Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/25/21 2:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
and I still don't think Mack is WNBA ready skill wise. Has a pretty underdeveloped left hand. Shot has slow release and pretty streaky. No clear strong skill that translates to the W outside of rebounding and blocks. With her body type, I don't see either translating very strongly to the WNBA right now.

Agreed.

Mack’s ceiling gives me Jessica Breland for some reason..

I very much agree with that. I think she lands somewhere between Erica McCall and Jessica Breland. She has to change her shot release and drastically improve her ball handling if she ever wants to consistently be on a roster. My honest guess is unless she's a lottery pick, she probably isn't going to be on a roster this year.

PostPosted: 02/25/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
That's why I said it didn't look like [Guirantes] could create her own shot. I didn't see a great deal of speed/quickness which is why they could guard her one on one. Definitely no blowbys that I saw. She's savvy and tends to be in the right place at the right time, and made some quite nice passes. I think the other game I saw was v. Northwestern and she didn't shoot well in that one either, though her FTs are really good. I would like to see one of the games where she shoots well to see how she gets those shots.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a highlights reel from last season where Guirantes makes 100% of her shots. Wink It also showcases her passing and defensive skills to give you/anyone a better idea of her all-around game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
and I still don't think Mack is WNBA ready skill wise. Has a pretty underdeveloped left hand. Shot has slow release and pretty streaky. No clear strong skill that translates to the W outside of rebounding and blocks. With her body type, I don't see either translating very strongly to the WNBA right now.

Agreed.

I see quite a bit of Natasha Howard, obviously a higher ceiling than you do though I like Breland as well. And of course Howard took several years to get where she got. Also in this year's draft, that is pretty high praise. I do wonder about her 'want-to' and smarts as she seems pretty laid back/not very intense. Still she's been doing her job consistently which is more than you can say for most of the other top candidates.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
That's why I said it didn't look like [Guirantes] could create her own shot. I didn't see a great deal of speed/quickness which is why they could guard her one on one. Definitely no blowbys that I saw. She's savvy and tends to be in the right place at the right time, and made some quite nice passes. I think the other game I saw was v. Northwestern and she didn't shoot well in that one either, though her FTs are really good. I would like to see one of the games where she shoots well to see how she gets those shots.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a highlights reel from last season where Guirantes makes 100% of her shots. Wink It also showcases her passing and defensive skills to give you/anyone a better idea of her all-around game.

yeah, I've helped put together enough highlight reels for kids to know that while they show the best of the best, there's a whole lot more to see...THey are fun of course, but I think everybody takes them with a grain of salt.

At least in these highlights you can see her create her own shot. And why she gets so many FTs by diving down to the basket. In highlights though I also like to see who she's playing against. I saw a lot of Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, and teams who were fairly weak when they happened (mostly last year I guess since there are crowds in the stand)

Last edited by myrtle on 02/25/21 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior Shot Blockers BPG
1. Natasha Mack Oklahoma St. 6-4 4.04
2. Latrese Saine Southeast Mo. St. 6-4 3.87
4. Ameshya Williams Jackson St. 6-4 3.35
5. Nancy Mulkey Rice 6-9 3.20
6. Jenna Staiti Georgia 6-6 3.19
9. Kate Cain Nebraska 6-5 3.05
15. Natalie Kucowski Lafayette 6-3 2.70
16. Sara Hamson BYU 6-7 2.68

Considering she leads this field against the best competition level, I’d put Mack into the elite blocking category.

I might have to take a closer look at 6’6 Staiti. Georgia is playing tonight.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/25/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Agreed.

I see quite a bit of Natasha Howard, obviously a higher ceiling than you do though I like Breland as well. And of course Howard took several years to get where she got. Also in this year's draft, that is pretty high praise. I do wonder about her 'want-to' and smarts as she seems pretty laid back/not very intense. Still she's been doing her job consistently which is more than you can say for most of the other top candidates.

Respect that.

Howard, even at Florida State, movement/mobility/agility/raw talent was just superior to Mack’s where you could see the offensive potential going forward. Mack has definitely been consistent, but I’m just struggling to see her doing much on offense. I think she’s more of a safe pick, IMO.

PostPosted: 02/25/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Her best attribute is that she's big, but doesn't move well and is not close to being in shape. I've seen her a few times and not been impressed.

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 02/25/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yeah, I've helped put together enough highlight reels for kids to know that while they show the best of the best, there's a whole lot more to see...THey are fun of course, but I think everybody takes them with a grain of salt.

At least in these highlights you can see her create her own shot. And why she gets so many FTs by diving down to the basket. In highlights though I also like to see who she's playing against. I saw a lot of Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, and teams who were fairly weak when they happened (mostly last year I guess since there are crowds in the stand)

What really put her on the national map last year was the Ohio State game, where she scored 36 points and hit the game winning shot. STarting watching about 8min 15s into the above video.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/25/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I see quite a bit of Natasha Howard [in watching Natasha Mack], obviously a higher ceiling than you do though I like Breland as well. And of course Howard took several years to get where she got. Also in this year's draft, that is pretty high praise. I do wonder about her 'want-to' and smarts as she seems pretty laid back/not very intense. Still she's been doing her job consistently which is more than you can say for most of the other top candidates.

I wondered that as well, until seeing this local-news story from last spring of her trying to stay in basketball shape during the early months of the pandemic. It's great she has such a supportive brother in her corner. After watching her literally use timber as makeshift weights, I found her to be very dedicated.

mavcarter wrote:
Mack has definitely been consistent, but I’m just struggling to see her doing much on offense. I think she’s more of a safe pick, IMO.

I agree, which is why I'm a bit surprised that she doesn't seem to be projected as a consensus lottery or even Top-6 pick, in a Draft that's filled with players who imo have more question marks to their game/prospect profile than she does. Though at the same time, a Draft like this one will likely see some prospects get overdrafted and others unexpectedly fall...

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/25/21 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/25/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
What really put her on the national map last year was the Ohio State game, where she scored 36 points and hit the game winning shot. STarting watching about 8min 15s into the above video.

Oooohhh....she travelled on that shot lol.

PostPosted: 02/25/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiana Mangakahia is 100% sure she’s not coming back to Syracuse: ‘I want to go pro’

Quote:
Mangakahia averages 11.3 points and 7.7 assists (most in the NCAA) after sitting out last season due to her battle with stage 2 breast cancer. ...

She’s a natural facilitator, but she said she needs to shoot the ball more after watching Arizona guard Aari McDonald play against Stanford on Monday.

“[McDonald] averages (17) shots a game and I’m just like, ‘Maybe I do need to shoot it more,’” said Mangakahia, who averages 8.5 shot attempts per game. “It really opened up my eyes.”

She's averaging 50% from 2, and 36% from 3. Particularly from outside, I feel like she's probably shooting the right amount.

Mangakahia being as advanced in age for a collegiate as she is, it was all but a foregone conclusion that she would make herself available to get drafted this year. I hope we see more articles in the coming weeks about prospects deciding to go pro – or conversely, deciding to return for another season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I see quite a bit of Natasha Howard [in watching Natasha Mack], obviously a higher ceiling than you do though I like Breland as well. And of course Howard took several years to get where she got. Also in this year's draft, that is pretty high praise. I do wonder about her 'want-to' and smarts as she seems pretty laid back/not very intense. Still she's been doing her job consistently which is more than you can say for most of the other top candidates.

I wondered that as well, until seeing this local-news story from last spring of her trying to stay in basketball shape during the early months of the pandemic. It's great she has such a supportive brother in her corner. After watching her literally use timber as makeshift weights, I found her to be very dedicated.

Awesome! That is so COOL!

Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU senior Khayla Pointer looking to make the most out of home finale against Mississippi State
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_a493d3dc-76fe-11eb-b415-cb5f1d6bf4e8.html

Quote:
Pointer and her fellow seniors have an option to stay with the NCAA having granted athletes a waiver on this season against their eligibility. Pointer said she will make that decision after the season, although she seems ready to move on to the WNBA.

Quote:
“Khayla is a joy to coach,” said Fargas. “It doesn’t take much. She’s motivated, she starts her own engine. She’s a student of the game and it comes easy to her. She’s shown she’s one of the best players in the country. Other coaches in our league always tell me how difficult it is to guard her.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pointer's got no chance in the W. She's on a mediocre LSU team, she's barely shooting 40% from the field & 30% from 3, she's a terrible FT shooter for a guard (58% on quite a few attempts), she's only listed at 5'7, and she has more assists than turnovers at this point in time. Both she and Faustine Aifuwa are better off returning to LSU next year in hopes of putting up better individual numbers – or better yet, grad-transferring to a better program that's actually capable of being in the upper echelon of its conference.

Meanwhile,
Aari McDonald will officially be going pro after the conclusion of this season.

Quote:
"I’m not trying to be 23, 24 in college."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/25/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that because of the pandemic the NCAA has made it available for college seniors to play one more year. But there is a time for going to school and there is a time to get to work and start earning money.

PostPosted: 02/25/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is right females have 12-13 years after college to make a living off basketball, at best.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/25/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I know that because of the pandemic the NCAA has made it available for college seniors to play one more year. But there is a time for going to school and there is a time to get to work and start earning money.

Kyra Lambert says yeah sure.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/25/21 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm feeling bad for my UTMartin girl, Chelsea Perry. She's missed a shitload of games down the stretch with some kind of injury, which they don't seem to want to talk about. She missed 4 games, came back for one, and has missed several more. I really thought she had enough of a game to make a team if she got drafted to the right team, but injuries suck!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/25/21 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Kyra Lambert says yeah sure.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I never understood people that enjoyed being a professional student. Confused

PostPosted: 02/25/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rennia Davis had a big game that Tennessee needed to win tonight.
Davis 26 pts (10-17, 2-5 3P, 4-5 FT), 7 reb, 3 ast, 3 TO in 27 min

Only 27 min played because of early foul trouble, I believe.

She’d fit NYL’s 5-out system.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Rennia Davis had a big game that Tennessee needed to win tonight.
Davis 26 pts (10-17, 2-5 3P, 4-5 FT), 7 reb, 3 ast, 3 TO in 27 min

Only 27 min played because of early foul trouble, I believe.

She’d fit NYL’s 5-out system.

She did look great and she is a very good player, albeit inconsistent, but it was against Mizzou. Do you really think NY needs another tweener wing?

blaase22

PostPosted: 02/25/21 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Won’t matter davis won’t be there at 6.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Her best attribute is that she's big, but doesn't move well and is not close to being in shape. I've seen her a few times and not been impressed.

Watched Staiti tonight. I didn’t hate her. She’s good got basketball smarts. Has that free throw jumper that WNBA coaches love. I can see her getting drafted. Maybe Wade wants to use that second round pick on a younger cheaper Dolson replacement.

Saw Unique Thompson tonight too. She played in front Catchings who seems to cover all the Arkansas games on SECN. She’s got a pro body, not sure of the smarts though. She’s kind of reminiscent of Cheryl Ford, so I wonder if Laimbeer has taken notice (or Reeve for that matter). Thompson had 22 pts, 18 reb on her senior night against Arkansas.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/27/21 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since there's been much speculation on who will declare early for the draft, I guess it's fair to speculate on who will be staying the extra year. It's been referenced in passing that Natasha Mack could benefit from taking advantage of the extra eligibility, by spectators and commentators. I somehow missed this article, but apparently it's a very strong possibility that she stays an extra year.

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/an-emotional-day-natasha-mack-talks-about-osu-s-upcoming-senior-day/article_1af5bb80-72ef-11eb-a5e5-433a4ec7b1cd.html

PostPosted: 02/27/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
I somehow missed this article, but apparently it's a very strong possibility that she stays an extra year.

I would think once they find out how much they’d make for 4 months play in the WNBA that it becomes an easier decision. Plus she might be able to get a more lucrative deal overseas with the stats she has. I wonder if an agent is allowed to point these things out to her before she makes a decision.

Plus there’s the aspect of this year’s draft being a little thin compared to next year’s draft. There’s a bit more income that comes with being a higher pick plus they’re given more opportunity to succeed. High pick, high priority.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 31 of 53

Jump to: