RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/01/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mangakahia needs to get going if she wants a pro basketball career. She's older than Brionna Jones, who's about to start her fifth WNBA season!

PostPosted: 03/02/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got my first long look at Charli Collier yesterday ...

So she's definitely a first-round pick, and with her potential, a top-ten pick at the least. But No. 1 overall? Only in a year like this one, and thus not really worth trading up for, and even expecting a lot from.

Part of the issue may be the way Texas uses her, but the fact that Vic Schaefer seems to think Lauren Ebo is at least as effective on the block as Collier, or maybe more so, is troubling.

Collier is reasonably athletic, looks to be a solid shotblocker, and can shoot a little -- but she doesn't look like a WNBA gamechanger in the short run, especially give her history of up-and-down performances.

Here's another way to look at it, I think: If Collier were a starting center in the league, where would she rank? Ahead of Elizabeth Williams, say? How about Brionna Jones or Zahui B?

Of course she's likely to improve, and she is only 21, but I do think a team would hope for immediate impact from an overall No. 1 pick.

PostPosted: 03/02/21 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d still rather have her or Kuier over Katie Lou.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, for a long time now I've been saying about Collier the old joke about the lights are flashing, the barriers are down, but the train just doesn't arrive. And every time she plays a decent team or a decent player, she looks way less impressive than against North Texas. She has a great pro body, so if you just look at her rather than watch her play she looks like she should be a good pro... but....there are just too many buts. Maybe eventually she can help a team, but I agree it's doubtful that it will be in the short term.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, we've all hammered this down time after time: There is no one in this Draft class that screams "#1 Pick." All the #1-Pick options, along with the other general prospects, have at least one or two key weaknesses to go along with whatever strengths they possess. So long as there's a Draft every year though, there has to be someone taken #1 in it.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I mean, we've all hammered this down time after time: There is no one in this Draft class that screams "#1 Pick." All the #1-Pick options, along with the other general prospects, have at least one or two key weaknesses to go along with whatever strengths they possess. So long as there's a Draft every year though, there has to be someone taken #1 in it.

This. Not understanding why “Collier doesn’t look like a #1 pick” keeps being overstated at this point..

PostPosted: 03/02/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I guess the consensus has been affirmed. The 2021 draft smells worse than the LOUD skunk marijuana odor at a Hip-Hop concert. I would rather the Chicago Sky trade their 2021 first round to any team that has a cheap back up point guard. I don't like any of the point guards coming out this year. Mad

PostPosted: 03/02/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Well I guess the consensus has been affirmed. The 2021 draft smells worse than the LOUD skunk marijuana odor at a Hip-Hop concert. I would rather the Chicago Sky trade their 2021 first round to any team that has a cheap back up point guard. I don't like any of the point guards coming out this year. Mad

I’d take you up on that offer. #8 for Banham, but she’s making something like $102K. Probably not cheap enough.

#8 for Brown making $70K? The writing’s on the wall that she won’t be on the team next year unless maybe she agrees to play for minimum.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First Team All-SEC
Jasmine Walker, Alabama
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Khayla Pointer, LSU
Shakira Austin, Ole Miss
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Zia Cooke, South Carolina
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
N'dea Jones, Texas A&M

Second Team All-SEC
Jordan Lewis, Alabama
Unique Thompson, Auburn
Destiny Slocum, Arkansas
Lavender Briggs, Florida
Jenna Staiti, Georgia
Aijha Blackwell, Missouri
Rae Burrell, Tennessee
Aaliyah Wilson, Texas A&M

All-Defensive
Que Morrison, Georgia
Khayla Pointer, LSU
Chasity Patterson, Kentucky
Tamari Key, Tennessee

Player of the Year
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Co-Defensive Players of the Year
Que Morrison, Georgia

6th Woman of the Year
Destiny Pitts, Texas A&M

Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semifinalists for Naismith Women's Player of the Year award
Aliyah Boston So. F South Carolina SEC
Paige Bueckers Fr. G UConn Big East
Caitlin Clark Fr. G Iowa Big Ten
Charli Collier Jr. F/C Texas Big 12
Elissa Cunane Jr. C NC State ACC
Dana Evans Sr. G Louisville ACC
Naz Hillmon Jr. F Michigan Big Ten
Rhyne Howard Jr. G Kentucky SEC
Aari McDonald Sr. F Arizona Pac-12
Michaela Onyenwere Sr. F UCLA Pac-12
NaLyssa Smith Jr. F Baylor Big 12

Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 Ann Meyers Drysdale Award (SG) Finalists
Chelsea Dungee Arkansas
Dana Evans Louisville
Ashley Owusu Maryland (SO)
Arella Guirantes Rutgers
Zia Cooke South Carolina (SO)

Senior/Grad

Dropped candidates
Aari McDonald Arizona
Christyn Williams UConn (JR)
Sonya Morris DePaul (JR)
Kiana Williams Stanford
Charisma Osborne UCLA (SO)

Last edited by Shades on 03/02/21 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

This. Not understanding why “Collier doesn’t look like a #1 pick” keeps being overstated at this point..

Agree. Especially when no one ever offers another candidate for the pick.

Yes Collier has had some bad games but she has had good ones as well and not all just against bad teams.

In this draft I would still rather bet on her potential when she has a pro body, decent athleticism and some skill on both ends of the floor than pick someone else. Collier in three years vs everyone else in three years is a bet I would take. And while Dallas' too many picks may be a curse having three in the top five gives them the best opportunity to bet on Collier's potential while using the other two top five picks on safer more developed players.
1. Collier
2. Mack or Davis
5. Mack, Davis, Evans or Dungee

would be a good haul for the Wings

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's impossible to quanitify because of the variation in how players are viewed (and how we all forget a lot of what was said about players pre-draft), but I wonder how many of these players who are drafted based on potential to become something down the line actually produce for the team that drafts them. It feels to me like a lot of these players, if they actually pan out at some point, often do it in a Natasha Howard kind of way where it's after a move or two that they break out. Which then again makes you wonder about the value. How long do you have to wait, how much time and investment is involved, in order for this player to hopefully work out well, and hopefully while still on your own roster?

Of course, if everyone available is a gamble then all you're doing is taking your pick of the gambling options, but there are usually levels of risk. You can see why teams sometimes take the player who might have a much lower ceiling but should at least be able to vaguely help them for a couple of years, instead of the wild swing for the fences.

PostPosted: 03/02/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I’d take you up on that offer. #8 for Banham, but she’s making something like $102K. Probably not cheap enough.

#8 for Brown making $70K? The writing’s on the wall that she won’t be on the team next year unless maybe she agrees to play for minimum.

Cheap means less than the vet minimum.

PostPosted: 03/03/21 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone claims there's no alternatives but:
Left to me, If I wanted two posts, I'd take Mack and the Finnish girl. Mack to work now and Awak for potential later.

Purely on talent without considering needs, before Collier I'd probably also take Dungee, Onyenwere, Davis, and maybe even Dana Evans, Guirantes, Walker, and Perry.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah! Give 'em hell, Myrtle! Wink

I went back and watched Jasmine Walker's 41 point game against Auburn. What grabbed my attention was not the points, but her physique. Walker is solidly built without being bulky, and she's reasonably mobile. That's a pro body. I know I've complained about Walker being a bit soft -- especially when it comes to battling under the boards. However, as the team's star, it's possible that she's been asked to avoid excessive contact that might lead to cheap fouls. It's not an uncommon practice with top college players. Even if Jasmine really isn't disciplined about boxing out, that's probably not a hard problem to fix. I remember Mercedes Russell had the same deficiency in her senior year, but I don't really notice it as an issue in the WNBA. Anyway, Walker possesses a 6-3 pro body, decent mobility, and shoots 3s at over 40% on high volume (3.0 makes per game). That should catch someone's attention.

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=30981162&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
Which WNBA players do we think are best comparisons for what Guirantes/Dungee could become? Allisha Gray? Britney Sykes? Maybe McBride?

McBride seems like a good comparison for Dungee since they have the same roster height and are both thicker build for a guard. I was thinking that Dungee was more athletic and/or skilled than McBride having seen her highlight reels at Arkansas (under a coach that really gives guards the green light to shoot). But looking at video of McBride in college I would say she was more athletic than Dungee is. So my guess would be that Dungee won't be as good a pro as McBride.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/03/21 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never said there were no alternatives (at least not on this page) I did however say when people are saying Collier shouldn't be #1 they never say who should be #1

I like all the players on Myrtle's list but if you read this thread at one point or another if they have been considered at #1 at all there is someone else saying they shouldn't be and I haven't really seen any at the top of the list

Mack is two years older than Collier they have pretty similar stats; Collier 21.0 and 12.2 Mack 19.0 and 12.3 similar percentages 51 vs 52 fg percentages in the same conference, Collier shoots many more free throws at a better percentage 80 vs 68 and has a 30% 3 point fg% compared to Mack's lack of a 3 point shot, Mack has many more assists this is the bad one for Charli 98 vs 12 and blocks and fewer turnovers. Mack never seems (except on this board) to get the respect she deserves because she is continually left off national awards list, top player lists and I haven't see her as a #1 pick in any of the mocks I have seen. The media is often wrong, are they wrong this time? or do they just see a really good college player who projects to be a decent but not outstanding pro?

I like Onyenwere a lot but the latest trend is not only is she not in the lottery in most mocks in some she has fallen to the 2nd round. Again I think she is going to be good but her tweener status and questionable 3 point shot for SF adds a lot of risk to taking her with the #1 pick. J. Young was taken with a #1 pick Onyenwere is a much better offensive player than she is, maybe not as good of a passer or defender but a lot of people would say taking Young with the #1 pick was a huge mistake. Does her talent translate at the next level. Is she closer to McCoughtry or Powers?

Kuier is intriguing but I don't think there is enough evidence ATM to feel really secure taking her at #1 (I hope she fall to NY at #6 which seems like a safe place for a high risk high reward pick, unless of course Collier is the one to fall) and I am not sure if she is a deferral pick or really excited about coming to the W seems kind of Risky for a #1 pick. Her upside and potential is super high right now, and because she is so young she could be the best player in this draft in a few years.With that in mind I could see Dallas who has enough picks to take on the wait and risk grab her with 1 or 2.

At the beginning of this thread Dungee was shredded as an option for the #1 pick. She was even showing up in the third round in a lot of mocks. She has had a really great season and now seems like a lottery pick. times change and opinions can change for a while she was the next Strickland now she is the next McBride. I would take her at 6 if we didn't have the hope of getting Durr and Johannes back to join Whitcomb and Jones, not sure I would take her at 1, even though she is clearly very talented.

Evans love Evans. Her size is a big knock for a #1 pick. Has anyone 5' 6"-ish been taken #1? I think even Plum and Bird were bigger. Again not saying I wouldn't take her at 1 but there is some serious risk there. K. Mitchell who was a great scorer in college and probably a little bigger and stronger is still struggling to live up to her #2 draft position. Evans will probably have to transition to more of a full-time PG to be effective at the next level but she has the skill set to be a productive W player for years. As much as I like her I am not completely convinced that she will ever be a full-time starter on a really good W team. Which is something I would be looking for in a #1 pick or at least the potential. I am not sure she would be the best fit in NY but I would take her at 6 if we decided to groom her as a back up/future PG and keep Ionescu at the two spot

Guirantes, I just don't know enough about her to really say anything, her stats are pretty impressive. I guess the knock would be #1 picks (for better or worse) even in weak drafts seem to have a higher profile than she has. She is a finalist for the Drydale SG award so maybe I just have missed her, but I am from NY usually I have some clue about Rutgers players. Is she better than Any or Copper? They both had similar profiles when they were the top option. I wouldn't view either of them as #1 picks, is Guirantes much better than they are?

I also don't know enough about Perry to say anything bad except has there ever been a #1 pick from a mid major?

Walker has been growing on me, seems like a very NY type of player for the #6 pick if the other posts are off the board (but considering I already like the wing/post we have I might defer with Rupert if Collier, Mack and Kuier are already gone). Not that the rest of the world is right but I would think some brave mocker would at least put Walker in the lottery before we are talking about taking her at #1.

Davis, of everyone on the list Davis IMO has the best combination of pro body, athleticism, skill, potential/upside and high basement low risk to knock Collier out of the #1 spot.

I realize some of my arguments might seem uninformed and I make no claim to be an expert on the college game (I sometimes champion players that flame out, but I also get some players right who others continually under value). When I say Collier should be taken #1 it is based on her size/pro body, athleticism, skill and potential. In this draft with the other options I still feel pretty comfortable standing behind that choice. It is pretty easy for me to see Charli rising above the others in the next few years because of that foundation. I enjoy hearing other people's arguments and would certainly be open to hearing why player X should be taken at #1, as opposed to why player Y shouldn't be.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/03/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

At the beginning of this thread Dungee was shredded as an option for the #1 pick. She was even showing up in the third round in a lot of mocks. She has had a really great season and now seems like a lottery pick. times change and opinions can change for a while she was the next Strickland now she is the next McBride.

If you watched Dungee in the UConn game, you can see clearly why she is a lottery pick. If you watched Dungee recently against Auburn, then you see clearly why she is a 3rd Round pick. Wink

J-Spoon wrote:

Walker has been growing on me, seems like a very NY type of player for the #6 pick if the other posts are off the board (but considering I already like the wing/post we have I might defer with Rupert if Collier, Mack and Kuier are already gone). Not that the rest of the world is right but I would think some brave mocker would at least put Walker in the lottery before we are talking about taking her at #1..

Bull Dull projected Walker at #4. But as you indicated, he had to be brave.

PostPosted: 03/03/21 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my point was that there really isn't, or shouldn't be, a consensus #1. It just is what it is this year. And it's hard to compare apples and oranges since everyone brings something a little different. And maybe I'm just bad luck for Collier so every time I watch, she doesn't impress. Like most of these players though IMO she would be a safer pick at #5 or #6. Frankly I wouldn't want the #1 pick. But if I had it, I would probably pick Mack. She's a much more fluid player than Collier and age aside, I actually think she has a bigger upside. She has a nice midrange shot so she should be able to move it out if needed. If I were picking Collier, based on her body size I would want her posting up and banging inside rather than twiddling around on the three point line. I do think the fact that she has a three point shot is maybe her best attribute, but I'm not really in the camp that thinks a five needs to shoot the three. I hate to see teams with nobody under the basket rebounding.

BTW:I just watched Onyenwere go 6-6 from three in a recent game, which greatly hoisted her in my evaluation. It's clear she's been working on that aspect of her game, and it appears to be paying off. I think she also has tremendous upside. She's a great athlete, a decent defender and is a whirlwind dervish off the dribble already so if she can get the outside shooting to be consistent, she will be a gem for whichever team gets her. No she isn't a #1, but then as I said above, nobody is. I keep waiting for someone to rise head and shoulders above and it doesn't happen.

And, all that said, I still expect Dallas, being Dallas, will take Collier #1. In a way it's a safe thing for them to do in that it will be a popular move with the fanbase...even if she doesn't see a lot of floor time this year.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
my point was that there really isn't, or shouldn't be, a consensus #1. It just is what it is this year. And it's hard to compare apples and oranges since everyone brings something a little different. And maybe I'm just bad luck for Collier so every time I watch, she doesn't impress. Like most of these players though IMO she would be a safer pick at #5 or #6. Frankly I wouldn't want the #1 pick. But if I had it, I would probably pick Mack. She's a much more fluid player than Collier and age aside, I actually think she has a bigger upside. She has a nice midrange shot so she should be able to move it out if needed. If I were picking Collier, based on her body size I would want her posting up and banging inside rather than twiddling around on the three point line. I do think the fact that she has a three point shot is maybe her best attribute, but I'm not really in the camp that thinks a five needs to shoot the three. I hate to see teams with nobody under the basket rebounding.

BTW:I just watched Onyenwere go 6-6 from three in a recent game, which greatly hoisted her in my evaluation. It's clear she's been working on that aspect of her game, and it appears to be paying off. I think she also has tremendous upside. She's a great athlete, a decent defender and is a whirlwind dervish off the dribble already so if she can get the outside shooting to be consistent, she will be a gem for whichever team gets her. No she isn't a #1, but then as I said above, nobody is. I keep waiting for someone to rise head and shoulders above and it doesn't happen.

And, all that said, I still expect Dallas, being Dallas, will take Collier #1. In a way it's a safe thing for them to do in that it will be a popular move with the fanbase...even if she doesn't see a lot of floor time this year.

We desperately need help in the post, so why wouldn't we take her with the #1 pick...I'm not getting the, "Dallas will be Dallas" comment!

No matter what we do with any of these picks, somebody on this thread will blast us either way! Why even bother to be apart of the draft at all because listening to all the experts on here, not a single person is worth the time or effort anyway?

Like I read a few times before now....for those of you who keep saying Collier is not a true number #1 pick then PLEASE enlighten us who IS THE #1 PICK!!!

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I meant was Dallas is in the state of Texas. Collier is a star at Texas. Therefore, in a draft where there is no clear #1, why wouldn't they take her...

Since y'all have 4 early picks, you should be able to find some other players to be useful soon anyway. The point is that it's a weak draft. Just don't expect miracles.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
What I meant was Dallas is in the state of Texas. Collier is a star at Texas. Therefore, in a draft where there is no clear #1, why wouldn't they take her...

Since y'all have 4 early picks, you should be able to find some other players to be useful soon anyway. The point is that it's a weak draft. Just don't expect miracles.

I understand all that, but what I'm still perplexed about is the fact that you think that those of us who reside in the state of Texas are so simplistic and naive, that we care more about having a "local" product on our various teams as apposed to actually winning!!!

What exactly happened to you on your visit here that left you with such a distain towards us as a whole???

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that simple. I have some very loved friends living in Texas. I don't hate Texas or Texans. I particularly have enjoyed visiting San Antonio. I have particularly not liked visiting Houston. Dallas is fairly neutral. That is all irrelevant.

But in a year where there is no clear #1 why wouldn't you take a local player? I don't particularly like her as a #1 but obviously I'm in the minority.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 33 of 53

Jump to: