Randy

PostPosted: 04/20/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The Aces without Cambage might be a lottery team.

There is a zero percent chance that Angel McCoughtry, playing on a team that has better players, at every position, than the team she just left, will miss the playoffs.

They'll have just Wilson & Hamby inside basically. And if no foreigners show up, Avery Warley-Talbert is their only post off the bench.

Why is there a perception that no foreign players will show up, because they’re scared of the way Trump is handling the coronavirus situation?

if international travel sanctions aren't lifted whenever play/camps begin, no one outside of the US will be playing in the W this season. The exemption may be Canadian players.

There are travel restrictions, yes. But yet every day a whole bunch of planes fly in from foreign countries.

Basically, you just have to get a waiver and then go through the whole testing/quarantine process when you arrive.

Are those returning US citizens? Even, if not, foreign players may not be wild about airplane traveling followed by quarantine. Some might, others might not.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/20/20 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The Aces without Cambage might be a lottery team.

There is a zero percent chance that Angel McCoughtry, playing on a team that has better players, at every position, than the team she just left, will miss the playoffs.

They'll have just Wilson & Hamby inside basically. And if no foreigners show up, Avery Warley-Talbert is their only post off the bench.

Why is there a perception that no foreign players will show up, because they’re scared of the way Trump is handling the coronavirus situation?

if international travel sanctions aren't lifted whenever play/camps begin, no one outside of the US will be playing in the W this season. The exemption may be Canadian players.

There are travel restrictions, yes. But yet every day a whole bunch of planes fly in from foreign countries.

Basically, you just have to get a waiver and then go through the whole testing/quarantine process when you arrive.

Are those returning US citizens? Even, if not, foreign players may not be wild about airplane traveling followed by quarantine. Some might, others might not.

Yes, that is a possibility on the player's side. But the league/teams might also work something out.

If someone has dual citizenship or is a lawful resident of the US they will have no issue at all of returning. But there are a ton of provisions in the travel ban that allows for specific foreign nationals to automatically be exempted and then there is a provision that basically says "anyone else we deem important enough on an individual basis". Or in other words, you have to contact the State Department and get a waiver granted. With the whole desire by the president to get sports leagues up and running, athlete waivers would almost certainly be granted, IMO.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Antibody or on the spot testing may be available as well so players might be able to get out of the quarantine if they can show immunity or lack of any illness.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/21/20 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team with a starting lineup of:
Wilson
Hamby
McCoughtry
McBride
Plum

Is not missing the playoffs in a million years.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Antibody or on the spot testing may be available as well so players might be able to get out of the quarantine if they can show immunity or lack of any illness.

This is a novel virus. There’s not enough known about it to draw any conclusions about immunity or not.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/21/20 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Wilson
Hamby
McCoughtry
McBride
Plum

I mean, unless Wilson & Hamby play 40 minutes/game, they have no post help off the bench currently.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/21/20 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Wilson
Hamby
McCoughtry
McBride
Plum

I mean, unless Wilson & Hamby play 40 minutes/game, they have no post help off the bench currently.

You keep repeating this point, and we keep trying to tell you, it's not going to matter. The Aces can't win a championship without Cambage, but they're going to make the playoffs. You can take that to the bank. In fact, I would go double-or-nothing on my proposed lunch bet that, at a minimum, they have home court in the first round, with or without Cambage.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/21/20 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Wilson
Hamby
McCoughtry
McBride
Plum

You keep repeating this point, and we keep trying to tell you, it's not going to matter. The Aces can't win a championship without Cambage, but they're going to make the playoffs. You can take that to the bank. In fact, I would go double-or-nothing on my proposed lunch bet that, at a minimum, they have home court in the first round, with or without Cambage.

+1 the 2018 team had less with no cambage or angel and still finished 1 game from making the playoffs. Vegas making it this year is a sure bet toad.

PostPosted: 04/21/20 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My prediction is Phoenix will be a lottery team. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 04/21/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Nah. The lottery picks next season aren't good enough to tank for.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/21/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Sky fans can only wish.*

*Chicago owns Phoenix's first rounder in 2021.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/21/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Chicago wouldn't know what to do with the Lucky Balls

PostPosted: 04/21/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Make Rock Hard GM of the Sky and hope Natasha Mack lives up to the hype.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/21/20 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Make Rock Hard GM of the Sky and hope Natasha Mack lives up to the hype.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Cambage has been re-signed...

1. Washington
2. Seattle
3. Los Angeles
4. Las Vegas
5. Phoenix
6. Connecticut
7. Chicago
8. Atlanta
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. Indiana
12. New York

toad455

PostPosted: 04/22/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New rankings with the Cambage signing.

1. Washington Mystics
2. Seattle Storm
3. Las Vegas Aces
4. Chicago Sky
5. Los Angeles Sparks
6. Phoenix Mercury
7. Atlanta Dream
8. Connecticut Sun
9. Indiana Fever
10. Minnesota Lynx
11. Dallas Wings
12. New York Liberty

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From “The Athletic”
https://theathletic.com/1815648/2020/05/15/around-the-wnba-power-rankings-and-roster-projections/

2020 Preseason Power Rankings
1. Washington Mystics
2. Los Angeles Sparks
3. Seattle Storm
4. Connecticut Sun
5. Phoenix Mercury
6. Las Vegas Aces
7. Chicago Sky
8. Atlanta Dream
9. Indiana Fever
10. Dallas Wings
11. Minnesota Lynx
12. New York Liberty

I can’t follow any rationale that would have the Lynx that low. It’s ridiculous.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/17/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
From “The Athletic”
https://theathletic.com/1815648/2020/05/15/around-the-wnba-power-rankings-and-roster-projections/

2020 Preseason Power Rankings
1. Washington Mystics
2. Los Angeles Sparks
3. Seattle Storm
4. Connecticut Sun
5. Phoenix Mercury
6. Las Vegas Aces
7. Chicago Sky
8. Atlanta Dream
9. Indiana Fever
10. Dallas Wings
11. Minnesota Lynx
12. New York Liberty

I can’t follow any rationale that would have the Lynx that low. It’s ridiculous.

X____

The Lynx and Aces are too low and the Dream and Fever are too high

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/17/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Especially considering any season that'll be held will now start late enough for Sims to be available for presumably most if not all of it. Even if she still randomly chose to take the whole season off, the Lynx just aren't finishing that far low without her.

Factoring in a more-available Sims to Minnesota's rotation, I now think the lottery teams in one order or another will end up being the same ones as last year. Too, I don't see how the Aces fall to 6th given how stacked their starting frontcourt is now. They added a star player to their roster without losing much of anything. Neutral Phoenix and Connecticut each made enough wholesale changes to their roster to where I see them getting off to a slow start, which in a shortened season may all but prevent them from finishing in the Top 4.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/20 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see Connecticut struggling this season with so many new pieces and a weaker bench. Their starting line-up is solid, but it amazes me that Miller still can't build up his bench.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here is my updated 4 tier ranking

tier 1
Contenders
Washington
Las Vegas
Seattle
LA

These are the four teams I see in the semis and beyond anyone of them could win the championship. all of these teams whether through free agency (Charles, McCoughtry, Toliver) or injured players getting healthy (Stewart, Bird Loyd) added talent to already strong teams while keeping their cores intact.

tier 2
solid playoff teams
Chicago
Conn
PX

I see these 3 teams making the playoffs but not in the same class as the true contenders. PX and Conn have to add big new pieces while also losing some of their core (Conn add Bonner and January but lose C. Williams and Stricklen PX add Diggins-Smith, Breland and Hartley but lose Mitchell, January and Turner) while Chicago is developing through internal growth and chemistry but simply lacks a post player that would even start on one of the true contending teams. With that said one of them could break into the top 4 in a one and done situation but I can't see them surviving the semis and the finals so not really contenders

tier 3
are we playing for the playoffs or the lottery
Atl
Minn
Indy

one of these teams gets the final playoff spot, the other 2 are in the low end of the lottery. For Atl it will be about chemistry (C. Williams, Hayes, GloJo, E. Will, Stricklen, Montgmoery, up and coming Billings and K. Brown and possible star rookie Carter is plenty of talent and experience to make some noise if the players mesh). For Minn it will be about if Sims plays and plays well and the development of Collier and if Fowles still has game. In Indy it will be about progression of Wheelwr, the Mitchell's and McCowan all take a step forward and Cox plays like a top rookie and Vivians comes back as legit starter or 6 woman Indy could get some wins.

tier 4
more exciting than tier 3 but too much youth and not enough depth of talent
Dallas
NY

NY and Dallas will be fun to watch. Ionescu, Ogunbowale, Nurse, Sabally, Durr, Alarie, Johannes, Harris, Walker, KLS, Gray, maybe Han, Willoughby, Anigwe that is a lot of exciting young talent looking to make an impact, but without top tier veterans to anchor the teams it will be hard for NY or Dallas to be anywhere near decent playoff level W teams for a season or two.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/20 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Power Rankings

1. Las Vegas
2. LA
3. Conn
4. Washington
5. Phoenix
6. Seattle
7. Chicago
8. Atlanta
9. Indiana
10. Dallas
11. Minnesota
12. New York

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not ready to drink the LA Kool-Aid. They ended the season with tremendous discord, and yet they’re bringing back the same coach and the same core players. There is also a possible scandal looming that involves upper management. Unless I missed it, did everybody go on Zoom together and sing Kumbaya?

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota is the toughest team to predict . On paper they dont look that good , but they still made the playoffs last year. I struggled putting them anywhere from 7-11 in the power rankings. The loss of Augustus is what i feel will hurt them a lot this season . Her leadership in the back court will be missed. If sims is the same old sims then i see them finishing 7th , but if sims plays like she just had a baby then i concur.

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whether Sims plays will make or break the Lynx in 2020.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: