RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/13/20 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to split hairs, but England and Perez are both Grad Students. Both missed a season due to injury and are in their 5th collegiate year, 4th playing.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/13/20 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is also the possibility that some could choose to stay another year with the recent NCAA ruling. If they are not on track to graduate and needed another year or semester of classes or they want a masters degree or just love the college athlete life they could not turn pro.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/16/20 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers Hoops G Arella Guirantes: 'We have a lot of unfinished business'
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rutgers-hoops-g-arella-guirantes-we-have-a-lot-of-unfinished-business-

Quote:
“She's come back with a vengeance,” Rutgers legendary and Hall of Fame head coach C. Vivian Stringer said. “Her mindset is she wants to be the best that there possibly can be. She's one of only six Rutgers players that have had average double digit scoring and rebounding. I mean it's amazing, and she's come back as what she would say unfinished business. She's gotten in shape and she’s worked hard.

“She is just driven, driven, driven, driven to flat out get it done. She's such a great competitor.”

Quote:
Rutgers has had seven players go in the first round of the WNBA Draft. Cappie Pondexter in 2006 to the Phoenix Mercury was the highest to be selected at No. 2 overall.

Will Guirantes go No. 1 in 2021?

“Yeah, she has a chance. It's interesting,”Stringer said. “She couldn't be the first name but I hesitate to put that on her because I don't want her to feel bad if it [didn’t go like that]. We've had Olympians with the Cappie Pondexter or Essence Carson or Matee Ajavon, those players, you know, and Arella is every bit as good as all of them. Arella has a higher scoring average than then than all of them, but, but with that said she need to do she needs to be consistent because I'm sure that they're going to, especially if she's being drafted to a team that has already been successful, then they're going to look for her to yes increase her 3-point shooting, play some great defense and they know that they're going to get a great defensive player on that and she's bright, she's extremely bright on that side of it…”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/16/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 WNBA Draft Board: Preseason Top 25
Sizing up the 2021 class before the start of the 2020-21 college basketball season
Ben Dull (Floor Game)
November 16, 2020

Time for some disclaimers. These are subjective rankings. The main goal for this board is to provide a snapshot of the class at this point in time. Players can play their way up or down. I’m not necessarily aiming to project forward too much beyond what a player has already shown on tape. But if that’s what you see in some cases, then you’ve found some players that I really, really believe in as prospects.

Here we go: Floor Game’s Preseason Top 25 2021 WNBA Draft Board. Stats obtained via Her Hoop Stats.

https://floorgame.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-draft-preseason-top-25-big-board?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/16/20 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mentioned this in another thread, but Chelsey Perry is my darkhorse for the draft this year, and I think she could be the highest drafted American post. Her statline - 23 points, 8 boards, 2 assists, 2.7 blocks and 50-39-86 shooting - at a Power 5 school would be Lottery worthy.

Selena Lott is the other Mid-Major prospect I like. The thing this write-up doesn't mention is that her increased production came on the back of moving from the wing to Point Guard full time.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/17/20 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but Chelsey Perry is my darkhorse for the draft this year, and I think she could be the highest drafted American post.

I wouldn’t bet money on that. You’d have to hope Collier doesn’t declare and Mack is kidnapped by aliens.

PickledGinger wrote:
Her statline - 23 points, 8 boards, 2 assists, 2.7 blocks and 50-39-86 shooting - at a Power 5 school would be Lottery worthy.

That’s just it. She wasn’t at a Power 5 school, so it was easier to dial up those big stats.

11/11/19: @#10 MSU 2-11, 4 reb, 0 blk, 0 stl
11/14/19: @#23 GON 4-10, 8 reb, 0 blk, 1 stl
12/19/19: ...#06 LOU 5-15, 9 reb, 3 blk, 3 stl
12/29/19: @#20 ARK 7-13, 9 reb, 1 blk, 0 stl

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/18/20 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That’s just it. She wasn’t at a Power 5 school, so it was easier to dial up those big stats.

11/11/19: @#10 MSU 2-11, 4 reb, 0 blk, 0 stl
11/14/19: @#23 GON 4-10, 8 reb, 0 blk, 1 stl
12/19/19: ...#06 LOU 5-15, 9 reb, 3 blk, 3 stl
12/29/19: @#20 ARK 7-13, 9 reb, 1 blk, 0 stl

Yuge jump you took there from Power 5 to Top 25 as as sample size.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/18/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m slowly coming around to Bell Dull’s view that Rhyne Howard will enter the 2021 draft. At first, it seemed farfetched because the idea came out of the blue. Leaving early simply because you graduated has never happened before as far as anyone can remember. It's commonplace for players to graduate early, but they still stay for their fourth year of eligibility. Nonetheless, if you think about Howard’s particular situation there aren’t a lot of reasons why she should return to Kentucky. If Rhyne actually graduates, then staying for her degree is gone as a reason. She scored 23.4 ppg last year on .433/.382/.791 shooting. Forget about improving, if Howard simply approaches those numbers again this season, then she’ll likely be the #1 pick -- #2 at worst. Therefore, coming back to improve her game and draft position is not a motivating factor. Lastly, Kentucky has very little chance of winning a national championship in 2022. So, that pretty much eliminates all the reasons for staying. At this point, some poster usually jumps in and starts to rhapsodize about the joys of college life and how they would give their big toe or worship Satan just to be able to live so carefree for one more year. However, people have to remember that the grind for a serious athlete is very different from life for the average student. Athletes are required to get up very early in the morning to attend practice, and then they need to find more time to do physical training and to work on their own game. On weekends, they have to actually play games and half the time that involves traveling to another city. Athletes adhere to a very demanding schedule in order to fulfill both academic and sports requirements. In fact, when you listen to interviews with WNBA rookies, they often cite having a lot of free time as a major adjustment when they turn pro. Life as a professional is actually more leisurely than being an amateur -- provided you make the team.

PostPosted: 11/18/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also college life isn't much like college life at the moment, and may well not be for a while. Combined with the increased money now on offer, there are definitely more reasons to leave early than there used to be. I'd just like to see some hint that Howard's anywhere close to being on course to graduate early. I accept that it's more common than I previously thought, but it's still not standard for everyone. A lot of players who take a graduate course so they can use up their remaining eligibility missed a year along the way due to injury or transferring or whatever - so in academic terms it's 4+1 rather than 3+1.

There must be some basketball journalists left in Kentucky...

PostPosted: 11/18/20 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that I think about it a little more, I believe a lot of players are sort of in-between -- they graduate in 3.5 years. So, you hear about players taking graduate courses during their true 4th year, but it's only happening for part of the season. Using that as a starting point, I suppose it isn't much more of a stretch to finish in three years. Supposedly that's what Ionescu did. She wanted to have her degree before she left school, but she also wanted the option of entering the 2019 draft. In Sabrina's case, she met the birth-year age 22 requirement anyway so it didn't affect her draft status. However, she wanted to have that degree before leaving as a personal goal.

Another near-example would be Sabally. According to Wikipedia, she finished her final courses in August, which means it ran into the WNBA season. Again, it didn't affect Satou's draft status because she turned 22 this year, but it does show that she was close to graduating in three years. As GEF34 points out, you don't need to be an academic superstar to do it if you're hanging around campus during the summers. This is not to say that we actually know what Howard has or hasn't done.

PostPosted: 11/19/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does anyone have any idea of Howard could graduate early?

PostPosted: 11/20/20 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Gopher finds new home at Texas A&M
https://spokesman-recorder.com/2020/11/10/former-gopher-finds-new-home-at-texas-am/

Quote:
ESPN recently released its list of freshmen and transfers that will influence the upcoming 2020-21 women’s college basketball season. Senior Destiny Pitts is ranked fifth.

TAMU has her listed as a junior on the roster, but that must be a mistake. She spent 15 games in Minnesota as a junior.

Quote:
“I kind of knew when I left Minnesota I had a good chance I would play right away. I didn’t worry about that because of everything that happened. I knew with the proper paperwork [submitted], I would be able to play,” she said.

Yeah, I have a feeling somebody advised inexperienced Whalen to act like a tyrant in the interest of “building culture“.

Quote:
Asked if A&M fans might unfairly expect her to replace former star Chennedy Carter, who just completed her WNBA rookie season, Pitts replied, “I think right now I can form my own identity.”

She’ll have much better visibility as a draft prospect with the #13 ranked TAMU.

Quote:
Her parents are happy for her as well. “They are just excited to see me play again, especially since this is my last year. They know I am in a good environment.

Verification that this is her last season.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/23/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s ESPN’s updated and expanded college player ranking. They did a Top 10 immediately after the season ended back in April.

Charlie Creme, Graham Hays and Mechelle Voepel Come up with this list so you know some players are gonna fall through the cracks and this list may not be all that useful for draft evaluations.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30322884/ranking-top-25-players-women-college-basketball-2020-21

1. Rhyne Howard, Kentucky (Top junior)
2. Aari McDonald, Arizona (Top senior)
3. Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA
4. Aliyah Boston, South Carolina (Top sophomore)
5. Dana Evans, Louisville
6. Elissa Cunane, NC State
7. NaLyssa Smith, Baylor
8. Kiana Williams, Stanford
9. Ashley Joens, ISU
10. Christyn Williams, UConn
11. Destiny Slocum, Arkansas
12. Rennia Davis, Tennessee
13. Rickea Jackson, Mississippi St
14. Paige Bueckers, UConn (Top freshman)
15. Arella Guirantes, Rutgers
16. Evina Westbrook, UConn
17. Lindsey Pulliam, Northwestern
18. Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
19. Zia Cooke, South Carolina
20. Unique Thompson, Auburn
21. Haley Jones, Stanford
22. Kiara Lewis, Syracuse
23. Micaela Kelly, Central Michigan
24. Naz Hillmon, Michigan
25. Ali Patberg, Indiana

Seeing that Charlie Creme is involved with this, he’s a heavy metrics guy so this seems like more of a “what have you done for me lately” kind of list instead of a visionary list.

For instance, even though Nyara Sabally hasn’t stepped on the college court, isn’t being Satou’s sister enough to give her some Top 25 street cred?

Even though Rennia Davis plays for underperforming Tennessee, shouldn’t she get more credit for being a top college recruit? Has she really not lived up to it that much?

Same for Haley Jones. #1 recruit last year but #21 on this list. She was hurt, so it’s what have you done for me lately.

They rank Kiara Lewis ahead of teammate Tiana Mangakahia. What have you done for me lately?

They dropped Westbrook from #8 in April to #16 now. I guess they figured out she might not even be starting.

I know ranking college players may be somewhat different than ranking WNBA prospects, and a great college player may not be even a good WNBA prospect, but I would think my projected lottery pick of Collier would be good enough to make a college Top 25 list. Need a new dartboard, ESPN.

Last edited by Shades on 11/26/20 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 11/25/20 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier is not even in the top 25?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/25/20 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So does anyone have any idea of Howard could graduate early?

she just got suspended for three games for breaking team rules. That may be an indicator she's not that excited about staying in school. Or not.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 11/25/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she really wants to turn pro couldn't she sign a contract with an overseas team and then enter the draft?

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/25/20 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If she really wants to turn pro couldn't she sign a contract with an overseas team and then enter the draft?

Once you’ve played NCAA games, then to enter the draft you have to be 22 or use up your eligibility or graduate. That’s why we had the discussion about whether or not Howard is graduating. She only turns 21 next year and will have used only three years of eligibility. At this point, I can’t even remember who started the idea that Howard might graduate early. But that’s how her name came up, and Ben Dull is doing pre-draft articles with her in the pool.

PostPosted: 11/25/20 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shyla Heal interview
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fo4em4P1Yfw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Brief WNBA mention at 21:30

PostPosted: 11/26/20 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Once you’ve played NCAA games, then to enter the draft you have to be 22 or use up your eligibility or graduate. That’s why we had the discussion about whether or not Howard is graduating. She only turns 21 next year and will have used only three years of eligibility. At this point, I can’t even remember who started the idea that Howard might graduate early. But that’s how her name came up, and Ben Dull is doing pre-draft articles with her in the pool.

For an American or a non-American born in the United States, the 22 set of rules applies whether or not you go to college, hence the Jocyte two year delay that I am sure will be more widely discussed in a few years.
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/26/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

For an American or a non-American born in the United States, the 22 set of rules applies whether or not you go to college, hence the Jocyte two year delay that I am sure will be more widely discussed in a few years.

I was addressing Howard's situation specifically. Obviously, if you don't go to college you can't graduate early or use up your eligibility. It does seem unfair to the American who doesn't want to go to college or can't get into a school because of academics. I guess we haven't seen it yet because some college out there -- at least a junior college -- will always find a way around the academics in order to get a player on the team. However, in theory, if you have a streetball legend or great AAU player who doesn't want to go to college, they should have the option to play overseas and become an "international player."

That vague international player wording should be enough to cover Jocyte. I can see the WNBA making another one of their unannounced, ad hoc rulings. To their credit, at least recently, the league office has shown a tendency to do what's practical rather than what's bureaucratic.

PostPosted: 11/26/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
That vague international player wording should be enough to cover Jocyte. I can see the WNBA making another one of their unannounced, ad hoc rulings. To their credit, at least recently, the league office has shown a tendency to do what's practical rather than what's bureaucratic.

The problem is that it isn't all that vague. It just states that "an 'international player' means any person born and residing outside the United States who participates in the game of basketball as an amateur or a professional." So if she was born in the US, there's really no interpretation where she'd qualify. Which is dumb. But the draft eligibility rules have always been pretty dumb, it's just that no one's had the inclination/need/money to challenge them.

PostPosted: 11/26/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

The problem is that it isn't all that vague. It just states that "an 'international player' means any person born and residing outside the United States who participates in the game of basketball as an amateur or a professional." So if she was born in the US, there's really no interpretation where she'd qualify. Which is dumb. But the draft eligibility rules have always been pretty dumb, it's just that no one's had the inclination/need/money to challenge them.

My mistake, I quickly skimmed the entire eligibility section and missed the full definition. However, I'd be surprised if the league doesn't make an exception for people like Jocyte. If she is simply a birthright citizen who lived here briefly as a baby and otherwise had nothing to do with the United States, the league would look bad being so nitpicky.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s Collier’s stat line today against North Texas.
Collier 44 pts (14-17, 2-2 3P, 14-15 FT), 16 reb (6 off), 2 blk, 1 stl in 34 min

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FEbpfp1es9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She’s up to 69 pts in 2 gm’s/53 min.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here’s Collier’s stat line today against North Texas.
Collier 44 pts (14-17, 2-2 3P, 14-15 FT), 16 reb (6 off), 2 blk, 1 stl in 34 min

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FEbpfp1es9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She’s up to 69 pts in 2 gm’s/53 min.

Ill be more ecstatic when she does it against better competition than SMU & North Texas. Either way she showed up to play & that's all that matters !

PostPosted: 11/30/20 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lottery is Friday, December 4th. Will be revealed at halftime of DePaul-Louisville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 10 of 53

Jump to: