering email, returning calls, or being 'on-call.'"

So, according to that last paragraph, none of the Boise State assistant coaches (assuming they all make over 40k) are going to be able to respond to any recruit, coach, parent, etc while furloughed for nearly 3 months?? Also, if the July recruiting period does occur (and that is a very big if right now), I would also take it to mean they would not be able to go out on the road either.

Have any other schools chosen to furlough coaches as well?

I don't think they are off the entire summer. Rather, they have to take 10 days during that time period. This would be similar to furloughs at other places (though I don't know if other universities are including coaches).

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:59 pm    ::: Re: Boise State coaches to be furloughed Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

A bit odd, but I never paid much attention to such details It does beg some questions:
1. Is this new at Boise St.?
2. The first paragraph means what? That those in that category must/cannot fulfill duties anytime between May3 and July 31? It doesn't seem to clarify if it's just a 10 day furlough anytime between those dates. Also, the higher-paid folks are apparently subject to only(?) 10-day furloughs, implying that it is different for other, less-paid employees.
3. Does football coach Harsin's contract specify that he might randomly be subject to 'forfeiting' large chunks of money at the university's whim?

Odd. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/22/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^^That was a sucky article.

Quote:
The school announced Monday that all employees who make more than $40,000 per year will be furloughed between four and 10 days depending on specific salary...

According to the report, employees making more than $150,000 per year will required to take 10 days off without pay. Assistants who make between $100,000-$149,999 will have to take seven days off, those who make $75,000-$99,999 will be sidelined for five days and staffers who make between $40,000-$74,999 will be off for four days.

Not a big deal in terms of job responsibilities, particularly when it's not clear when physical classes or collegiate sports will resume.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/boise-state-furloughs-football-coaching-staff-to-help-ease-financial-burden-caused-by-coronavirus/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/23/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/boise-state-furloughs-football-coaching-staff-to-help-ease-financial-burden-caused-by-coronavirus/

That article spelled it all out and answered my questions. Thank you for posting that. The one I saw was a disaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: