RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/15/20 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We already have six first round picks that have been traded, a total of 10 times.

That has to be a record, right?

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/20 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the excitement over the Tina Charles trade, I just noticed I never submitted the post below which I wrote like 2 hours ago. Laughing

Obviously, some of the stuff from the press conference is misdirection from the coaches. Nonetheless, there were some interesting tidbits from both sessions:

- When Hopkins was asked about the top players he scouted for the #1 pick, he mentioned the big four plus Harris. He seems to think Harris is the 5th best player. Lobo speculated that Harris could go to Atlanta at #4 based on her discussions with scouts. Is there a lot more Ty Harris love out there from WNBA people than there is among basement dwellers?

- When asked about Walker and Herbert Harrigan, Sandy Brondello went off on a tangent and started praising Bella Alarie. Was that Sandy letting her guard down or a giant smoke screen?

- It’s interesting that Lobo, who watches a lot of UConn basketball, thinks that Walker could be available to Phoenix at #10.

- I agree with Bibb about the job Kim Mulkey has done the last two years, turning SG Chloe Jackson and combo guard Te’a Cooper into pretty good college PGs. I would throw in Kristy Wallace and Alexis Jones from previous years, not to mention true PG Niya Johnson. It’s time we start referring to Kim Mulkey as The Point Guard Whisperer. This does raise a question about whether Cooper can keep playing well without Mulkey constantly in her ear. Cooper’s performance this season was way better than anything she had done previously.

- As others have pointed out, what Reeve had to say about Dangerfield was surprising. It’s also interesting to note that despite predicting Crystal would be the second PG taken after Harris, Reeve also projected that Dangerfield would go late 1st Round. So, that logically pushes Cooper to even lower 1st Round or high 2nd Round.

- The fact that Hopkins didn’t even bother to scout Erica Ogwumike says a lot. She’s been granted a certain amount of respect because of the Ogwumike name, but we’re talking about a 5-9 guard who shot .172 from 3Pt range and averaged 2.4 apg. If you’re 5-9, you’d better be a good shooter or a good playmaker. The fact that Erica pulled down 10.1 rpg is unlikely to translate in the WNBA. I think she is a 3rd Round pick at best and may go undrafted.

PostPosted: 04/15/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
We already have six first round picks that have been traded, a total of 10 times.

Six first round picks were traded in 2004 and 2006. Seven were dealt in 2017.

I don't see any other drafts with 10 trades of first round picks.

PostPosted: 04/15/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So is it fair to update the draft order now with the Tina trade announced ?

Im satisfied we still have picks 2/5/7 a chance for 3 impact players from this draft.

+1 😎

Shades

PostPosted: 04/15/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Has any other player been traded for a net gain of 6 players?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/15/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
So is it fair to update the draft order now with the Tina trade announced ?

Im satisfied we still have picks 2/5/7 a chance for 3 impact players from this draft.

+1 😎

+2

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/15/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
With all the excitement over the Tina Charles trade, I just noticed I never submitted the post below which I wrote like 2 hours ago. Laughing

Obviously, some of the stuff from the press conference is misdirection from the coaches. Nonetheless, there were some interesting tidbits from both sessions:

- When Hopkins was asked about the top players he scouted for the #1 pick, he mentioned the big four plus Harris. He seems to think Harris is the 5th best player. Lobo speculated that Harris could go to Atlanta at #4 based on her discussions with scouts. Is there a lot more Ty Harris love out there from WNBA people than there is among basement dwellers?

- When asked about Walker and Herbert Harrigan, Sandy Brondello went off on a tangent and started praising Bella Alarie. Was that Sandy letting her guard down or a giant smoke screen?

- It’s interesting that Lobo, who watches a lot of UConn basketball, thinks that Walker could be available to Phoenix at #10.

- I agree with Bibb about the job Kim Mulkey has done the last two years, turning SG Chloe Jackson and combo guard Te’a Cooper into pretty good college PGs. I would throw in Kristy Wallace and Alexis Jones from previous years, not to mention true PG Niya Johnson. It’s time we start referring to Kim Mulkey as The Point Guard Whisperer. This does raise a question about whether Cooper can keep playing well without Mulkey constantly in her ear. Cooper’s performance this season was way better than anything she had done previously.

- As others have pointed out, what Reeve had to say about Dangerfield was surprising. It’s also interesting to note that despite predicting Crystal would be the second PG taken after Harris, Reeve also projected that Dangerfield would go late 1st Round. So, that logically pushes Cooper to even lower 1st Round or high 2nd Round.

- The fact that Hopkins didn’t even bother to scout Erica Ogwumike says a lot. She’s been granted a certain amount of respect because of the Ogwumike name, but we’re talking about a 5-9 guard who shot .172 from 3Pt range and averaged 2.4 apg. If you’re 5-9, you’d better be a good shooter or a good playmaker. The fact that Erica pulled down 10.1 rpg is unlikely to translate in the WNBA. I think she is a 3rd Round pick at best and may go undrafted.

Sandy forgot Herbert-Harrigan was even a part of the original question, that was.....interesting Laughing

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Has any other player been traded for a net gain of 6 players?

Shatori will be a RFA after this season, Hill likely wont be playing for the Libs and the 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks the Libs got from the Mystics likely wont make the Libs team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All right, y'all. I'm getting myself mentally prepared for how bad this telecast has the potential to be. I know the drill at this point, as it relates to this League. Commercial breaks every one to two picks in the first round. Collective loss of broadcast(er) interest in the second hour, in a unique year where due to lack of live sports-related broadcasts there arguably should've been a scheduled third hour. The Draft Board accordingly being shown to the viewer only every other selection - after a commercial break, for maybe five seconds (ten if we're lucky) - all the while the broadcast itself is littered with trivial interviews and choppy supercuts, maybe with extra analysis about some player sprinkled in during an awkward break in the mundane conversation.

But now with this Draft being a telecast, you add in on top of all that the reception/signal possibly cutting in and out as it pertains to the players/interviewees, the broadcasters, and/or the Commissioner aka the primary League representative. So it could make for a very painful television experience, on a very frustrating night; where many across the country have nothing better to do on a Friday night these days and might actually, naively, give this event a chance.

I say all of this not to be a complete downer and acid-rain on any size of parade, but to remind at least myself to limit my expectations about what is sure to be a far-from-perfect broadcast and minimize any emotional letdown over its quality. More importantly I plan to keep my focus as much as possible on the 36 players that will have deserved to hear their names called.

So I expect, if nothing else, that if the broadcast indeed doesn't turn out to be fun - that as a Board we'll (once again) pick up the slack and, goshdarnit, make the night fun (for) ourselves. Smile Happy Draft Day.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/17/20 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the first live sporting event that will actually matter (no offense iRacing or to the NBA's H.O.R.S.E competition or 2K tourney). It's the first sporting event that won't need an asterisk to specify "season canceled or shortened due to coronavirus pandemic 2020."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/04/17/wnba-draft-remotely-coronavirus-shutdown-day-37-without-sports/5141899002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
stever

PostPosted: 04/17/20 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WNBA draft prospects give sneak peek at Friday night attire

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29042736/wnba-draft-prospects-give-sneak-peek-friday-night-attire

Randy

PostPosted: 04/17/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
All right, y'all. I'm getting myself mentally prepared for how bad this telecast has the potential to be.

You might be right, but it seems that most broadcasters now even local TV channels have no problem jumping from one location to another. I think the biggest issue might be the disparity in equipment, either phones or web cams, among the various participants. I think most of the players are probably already pretty adept at this kind of tech so it could be pretty smooth. (But, I get it - WNBA is not exactly known for doing things right.) One thing that they should do (but probably won't) is to do a dry run beforehand. Anyway, if doesn't have to be a screwed up mess.......

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are sending actual camera crews to a few places – probably for the sure-thing 1st Rounders like Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Carter. However, I expect the rest to be via Zoom or Skype. Zoom can handle up to 1,000 users on a single call for the paid version, and 100 people on the free option. Skype can handle up to 50 people for one meeting. So, just have every realistic prospective draftee call in at the beginning of the show and then punch them up when needed. Yes, a test run beforehand would be wise, but with so many people involved it’s probably going to be hard to corral everyone for a rehearsal. And during the show, people may get bored and wander away from their computer or phone. That's the fun part. Smile

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are sending actual camera crews to a few places – probably for the sure-thing 1st Rounders like Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Carter. However, I expect the rest to be via Zoom or Skype. Zoom can handle up to 1,000 users on a single call for the paid version, and 100 people on the free option. Skype can handle up to 50 people for one meeting. So, just have every realistic prospective draftee call in at the beginning of the show and then punch them up when needed. Yes, a test run beforehand would be wise, but with so many people involved it’s probably going to be hard to corral everyone for a rehearsal. And during the show, people may get bored and wander away from their computer or phone. That's the fun part. Smile

Yea, we might see some player whose gotten depressed about not getting called early hitting the fridge for ice cream or beer.......

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

50 people wouldn't be enough to cover every realistic prospective draftee. 100 probably wouldn't either. I've got 122 players on my board and I guarantee you someone will get chosen who isn't on it.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's always that rare chance a D2 player gets picked. Any D2 player worth a look for anyone?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
There's always that rare chance a D2 player gets picked. Any D2 player worth a look for anyone?

Hailey Diestelkamp was D2 POY. She's a 5'11 PF.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Hailey Diestelkamp was D2 POY. She's a 5'11 PF.

So no.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said, the paid version of Zoom handles up to 1000 people at once. Are you guys saying the WNBA is too cheap to pay for it? Razz

As Randy mentioned earlier, if they miss someone, they can always dig up a still picture of the player from somewhere. No big deal.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bella Alarie is going to have to put some meat on those bones if she's going to thrive in the WNBA. I'm rooting for you Bella though you wont be drafted by the Mystics.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/20 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/wnba-draft-2020-prospect-profiles/

PostPosted: 04/17/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafts are inherently boring -- the interviews are pablum, the highlights pointless and the analysis (especially for people on this board) reveals nothing new.

The picks and trades themselves are interesting, but there are really only about 15 (generously) selections that matter, and those will be five minutes apart.

And specifically, for all of us, ESPN will be aiming this at a general audience that they have to assume knows little about any of the players, so we're going to hear the same stuff we've heard before, and talked about endlessly. With commercials.

Then again, what else do we have to do?

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
50 people wouldn't be enough to cover every realistic prospective draftee. 100 probably wouldn't either. I've got 122 players on my board and I guarantee you someone will get chosen who isn't on it.

We have years of evidence that they don't give a crap about anyone outside the first round, though. Apart from the very occasional Astan Dabo, 50 would typically be more than enough for the top 12.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Drafts are inherently boring -- the interviews are pablum, the highlights pointless and the analysis (especially for people on this board) reveals nothing new.

The picks and trades themselves are interesting, but there are really only about 15 (generously) selections that matter, and those will be five minutes apart.

And specifically, for all of us, ESPN will be aiming this at a general audience that they have to assume knows little about any of the players, so we're going to hear the same stuff we've heard before, and talked about endlessly. With commercials.

Then again, what else do we have to do?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I assume they'll show us video highlights, most of which we've already seen and repeat themselves ad nauseam. I assume it's a good thing for our game...but not very interesting for real fans. It will be somewhat interesting to see who picks who after the first 6. It would actually be nice if they had a few highlights of those picked in later rounds, just to give them their moment in the sun. At least we (hopefully) won't have to try to figure out who has been picked by watching the streaming ticker at the bottom of the screen.

For a friend who doesn't have tv: what's the best way for him to see the picks. Will there be somebody tweeting them...or?

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/17/20 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dreading the “spin” and talk, just for the sake of talking. Can’t have people who can’t debate or have real knowledge just agree and suck up to one another. Hoping for any kind of good showing for the sake of the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: