RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 04/17/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Dreading the “spin” and talk, just for the sake of talking. Can’t have people who can’t debate or have real knowledge just agree and suck up to one another. Hoping for any kind of good showing for the sake of the game.

Despite everything, Draft night is my favorite night of the season. It is about the only night that I watch the NBA coverage every year. I like seeing the highlights, and hearing about the "unlimited upside", the "freakesh athleticism", and so on, even when I don't know anything about the players. Very Happy

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/17/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Dreading the “spin” and talk, just for the sake of talking. Can’t have people who can’t debate or have real knowledge just agree and suck up to one another. Hoping for any kind of good showing for the sake of the game.

Despite everything, Draft night is my favorite night of the season. It is about the only night that I watch the NBA coverage every year. I like seeing the highlights, and hearing about the "unlimited upside", the "freakesh athleticism", and so on, even when I don't know anything about the players. Very Happy

I also love draft night, though for both leagues I try to watch all Liberty and all Sacramento Kings games 😍

I’m super excited for 4....five hours seems so far away!
I enjoy the emotions of the players, families and coaches, as well as most players “I’m speechless I don’t know what to say” interviews lol

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/17/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Randy wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

I also love draft night, though for both leagues I try to watch all Liberty and all Sacramento Kings games 😍

I’m super excited for 4....five hours seems so far away!
I enjoy the emotions of the players, families and coaches, as well as most players “I’m speechless I don’t know what to say” interviews lol

Good for You! I love to see positive enthusiastic fans... Very Happy

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/17/20 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Drafts are inherently boring -- the interviews are pablum, the highlights pointless and the analysis (especially for people on this board) reveals nothing new.

The picks and trades themselves are interesting, but there are really only about 15 (generously) selections that matter, and those will be five minutes apart.

And specifically, for all of us, ESPN will be aiming this at a general audience that they have to assume knows little about any of the players, so we're going to hear the same stuff we've heard before, and talked about endlessly. With commercials.

Then again, what else do we have to do?

For someone who is as quick as you are to talk about the league in terms of ratings/attendance/revenue-centered morality, it strikes me as odd that you would criticize this production as if you don't get that this is ultimately a television show, and all the stuff you hate about it are exactly the reason why the people holding the purse strings are willing to put it on the air, in the first place.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/17/20 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Drafts are inherently boring -- the interviews are pablum, the highlights pointless and the analysis (especially for people on this board) reveals nothing new.

The picks and trades themselves are interesting, but there are really only about 15 (generously) selections that matter, and those will be five minutes apart.

And specifically, for all of us, ESPN will be aiming this at a general audience that they have to assume knows little about any of the players, so we're going to hear the same stuff we've heard before, and talked about endlessly. With commercials.

Then again, what else do we have to do?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I assume they'll show us video highlights, most of which we've already seen and repeat themselves ad nauseam. I assume it's a good thing for our game...but not very interesting for real fans. It will be somewhat interesting to see who picks who after the first 6. It would actually be nice if they had a few highlights of those picked in later rounds, just to give them their moment in the sun. At least we (hopefully) won't have to try to figure out who has been picked by watching the streaming ticker at the bottom of the screen.

For a friend who doesn't have tv: what's the best way for him to see the picks. Will there be somebody tweeting them...or?

WNBA just sent out an email saying to download google app and you can watch it live from your phone.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks 09. I'll pass that on.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/17/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
thanks 09. I'll pass that on.

Laughing Laughing Laughing After reading the steps i stopped halfway myself Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/17/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

For a friend who doesn't have tv: what's the best way for him to see the picks. Will there be somebody tweeting them...or?

Here is ESPN’s Draftcast. I doubt WNBA.com will have anything comparable.
https://www.espn.com/wnba/draft/live

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/17/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t have cable, but I paid for a month of SlingTV just so I could watch this on my own television lol.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/17/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has anyone mentioned whats happening with rounds 2 and 3... normally it goes to nbatv but i don't see that for this year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
has anyone mentioned whats happening with rounds 2 and 3... normally it goes to nbatv but i don't see that for this year.

The draft is 3 hours long with the first pick not announced til 730 est on ESPN id hope they don't just squeeze the first round in a 2 1/2 hour window.

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/17/20 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Normally it goes to ESPNews, but since there’s no other new sports programming going on, I think they’re sticking with ESPN tonight.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

The ESPN show runs 2 hours this year. In previous years it was only 1 hour for the first round.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

The draft is 3 hours long with the first pick not announced til 730 est on ESPN id hope they don't just squeeze the first round in a 2 1/2 hour window.

Two hours, not three.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gianna Bryant, Alyssa Altobelli, Payton Chester to be honorary picks at WNBA draft

Quote:
Gianna Bryant, Alyssa Altobelli and Payton Chester, who were among nine killed in a January helicopter crash that also claimed the life of Kobe Bryant, will be honorary selections in Friday's WNBA draft, according to Gianna's mother, Vanessa.

Vanessa Bryant posted a message on Instagram on Friday listing the three girls as the "class of 2024."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29050684/gianna-bryant-alyssa-altobelli-payton-chester-honorary-picks-wnba-draft

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting excited.
We'll see if the W GMs mess up as much as this year's NBA GMs did.
(heh)

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Here is ESPN’s Draftcast. I doubt WNBA.com will have anything comparable.
https://www.espn.com/wnba/draft/live

Thanks Shades, needed that.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Two hours, not three.

So if the Draft only runs from 7-9 est, and they don't announce the first pick until 7:30, we only get an hour and a half of coverage for "all 36" picks (aka just the first 12)?? Hmmmmmmmmm, what a surprise. Rolling Eyes Welp, I'm about ready to get this over with!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

As an Aces' fan, I have to say this is the least exciting draft I've ever experienced. Their only pick is #9 in the third round, unless big Bill comes up with some amazing last-minute trades for first round picks.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NM

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ryan Ruocco doesn’t look great with the shaved head. Sad

I hope Bella Alarie has family with her; she probably does but they showed her by herself. Confused Edit: Nvm she has her fam with her. Very Happy

toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal confirms that the Liberty will be picking Ionescu.

https://twitter.com/howardmegdal/status/1251285238342463489

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AND IT BEGINS

Payton Chester, Gigi Bryant, and Alyssa Altobelli selected as honorary draft picks!

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The commish really doesn't want us to see what books are on her shelves Laughing

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Megdal confirms that the Liberty will be picking Ionescu.

https://twitter.com/howardmegdal/status/1251285238342463489

I'M SHOCKED!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If nothing else, they’re doing really well-crafted tributes to the three girls. Crying or Very sad Very touching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: