RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mid-Major Player of the Year Award (Her Hoop Stats)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/28/20 8:14 am    ::: Mid-Major Player of the Year Award (Her Hoop Stats) Reply Reply with quote

Her Hoop Stats is proud to announce that Becky Hammon (Colorado State, 1995-99) has graciously agreed to be the namesake for our Mid-Major Player of the Year Award. The Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award is the first of its kind and recognizes excellent players in any of the 25 mid-major conferences.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/mid-major-player-of-the-year-watch

https://cdn.substack.com/image/fetch/c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:good/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F6732c9c3-edca-4f98-a3f9-85dea7b91676_2400x1350.png

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/28/20 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe they're not considering JMU's Kayla Cooper-Williams, but it looks like post players are not in consideration. Oh well.

PostPosted: 01/28/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, sometimes people give out awards like this, and player of the week, and only look at points scored. For instance, Madison Nelson was given player of the week for the Summit League this week, but it should’ve gone to Monica Arens. Monica hustled her ass off and filled in every box on the stat sheet for two games. She had multiple blocks in both games, steals, dove on the floor, took charges ( if you’ve never seen Monica Arens take a charge, you need to, you are in for a treat! It’s her specialty...), forced turnovers, everything! Including a good number of points, on a team where players share the points pretty well. (Lots of assists).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/28/20 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I can't believe they're not considering JMU's Kayla Cooper-Williams, but it looks like post players are not in consideration. Oh well.

To be eligible, a player may play for any conference except the Power 5 conferences, the Big East, and the American Athletic Conference. This leaves 25 eligible Division I conferences.

James Madison is in the CAA, so a player cannot be excluded on that basis.

There are no centers on the list, but post play is not only at the center position. Having not seen all of the players, it is difficult to determine if some of the forwards are primarily paint scorers but who can occasionally step out.

That being said, I would agree with you that the list is very "guard-heavy."

jacob.mox

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Unfortunately, sometimes people give out awards like this, and player of the week, and only look at points scored.

I am the curator for the watch lists for the award. While I can't speak for conference player of the week awards, I did want to say that the simplest stat to attribute value to are points. We did get some feedback following the mid-season 15-player watch list that we were omitting a few players who might have deflated stats from playing with other great players and we did our best to address those concerns in the upcoming list of 10 semifinalists. We also weighed efficiently scoring a bit higher than previously for this upcoming release. We appreciate the discourse, as it helps us in future decisions

jacob.mox

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

To be eligible, a player may play for any conference except the Power 5 conferences, the Big East, and the American Athletic Conference. This leaves 25 eligible Division I conferences.

There are no centers on the list, but post play is not only at the center position. Having not seen all of the players, it is difficult to determine if some of the forwards are primarily paint scorers but who can occasionally step out.

We did have a discussion about the fact that the list is fairly guard-heavy. The next list will have a better balance, but one theory that was brought up that the shorter players are often overlooked by high-majors, so it is more common for very talented guards to slip by the blue-bloods than a super talented forward. Our namesake Coach Hammon can attest to that!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like the CAA gets ignored generally and has since ODU left.

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there an actual, physical award or is it just a virtual thing?

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Is there an actual, physical award or is it just a virtual thing?

It has been discussed, but not sure about the logistics of it. Hopefully though!

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jacob.mox wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
Unfortunately, sometimes people give out awards like this, and player of the week, and only look at points scored.

I am the curator for the watch lists for the award. While I can't speak for conference player of the week awards, I did want to say that the simplest stat to attribute value to are points. We did get some feedback following the mid-season 15-player watch list that we were omitting a few players who might have deflated stats from playing with other great players and we did our best to address those concerns in the upcoming list of 10 semifinalists. We also weighed efficiently scoring a bit higher than previously for this upcoming release. We appreciate the discourse, as it helps us in future decisions

Thanks for responding, we do appreciate that you are listening to us fans.

jacob.mox

PostPosted: 01/28/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
jacob.mox wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Thanks for responding, we do appreciate that you are listening to us fans.

You're welcome! Our main goal is to make everything, whether it is our stories or podcasts or stats website, as accessible as we can

jacob.mox

PostPosted: 02/04/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey all, the 10 semifinalists for the Becky Hammon Award presented by Her Hoop Stats were announced earlier today. As you can see, we heard your suggestions and looked more at scoring efficiency rather than just scoring average.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/becky-hammon-mid-major-player-of

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/04/20 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10 worthy candidates IMO. good job.

- Amanda Gorman
Coyotes

PostPosted: 02/04/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
10 worthy candidates IMO. good job.

Seconded.

If you break it down by fantasy team---

Coyotes and Miracles lead with 3, Matt has 2, and Pureform has 1. There is 1 player that hasn't been snapped up by Rebkell's Fantasy League.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/10/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Finalists
Her Hoop Stats names five student-athletes finalists for the inaugural Becky Hammon Award presented by HHS

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/becky-hammon-mid-major-player-of-4b3

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still can't figure out why JMU gets so consistently ignored, but whatever. *shrug* I suspect Kamiah Smalls will get more than a few looks from the W. She's CAA POY, anyway.

PostPosted: 03/27/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey all! We at Her Hoop Stats are going to be announcing the winner of the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year on Tuesday, March 31. Before the announcement, I just wanted to bump our release with the five finalists:

http://bit.ly/2020HammonFinalists

Keep an eye out for the release, it will be about 10 a.m. CT on Tuesday!

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/28/20 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I wonder if they'll change the American's involvement once UCONN leaves next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: