RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5782



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/09/20 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://floorgame.substack.com/p/early-2021-wnba-draft-lottery-primer

at the bottom of the article in the portion titled "The class" they say it is possible that Rhyne Howard might graduate early

I know she is too young to be in the draft as an early but if she graduates early does that mean she is eligible?


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22590
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/09/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
https://floorgame.substack.com/p/early-2021-wnba-draft-lottery-primer

at the bottom of the article in the portion titled "The class" they say it is possible that Rhyne Howard might graduate early

I know she is too young to be in the draft as an early but if she graduates early does that mean she is eligible?

If she was genuinely about to graduate around the time of the draft, from a four-year program, and then renounced her remaining eligibility, then yes that's another way to make yourself eligible. In practice, I don't think that method has ever been utilised by anyone who's just been in college for three years and taken enough classes to graduate early.

As far as know there's no indication that Howard is some kind of super-student who's going to break the mould in that area.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6026
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/09/20 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Regardless of age, if a player doesn't start in the WNBL, it's hard to see her having an immediate impact in the WNBA.


I don't have an opinion about Heal since I've barely seen her. However, if you’re using “immediate impact in the WNBA” as the criteria, I don’t see any American college players who clearly meet that standard either. And we’re talking about players who are 22/23 years old or even older.

As for the concept of drafting young, foreign bench players, it’s been fairly common in the NBA since at least the 2002 draft.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
https://floorgame.substack.com/p/early-2021-wnba-draft-lottery-primer

at the bottom of the article in the portion titled "The class" they say it is possible that Rhyne Howard might graduate early

I know she is too young to be in the draft as an early but if she graduates early does that mean she is eligible?

If she was genuinely about to graduate around the time of the draft, from a four-year program, and then renounced her remaining eligibility, then yes that's another way to make yourself eligible. In practice, I don't think that method has ever been utilised by anyone who's just been in college for three years and taken enough classes to graduate early.

As far as know there's no indication that Howard is some kind of super-student who's going to break the mould in that area.


If she does , she will be the #1 pick in either draft this year or next.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13748
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/20 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
https://floorgame.substack.com/p/early-2021-wnba-draft-lottery-primer

at the bottom of the article in the portion titled "The class" they say it is possible that Rhyne Howard might graduate early

I know she is too young to be in the draft as an early but if she graduates early does that mean she is eligible?

If she was genuinely about to graduate around the time of the draft, from a four-year program, and then renounced her remaining eligibility, then yes that's another way to make yourself eligible. In practice, I don't think that method has ever been utilised by anyone who's just been in college for three years and taken enough classes to graduate early.

As far as know there's no indication that Howard is some kind of super-student who's going to break the mould in that area.


It’s not uncommon these days for student-athletes to finish their degrees in 3 years and their 4th year being graduate students since a lot of players are staying on campus for summer practices they are also doing summer school. This doesn’t require you to be a “super student” so to speak. An example of this recently would be Minyon Moore graduated USC in 3 years, played her 4th year at Oregon. It was also mentioned Sabrina Ionescu and Satou Sabally graduated from Oregon with Bachelor’s degrees in 3 years.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 18237
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Regardless of age, if a player doesn't start in the WNBL, it's hard to see her having an immediate impact in the WNBA.


I will always defer to Hellcat and Luuuc on all matters AUS/WNBL, but I am inclined to agree with Clay's position. The WNBL is not like a limited minutes or minutes restriction on young players among EuroLeague teams on the men's side.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6026
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heal came off the bench, but she played 25 mpg. That's starter-type minutes or at least a sixth woman. And again, she was only 18 years old. That's a college freshman or a high school senior in some parts of this country. Many coaches are reluctant to start players that young even if they're talented. I'm sure there are a lot of WNBA players who didn't start as freshmen for their college teams. Was the WNBL better than a P5 Conference last year? Overall, I would say yes. There were individual college players who had more talent than anyone in the WNBL, but as a league the WNBL had more depth.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5782



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If all the rumors came to pass 2021 wouldn't be that weak of a draft

1. NY Howard
2. Atl Collier
3. Dallas Davis
4. Indy Austin
5. Dallas Mack
6. PX McDonald
7. Dallas Westbrook
8. Chi Evans
9. Minn Kuier
10. LA Onyenwere
11. Sea Mangakahia
12. LV Guirantes

13. Dallas Richards
14. Indy Gray
15. Conn Boley
16. LA Slocum
17. NY Rupert

Carrington, Dungee, Thompson, Jones, K. Williams, Heal, Pulliam, Patberg,


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10591



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If all the rumors came to pass 2021 wouldn't be that weak of a draft

1. NY Howard
2. Atl Collier
3. Dallas Davis
4. Indy Austin
5. Dallas Mack
6. PX McDonald
7. Dallas Westbrook
8. Chi Evans
9. Minn Kuier
10. LA Onyenwere
11. Sea Mangakahia
12. LV Guirantes

13. Dallas Richards
14. Indy Gray
15. Conn Boley
16. LA Slocum
17. NY Rupert

Carrington, Dungee, Thompson, Jones, K. Williams, Heal, Pulliam, Patberg,


I disagree, but I could be wrong. I just don't see any future all-stars in this draft.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
If all the rumors came to pass 2021 wouldn't be that weak of a draft

1. NY Howard
2. Atl Collier
3. Dallas Davis
4. Indy Austin
5. Dallas Mack
6. PX McDonald
7. Dallas Westbrook
8. Chi Evans
9. Minn Kuier
10. LA Onyenwere
11. Sea Mangakahia
12. LV Guirantes

13. Dallas Richards
14. Indy Gray
15. Conn Boley
16. LA Slocum
17. NY Rupert

Carrington, Dungee, Thompson, Jones, K. Williams, Heal, Pulliam, Patberg,


I disagree, but I could be wrong. I just don't see any future all-stars in this draft.


I see 1 , possibly 3 at most .

Howard - For sure

Davis - Possibly
Westbrook - Possibly



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10591



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Howard was definitely not eligible for this year's draft ...

But even so, and even as good a shooter as she is, I'm not sure I see an all-star. She doesn't look blindingly athletic, and isn't a great passer.

Victoria Vivians had much the same look, to me, and is taller. Now Vivians has struggled with injuries, so maybe that's the explanation -- or maybe I'm wrong, and Howard is a better player. If so, what does Howard do better than Vivians?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I thought Howard was definitely not eligible for this year's draft ...

But even so, and even as good a shooter as she is, I'm not sure I see an all-star. She doesn't look blindingly athletic, and isn't a great passer.

Victoria Vivians had much the same look, to me, and is taller. Now Vivians has struggled with injuries, so maybe that's the explanation -- or maybe I'm wrong, and Howard is a better player. If so, what does Howard do better than Vivians?


Howard has takeover ability . Look up U-19 World Championships USA vs Australia . That was before she became who she is now , i wouldn't pass on her!



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 728



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Victoria Vivians had much the same look, to me, and is taller. Now Vivians has struggled with injuries, so maybe that's the explanation -- or maybe I'm wrong, and Howard is a better player. If so, what does Howard do better than Vivians?


In what world? Howard is visibly 6-2. Watching highlights she appears to be the same height as Rennia Davis, and more muscular. Vivians might be 6-1 with shoes on.

Howard last season: .433 fg%, .382 3-point fg%, 158 free throw attempts, 2.4 assists
Vivian's sophomore season: .382 fg%, .309 3-point fg%, 97 free throw attempts, 1.0 assists.

I mean, come on. No comparison.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5782



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Howard as a bigger more efficient Diamond Deshields, which IMO means she will be a really good WNBA player.

(The article at the top of the page states that Howard may be on her way to graduating at the end of this year which would make her eligible.)

All I was really saying (and it is all just rumor) is this draft is a heck of a lot better if Howard, Collier, Austin and Westbrook all end up in, than it would be without them.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22590
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
(The article at the top of the page states that Howard may be on her way to graduating at the end of this year which would make her eligible.)

Just to be clear, he throws out the possibility that it could happen. He doesn't suggest that there's any evidence that it's likely to or on course to.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5782



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/11/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
(The article at the top of the page states that Howard may be on her way to graduating at the end of this year which would make her eligible.)

Just to be clear, he throws out the possibility that it could happen. He doesn't suggest that there's any evidence that it's likely to or on course to.


Granted.

But he specifically put Howard's name out there. It is not like he said players like Howard, Williams, Egbo, Balogun, S. Prince or N. Smith could graduate.

it sounds like he is at least basing it on something he may have heard not just a musing. That isn't to say he couldn't be full of it or just plain wrong but it doesn't sound like a completely random statement either.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I see Howard as a bigger more efficient Diamond Deshields, which IMO means she will be a really good WNBA player.

(The article at the top of the page states that Howard may be on her way to graduating at the end of this year which would make her eligible.)

All I was really saying (and it is all just rumor) is this draft is a heck of a lot better if Howard, Collier, Austin and Westbrook all end up in, than it would be without them.


Nice comparison , but i dont see Howard with Deshields uber athleticism or quickness . Howard is more of a James Harden type to me , her size is what excites me the most and the fact she can create her own shot and knock down 3's at a consistent rate as well . Think upgraded Marissa Coleman !



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10591



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I see Howard as a bigger more efficient Diamond Deshields, which IMO means she will be a really good WNBA player.

(The article at the top of the page states that Howard may be on her way to graduating at the end of this year which would make her eligible.)

All I was really saying (and it is all just rumor) is this draft is a heck of a lot better if Howard, Collier, Austin and Westbrook all end up in, than it would be without them.


Nice comparison , but i dont see Howard with Deshields uber athleticism or quickness . Howard is more of a James Harden type to me , her size is what excites me the most and the fact she can create her own shot and knock down 3's at a consistent rate as well . Think upgraded Marissa Coleman !


Thanks to all for the info ... I didn't realize how tall she was, and that makes a big difference. Also, comparing sophomore seasons makes a difference, as Vivians' last college season was much better.

The athleticism issue does seem like it could limit her ceiling, but if she can continue to shoot that well from distance, she'll be a factor.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6026
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is also an age difference. Vivians entered the draft in the year she turned 24, although she has a late birthday (November). Consequently, she was a year and a half older than Howard was as a sophomore. Howard has an April birthday. She will be 21 if she enters the draft next year or 22 if she stays on schedule.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55146



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I like Gondrezick, but she would have to get into better shape to play at the next level. I’m not sure she cares enough.


I love it when a prospect listens!

https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/kysre-gondrezick-west-virginia/

Quote:
Mike Carey put the players through conditioning practices. He wanted to ease the team back into shape after so many months on the couch. Most of the players crossed the finish line without heaving. But one player, he found, kept finishing in first: redshirt senior Kysre Gondrezick.

The reason is simple. Over quarantine, Gondrezick says, “I went to work.”

And she lost 45 pounds with it.


Quote:
When she wasn’t hooping, Gondrezick was probably cooking tuna, catfish or grilled chicken with spinach. To drop the weight, she had to fix her diet first.


Quote:
“I don’t know anybody on our team who worked as hard as she did this past summer,” Carey says. “She’s ready to have a big year.”

“She’s getting up and down the floor great,” says Carey. “She’s leaving her feet defensively a lot better than she did last year. She’s excited about defense more than she was last year. I can see it too, her feet are a lot quicker.”


Recent conference call.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qptjl-uegUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I now make her my under-the-radar (Spooner didn’t even have her in the Top 25) prospect to watch.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55146



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

15. Conn Boley
16. LA Slocum
17. NY Rupert

Carrington, Dungee, Thompson, Jones, K. Williams, Heal, Pulliam, Patberg,


I’m surprised myrtle didn’t chirp up when Boley is listed at #15 while Carrington and Kiana Williams are listed as honorable mentions. You know why players transfer to Baylor? It’s to up their draft stock.

I really like Kiana Williams. She has displayed the clutch gene big time in that game against Colorado and I’m sure that wasn’t the first time and it won’t be the last. Coaches love the clutch gene.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U6c58MSHh_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyIHJvfxeTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She recognizes it’ll take a lot of hard work to make it to the WNBA. Not every prospect realizes this.

Junior highlights
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aoc3YFv7Qb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5782



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/12/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

15. Conn Boley
16. LA Slocum
17. NY Rupert

Carrington, Dungee, Thompson, Jones, K. Williams, Heal, Pulliam, Patberg,


I’m surprised myrtle didn’t chirp up when Boley is listed at #15 while Carrington and Kiana Williams are listed as honorable mentions. You know why players transfer to Baylor? It’s to up their draft stock.

I really like Kiana Williams. She has displayed the clutch gene big time in that game against Colorado and I’m sure that wasn’t the first time and it won’t be the last. Coaches love the clutch gene.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U6c58MSHh_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyIHJvfxeTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She recognizes it’ll take a lot of hard work to make it to the WNBA. Not every prospect realizes this.

Junior highlights
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aoc3YFv7Qb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


I think Boley gets a bounce simply because she is a post and if you remove the early entries, heck even with the early entries this draft is really low on true posts.

Decent guards and wings always fall lower than expected because there are simply more of them; this year Dangerfield, Cooper, Charles, to a lesser extent Agnew, Johnson, Sutton. While posts and big wings jump up the board because of need and size Alarie, MHH, Shook, Brewer, Willoughby, Odom of course with mystery posts falling like Holmes, Mompremier and Gillespie, but Holmes and Mompremier got picked up of the wire because size is just more of a need in the W than Guards atm.


PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 728



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/13/20 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boley isn't a post, she's big wing that does one thing well...shoot 3s. I don't think she has anyother WNBA level skills. She might lead Oregon through leadership and shooting cosistancy, but she isn't goint to be their MVP this year. If she does end up making an impact on the next level it will be as a less-athletic version of Shekinna Stricklen.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55146



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/13/20 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://wtop.com/ncaa-basketball/2020/11/womens-preseason-all-america-team/

The Associated Press’ 2020-21 preseason All-America women’s basketball team, with school, height, year and votes from a 30-member national media panel (key 2019-20 statistics in parentheses):

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, 6-2, junior, 30 of 30 votes (23.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 38.2 3-point pct)

Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, sophomore, 30 of 30 votes (12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 60.9 fg pct)

Aari McDonald Arizona, 5-6, senior, 27 of 30 votes (20.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 79.1 ft pct)

Dana Evans, Louisville, 5-6, senior, 23 of 30 votes (18.1 ppg, 4.2 apg, 89.0 ft pct)

Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, 6-0, senior, 16 of 30 votes (19.1 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 46.9 fg pct)

Others receiving votes: Elissa Cunane, N.C. State 11; NaLyssa Smith, Baylor 5; Ashley Joens, Iowa State 4; Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse 1; Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn 1; Christyn Williams, UConn 1; Kiana Williams, Stanford 1.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55146



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/13/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lieberman Watch List
Destiny Slocum Arkansas
DiDi Richards Baylor
Dyaisha Fair Buffalo
Micaela Kelly Central Michigan
Paige Bueckers Connecticut
Tiana England Florida State
Ali Patberg Indiana
Tra'Dayja Smith Longwood
Hailey Van Lith Louisville
Amy Dilk Michigan
Myah Taylor Missippi State
Raina Perez NC State
Cece Hooks Ohio
Diamond Johnson Rutgers
Nevena Dimitrijevic St. Francis - Brooklyn
Tiana Mangakahia Syracuse
Lauren Heard TCU
Kyra Lambert Texas
Dru Gylten Utah
Katia Gallegos UTEP

Senior/Grad
Draft eligible



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 11/13/20 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin