RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/01/20 3:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The right situation for any player is to be able to start ASAP. That player will either swim or sink. The second best situation is to play at least twenty minutes per game. With that amount playing time a player can demonstrate what she can do.

+1. That just never happened for KML. Hopefully for New York's and Walker's sakes, that'll happen for Walker. I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out. Oof, I can't imagine what drafting two KMLs onto the team would've been like for the Storm lmao.

PostPosted: 05/01/20 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would disagree about starting right away, because if you start right away and fail, you're pretty much done.

For some players -- not all -- it makes more sense to play a lesser role the first year or two while you figure things out, work on your weaknesses, etc. Then when you do get the chance, you have the best chance to succeed.

PostPosted: 05/01/20 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out.

Walker and Willoughby may have similar body types, but there are notable differences in their games. Walker shot almost twice as many 3's as Willoughby (173 vs 89). Meanwhile, Jocelyn shot more than twice as many free throws (193 vs 95) as Megan in two fewer games. Willoughby is much better off the dribble. She has more ability to create her own shot and is much more willing to take it to the hoop. Walker is the better jump shooter. Defensively, Walker is probably the better positional rebounder, but Willoughby plays with more energy. I can see her being used for trapping and pressing.

And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
six sense

PostPosted: 05/01/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good scouting report Root- thing could not have broken it down better

PostPosted: 05/01/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I would disagree about starting right away, because if you start right away and fail, you're pretty much done.

For some players -- not all -- it makes more sense to play a lesser role the first year or two while you figure things out, work on your weaknesses, etc. Then when you do get the chance, you have the best chance to succeed.

So if you draft a player with a great college resume' and you really need her to start because she is the best option that you have at that position. I believe that she should start.

PostPosted: 05/02/20 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post... Embarassed

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/10/20 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out.

Walker and Willoughby may have similar body types, but there are notable differences in their games. Walker shot almost twice as many 3's as Willoughby (173 vs 89). Meanwhile, Jocelyn shot more than twice as many free throws (193 vs 95) as Megan in two fewer games. Willoughby is much better off the dribble. She has more ability to create her own shot and is much more willing to take it to the hoop. Walker is the better jump shooter. Defensively, Walker is probably the better positional rebounder, but Willoughby plays with more energy. I can see her being used for trapping and pressing.

Agree, re: Walker. This is why I think she needed another year of college. She has got to improve off the bounce and creating her own shot. She developed into a great shooter and her overall game both offensively and defensively, is good, but I think she could have improved by leaps with one more year of college.

mavcarter
#NAPT

PostPosted: 05/10/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding slashing, it doesn’t appear to be one of those skills that just come from a little work. Usually, the great players have had that ability to do it for a long time.

And it’s not like college coaches truly care to develop players when they leave their program..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: