RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/24/21 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We finally get some film of Rupert after all that time for injury and (reportedly) illness.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/24/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Channeling my inner Trump, Collier looks like she's out of central casting. Your eyes are drawn to her when she's on the court. She fits the role physically.

Especially when she's the clear-cut tallest player on the court. That + her body/frame makes her look like a woman among girls – and she played like it today, too.

root_thing wrote:
Brenda VanLengen, "I hope she doesn't come out." Sure, Brenda, whatever is good for you. Laughing

I heard that, too. Brenda,
sweetie………………………………………keep it. Razz

How is she any different from WNBA fans that want Collier go declare to help their team, or make the draft stronger for later picks. Razz

In the past, I've advocated that certain players stay in school if they don't look ready. Other posters have too. Brenda's justification was that it's Collier's turn to lead Texas after sharing the spotlight with Holmes. That sounds pretty lame to me. Unless you're returning to significantly improve your skills, or your team has a serious chance of winning the national championship, I don't think it makes sense for a person who wants to play professional basketball to pass up a chance at being a lottery pick -- especially #1. You can't do better than #1, and you can do a lot worse if an injury occurs or you simply have a bad season.

The above post is one hundred percent true.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier named Naismith Player of the Week
https://texassports.com/news/2021/1/26/womens-basketball-collier-named-naismith-player-of-the-week.aspx
Quote:
Texas Women's Basketball junior forward/center Charli Collier was named the Jersey Mike's Naismith Player of the Week on Tuesday. It is the first time Collier has received the weekly honor from the Naismith Award.

Collier, a Mont Belvieu, Texas native, averaged 22.5 points, 19.5 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in a pair of Texas wins this past week over TCU (71-54) and No. 24 Iowa State (70-59). Against TCU, Collier scored 23 points and grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds, becoming only the fifth player (eighth occurrence) on UT record to record 20-plus rebounds in a game.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so today we can see Collier v. Mack which should be interesting. 7:30 Eastern on Big 12 or ESPN+

link thanks to Shades:
https://www.espn.com/watch/catalog/45cd175c-f9f2-338b-83b9-6d7d64001733/ncaa-women-s-basketball#bucketId=2 (ESPN+)

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well Mack totally outplayed Collier today. Collier with the great 'pro body' and got lots of rebounds, but man she struggled to score over Mack.

Collier with 10 pts and 17 rebs but 5-20 shooting.
Mack with 21 and 15 with 6 blocks 2 steals. 8-16 from two but only 5-10 from FT.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well Mack totally outplayed Collier today. Collier with the great 'pro body' and got lots of rebounds, but man she struggled to score over Mack.

Collier with 10 pts and 17 rebs but 5-20 shooting.
Mack with 21 and 15 with 6 blocks 2 steals. 8-16 from two but only 5-10 from FT.

Did Mack and Collier guard each other 1-on-1 for pretty much the whole night? Or did either team constantly send doubles at them?

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Did Mack and Collier guard each other 1-on-1 for pretty much the whole night? Or did either team constantly send doubles at them?

Not many doubles, if any. They guarded each other for most of the first half. Then Collier got into foul trouble, sat for awhile, and Ebo guarded Mack even after Collier returned.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not many doubles, if any. They guarded each other for most of the first half. Then Collier got into foul trouble, sat for awhile, and Ebo guarded Mack even after Collier returned.

I still prefer Collier

higher ceiling IMO

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I still prefer Collier

higher ceiling IMO

You could be right. Let's look at my scouting "housekeeping" notes. Collier was visibly taller when the two players stood together for the opening tip. Charli also looks a lot stronger. Mack is a more fluid athlete who seems to play with good instincts. Collier is a bit mechanical and stiff. She also looks like she is trying too hard. Natasha is a great natural shot-blocker. Charli doesn't challenge many shots. However, Collier is two years younger so she has a longer runway.

I posted previously that Mack was clearly a better player than Collier last season, and based on tonight’s match-up that still seems to be the case. Except for rebounding, Mack outplayed Collier in almost every aspect of the game. So, what if Mack outplays Collier again in two weeks (February 10th)? If she is clearly the best player available, it wouldn’t shock me if NY takes her at #1. No, Natasha doesn’t shoot 3s, so she wouldn’t be the prototypical Walt Hopkins post player. However, the Liberty system incorporates a lot of Oregon’s offense to make it as Sabrina-friendly as possible. A key factor for the Ducks was the interaction between Ionescu and Ruthie Hebard. The latter was primarily a low post scorer, so there’s no reason why NY can’t run those same plays for Mack. It’s not ideal based on Hopkins’s vision, but it’s also not a tremendously difficult adjustment. And if all else fails, I can see Kolb taking Mack as trade bait.

That said, with all the bunnies Collier missed today, it looks like she’d fit in perfectly with the Liberty. Razz

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I still prefer Collier

higher ceiling IMO

And, put Collier on a team with Ionescu, Nurse, Johannes, hopefully a healthy Durr, and she will look DRASTICALLY different. The college game is a guards game and the Texas guards are terrible.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I still prefer Collier

higher ceiling IMO

You could be right. Let's look at my scouting "housekeeping" notes. Collier was visibly taller when the two players stood together for the opening tip. Charli also looks a lot stronger. Mack is a more fluid athlete who seems to play with good instincts. Collier is a bit mechanical and stiff. She also looks like she is trying too hard. Natasha is a great natural shot-blocker. Charli doesn't challenge many shots. However, Collier is two years younger so she has a longer runway.

I posted previously that Mack was clearly a better player than Collier last season, and based on tonight’s match-up that still seems to be the case. Except for rebounding, Mack outplayed Collier in almost every aspect of the game. So, what if Mack outplays Collier again in two weeks (February 10th)? If she is clearly the best player available, it wouldn’t shock me if NY takes her at #1. No, Natasha doesn’t shoot 3s, so she wouldn’t be the prototypical Walt Hopkins post player. However, the Liberty system incorporates a lot of Oregon’s offense to make it as Sabrina-friendly as possible. A key factor for the Ducks was the interaction between Ionescu and Ruthie Hebard. The latter was primarily a low post scorer, so there’s no reason why NY can’t run those same plays for Mack. It’s not ideal based on Hopkins’s vision, but it’s also not a tremendously difficult adjustment. And if all else fails, I can see Kolb taking Mack as trade bait.

That said, with all the bunnies Collier missed today, it looks like she’d fit in perfectly with the Liberty. Razz

This will sound strange because of the evidence of todays game but I can see Collier as a #1 pick, I don't see Mack as a #1 pick

one of the problems with this draft has always been it is hard to see any of the crop as a #1 pick. Had Sabally or Carter stayed in school yes they could be #1 picks but no one is screaming "it is me". Maybe because of the way Collier looks like a W big I can see it more than the others. It may be visual bias.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I posted previously, Collier does look like she comes out of central casting. Is that enough reason to take her number 1? Maybe in this draft it is. Laughing

However, I will say one thing. Collier has to own tonight's performance. She shot 5-20 without being double-teamed. I believe she missed 3 open jumpers, so she was 5-17 from right under the basket. That can't be blamed on the Texas guards, Vic Schaefer or anyone else. Charli was bad all on her own. She looked like she was tight and trying too hard. Meanwhile, Mack was just doing her thing and Natasha's game seemed to flow naturally. That was a stark contract between the two players.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As I posted previously, Collier does look like she comes out of central casting. Is that enough reason to take her number 1? Maybe in this draft it is. Laughing

However, I will say one thing. Collier has to own tonight's performance. She shot 5-20 without being double-teamed. I believe she missed 3 open jumpers, so she was 5-17 from right under the basket. That can't be blamed on the Texas guards, Vic Schaefer or anyone else. Charli was bad all on her own. She looked like she was tight and trying too hard. Meanwhile, Mack was just doing her thing and Natasha's game seemed to flow naturally. That was a stark contract between the two players.

Would you take Mack with the #1 pick?

Not arguing, just curious.

Also would you consider trading the pick? or trading down for someone else (maybe even Mack)?

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't feel that strongly I suppose. Before today's game, my probabilities would have been:

Collier 60%
Kuier 20%
Other 20%

Mack was part of the Other. Here's the point. I've seen more bad games than good ones from Collier since she started playing conference games. If that continues, how long can you ignore the on-court performance just because Charli looks like she should be a good player? I definitely know where you're coming from because I'm basically in the same place. If the draft were tomorrow, I'd take Collier. But at some point, you have to step back and ask yourself if you're being realistic or if you're just in love with some dream version of Collier.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what Dallas thinks of Collier

picks 2 and 5 for pick 1

yes/no?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the report & all the analysis (and there is a lot Very Happy ), root. I accept/agree with basically all of it. Collier may not be the #1 if she plays like this again vs. Mack, or vs. anyone else at any point in the season. Her season shooting % has now slipped below 50%. No, her 26% from 3 statistic doesn't help matters, but all of it is concerning. Worse: in 8 conference games thus far, Collier is shooting 38%! That's it! You know who else shot 38% in conference play their senior season? Joyner Holmes. She faced the same issue where she looked the part in several other facets, but simply couldn't put the goddamn ball in the basket often enough both in her senior season at Texas and her rookie season with the Liberty. Shit, maybe Karen Aston just ruined them from the start.

Anywho, not that J-Spoon asked me, but I would absolutely consider taking Mack #1 overall (she's shooting 50% in both conference play and on the season, fwiw), even if Collier has the perceived higher ceiling. Even if Mack doesn't learn how to shoot 3s, she can absolutely still be a great player at the next level with all the other skills she brings. 3PT shooting is overrated imo anyway. And I would also absolutely consider trading the #1, straight-up or in a package deal, for either someone good or a 1RP next year. 1 for 2 & 5? Yes.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
You know who else shot 38% in conference play their senior season? Joyner Holmes. She faced the same issue where she looked the part in several other facets, but simply couldn't put the goddamn ball in the basket often enough both in her senior season at Texas and her rookie season with the Liberty.

So, the more appropriate question is would you take Charli Collier with the 19th pick? Laughing

Stormeo wrote:

Shit, maybe Karen Aston just ruined them from the start.

Poor Karen Aston. She gets blamed for everything. She'll probably get blamed for any Texans who stormed the Capitol Building.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
You know who else shot 38% in conference play their senior season? Joyner Holmes. She faced the same issue where she looked the part in several other facets, but simply couldn't put the goddamn ball in the basket often enough both in her senior season at Texas and her rookie season with the Liberty.

So, the more appropriate question is would you take Charli Collier with the 19th pick? Laughing

Laughing Damn though, Collier is doing herself no favors with her inconsistency. And she & Texas haven't even played Baylor yet. Thoughts & prayers to them when the time comes.

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Shit, maybe Karen Aston just ruined them from the start.

Poor Karen Aston. She gets blamed for everything. She'll probably get blamed for any Texans who stormed the Capitol Building.

Laughing Collier originally committed to UConn before doing a 180 & going with Texas. So even though I'm sure it helped that Texas was in-state for Collier, we at least can give some credit to Aston for getting Collier there, even if Aston couldn't keep herself there. Twisted Evil I gotta say, I don't think Geno would let Collier play like this as a senior if she had started out in his program!

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the key number from Stormeo: 38% against Big 12 competition.

From a 6-4 post who should have an advantage inside every game -- and won't have that advantage in the WNBA.

You don't have to be a great scorer to be an effective WNBA post, but you do have to make shots close to the rim.

What an awful draft ...

PostPosted: 01/28/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rennia Davis has the two-way versatility to be a WNBA star
https://fansided.com/2021/01/28/rennia-davis-two-way-versatility-wnba-star/

This is a long thorough article with video clips.

Quote:
Tennessee forward Rennia Davis is arguably the top wing prospect in the 2021 WNBA Draft and, if things break the right way in terms of early-entry candidates, is a potential option for the New York Liberty with the top overall pick. Could the Lady Vols senior see her name called first by WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert?

The Liberty are definitely wingier than any other team in the WNBA, including the Wings. (Trade names?)

Quote:
What makes Rennia Davis such a compelling prospect?

Let’s start with Davis’ defense because there are fewer question marks on that side of the ball when it comes to fitting her into a WNBA team.

Quote:
And while 3-point shooting is a valid concern when we’re talking about wing prospects, we can’t ignore that Davis has also been a really effective scorer in the paint. Per CBB Analytics, Davis is shooting 75 percent at the rim and 53.4 percent in the non-rim part of the paint. Both of those numbers rank in the 86th percentile nationally.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis as #1 Shocked
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This part is more realistic
Quote:
Realistically, I’d expect Davis to be drafted somewhere between No. 3 and No. 6, with a lot coming down to team needs.

While I agree she's a good player, she's not a #1, and NY needs another wing like they need a covid outbreak. My problem with Davis is that whenever I watch Tennessee, it takes me awhile to figure out which one she is. Burrell OTOH stands out every time. Davis sometimes looks great and sometimes disappears. For example her game against UConn was certainly not outstanding. And UConn defense is probably the closest she will see to WNBA defenses. It will be interesting to see her against SoCaro. Also in general my impression is that she's better at home than away.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Let’s start with Davis’ defense because there are fewer question marks on that side of the ball when it comes to fitting her into a WNBA team.

(highlight thanks to Shades)

There is less room for Tamara Young clones in the league than there used to be.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Worse: in 8 conference games thus far, Collier is shooting 38%! That's it! You know who else shot 38% in conference play their senior season? Joyner Holmes. She faced the same issue where she looked the part in several other facets, but simply couldn't put the goddamn ball in the basket often enough both in her senior season at Texas and her rookie season with the Liberty.

yep. The other thing about that is that even a lot of teams in-conference don't have bigs to match up with her so that 38% is particularly concerning for a player who mostly shoots right around the rim. I do think people (hi j-spoon - but not just you) are taken up with the eye candy. She looks like a great physical specimen and obviously has put in the work to get those muscles. Plus on the court she is aggressive and moves people out of the way and goes for rebounds like crazy. There's just that one major issue of struggling to put the ball in the basket, and mostly inside 6 feet....

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I search for a comparable player, it seems like Collier is a lower wattage version of Kristine Anigwe. They're physically similar, both have problems scoring around the basket, and both are prolific rebounders. Actually, Kristine was even better off the boards than Collier. She was also a more aggressive shot-blocker. The other similarity between them is that Anigwe and Collier are both self-aware and ambitious individuals. Kristine spoke openly about wanting to be a truly great player when she was in college. Meanwhile, if I recall correctly, Collier first committed to Texas, then switched to UConn, then switched back to Texas. Was she already trying to position herself in the most favorable way to further her career? Currently, we all assume Charli is coming out early because she spoke about it on a video last year. And then there was that promotional video of her working out that suddenly appeared. It does seem like Collier consciously plans her career. I just wonder if she thinks about this stuff too much and is putting a lot of pressure on herself to perform.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Quote:

(highlight thanks to Shades)

There is less room for Tamara Young clones in the league than there used to be.

I don’t get much of a Tamera Young vibe from her, but Young did play in 372 games covering 12 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 20 of 53

Jump to: