RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/15/21 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Dal - Charlie Collier (I wouldn't but I think they will)
2. Dal - Awak Kuier (Very talented, major upside. Foreigner so she may not show up consistently. Will be nice once she gets stronger)
3. Atl - Rennia Davis (I think ATL is the best place for her)
4. Ind - Arella Guirantes (I can see Evans here but I think Indy will go with the bigger guard maybe Dungee?)
5. Dal - Chelsea Dungee (Dal needs shooting but I feel like this pick is gonna be a shocker)
6. Ny - Natasha Mack (She reminds me of a younger Natasha Howard. Walker seems like a Liberty player also)
7. LA - Dana Evans (Would love to have Dungee here but Idk if she makes it past 5th.)
8. Chi - Aari McDonald (Idk if she slides this low but she could be the steal of the draft if she does)
9. Min - Jasmine Walker (I can see Minn taking the French center as a deferred pick here.)
10. LA - Michaela Onyenwere (Just to make someone happy. Lol. I would prefer Carrington but I bet Fisher messes it up and goes with DiDi)
11. Sea - Kiana Williams (Bird is up there in age and Canada will need a backup soon. Can also see Richards or Carrington here)
12. LV - Carrington (With McBride gone they could use some perimeter help. Good defender.)

PostPosted: 04/15/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t know if anyone the Lynx pick at 9 will be able to make the team since they will be going with 11 players this season so I’m guessing they will be trading the pick if I had to guess.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
2. Dal - Awak Kuier (Very talented, major upside. Foreigner so she may not show up consistently. Will be nice once she gets stronger)
4. Ind - Arella Guirantes (I can see Evans here but I think Indy will go with the bigger guard maybe Dungee?)
5. Dal - Chelsea Dungee (Dal needs shooting but I feel like this pick is gonna be a shocker)
6. Ny - Natasha Mack (She reminds me of a younger Natasha Howard. Walker seems like a Liberty player also)
7. LA - Dana Evans (Would love to have Dungee here but Idk if she makes it past 5th.)
8. Chi - Aari McDonald (Idk if she slides this low but she could be the steal of the draft if she does)
9. Min - Jasmine Walker (I can see Minn taking the French center as a deferred pick here.)
10. LA - Michaela Onyenwere (Just to make someone happy. Lol. I would prefer Carrington but I bet Fisher messes it up and goes with DiDi)
11. Sea - Kiana Williams (Bird is up there in age and Canada will need a backup soon. Can also see Richards or Carrington here)
12. LV - Carrington (With McBride gone they could use some perimeter help. Good defender.)

Very realistic...

PostPosted: 04/15/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:

Very realistic...

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
An important question: How do you pronounce Awak Kuier?

Here's the official W 2021 draft pronunciation guide

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A reporter asked Reeve about Jasmine Walker since a mock had her at #9.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iSRCvN8ywAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me, Walker is too much like Herbert Harrigan, who Reeve was happy to send packing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still looking for the "d" in Onyenwere.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iSRCvN8ywAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me, Walker is too much like Herbert Harrigan, who Reeve was happy to send packing.

Di Di Richards
Carrington

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Yeah, that one jumped out at me above. I always figured that when it came out like that in commentary people were just really overdoing the 'where-ay' pronunciation.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

So this is gonna sound weird but, while making a continuous “ehh” sound, try touching your tongue really fast to where the back of your two front teeth meets the roof of your mouth. Sonically, it’s sort of a cross between a soft “t” and a soft “d” sound. That’s sort of the phonetics of saying the “ere” in “Onyenwere”. A similar sound is used with single “r”s in the Spanish language amongst others, but unfortunately it’s a sound that just doesn’t exist within the English lexicon.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/15/21 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yeah, that one jumped out at me above. I always figured that when it came out like that in commentary people were just really overdoing the 'where-ay' pronunciation.

I long for the old days when her name was pronounced as "Onion-ware".

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So this is gonna sound weird but, while making a continuous “ehh” sound, try touching your tongue really fast to where the back of your two front teeth meets the roof of your mouth. Sonically, it’s sort of a cross between a soft “t” and a soft “d” sound. That’s sort of the phonetics of saying the “ere” in “Onyenwere”. A similar sound is used with single “r”s in the Spanish language amongst others, but unfortunately it’s just not within the English lexicon.

I was just kidding. I had a Polish-American roommate who was always trying to teach me how the "w" in his name was more like an "f". Then there are all the traditional Irish names like Caoimhín, which is pronounced as "Kwee-Veen."

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

reeve kept it real, I think she probably passes on walker.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So this is gonna sound weird but, while making a continuous “ehh” sound, try touching your tongue really fast to where the back of your two front teeth meets the roof of your mouth. Sonically, it’s sort of a cross between a soft “t” and a soft “d” sound. That’s sort of the phonetics of saying the “ere” in “Onyenwere”. A similar sound is used with single “r”s in the Spanish language amongst others, but unfortunately it’s just not within the English lexicon.

I was just kidding. I had a Polish-American roommate who was always trying to teach me how the "w" in his name was more like an "f". Then there are all the traditional Irish names like Caoimhín, which is pronounced as "Kwee-Veen."

Oh, gotcha lol. Well, for anyone who actually is having trouble pronouncing it, there’s my attempt at a pro-tip. Laughing It’s handy for the Polish “W” thing that their capital/most well-known city Warsaw has the example in its name, so no one has to search for obscure words in trying to pronounce it. I can’t (and choose not to) even fathom Irish lmao.

Now with Awak Kuier’s name, I thought I’ve heard her pronounce it in sort of that same “W as a V/soft F” delivery, but in the pronunciation guide above, it’s not there. Confused Her literal name will be interesting to hear said tonight, along with all of the commentators saying whichever French prospects’ names get called tonight in a sort of almost-mocking way. I can already see the fun they’re about to have with those. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/15/21 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay asked the same question in February, and Richyyy responded with a video link:

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
An important question: How do you pronounce Awak Kuier?

She says it herself right at the start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNWJLAI-IY (also illustrating that she certainly wouldn't have any issue with a language barrier in the US).

To me, it sounded like Ah-voc Gweer. The whole discussion is on page 26 of this same thread:

http://www.boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=625&sid=5ac1b6199ebf526f1866577acb3726f7

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Oh, gotcha lol. Well, for anyone who actually is having trouble pronouncing it, there’s my attempt at a pro-tip. Laughing It’s handy for the Polish “W” thing that their capital/most well-known city Warsaw has the example in its name, so no one has to search for obscure words in trying to pronounce it. I can’t (and choose not to) even fathom Irish lmao.

Warsaw doesn't help much when the Western pronunciation is war-saw but the Polish is more like var-shar-va. From the list above, my reflex prounciation of Kucowski would be either Kuh-cov-ski or Kuh-coff-ski. Only her American-ness puts the cow in the middle Wink.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Warsaw doesn't help much when the Western pronunciation is war-saw but the Polish is more like var-shar-va. From the list above, my reflex prounciation of Kucowski would be either Kuh-cov-ski or Kuh-coff-ski. Only her American-ness puts the cow in the middle Wink.

I was talking about anyone who actually cared enough to want to learn how to pronounce the Polish “w”. Otherwise, yeah, it’s literally just a compound word in English. Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Clay asked the same question in February

Actually, I'm not seeing where Clay asked this question a second time. pilight, are you responding two months late?

My apologies to Clay.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

She didn't pull any punches. Reeve essentially said a lot of these players will be lucky to make it through their 4-year rookie contract.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Kysre really pronounced like "Kaizer"? That is a BAD baby name, expecially for a girl. That's the ugliest possible pronunciation of that word. Not only is it evocative of male dictatorship, it also just makes me think of my health insurance. I thought it was "KIZ-rah".

Last edited by PickledGinger on 04/15/21 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Is Kysre really pronounced like "Kaiser"? That's a discgusting baby name, expecially for a girl. That's the ugliest possible pronunciation of that word. I thought it was "KIZ-rah".

I thought it was like Desire with a K.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

She didn't pull any punches. Reeve essentially said a lot of these players will be lucky to make it through their 4-year rookie contract.

Exactly, and to be fair the areas of need for Walker that Reeve touched on- rebounding and using her length to block shots and get steals, I mean she averaged 9.9rpg (2.4 offensive) and along with blocks increased pretty much each season the more minutes she played.

The games I saw her play I wasn’t wowed by her defense or boxing out, but she’s athletic so the natural tools are there. I just wonder if at times she was tired or conserving energy, because their offensive sets called for her running all over the court around screens trying to get the ball (as a 6’3 forward).

I think she’s the perfect ‘4’ for the Liberty system and would be happy to have her. But if Mack is there I want her over Walker.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Exactly, and to be fair the areas of need for Walker that Reeve touched on- rebounding and using her length to block shots and get steals, I mean she averaged 9.9rpg (2.4 offensive) and along with blocks increased pretty much each season the more minutes she played.

The games I saw her play I wasn’t wowed by her defense or boxing out, but she’s athletic so the natural tools are there. I just wonder if at times she was tired or conserving energy, because their offensive sets called for her running all over the court around screens trying to get the ball (as a 6’3 forward).

I think she’s the perfect ‘4’ for the Liberty system and would be happy to have her. But if Mack is there I want her over Walker.

Walker is a tremendous prospect on paper -- 40% 3pt shooter, built like Kiah Stokes, and her other numbers aren't bad. But when you watch Jasmine in games, she seems to be lacking in the intangibles -- such as toughness, big-play ability, and basketball IQ. Like you, my preference is for Mack but I could live with Walker. You just hope the coaches can light a fire under her and change her mindset.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Walker is a tremendous prospect on paper -- 40% 3pt shooter, built like Kiah Stokes, and her other numbers aren't bad. But when you watch Jasmine in games, she seems to be lacking in the intangibles -- such as toughness, big-play ability, and basketball IQ. Like you, my preference is for Mack but I could live with Walker. You just hope the coaches can light a fire under her and change her mindset.

Right! For someone who puts up essentially 20 and 10 she can be invisible at times. The impact isn’t always there when you want that from your ‘star’ player.
Thankfully for us she would have some time to learn from a tough player like Howard, and hopefully develop those consistent winning habits.

Watch us draft Evans Laughing Crying or Very sad
Which I don’t mind because, yes Ionescu could play the 2. But I would really rather add another ‘true’ post here.
Try for a combo guard at 17. Goodman, Lott, Gondrezick.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing against Dana Evans, but four Louisville players in three years would be a pattern -- and a dumb pattern. That's the one pick that would drive me crazy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 52 of 53

Jump to: