RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/27/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, each to their own, but Mack was already eligible to declare last year. She turns 24 this year. If you want a career as a professional basketball player, at some point you've got to get it started. Most players peak around 27 and she's barely going to be off her rookie-scale contract at that point (assuming she sticks that long).

PostPosted: 02/27/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Onyenwere tweeted after her Senior Day:
“ And just like that.... my last game at Pauley Pavilion was today.

It’s been a fun, and impactful four years that I couldn’t be more thankful for! Thank you UCLA”

And what a senior day it was against USC.
30 pts (11-19, 6-6 3P, 2-2), 8 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk in 30 min

It’s nice to see she’s capable of such a game. Uptick in stock for me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/27/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I mean, each to their own, but Mack was already eligible to declare last year. She turns 24 this year. If you want a career as a professional basketball player, at some point you've got to get it started. Most players peak around 27 and she's barely going to be off her rookie-scale contract at that point (assuming she sticks that long).

Agreed. I get why Mack stuck around to play this year, but she's not gonna develop any more than she has by continuing to play at the college level. The time to enter the Draft is now.

Shades wrote:
It’s nice to see she’s capable of such a game. Uptick in stock for me.

Onyenwere, like McDonald, has actually shot several percentage points worse overall than last season. And taking out this game, she was only shooting 32% from 3 on the season. She had some fluke-like symptoms in the USC game from distance, if you ask me. I'm less bullish about her now than I was. Glad to hear she's no longer considering staying in school and will enter the Draft, though – again, there's no more development for her to achieve at the college level.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/27/21 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of my favorite SF prospects has actually become Kayla Jones from NC State. She comfortably plays at the 3 when the Wolfpack go with a two-post lineup (and still plays around the perimeter even when she's at the 4), is just as good at rebounding as Onyenwere, has a good ATO, and hits her shots from 2 & 3 at a great clip. Stats here. She stood out to me when watching NC State beat South Carolina, as she single-handedly won that game for them when no one else on either team could step up. (The game can still be found on YouTube for anyone else who's curious, btw.)

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/27/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

She was a top 100 prospect out of high school, but ended up just staying home. Went to JUCO, and signed with a middling Big 12 program despite better offers. Seems to have really bought in to the community and culture at OK State. Much like her game, I think she likes to go at her own pace and make whatever move she thinks is best for her overall self. Most of OK State's home games that were live streamed had at least 1-3 references by announcers to her potentially coming back. With her confirmation of this, it seems like she is seeing a strong upside to herself in coming back(Whether it be a Masters program or just development). But I suppose we shall see if she thinks the extra money from going pro now outweighs whatever benefit she sees in coming back.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gondrezick 25 pts (6-20, 2-6 3P, 11-14 FT), 3 reb, 3 ast, 2 TO, 1 stl in 40 min

Efficiency wasn’t great but she got to the line to make up for it.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/27/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas lost to OK in OT today

Collier 23 pts (10-14, 3-4 FT), 7 reb, 0 ast, 4 TO, 4 stl, 1 blk in 32 min

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/27/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She was a top 100 prospect out of high school, but ended up just staying home. Went to JUCO, and signed with a middling Big 12 program despite better offers. Seems to have really bought in to the community and culture at OK State. Much like her game, I think she likes to go at her own pace and make whatever move she thinks is best for her overall self. Most of OK State's home games that were live streamed had at least 1-3 references by announcers to her potentially coming back. With her confirmation of this, it seems like she is seeing a strong upside to herself in coming back(Whether it be a Masters program or just development). But I suppose we shall see if she thinks the extra money from going pro now outweighs whatever benefit she sees in coming back.

Nevermind the fact some players genuinely enjoy being in college. To some the community and educational benefits outweigh playing professionally.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/27/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I am always a little confused by the knock on Carrington

She has a W build and seems to have game to me but she is continually in low 2nd/3rd round territory in most drafts.

I could see her either going higher or going lower but making a team and having more impact than some of the guards who ATM are considered a better pick

She's a true SG who has always been a shaky 3PT shooter, so that's her biggest knock. Still a decent scorer overall, has good size (5'11), and is good on defense. But she doesn't have that one elite skill that'll get her drafted into the 1st round imo. I also don't know how teams would view the fact that she comes off the bench for Baylor (which I too have never really understood, but it seems to work for both her & the team, I guess).

Not even one game after I say this, Carrington starts for the first time this season today. Didn't do a whole lot vs. Kansas State – 6 pts on 3-8 FG (0-4 3PT) to go with 3 stl in 14 min – so maybe it's back to a bench role for her. Still not sure she'd get drafted this year.

Edit: Actually, today's game was Baylor's Senior Day, as opposed to it being their last home game (Monday, Mar. 8 vs. West Virginia) – probably because this game was on a weekend when out-of-town family members could make the trip. Makes sense why Carrington started this game. Never mind! Embarassed

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/28/21 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/27/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen a few schools use the last weekend game as Senior Day, or at least the big formal Senior Day celebration with pre- and/or post-game festivities; some places will then use the last weekday game as a chance for the student section to show their appreciation, or to acknowledge non-player seniors such as cheer/dance or band.

PostPosted: 02/28/21 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aleah Goodman seems to be flying under the radar. She averages 16.6 ppg on .475/.521/.833 shooting. The 3Pt% is legit because she averages 2.7 makes per game, and Goodman began the season at .426 (193-453) for her career. Aleah also averages 5.1 apg with a solid 2.1 ATO. She used to come in last season as a defensive replacement for Destiny Slocum and ended up an Honorable Mention for Pac-12 All-Defense. Goodman is a flat-out great 3-point shooter and solid all-around college player. What do people think of her pro potential?

PostPosted: 02/28/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Aleah Goodman seems to be flying under the radar. She averages 16.6 ppg on .475/.521/.833 shooting. The 3Pt% is legit because she averages 2.7 makes per game, and Goodman began the season at .426 (193-453) for her career. Aleah also averages 5.1 apg with a solid 2.1 ATO. She used to come in last season as a defensive replacement for Destiny Slocum and ended up an Honorable Mention for Pac-12 All-Defense. Goodman is a flat-out great 3-point shooter and solid all-around college player. What do people think of her pro potential?

I've tried mentioning her on this thread as well as noting her best performances on the game day thread (such as her last one vs. UCLA). Maybe she's flying under the radar cuz Oregon State has had a down year, and they've also missed a bunch of games due to multiple covid pauses. In spite of both the lack of games played and the type of "family atmosphere" Oregon State has (she's also one of the few players there from the state of Oregon), I think it's very possible that she returns for another year.

Anyway, I had thought she was primed for a breakout senior season because she has been a reliable contributor for the Beavs since her freshman year, and has simply had to play behind/alongside players that are more likely to steal the show (namely Pivec & Slocum); but the way she has really put it all together this season has been so impressive, it has still surprised me a bit.

As it concerns her as a prospect: She's a true PG who can shoot lights out and consistently make good passes; At 5'9, she will likely not be big/fast enough to play a wing position in the W like Sydney Wiese has (being 6'0 & all). That said, her release seems to have gotten a bit quicker over time, and because she has had to do it all at times this season, she can shoot a little more off the dribble vs. only catch-and-shooting it, which is great! But imo her handles still leave a little to be desired, which for a PG is not great. She has solid fundamentals defensively – maybe a little slow with her footspeed since she's not particularly athletic but her effort compensates for it. She can also drive to the lane and finish, but again, her footspeed will hold her back at the pro level unless she finds a way to get quicker. She is a high-IQ/good-fundamentals player along with having good skills – and is in good shape conditioning-wise – but graduating to a quicker, more athletic game as a slower PG may prove to be too much for her. Overall, it's very possible she's a good college player and can't translate to the W, but there's only one way to find out, really. I'd absolutely take a chance on her with a 2RP or even late-1RP.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps the thing with Goodman is that she doesn't show a lot of eye candy. In reality she's pretty tough, but there's something about the way she carries herself that makes you think 'mouse in the corner'.
She has skill and she's been the major positive on a team that's hopefully rebuilding. [any team that starts Corosdale is going to be in trouble] Her numbers are seriously impressive considering she's pretty much had to create everything both for herself and for her teammates. I have a slightly higher opinion of her ball handling than Stormeo but she has been like the lone ranger on this team without much help. Like Stormeo I'm not sure she could make it at the next level, but still would love to see her given a chance. I actually think she's better than Slocum [ducks] for instance.

Highly recommend you watch her sometime and don't be misled by her appearance.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I actually think she's better than Slocum [ducks] for instance.

I definitely disagree with that. You must not be watching Arkansas lately. She’s been playing out of her mind (in front of Catch).

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I definitely disagree with that. You must not be watching Arkansas lately. She’s been playing out of her mind (in front of Catch).

I have been watching them. And I've watched Slocum since she was a Freshman. That's the thing. I always think she should be better than she 'is' IMO. She has flash and dash. But is she truly 'better' than Goodman? She has more assists but she has two premier players to pass it to get those assists. Her shooting isn't as good. And she's been really inconsistent thruout her career. JMO

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/28/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I have been watching them. And I've watched Slocum since she was a Freshman. That's the thing. I always think she should be better than she 'is' IMO. She has flash and dash. But is she truly 'better' than Goodman? She has more assists but she has two premier players to pass it to get those assists. Her shooting isn't as good. And she's been really inconsistent thruout her career. JMO

As good as Goodman has been this season, I too think Slocum would have a better chance at translating to the League than Goodman. Slocum is quicker and a better creator imo. Having been on three different teams (which is typically a red flag), you also have to wonder if as a PG, she would pick up a pro offense better than Goodman would. Also also, Slocum & Arkansas play a naturally faster style of play than Goodman & Oregon State, which would be another advantage to Slocum's chances at translating to the pros. Finally, while I disagree that Slocum has "been playing out of her mind", she has put together a solid season in her own right. Solid shooting %s. Great ATO. She doesn't average more assists because Arkansas' system is simply low on assisting (esp. with Dungee be able to create for herself so often) and low on turnovers. Both Slocum & Goodman are solid prospects this year, but I have to give the nod to Slocum as well. Would've been interesting had she stayed at Maryland all four years, since I think that's where she's looked the flashiest (also helped that she was a freshman that no one had really seen before – new shiny object). Guess that means she would've already been in the League, so... here we are. Smile

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/28/21 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/28/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

You’re right. I’d much rather have Goodman than Slocum as well. Slocum is putting up numbers because she’s in a system that encourages chucking up shots whenever you feel like it. To me, she looks like the same player she’s always been, but I guess a 2 game stretch of hot shooting despite being up and down all season constitutes as being “better” and “playing out your mind” Rolling Eyes

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

I might have to take a closer look at 6’6 Staiti. Georgia is playing tonight.

Her best attribute is that she's big, but doesn't move well and is not close to being in shape. I've seen her a few times and not been impressed.

Watched Staiti tonight. I didn’t hate her. She’s good got basketball smarts. Has that free throw jumper that WNBA coaches love. I can see her getting drafted. Maybe Wade wants to use that second round pick on a younger cheaper Dolson replacement.

Must be the golden touch. I mention Staiti and give her a favorable review, and she promptly goes OFF on Florida.

Staiti 30 pts (13-21, 2-3 3P, 2-2), 13 reb (4 off), 2 ast, 0 TO, 1 stl, 3 blk in 30 min

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/28/21 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the opinions on Goodman. I've watched her quite a bit in the past, but never really focused on her as a prospect. I had basically the same impression as everyone else -- great shooter and smart player, but her ballhandling and athleticism are a bit suspect. Still worth a look later in the draft.

PostPosted: 02/28/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
[Goodman]'s a true PG who can shoot lights out and ... her release seems to have gotten a bit quicker over time, and because she has had to do it all at times this season, she can shoot a little more off the dribble vs. only catch-and-shooting it, which is great!

As if on cue, this is what I was talking about, from tonight's game – though she has hit step-backers like these with the shot clock winding down a few times this season. The senior putting the freshman (who's at least 3 inches taller than Goodman) on skates, truly. 🥶I forgot to mention, the way she pulls her shoulders back ever so slightly as she releases her shot instead of letting her momentum carry her whole body forward like a majority of players seem to do – combined with her quicker release – might also mean her shot is less blockable than average. Another plus! Btw, Goodman finished tonight's game with 20 pts on 8-13 FG (2-3 3PT) & 2-2 FT along with 4 ast & 0 to's. (Here was the other 3PT make.)

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/01/21 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I like Goodman better than Kathleen Doyle, who went #14 in a better draft. So, who knows? It only takes one GM or coach who really likes a player for her to go higher than expected.

PostPosted: 03/01/21 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I think I like Goodman better than Kathleen Doyle, who went #14 in a better draft. So, who knows? It only takes one GM or coach who really likes a player for her to go higher than expected.

Yep, all it takes is one Catchings... Twisted Evil

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/01/21 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yep, all it takes is one Catchings... Twisted Evil

I seem to remember at midseason last year, you and I both thought Chanelle Molina was worth a middle-- maybe even a high -- 2nd Round pick. Then, she went into a shooting slump over the last month of the season and didn't get drafted. Well, Indiana recently signed Molina to a training camp contract -- probably to challenge high 2nd Round pick, Kathleen Doyle. So, that's vindication of sorts for us courtesy of Catchings. She's not always wrong. Wink

PostPosted: 03/01/21 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/nc-state-honors-syracuse-pg-tiana-mangakahia-with-trophy-before-play-4-kay-game-185517072.html

Quote:
Syracuse Orange point guard Tiana Mangakahia confirmed she will enter the 2021 WNBA draft, making Sunday's matchup against No. 2-ranked NC State her final game at the Dome.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/01/21 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/nc-state-honors-syracuse-pg-tiana-mangakahia-with-trophy-before-play-4-kay-game-185517072.html

Quote:
Syracuse Orange point guard Tiana Mangakahia confirmed she will enter the 2021 WNBA draft, making Sunday's matchup against No. 2-ranked NC State her final game at the Dome.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1640883#1640883

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 32 of 53

Jump to: