RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Muffet McGraw retires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:38 pm    ::: Muffet McGraw retires Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

https://www.abc57.com/news/notre-dame-coach-muffet-mcgraw-announces-retirement

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw this! What on earth?

I did NOT see this coming. Wow.

I know there are several ND fans/posters on here so hopefully someone has some insight into what prompted her to do this.

She will be missed. I always had the utmost respect for her and the way she went about her business.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I just saw this! What on earth?

I did NOT see this coming. Wow.

I know there are several ND fans/posters on here so hopefully someone has some insight into what prompted her to do this.

She will be missed. I always had the utmost respect for her and the way she went about her business.

It’s a hard way to make a living.

Maybe she’s just decided to spend more time with her family. She’s in her 60s. She narrowly escaped death once; that’s got to make you appreciate the preciousness of life.

Who knows? I guess we’ll have to hear from her.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Maybe she’s just decided to spend more time with her family. She’s in her 60s. She narrowly escaped death once; that’s got to make you appreciate the preciousness of life.

Who knows? I guess we’ll have to hear from her.

That was along the lines I was thinking as well. The timing is just a little weird to me, but then again, what in the world right now isn't a little weird and off.

I hope she truly enjoys retirement as she has earned it big time.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw this, I was thinking, "You're 3 weeks late..."

Yeah, I was shocked.

And they already have her replacement lined up (wish their Football coaching searches were this efficient):

Niele Ivey

https://und.com/coachivey/

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised to hear this but maybe this past season was a huge burn-out for her? With the state of the world right now, I wonder how much she has re-prioritized her mission in life and what she wants to do. Think she can still have a huge impact on the game if she decides she wants to do TV, work with the NCAA or WBCA or lead the Women's Sports Foundation or develop young coaches - heck or just step away altogether for a bit. It's Muffet's world.

In terms of my burnout comment, I don't mean to lead with the negative, because the woman has done it all except for coach in the WNBA or lead USA Basketball. In terms of Notre Dame, what was left for her to achieve? To build her program back up? A tall task but she could do it if she wanted it.

I just thought we had her in the college game a few more years. Pretty soon, C.Viv, Geno and Tara will also step down and that will truly be the end of the golden era of the pioneer pod of coaches. Really crazy to be living through this!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. A coach with her experience and accolades doesn't just *do* this willy-nilly. I know last season had to be grueling, but....she's certainly tougher than that. I have every confidence she's found this to be The Right Thing for her. She'll be missed.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is actually a great move for ND . Coach Neil Ivey had been the primary recruiter for the program forever and was the sole reason they got all those talented players during their championship runs a few years back. Ivey also played a big part in recruiting Azzi fudd & Brunelle so this makes things realllly interesting.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
This is actually a great move for ND . Coach Neil Ivey had been the primary recruiter for the program forever and was the sole reason they got all those talented players during their championship runs a few years back. Ivey also played a big part in recruiting Azzi fudd & Brunelle so this makes things realllly interesting.

No doubt her first phone call will be to Azzi Fudd, no? Smile

I wonder if she keeps Carol, Beth and the Mabrey sister on the staff - meaning no changes there.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/22/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finding a replacement this quickly suggests this decision was made weeks ago and just announced now

PostPosted: 04/22/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Finding a replacement this quickly suggests this decision was made weeks ago and just announced now

Or it's been the plan for whenever Muffet decided to retire?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AD's comments make it sound like this has been in the works for weeks if not months. And they seem to already have the succession all wrapped up in a neat little package, which is great.

No idea what prompted this other than maybe the pandemic prompted her to reassess her career and priorities and pushed or accelerated a decision she'd been thinking about. Which I can certainly understand.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The AD's comments make it sound like this has been in the works for weeks if not months. And they seem to already have the succession all wrapped up in a neat little package, which is great.

No idea what prompted this other than maybe the pandemic prompted her to reassess her career and priorities and pushed or accelerated a decision she'd been thinking about. Which I can certainly understand.

Wow-much happiness to Muffet, she's certainly earned it. I think this is a good move for ND and a bad move for everyone else. Ivey coming back is a huge get.

Who thinks MM will be appearing as a broadcaster of in studio at ESPN? Her demeanor is a bit old, but I bet she would be very good at analyzing the game.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Shocked Shocked

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Who thinks MM will be appearing as a broadcaster of in studio at ESPN? Her demeanor is a bit old, but I bet she would be very good at analyzing the game.

*Old*?? OLD?? The wench is MY age. She's not "old". Evil or Very Mad

Actually, I think she'd be a refreshing change-up, with her wisdom and experience, from the 'wannabes'

PostPosted: 04/22/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Actually, I think she'd be a refreshing change-up, with her wisdom and experience, from the 'wannabes'

I meant to say cold, as in icy. Oops.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/22/20 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm too surprised. Muffet looked so...worn down last season. Her son got married what, two or three years ago? Maybe she's looking forward to being a full-time grandma?

WSBT just did an interview with her. She did say that the pandemic was a great time for reflection. She was away from the game and basically didn't miss it. She said that there are other things she wants to do.

We all knew that Niele was only going to the NBA to get some different experiences. Did anyone really think that she wouldn't come back to northern Indiana in a year or two? Her son starts at Purdue in the fall and no way she wasn't going to be around the area for that.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/22/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I meant to say cold, as in icy. Oops.

I think that you might be surprised how relaxed and funny she is when not competing. She would be FANTASTIC as an analyst.

We all know that she isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. Smile I agree that it would be refreshing.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/22/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm not sure I'm too surprised. Muffet looked so...worn down last season. Her son got married what, two or three years ago? Maybe she's looking forward to being a full-time grandma?

WSBT just did an interview with her. She did say that the pandemic was a great time for reflection. She was away from the game and basically didn't miss it. She said that there are other things she wants to do.

We all knew that Niele was only going to the NBA to get some different experiences. Did anyone really think that she wouldn't come back to northern Indiana in a year or two? Her son starts at Purdue in the fall and no way she wasn't going to be around the area for that.

Plenty of Purdue fans were hoping she would come back to the area, but not to Notre Dame ...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/22/20 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of Sue Guevara retiring last year at Central Michigan. Sue took time off for surgery, was reaching her 65th birthday and realized she was ready. Heather Oesterle was named the new coach basically in the same press conference.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/22/20 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Plenty of Purdue fans were hoping she would come back to the area, but not to Notre Dame ...

Everyone needs a dream. Wink Smile

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/23/20 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interviews with Muffet. The statue question in the second video brings up the additional question of when do they re-name the court?

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/one-on-one-muffet-mcgraw-discusses-her-decision-to-step-down-at-notre-dame

https://www.wndu.com/video?vid=569883562

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/23/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Interviews with Muffet. The statue question in the second video brings up the additional question of when do they re-name the court?

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/one-on-one-muffet-mcgraw-discusses-her-decision-to-step-down-at-notre-dame

After Muffet's interview on Sports Center, and her saying the decision was made a few weeks ago, but they were hoping to get the kids back to school to tell them in perspn....I CANNOT believe that this didn't get leaked. Kudos to everyone at ND for keeping this secret.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/23/20 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All credit to Muffet McGraw -- so many coaches will quit when that great senior class graduates (especially in high school) and leave the next coach to deal with the coming apocalypse. McGraw easily could have quit after last season, but she chose to stick it out with those players and the program she built, even though she knew it wasn't going to be a great year.

Now, her successor comes into a situation where the expectations have been lowered, the recruiting is back on track, and the chances of success are much greater.

McGraw's unselfish sacrifice of her last year of coaching is really something special. I always liked her, but I like her even more now ...

PostPosted: 04/23/20 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

After Muffet's interview on Sports Center, and her saying the decision was made a few weeks ago, but they were hoping to get the kids back to school to tell them in perspn....I CANNOT believe that this didn't get leaked. Kudos to everyone at ND for keeping this secret.

I'll have to watch that interview. Isn't it amazing what can be kept secret when nobody's around to see things?? Nobody seeing meeting taking place with different people and speculating what's going on? Kind of nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: