RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/03/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
What I meant was Dallas is in the state of Texas. Collier is a star at Texas. Therefore, in a draft where there is no clear #1 ... why wouldn't you take a local player? I don't particularly like her as a #1 but obviously I'm in the minority.

Funny enough, Natasha Mack's listed hometown (Lufkin, TX – about a 3.5-hr drive from Arlington) is actually closer to the Wings' organization/arena than Charli Collier's listed hometown (Mont Belvieu, TX – about a 4.5-hr drive from Arlington).

Although, there's also the argument that some of the Texas WBB fanbase would travel to see Collier play for the Wings. Still, Austin is also 3+ hours away from Arlington, so if any of them were to make the drive, it probably wouldn't be regularly.

At any rate, Dallas still holds both Top-2 picks. As the girl in that one taco commercial says, ¿Por qué no los dos? Razz

Last edited by Stormeo on 03/03/21 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Not that simple. I have some very loved friends living in Texas. I don't hate Texas or Texans. I particularly have enjoyed visiting San Antonio. I have particularly not liked visiting Houston. Dallas is fairly neutral. That is all irrelevant.

But in a year where there is no clear #1 why wouldn't you take a local player? I don't particularly like her as a #1 but obviously I'm in the minority.

Well, since it seems to be almost impossible to get any of the top vets to sign with Dallas, we have no other option to get a big, and I for one, have no issue with selecting Collier at #1 or #15 for that matter....what's the worst thing that can happen for us that hasn't already???

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/03/21 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Not that simple. I have some very loved friends living in Texas. I don't hate Texas or Texans. I particularly have enjoyed visiting San Antonio. I have particularly not liked visiting Houston. Dallas is fairly neutral. That is all irrelevant.

But in a year where there is no clear #1 why wouldn't you take a local player? I don't particularly like her as a #1 but obviously I'm in the minority.

Well, since it seems to be almost impossible to get any of the top vets to sign with Dallas, we have no other option to get a big, and I for one, have no issue with selecting Collier at #1 or #15 for that matter....what's the worst thing that can happen for us that hasn't already???

Cue Collier being a diva because she wants out in 2025 lol

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
What I meant was Dallas is in the state of Texas. Collier is a star at Texas. Therefore, in a draft where there is no clear #1 ... why wouldn't you take a local player? I don't particularly like her as a #1 but obviously I'm in the minority.

Funny enough, Natasha Mack's listed hometown (Lufkin, TX – about a 3.5-hr drive from Arlington) is actually closer to the Wings' organization/arena than Charli Collier's listed hometown (Mont Belvieu, TX – about a 4.5-hr drive from Arlington).

Although, there's also the argument that some of the Texas WBB fanbase would travel to see Collier play for the Wings. Still, Austin is also 3+ hours away from Arlington, so if any of them were to make the drive, it probably wouldn't be regularly.

At any rate, Dallas still holds both Top-2 picks. As the girl in that one taco commercial says, ¿Por qué no los dos? Razz

agree. They can take both and get help in other areas with their other two picks. It's too bad for Dallas that this is a pretty weak draft but there still should be some help. I'm happy for them that they re-signed Gray and Thornton, two of my most favorite players.

As far as travel, I'm guessing that there is also a substantial UTex fan base in Dallas, but maybe that's just based on my knowledge about Oregon, where the two schools both have statewide support. There are quite a few more universities in Texas so maybe it's not the same there.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Cue Collier being a diva because she wants out in 2025 lol

Don't jynx us...you know how our luck is 😪

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

agree. They can take both and get help in other areas with their other two picks. It's too bad for Dallas that this is a pretty weak draft but there still should be some help. I'm happy for them that they re-signed Gray and Thornton, two of my most favorite players.

As far as travel, I'm guessing that there is also a substantial UTex fan base in Dallas, but maybe that's just based on my knowledge about Oregon, where the two schools both have statewide support. There are quite a few more universities in Texas so maybe it's not the same there.

No, it's not the same! I've been here over 17yrs now and have met very few people who are fans of or supports UT.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No, it's not the same! I've been here over 17yrs now and have met very few people who are fans of or supports UT.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/03/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

For Oregon and Oregon State, it also helps that A) they're the only major schools in the state, so it's more natural for Portland being the biggest city to have some school fanbases living there, and B) each university is only about a 1.5-hr drive from Portland, almost entirely along I-5 – much less than a 3.5-hr drive. Cities & towns in Texas are simply much more spread out from each other.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/03/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That’s strange. I know quite a few UT fans/graduates that live in the Dallas area. I wanna say the Dallas chapter of the UT alumni association is one of the largest. Nonetheless, Collier herself said she got tons of notifications from people in her life once it was announced Dallas had the #1 pick. So I’m sure she’d have a fair share of support.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That’s strange. I know quite a few UT fans/graduates that live in the Dallas area. I wanna say the Dallas chapter of the UT alumni association is one of the largest. Nonetheless, Collier herself said she got tons of notifications from people in her life once it was announced Dallas had the #1 pick. So I’m sure she’d have a fair share of support.

I guess you know more than I do because I can count on one hand the number of people who cares one way or the other about the University of Texas and it's sports programs!

Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 Nancy Lieberman Award (PG) Finalists
+Aari McDonald Arizona
DiDi Richards Baylor
Paige Bueckers Connecticut (FR) eligible for early entry in 2023
+Caitlin Clark Iowa (FR)
Tiana Mangakahia Syracuse

Senior/Grad
Draft eligible junior
+Added candidate

Dropped candidates
Destiny Slocum Arkansas
Dyaisha Fair Buffalo (SO)
Ali Patberg Indiana
Hailey Van Lith Louisville (FR) eligible for early entry in 2023
Myah Taylor Mississippi State
Raina Perez NC State
Diamond Johnson Rutgers (FR)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/03/21 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/21 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 Cheryl Miller Award (SF) Finalists
Ashley Joens Iowa State (JR)
Rhyne Howard Kentucky (JR)
Haley Jones Stanford (SO)
Rennia Davis Tennessee
Michaela Onyenwere UCLA

Senior/Grad
Draft eligible junior

Dropped candidates
Grace Berger Indiana (JR)
Rickea Jackson Mississippi State (SO)
Mia Davis Temple
Vivian Gray Texas Tech
Ivana Raca Wake Forest

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 03/03/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
2021 Nancy Lieberman Award (PG) Finalists
+Aari McDonald Arizona
DiDi Richards Baylor
Paige Bueckers Connecticut (FR) eligible for early entry in 2023
+Caitlin Clark Iowa (FR)
Tiana Mangakahia Syracuse

I am amazed Didi Richards is a point guard. I saw her guarding Ionescu and thought they were using an athletic small forward for defense.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/04/21 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I am amazed Didi Richards is a point guard. I saw her guarding Ionescu and thought they were using an athletic small forward for defense.

That was actually true last year. Richards was the small forward, Te'a Cooper and Juicy Landrum were the guards.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/status/1367284001615011842

Quote:
ESPN scheduled to air WNBA Draft live in primetime April 15 (a Thursday). Looks like full, two-hour draft (8-10 PM ET).

Prior to last year, the draft typically aired for one hour on ESPN2 before dropping down to ESPNU for the conclusion.

Draft being re-confirmed for an April 15 date, with more specifics on time and network – as things stand now, of course. That would be six weeks from today...

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/04/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, so we won't have to change channels to get the "we stopped doing research/caring" portion of the program this year.

Pardon my cynicism, but the way the bottom 60% of the draft gets treated by ESPN- talked over, ignored, reduced to a flash on the ticker and gone- is an absolute berserk button for me.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I have discussed this before but I would like to see the WNBA go to a two round draft. The majority of the players that make it in the league are drafted in the first two rounds. It would benefit everyone to eliminate the third round. The NBA has a lot more teams and they only have a two round draft.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I know I have discussed this before but I would like to see the WNBA go to a two round draft. The majority of the players that make it in the league are drafted in the first two rounds. It would benefit everyone to eliminate the third round. The NBA has a lot more teams and they only have a two round draft.

and the answer is always the same...IMO. Those girls drafted in the third round have a much better chance of playing overseas. So it is a benefit to those drafted. So...why not?

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/04/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

and the answer is always the same...IMO. Those girls drafted in the third round have a much better chance of playing overseas. So it is a benefit to those drafted. So...why not?

Cuz like I’ve said, that’s a downright bizarre main reason to continue to have a 3rd round from the WNBA’s perspective. Especially considering how many European Leagues amongst other ones halfway around the globe hold seasons that run right into the start of (or tail-end of) the W's season, where players so often have to arrive late to their W team’s training camp and hold their team back by having to play catch-up within the team’s system. And besides: don’t teams still offer extra money to players if they don’t play overseas? By all indications, the WNBA would prefer if their players don't play overseas – and logically so.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/04/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Cuz like I’ve said, that’s a downright bizarre main reason to continue to have a 3rd round from the WNBA’s perspective. Especially considering how many European Leagues amongst other ones halfway around the globe hold seasons that run right into the start of (or tail-end of) the W's season, where players so often have to arrive late to their W team’s training camp and hold their team back by having to play catch-up within the team’s system. And besides: don’t teams still offer extra money to players if they don’t play overseas? By all indications, the WNBA would prefer if their players don't play overseas – and logically so.
Except it is the Euro teams that offer the money. Some years ago DT Russian team paid her entire WNBA salary just so she wouldn't play. The WNBA has no money and they are restricted by a salary cap.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Except it is the Euro teams that offer the money. Some years ago DT Russian team paid her entire WNBA salary just so she wouldn't play. The WNBA has no money and they are restricted by a salary cap.

That... only seems to support the notion that the WNBA isn't (or at the very least, shouldn't be) in the business of helping prospective players find overseas work in adversarial Leagues.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/04/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

It's a good way to get cheap local pop. One year when I was contributing to the Women's Hoops Blog, I did a draft round-up linking articles on every player drafted. Okay, so I couldn't get one on the third-round pick from Russia, so sue me.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

The CBA mandates a three round draft, so it's not shortening any time soon.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of free publicity for every third-round pick. It costs nothing -- though it does hurt players who then lack the ability to sign with a team that might have more openings at their position.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

That... only seems to support the notion that the WNBA isn't (or at the very least, shouldn't be) in the business of helping prospective players find overseas work in adversarial Leagues.

except, as is well known, those third round prospects are 99% not going to find a home here in the wnba, so it's simply giving them a better chance at continuing their basketball career...overseas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 34 of 53

Jump to: