RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/20/20 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden leads Trump. So did Hillary Clinton. For Democrats, it’s a worrisome campaign deja vu

“Democrats went to the polls last time certain they would elect the first woman ever to become president, and were punched in the face with a Trump upset. This time they feel the punch coming from a thousand miles away. The worry is visceral and widespread, unassuaged by Biden’s lead in the polls.“

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-biden-clinton-election-dejavu/2020/10/18/808e8620-0fb2-11eb-8074-0e943a91bf08_story.html

PostPosted: 10/20/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ORRRR....

We can heed the 'experts' who strongly disagree with the above. Cool

https://www.wpr.org/polls-missed-mark-2016-experts-say-things-are-different-2020

Polling is (allegedly) better now. Wink

*My* simple logic is this:

SHE earned ~ 3 million more votes than HE did 4 years ago. The person who voted for her last time, and is now voting for him is more elusive than the chimera/unicorn hybrid. And while we all know popular vote isn't The Be All-End All, it's not irrelevant here.

SHE forfeited even more votes through her inattention to key swing/rust belt states. Biden is better there. Way better.

SHE was -- love her or hate her -- a known quantity 4 years ago. HE was NOT; at least not in political arenas. This year? He's repeatedly proven he's a Dud....an incompetent, petulant, irrational, Dud who relies on criminals to run his administration. (Does ANYONE know what his 'platform' even is today?? Shocked )

Yes, 2016's polls present an extremely vivid cautionary tale. But I'm staking my hopes on "us" having learned a thing or three.

PostPosted: 10/20/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Biden, after more than 40 years in Washington and two previous presidential runs, is very much a known quantity.

PostPosted: 10/20/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Joe Biden, after more than 40 years in Washington and two previous presidential runs, is very much a known quantity.

....which (to me) plays in his favor...."We tried the New and Wacky, now we're ready for some mental stability."

His reputation is far less tarnished than Hillary's was 4 years ago.

PostPosted: 10/20/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Talk about damning with faint praise!

PostPosted: 10/20/20 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Hillary Clinton's negative numbers were HUGE. In part due to her less than warm personality but more due to Bill's shenanigans and her decision to "stand by her man."

By contrast, Biden's negatives are pretty darn low for any candidate while 45's are even more negative than Hillary's were 4 years ago.

This matters. It basically means that more of the few undecideds will vote for Biden than for 45, just as more voted for 45 than for Hillary Clinton. It's just the law of averages. Those high negatives mean that - no matter what - those people will not vote for them.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 10/20/20 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In additional to a positive favorability versus Clinton's negative, Biden has had a larger and more consistent lead than Clinton. National polls are meaningless with the electoral college, but he is also leading in the battleground states for the most part. Even states like Georgia and Texas are in play. I think his campaign is concerned that since his lead has been so big for so long, people will not show up to vote thinking they don't need to.

Five Thirty Eight now has the odds favoring the Democrats to win the Senate.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/20/20 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Biden has had a larger and more consistent lead than Clinton. I think his campaign is concerned that since his lead has been so big for so long, people will not show up to vote thinking they don't need to.

And THAT is the TRUE "corruption" in federal politics. The Founding Fathers knew what the deal was, some 250 years ago. American citizens today struggle with our pitiful educational system to understand these things, even today in this politically charge climate.

We talk about rights, freedoms, liberties. Those are the sweet stuff - they work for us every minute of the day, regardless of whether we spend our days on the couch watching cartoons scarfing down cheese puffs. We don't have to do a THING - and they work for us, because we were BORN with them.

We were ALSO born with something else, that we hardly ever talk about. It's not so sweet as the other stuff. This something else, we actually HAVE to put in work, sweat, effort on to make it work for us. It does absolutely NOTHING for us unless we make it, and it may be even more important than the freedoms and liberties, and rights we all have. The Founding Fathers knew this.

But we don't care. In 1980s, the Japanese also knew. In the '80s, the Japanese were to us what today the Chinese are. The Japanese were the ones buying all our corporations, beating us in manufacturing (mostly of quality products too, like automobiles, electronics and staple appliances - not cheap, plasticky junk that the Chinese mostly bloats our markets with) and buying property rights in the U.S.

They pegged us dead to rights - they called Americans "fat, lazy, arrogant, self-entitled". Said we thought we had already won the universe, and would reside at the top of the mountain for all eternity. We didn't like it one bit, too. But they were totally right.

And we've been sliding down that mountain ever since, like it was a water park ride.

In Presidential elections, the last time north of 60% of voter-eligible turnout took place at the polls, was in 1968. Just north of 60%??? I guess democracy really doesn't matter much to Americans anymore. We love to claim our patriotism about US soldiers fighting and sacrificing their lives for the defense and protection of those rights, freedoms, and liberties, but we're too fat and lazy to do it ourselves - even when doing it doesn't require us to join a military service, or wear a military uniform, or go off to foreign lands and fight in wars.

In 2016, only 55.7% of the voting eligible population even bothered to get off their couches to go vote for the Presidency. Some 140 million of the some 250 million American Citizens old enough to vote.

Of those 55.7%, around 46% voted for Donald Trump. That represented 25% - 1 out of every 4 - of Americans who COULD HAVE VOTED, if they only cared enough to.

That of course means.......that 75% of voting eligible American citizens DID NOT vote for the man who currently sits in the Oval Office.

That has NOTHING to do with Democracy. Nothing to do with the majority vote. Trump earned no majority of the popular vote, nor a majority of the total eligible vote.

The Founding Fathers understood. The "unspoken" unalienable right given to all US Citizens - the red-headed stepchild and sibling to Freedoms and Liberties, that we have to actually WORK at to make work for us: Responsibility. It was always there.

No one else can take responsibility for us. No one. The instant that becomes a reality, then that's when we truly are NOT "free".

We call the President, Congress, the Supreme Court "leaders". In truth, they are leaders like the owner of a business promotes an employee into a supervisory role, to lead over department staffs, shift staffs, etc. Because the owner can't be everywhere at all times. But then watch that supervisor start telling that owner how he's going to do business - how it's going to be - and then watch that employee get taken down a notch or three.

That's what we mean by "leaders". But WE THE PEOPLE are still the owners of this enterprise we call the United States of America. It IS us. Congressmen, Supreme Court Justices, even Presidents.....do NOT bring ANY power or authority to the table, but their own individual rights, freedoms, and liberties they own as US Citizens. All the other powers and authorities, are OURS. We ALLOW them to use OUR powers as representatives to us.

So it was as the Founding Fathers intended it to be. The ONLY ones who own this country, is the PEOPLE. The ONLY ones who can dictate how great this country can be, are the PEOPLE. But also, the ONLY ones who can bring this country down into a smouldering rubble of garbage, is also the PEOPLE. We will be RESPONSIBLE for ALL of it.

No one can take it away from us. But very easily, WE THE PEOPLE can give it away - straight to Hell in a hand basket. That's how the Founding Fathers left it to us....

pilight

PostPosted: 10/20/20 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the reason for poor turnout in the presidential elections particularly is that the vast majority of votes don't matter thanks to the electoral college. Unless you live in one of a handful of battleground states (only six flipped from 2012 to 2016) your presidential vote is irrelevant.

Congressional races are even worse. Out of 435 seats there are maybe 30 competitive races due to gerrymandering. I had a devil of a time finding information about the Democrat running in my district. Apparently he's a local dentist. That's still better than last time, when my congressman was unopposed.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantage

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-joe-biden-donald-trump-impeachments-8ac355b6ebd62b19d8a44fedcbf5b128

Quote:
He tapped his political organization to cover exorbitant legal fees related to his impeachment. Aides made flashy displays of their newfound wealth — including a fleet of luxury vehicles purchased by Brad Parscale, his former campaign manager.

Meanwhile, a web of limited liability companies hid more than $356 million in spending from disclosure, records show.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantage

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-joe-biden-donald-trump-impeachments-8ac355b6ebd62b19d8a44fedcbf5b128

Quote:
He tapped his political organization to cover exorbitant legal fees related to his impeachment. Aides made flashy displays of their newfound wealth — including a fleet of luxury vehicles purchased by Brad Parscale, his former campaign manager.

Meanwhile, a web of limited liability companies hid more than $356 million in spending from disclosure, records show.

I read this yesterday. Then laughed last night when I saw that Pence was going to do an event in Fort Wayne tomorrow. Spending time in FW is like preaching to the choir.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/21/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Part of the reason for poor turnout in the presidential elections particularly is that the vast majority of votes don't matter thanks to the electoral college. Unless you live in one of a handful of battleground states (only six flipped from 2012 to 2016) your presidential vote is irrelevant.

Congressional races are even worse. Out of 435 seats there are maybe 30 competitive races due to gerrymandering. I had a devil of a time finding information about the Democrat running in my district. Apparently he's a local dentist. That's still better than last time, when my congressman was unopposed.

I agree that the electoral college can invalidate the popular vote, however, I don't think the EC dissuades people from voting simply because the vast majority of eligible voters don't even know what it is. I agree with Conway Gamecock and I think that people don't vote mostly because they're apathetic, lazy, or irresponsible.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/20 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://youtu.be/3UoPB7SvCGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/25/20 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 10/21/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That may be PART of the reason, but I hope it's a relatively small one. And I get that: folks like NY, WY, OK or CA residents might think, "Why bother?" I still think the down-ballot voting, especially on local initiatives, can motivate people. I choose to vote at every opportunity, but not all folks do....I wish it was somehow mandatory, or tied to a *carrot*, like a tax break if one votes.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be very shocked to see Trump lose this election. Very shocked. We’ll know soon enough though. Well, actually not soon enough but you know what I mean. Wink

PostPosted: 10/21/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle Storm endorse Biden/Harris.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/storm/2020/10/21/joe-biden-kamala-harris-get-support-wnba-champion-seattle-storm/3722503001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/20 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ALyRkkUOMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump's twitter hacked again

https://www.vn.nl/trump-twitter-hacked-again/

Quote:
Gevers tries a few other passwords:

!IWillAmericaGreatAgain!
MakeAmericaGreatAgain
MakeAmericaGreatAgain!
Maga2020
Maga2020!
maga2020!

Plong! At the last try, he gets kicked off the site. Or at least, that is what it seems like – for a split second. Because he then realizes, he’s back in Donald Trump’s Twitter account, just like he was 4 years ago.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-business-partner-email-genuine-joe-biden-advice

Quote:
Hunter Biden business partner calls email 'genuine,' says Hunter sought dad's advice on deals

Tony Bobulinski, who was listed as the recipient of an email published by the New York Post that appeared to detail a business arrangement involving a Chinese company and members of the Biden family, has confirmed that the email is "genuine" and provided more information regarding the Bidens' role in the deal.

The email includes a note that “Hunter has some office expectations he will elaborate.” A proposed equity split references “20” for “H” and “10 held by H for the big guy?” with no further details.

"The reference to 'the Big Guy' in the much publicized May 13, 2017 email is in fact a reference to Joe Biden," Bobulinski said in a statement to Fox News.

Bobulinski said he is the CEO of Sinohawk Holdings, which he explained "was a partnership between the Chinese operating through CEFC/Chairman Ye and the Biden family." He said he was brought on as CEO by Hunter Biden and James Gilliar, who was listed as the sender of the email.

Bobulinski went on to say he does not believe Joe Biden's past claim that he and Hunter did not discuss his son Hunter's business, claiming that Hunter "frequently referenced asking him for his sign-off or advice on various potential deals."

"I’ve seen Vice President Biden saying he never talked to Hunter about his business. I’ve seen firsthand that that’s not true, because it wasn’t just Hunter’s business, they said they were putting the Biden family name and its legacy on the line," Bobulinski said.

"The Biden family aggressively leveraged the Biden family name to make millions of dollars from foreign entities even though some were from communist controlled China," he added.

Bobulinksi also said that he believes that the Chinese involvement in the deal was "political or influence investment" on their part, and that "Hunter wanted to use the company as his personal piggy bank by just taking money out of it as soon as it came from the Chinese."

Bobulisnki added that the Senate Homeland Security and Finance Committees requested that he turn over "all documents relating to my business affairs with the Biden family as well as various foreign entities and individuals," and that he intends to fully cooperate.

"I have extensive relevant records and communications and I intend to produce those items to both Committees in the immediate future," he said.

Let's see how much of this is covered in tonight's debate.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/22/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Trump goes all in on the emails in tonight's debate. Literally no one outside of Trump's bases gives a shit about them. So if Biden is up their talking about COVID and healthcare and white supremacists and the economic struggles of the paycheck to paycheck people who were hit the hardest by the COVID economy and who haven't felt any of this "bounce-back" that Trump keeps referencing...and Trump's answer is "Those Hunter Biden Emails..." he's gonna lose bigly.

For anyone who thinks this is another 2016, you really should be following Nate Silver and 538. Not only have the polls themselves corrected for what they saw as their mistakes in 2016 (which wasn't really that bad of mistakes...there were basically two state polls that missed the mark, the rest fell squarely within their margin of errors), but the conditions of the race this time are *much* more favorable for Biden than they were for Clinton at this point.

Namely:
1) The National Polls have him ahead by near double digits. Remember, the National Polls nailed the 2016 election. The final weighted averages by 538 suggested a Clinton popular vote win by about 2.5%. She won by about 2.1%. The EC/Popular Vote tipping point is right about there. Once you start getting above 5%, it's just not going to happen.

Now, that double digit lead could well tighten a bit in the last couple weeks. In fact, it's more likely than not to do so to some degree. Clinton's lead in the National Polls tightened significantly between Oct 20th and election day. But that brings us to significant difference #2...

2) In many/most polls, including the national ones, Biden has over 50%. In this election, as compared to 2016, there are *significantly* fewer undecided voters at this point. So for the race to tighten to any large degree, Trump would have to convince BIDEN voters to change their minds. That is much harder to do than sway someone who's still fence-sitting. It also makes the race much more resistant to last minute surprises. In 2016 the high number of undecideds were the reason the Comey letter had such an outsized impact on the election, and likely tipped the scales. A Comey letter is not going to have that effect on decided voters, thus this election is going to take something much more earth shattering to have a similar effect.

Anyone who thinks Trump is some sort of political genius rather than a one-trick pony whose trick just happened to coincide with the perfect storm of circumstance, hasn't been paying attention. He is about to get beaten in a landslide and is likely to take what should have been a safe Senate majority with him.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump posted the 60 Minutes interview.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/national/trump-posts-unedited-60-minutes-interview-before-it-airs/

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/22/20 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Honey, there's a stranger on the phone. Wants to know if we're voting for Trump."

PostPosted: 10/22/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
For anyone who thinks this is another 2016, you really should be following Nate Silver and 538.

I do. And I've come away with the same basic summary of what's *different* this time around. However....SO FAR....it's still close enough that I'm not allowing any dreams of a landslide. Razz (yet)

Re: the e-mails? If that's the GOP's big "October S'prise", meh. Who can begin to count the ill-gotten $$$ of 45's offspring? But....NONE of them are running for president.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Down on the corner
Out in the street
Willy and the Poor Boys are playin'
Bring a nickel, tap your feet

That's my takeaway from the third debate

PostPosted: 10/22/20 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
justintyme wrote:
For anyone who thinks this is another 2016, you really should be following Nate Silver and 538.

I do. And I've come away with the same basic summary of what's *different* this time around. However....SO FAR....it's still close enough that I'm not allowing any dreams of a landslide. Razz (yet)

Re: the e-mails? If that's the GOP's big "October S'prise", meh. Who can begin to count the ill-gotten $$$ of 45's offspring? But....NONE of them are running for president.

Yeah, not super confident in the landslide prediction. But I will say that if we were to chart potential outcomes by likelihood of their occurance, I would rank "Biden wins in landslide" above "Trump wins the election". I think the most likely outcome is probably "Biden wins comfortably".

As far as the debate it was much better this time around. Both were much more substantive. Unlikely to move the needle in either direction, which is very bad news for Trump. Ultimately Biden staked out the much more popular positions and Trump preached to his base. The people most happy with the debate will probably be Biden's camp and down ticket GOP candidates who might have seen their chances completely destroyed had Trump repeated his first debate. While his performance won't change his fate, he did manage to not nuke the entire ticket this time.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: