RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Larson Uses Racial Slur On Live Stream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:29 am    ::: Larson Uses Racial Slur On Live Stream Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There was a stunned silence afterward before Anthony Alfredo responded, "Kyle, you're talking to everyone, bud."

Added Aron MacEachern: "Yup, we heard that."

Said host of the viral stream, Justin Botelho: "Oh damn, he did not just say that."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motorsports/kyle-larson-appears-to-use-racial-slur-on-nascar-iracing-live-stream/ar-BB12x2cJ?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i just know no one's gonna have the nerve to express shock about this. it sounds like he was just giving a shoutout, much the same way many black people give other black people a shoutout.

you see? we cannot get wrong-headed people to stop saying the n-word if we ourselves continue to use the n-word. none of this "i can say it, but you can't" bullshit. plus, wrong-headed people are probably too stupid to discern a difference. but that's beside the point.

black folk who continue to use the n-word - in everyday life, in music, in film, wherever - all but guarantee that we'll keep hearing the n-word where and when it's not welcome.

PostPosted: 04/13/20 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
i just know no one's gonna have the nerve to express shock about this. it sounds like he was just giving a shoutout, much the same way many black people give other black people a shoutout.

you see? we cannot get wrong-headed people to stop saying the n-word if we ourselves continue to use the n-word. none of this "i can say it, but you can't" bullshit. plus, wrong-headed people are probably too stupid to discern a difference. but that's beside the point.

black folk who continue to use the n-word - in everyday life, in music, in film, wherever - all but guarantee that we'll keep hearing the n-word where and when it's not welcome.

It is definitely not my place to police the language of the African-American and other long-oppressed communities.

What I will say is that I have lost count of the number of young white students, many who are incredibly progressive in ideology, yet think there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying the "n" word as long as they're singing along with a song. At least at the beginning of the course, by the end they usually have a wider understanding of the issue and have changed their minds. But these tend to be generally intelligent and well meaning kids who just have a blind spot. So what does that mean for the full on dumbasses out there, or those who don't already accept systemic racism as a truth?

PostPosted: 04/13/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

Yep. But culture is (almost?) impossible to change. And therein lies the truth about life in this world. How it always was and always will be. It's completely encapsulated by this one simple example of who we are and who we always will be. It's perfect. It's never going to work like some ideal. Everybody sucks.

In our hearts, in our DNA, deep in our hard-wired instincts, we're unfair. We just pick and choose when and where to apply our unfairness. Those who completely and absolutely have the desire and are able to circumvent our natural unfairness as a species are probably mentally or emotionally disturbed people. They may do great good though so whatever. But they're like genetic accidents. Mutations.

Man, what was in my coffee this morning? Shocked

PostPosted: 04/13/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Larson has been reprimanded, suspended, and otherwise slammed by every racing organization that he's associated with.

Quote:
Kyle Larson was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR on Monday for using a racial slur on a livestream during a virtual race. Chip Ganassi Racing also suspended Larson without pay.

The star driver said there was "no excuse" for his comment and apologized in a video posted on his social media accounts. "I made a mistake and said the word that should never, ever be said," Larson said. "There is no excuse for that. I wasn't raised that way. It's just an awful thing to say. I feel very sorry for my family, my friends, my partners, the NASCAR community and especially the African American community. I understand the damage is probably unrepairable and I own up to that. But I just want to let you all know how sorry I am and I hope everybody is staying safe during these crazy times."

NASCAR ordered Larson to complete a sensitivity training course before he's eligible for reinstatement. "NASCAR has made diversity and inclusion a priority and will not tolerate the type of language used by Kyle Larson during Sunday's iRacing event," NASCAR said in a statement. "Our Member Conduct Guidelines are clear in this regard, and we will enforce these guidelines to maintain an inclusive environment for our entire industry and fan base."

Larson also was suspended indefinitely by iRacing. "iRacing considers itself to be a welcome and inclusive community for racing enthusiasts all around the world. We have strict policies against offensive behavior and language. Kyle Larson's language last night during a streamed online race was both offensive and inappropriate, and in violation of our sporting code. As such, Kyle Larson has been suspended indefinitely from the iRacing service," it said in a statement.

"We are extremely disappointed by what Kyle said last night during an iRacing Event. The words that he chose to use are offensive and unacceptable. As of this moment we are suspending Kyle without pay while we work through this situation with all appropriate parties," Ganassi Racing said in a statement.

There were ramifications from Larson's sponsors. Credit One Bank denounced Larson's "highly offensive language" and said it supports the "quick actions" by NASCAR and Larson's team. Chevrolet suspended its personal services relationship with Larson "as we do not tolerate this behavior." McDonalds is another one of his primary sponsors.

And, ironically...
Quote:
Larson is half-Japanese -- his grandparents spent time in an internment camp in California during World War II -- and he climbed from short-track racing into NASCAR through its "Drive for Diversity" program. He is the only driver of Japanese descent to win a major NASCAR race.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/29029403/nascar-driver-kyle-larson-uses-racial-slur-virtual-race

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 04/14/20 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

Kyle said it with the ER at the end and so casually at that too smh.Nobody black is saying with ER like Kyle did as a shoutout. Anybody who ever played a video knows how racist the language gets with a certain gamers like it takes the fun out of playing with others online. As far as Black people using it well I don't think anybody should be using that hateful word but white people have the history of using it in a hateful way black people don't.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/20 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And he got fired.

Quote:
Chip Ganassi Racing announced Tuesday that it has fired driver Kyle Larson after his use of a racial slur during the livestream broadcast of an iRacing event on Sunday night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2020/04/14/nascar-kyle-larson-fired-chip-ganassi-racing-over-racial-slur/2988865001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/15/20 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
And he got fired.

Quote:
Chip Ganassi Racing announced Tuesday that it has fired driver Kyle Larson after his use of a racial slur during the livestream broadcast of an iRacing event on Sunday night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2020/04/14/nascar-kyle-larson-fired-chip-ganassi-racing-over-racial-slur/2988865001/

Money talks. Larsen's sponsors and Chevrolet all pulled their support yesterday, leaving Ganassi with no options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: