RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which Championship Player(s) Have Benefited The Most?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/07/20 9:52 pm    ::: Which Championship Player(s) Have Benefited The Most? Reply Reply with quote

Which all-time great player(s) who have won at least one WNBA championship have benefited the most from playing with another great(s)?

With all due respect to their teammates, how does it help the argument Delle Donne & Catchings (especially Catch who won a championship over a legendary lineup) are that much greater than those listed below due to winning with less star power around them? This isn’t my argument but I just thought it would be an interesting question to ask.

You say what???

Cynthia Cooper (Swoopes, Thompson, Arcain)
Sheryl Swoopes (Cooper, Thompson, Arcain)
Tina Thompson (Cooper, Swoopes, Arcain)
Lisa Leslie (Delisha Milton-Jones)
Deanna Nolan (Cash, Ford, Smith)
Katie Smith (Nolan, Ford)
Swintayla Cash Canal (Ford, Nolan, Smith, Jackson, Bird, Smith)
Lauren Jackson (Sue Bird)
Sue Bird (Lauren Jackson)
Diana Taurasi (Pondexter, Taylor, Griner)
Cappie Pondexter (Taurasi, Taylor)
Brittney Griner (Taurasi, Taylor)
Maya Moore (Augustus, Whalen, Fowles)
Sylvia Fowles (Moore, Augustus, Whalen, Brunson)
Lindsay Whalen (Moore, Augustus, Fowles, Brunson)
Seimone Augustus (Moore, Fowles, Whalen, Brunson)
Rebekkah Brunson (Moore, Fowles, Whalen, Augustus)
Yolanda Griffith (Penicheiro)
Patrícia Penicheiro (Griffith)
Candace Parker (Ogwumike)
Nneka Ogwumike (Parker)

Last edited by Genero36 on 04/10/20 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total
adamj95

PostPosted: 04/07/20 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore. Amazing talent but fell into a great situation with the Lynx and then got Fowles to join halfway through the Dynasty.

PostPosted: 04/07/20 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles.

PostPosted: 04/08/20 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brunson is probably the only player that benefitted from the Monarchs' folding.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/20 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lottery Lynx went from lottery team to championship in Maya’s rookie year. How often does that happen? Maybe once under the old Shock team? I would say the Lynx benefitted from Maya more than the other way around. That’s how great she is. Her presence changed the culture of the team just like that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/20 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notice who's not even an option on that list?

Catchings.

GOAT.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/08/20 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is difficult because sometimes great players make others look better.

I think Cappie benefited the most in terms of considerations of individual greatness. Her numbers stayed great for a little while in NYC - but she didn't look like the same player.

But Moore benefited the most in terms of championships. Or really, all of the Minnesota players did. I still think Whalen was the most important player on those championship teams.

Catch's Indiana team reminded me the great Detroit Pistons that beat the stacked Kobe/Shaq Lakers team from the get go. They weren't all stars, but you weren't going to score on them.

If we get an NBA playoffs this year, it's why I fully expect the Clippers to win. They do have one more star than Indiana (and 2 more, really) and Detroit had - but they aren't the huge names that some other team has...and again..no one will score on them.

PostPosted: 04/08/20 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="mercfan3"]

But Moore benefited the most in terms of championships. Or really, all of the Minnesota players did. I still think Whalen was the most important player on those championship teams.

/quote]

There are a lot of Lynx fans who will swear by Brunson. She was the one who would just figure what was needed and do it. A block, a crucial pass, a board. She was unafraid to get dirty to get a win. In the 2017 Finals, her best 3 games were the 3 Lynx victories.

Whalen gave the leadership, Moore the commitment to compete, Augustus the willingness to let others have the spotlight and the willingness to defend. Fowles was the icing on the cake, the pure post presence.

PostPosted: 04/08/20 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Angel McCoughtry?

PostPosted: 04/08/20 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Angel McCoughtry?

Sorry pilight. This is just about who has won at least one championship.

PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner.

PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
Bonner.

Uh, what's say we hold off on calling Bonner a "great" player, yeah? She has yet to play a meaningful game without at least 2 of the Top 15 players in the league backing her up. And the only time in her career that she's played a significant number of games without some combination of Taurasi, Taylor, Pondexter, Dupree and/or Griner, they went 7-27.

Based on available data, she's a "great" player in about the same sense that Draymond Green is a "great" player, in the men's game.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/08/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson (Sue Bird)

jap

PostPosted: 04/09/20 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Angel McCoughtry?

Sorry pilight. This is just about who has won at least one championship.

Teams win championships - not individual players![/b]

PostPosted: 04/09/20 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:

Teams win championships - not individual players![/b]

This thread isn't about teams. It's about individual players who have helped lead their teams to championships.

If anything, it's about which great championship player would most likely be in McCoughtry´s position had she didn't have the benefit of her championship teammate(s).

PostPosted: 04/09/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
If anything, it's about which great championship player would most likely be in McCoughtry´s position had she didn't have the benefit of her championship teammate(s).

The #HateHard in me wants to say Maya Moore, but the correct answer is Seimone Augustus... Except there's no way in hell that the 2010 version of McCoughtry misses the playoffs, on a team that had Prime!Whalen and Prime!Brunson.

Mone played three seasons (she gets a Mulligan on the injury season) without a superteam built around her, and one season with three-quarters of one built around her, and never even sniffed the playoffs.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

McCoughtry never had teammates of the caliber of any of those listed, or even the caliber of Catchings' teammates.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/10/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
or even the caliber of Catchings' teammates.

What teammates has Catchings played with who are so much better than what McCoughtry has played with?

PostPosted: 04/10/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

What teammates has Catchings played with who are so much better than what McCoughtry has played with?

Nikki McCray and Natalie Williams are Hall of Famers. McCoughtry hasn't played with anyone likely to make the HOF.

Katie Douglas is a four time All WNBA player and was a first teamer before she ever put on a Fever uniform. All of McCoughtry's Dream teammates combined have three All WNBA nods, two of which belong to a player who only played half a season in Atlanta.

Briann January is 10x as good as any PG Atlanta has ever had.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/10/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Nikki McCray and Natalie Williams are Hall of Famers. McCoughtry hasn't played with anyone likely to make the HOF.

Katie Douglas is a four time All WNBA player and was a first teamer before she ever put on a Fever uniform. All of McCoughtry's Dream teammates combined have three All WNBA nods, two of which belong to a player who only played half a season in Atlanta.

You’ve convinced me! Cool

PostPosted: 04/10/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

You’ve convinced me! Cool

The Dream beat the Fever in 2011 and 2013 to get to the Finals. Indiana beat the Dream along the way to the Finals and the Championship in 2012. Not completely clear the "other" Fever players were that superior to the "other" Dream players. I certainly would not say Angel was better than Catchings. In one of the series the Dream won, Catchings was limited by a foot injury.

Last edited by Randy on 04/10/20 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes.

And also: McCray and Williams both joined the Fever well past their prime. McCray was there for two years, and in the second scored just under 4 points a game. Williams was in Indiana the last three years before she retired. In the first she looked mostly like the Natalie Williams we all think of, but was nothing like the prime-time Williams.

Briann January was steady and a great defender. She also has the same number of all-star appearances as Izi Castro-Marquez, Layshia Clarendon, Elizabeth William, etc.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes.

And also: McCray and Williams both joined the Fever well past their prime. McCray was there for two years, and in the second scored just under 4 points a game. Williams was in Indiana the last three years before she retired. In the first she looked mostly like the Natalie Williams we all think of, but was nothing like the prime-time Williams.

Briann January was steady and a great defender. She also has the same number of all-star appearances as Izi Castro-Marquez, Layshia Clarendon, Elizabeth William, etc.

There was not a time in Catchings career that the Fever would have traded January straight up for any of them

PostPosted: 04/10/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes.

There was not a time in Catchings career that the Fever would have traded January straight up for any of them

True.

The point, though, is that with the big exception of Douglas the gap isn't nearly as big as you want to make it.

I say that has someone who has consistently thought the Angel was ridiculously underrated.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/10/20 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Not completely clear the "other" Fever players were that superior to the "other" Dream players.

They weren’t, but let pilight tell it.. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: