2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Quote:
What makes Rennia Davis such a compelling prospect?

Let’s start with Davis’ defense because there are fewer question marks on that side of the ball when it comes to fitting her into a WNBA team.

(highlight thanks to Shades)

There is less room for Tamara Young clones in the league than there used to be.

I don’t get much of a Tamera Young vibe from her, but Young did play in 372 games covering 12 years.

Say what you will about Young as a WNBA player, she was a major scorer in college.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The player that gives me the most Tamera Young vibes in this Draft class is Didi Richards. Similar size/frame, known for her defense, not a big rebounder, can't shoot... but unlike Young, Richards can really distribute on offense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The player that gives me the most Tamera Young vibes in this Draft class is Didi Richards. Similar size/frame, known for her defense, not a big rebounder, can't shoot... but unlike Young, Richards can really distribute on offense.

Yeah Rennia & Tamera are not the same player. Rennia can actually hit an open 3 if left open Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yeah Rennia & Tamera are not the same player. Rennia can actually hit an open 3 if left open Laughing Laughing

Shit, with Clark gone, did I just talk myself into wanting the Storm to draft Richards in the 1st round? Shocked (I mean, she should still be there in the 2nd round, but………)

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/geEvRnbQqLYsb5WOr8" width="203" height="240" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

sometimes...and from the college line.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love watching Didi but not sure she can play at the next level.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

sometimes...and from the college line.

Ive seen Rennia knock down NBA game winning 3 pointers multiple times.

See This ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITVNKMXwRAQ

& This .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvG3ScFR-I

Both well beyond the college line.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I love watching Didi but not sure she can play at the next level.

But as we’ve established, one could say the same thing about all the prospects this year. Razz

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dungee with 30 and counting against UCONN right now. Making her best first rounder impression.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want dungee In a wings uni at #5

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Dungee with 37 pts tonight in a win against UCONN.

She was possessed. She was definitely the best player on the floor tonight.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Chelsea Dungee with 37 pts tonight in a win against UCONN.

She was possessed. She was definitely the best player on the floor tonight.

I think she’s better than projected.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I want dungee In a wings uni at #5

Bibb just signed a similar player in Allisha Gray. Dallas should load up on whatever posts they can, especially if they don’t gain any in FA.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas will be fine with one of Collier or Mack or Kuier at #2. Hopefully Rennia Davis is available at 5 and next post available at 7(Thompson, Rupert..)

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
Dallas will be fine with one of Collier or Mack or Kuier at #2. Hopefully Rennia Davis is available at 5 and next post available at 7(Thompson, Rupert..)

Which players are you saying bye-bye to make room for all these younghans?

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I posted recently, Dungee can look like a worldbeater when she's on. However, Chelsea also has stretches when she struggles and hurts her team more than helps. So, what can we expect at the next level? The lazy answer is that it depends on where she goes and how she fits. Wink I definitely understand anyone falling in love with her after watching tonight's game. I felt that way when I made this post in November 2019 for the 2020 Mock Draft thread:

root_thing wrote:
I have to confess that I never heard of Chelsea Dungee before the SEC Tournament. However, she was really impressive over that handful of games. Dungee reminds me of Aerial Powers with her aggressiveness off the dribble. Assuming she's mostly like the player I saw in the tournament, and if Dungee comes out early, I think she'll be a mid-1st Round pick. Based on limited viewing, I like her a lot better than other players being mentioned: Pivec, Slocum, Te'a Cooper, and even Kaila Charles.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1597014&highlight=#1597014

Obviously, November was early in the draft assessment process. Still, mid-1st Round was pretty high. Then, she had a bad season last year, and there were also some games I watched this year when she didn't look anything like a 1st Round pick. Let's see if she can keep up the good play. Her weight is under control and Chelsea looks as shifty as she's ever been.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As I posted previously, Collier does look like she comes out of central casting. Is that enough reason to take her number 1? Maybe in this draft it is. Laughing

However, I will say one thing. Collier has to own tonight's performance. She shot 5-20 without being double-teamed. I believe she missed 3 open jumpers, so she was 5-17 from right under the basket. That can't be blamed on the Texas guards, Vic Schaefer or anyone else. Charli was bad all on her own. She looked like she was tight and trying too hard. Meanwhile, Mack was just doing her thing and Natasha's game seemed to flow naturally. That was a stark contract between the two players.

Curiosity got the better of me. Having now seen a good portion of the game I think Collier mostly put in positions to succeed and didn’t. Agree about the onus being on the player here.

Players like Mack who are explosive and quick can force opponents to play unnaturally faster than they are used to doing. I think that explains a good portion of why the less fluid Collier looked tight. Playing unnaturally fast forces you into discomfort.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:
As I posted previously, Collier does look like she comes out of central casting. Is that enough reason to take her number 1? Maybe in this draft it is. Laughing

However, I will say one thing. Collier has to own tonight's performance. She shot 5-20 without being double-teamed. I believe she missed 3 open jumpers, so she was 5-17 from right under the basket. That can't be blamed on the Texas guards, Vic Schaefer or anyone else. Charli was bad all on her own. She looked like she was tight and trying too hard. Meanwhile, Mack was just doing her thing and Natasha's game seemed to flow naturally. That was a stark contract between the two players.

Curiosity got the better of me. Having now seen a good portion of the game I think Collier mostly put in positions to succeed and didn’t. Agree about the onus being on the player here.

Players like Mack who are explosive and quick can force opponents to play unnaturally faster than they are used to doing. I think that explains a good portion of why the less fluid Collier looked tight. Playing unnaturally fast forces you into discomfort.

Did you read the rest of the discussion? If Mack outplays Collier again on Feberuary 10th, would you consider taking her at #1? My guess at the moment is that Mack is the most WNBA-ready, Kuier has the highest ceiling, and Collier is somewhere in between. Not surprisingly, their readiness also corresponds to their age: Mack turns 24 in November, Collier 22 in September, and Kuier 20 in August.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 4:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have we actually done a side-by-side comparison of Collier's & Mack's stats yet?

Collier's overall-season stats: 15 games, 20.2 PPG on 48.2% FG (6-23 3PT) & 81.4% FT (96-118 FT), 12.3 RPG, 8 ast to 41 to's, 9 stl, 15 blk
Mack's overall-season stats: 16 games, 18.9 PPG on 52.2% FG (0-0 3PT) & 57.9% FT (44-76 FT), 11.7 RPG, 33 ast to 24 to's, 31 stl, 65 blk

Collier's conference-play stats: 8 games, 17.8 PPG on 38.5% FG (3-15 3PT) & 77.6% FT (45-58 FT), 13.5 RPG, 7 ast to 29 to's, 4 stl, 6 blk
Mack's conference-play stats: 10 games, 19.8 PPG on 50.9% FG (0-0 3PT) & 51.6% FT (32-62 FT), 12 RPG, 25 ast to 13 to's, 24 stl, 46 blk

I don't know much, but I do know I like Mack's stats – particularly in conference – better than Collier's. (Stats aren't everything, but I don't think anyone would argue against the eye test these days either.) Yes they both score & rebound, yes Collier shoots FTs better, and yes Collier shoots 3s (at times, she even makes 'em). But Mack leads the whole country in blocks per game (4.06). She turns her opponent over (stl) more than she turns it over herself (to's). Her in-conference ATO is almost 2, which is itself a rare feat for a star post player in the Power-5 ranks. Not to mention she's actually making more shots than she's missing these days. How this woman didn't find herself on any of these national collegiate watch lists is frustratingly inexplicable & inexcusable. That's basically why she won't go #1 overall – but Collier still will.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had not realized Collier's A/TO was so bad. That and the low shooting percentage are enough to knock her out of No. 1, and maybe further.

The thing I liked about Dungee is how physical she is. She initiates contact on both ends, while a lot of players avoid contact.

She's also got a lot of offensive weapons, though how those will play at the next level is hard to say.

The difference between the two draft-wise is that there are many more wings than 6-4 posts so Collier has more value just because of that. Still, I don't know which one I'd pick first -- both are far from certain to shine in the W.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

Where can i start ?

KLS
Ndour
Gustafson

to name 3 of the top of my head Laughing

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

Where can i start ?

KLS
Ndour
Gustafson

to name 3 of the top of my head Laughing

You’re in my head lol

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Wings are stuck with Ndour. KLS and Gustafson can certainly be dumped.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Mack leads the whole country in blocks per game (4.06). She turns her opponent over (stl) more than she turns it over herself (to's). Her in-conference ATO is almost 2, which is itself a rare feat for a star post player in the Power-5 ranks. Not to mention she's actually making more shots than she's missing these days. How this woman didn't find herself on any of these national collegiate watch lists is frustratingly inexplicable & inexcusable. That's basically why she won't go #1 overall – but Collier still will.

I'm not sure I agree. Head-to-head match-ups mean a lot. If Mack clearly outplays Collier again on February 10th, I think perceptions will shift dramatically.

Stormeo wrote:

I don't know much, but I do know I like Mack's stats

I thought Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville were going to start singing. Smile

PostPosted: 01/29/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Did you read the rest of the discussion? If Mack outplays Collier again on Feberuary 10th, would you consider taking her at #1? My guess at the moment is that Mack is the most WNBA-ready, Kuier has the highest ceiling, and Collier is somewhere in between. Not surprisingly, their readiness also corresponds to their age: Mack turns 24 in November, Collier 22 in September, and Kuier 20 in August.

I’m getting caught up on the rest. I’m in between on Collier after seeing this performance. Her set of skills is greater than her production. Her assists don’t reflect her passing (which I think is much better than her numbers show) because their system is not conducive to her passing the ball.

Very few players possess all the things she can do. It’s not just that’s she’s 6-4 with long arms. She has a set of skills that really are adaptable to pro spacing.

However, production-wise she’s an underachiever. That is hard to ignore.

I was surprised by Mack’s strength and quick feet. She knocked Collier down with ease on one occasion and dictated with strength numerous other times. I could see Mack developing along Crystal Longhorne/Natasha Howard lines only with more strength and compared to Langhorne much more of a defensive presence.

I think Mack and Collier will both have immediate WNBA roles. It’s just you expect more from a first overall pick. I’d be fine with Mack. Give her a few years to develop a more complete offensive game and you might have a star. Might.

Collier is a tough player to read. She’ll give you a mixed array of moves that look like a lesser version of Tina Charles one night. Then another she won’t touch the ball for seven straight minutes. Then another she’ll be triple teamed and fight through. Then against WNBA athleticism she’ll go 5 for 20 from the field.

It’s hard to read the long-term potential of a player who blends elements of Jonquel Jones, Tina Charles, Kara Braxton and Michelle Snow.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 01/29/21 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 21 of 53

Jump to: