RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What is with the "casual Friday" dress of coaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:47 pm    ::: What is with the "casual Friday" dress of coaches Reply Reply with quote

Geno shows up unshaven, wearing pullovers, going braless....everyone in sneakers, etc etc

Covid led to this how, exactly?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m happy not to see the women teetering in spiked heels in crouch, jump and stomp mode. Laughing

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it started with the WNBA wubble during the summer when slobbery and Hawaiian shirts abounded. The attitude of some seems to be that this is a lesser season so lesser attire is appropriate. And there are a lot of days or weeks devoted to charitable causes and social awareness with related T-shirts (e.g. We Back Pat and pink breast cancer awareness T-shirts).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/11/21 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think part of it is trying to keep everything clean. No suit, no trips to the dry cleaners, if they are even open. It's a lot easier to throw a track suit into the washer and dryer than it is to get all your shirts and suits dry cleaned.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/11/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a game -- why do coaches need to dress up?

And of course, anything to keep Kim Mulkey from deploying her fashion sense is something to celebrate.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I think it started with the WNBA wubble during the summer when slobbery and Hawaiian shirts abounded. The attitude of some seems to be that this is a lesser season so lesser attire is appropriate. And there are a lot of days or weeks devoted to charitable causes and social awareness with related T-shirts (e.g. We Back Pat and pink breast cancer awareness T-shirts).

Yes. I still remember Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer and his unshaven look with a headband. At the time, I thought his impression of Stephen Bannon just isn't going to work. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/11/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I think part of it is trying to keep everything clean. No suit, no trips to the dry cleaners, if they are even open. It's a lot easier to throw a track suit into the washer and dryer than it is to get all your shirts and suits dry cleaned.

Great point! I hadn’t thought of that.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 02/11/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dry cleaners have been deemed essential workers in most states...dressing down for games with the salaries that coaches make is lazy and ridiculous.

Do CEO's or college President's dress down because of dry cleaner concerns- NO!

I cannot believe that this is their job and they are choosing to dress like they are at practice!

Just because butts are not in the stands, fans are watching from home like they always did when coaches dressed up.

Take some PRIDE in your job, and your dress code should not change just because of a virus.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/11/21 12:07 pm    ::: Re: What is with the "casual Friday" dress of coac Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Geno shows up unshaven, wearing pullovers, going braless....everyone in sneakers, etc etc

Yeah, Geno needs to go back to wearing a bra

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:02 pm    ::: Re: What is with the "casual Friday" dress of coac Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Geno, braless? Who knew? And is it unshaven, or the fashionable new "stubble" look (which I don't care for either)? My spousal unit has a well-maintained beard and has had for years, but the stubble thing is just ICK. And what's wrong with a pullover? I don't see a problem with sneakers, either. The women coaches' fashion for stilettos I thought was/is probably hard on the floors.

And it's certainly not everyone. Did you not watch the UConnTennessee game? Kellie is always dressed nicely. Brenda Frese is no slob either. Or Suzy Merchant, Jonathan Tsipis, Sean O'Regan, and a lot of others I could name. And why do you care so much? It's a GAME, not the red carpet Met Gala!

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's a game -- why do coaches need to dress up?

And of course, anything to keep Kim Mulkey from deploying her fashion sense is something to celebrate.

Razz Laughing Heeey....Kim has definitely ascended up the fashion sense scale!

Frankly, I don't care if they all run around in moomoos. It's all about the GAME! Cool

PostPosted: 02/11/21 5:32 pm    ::: Re: What is with the "casual Friday" dress of coac Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Geno, braless? Who knew? And is it unshaven, or the fashionable new "stubble" look (which I don't care for either)? My spousal unit has a well-maintained beard and has had for years, but the stubble thing is just ICK. And what's wrong with a pullover? I don't see a problem with sneakers, either. The women coaches' fashion for stilettos I thought was/is probably hard on the floors.

And it's certainly not everyone. Did you not watch the UConnTennessee game? Kellie is always dressed nicely. Brenda Frese is no slob either. Or Suzy Merchant, Jonathan Tsipis, Sean O'Regan, and a lot of others I could name. And why do you care so much? It's a GAME, not the red carpet Met Gala!

Someone needs decaf and to not take life so seriously.

Personally, I prefer casual attire. I never understood the GQ/Corp look for basketball games, or anything, for that matter.

The question was how/why did Covid cause people like Geno, et al, to change their approach. When "normalcy" returns, will high fashion as well?

As for women in stillettos- it's asinine. I don't know why they do that to themselves on the sidelines, or anywhere else.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it was Covid. Some coaches always have dressed that way. Others have been fashion forward. And then there are those who are uber flashy, like Kim Mulkey. I saw an interview with her sans makeup once and honestly, she looked better, and a lot younger. And for the record, I agree with you about stilettos. In fact, I asked that very question a couple of years back.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the risk of being called a "body shamer"...

PostPosted: 02/11/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I miss some coaches' unique sartorial flair, and I do appreciate the coaches who do keep dressing up, I'm okay with them dressing down this season. It certainly reflects the COVID-era dress code in most businesses. I think a lot of us have gone somewhat feral.

(I, uh, may have planned to get my biennial shearing right before the ACC tournament. And forgotten. And then *gestures broadly at everything*. SO MUCH HAIR.)

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/12/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
While I miss some coaches' unique sartorial flair, and I do appreciate the coaches who do keep dressing up, I'm okay with them dressing down this season. It certainly reflects the COVID-era dress code in most businesses. I think a lot of us have gone somewhat feral.

(I, uh, may have planned to get my biennial shearing right before the ACC tournament. And forgotten. And then *gestures broadly at everything*. SO MUCH HAIR.)

I just gave myself a COVID haircut a couple of days ago.

Now I need to buy a stylish hat.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've let my hair grow since Covid. It's too long but I'm not cutting it until I don't have to wear a mask everywhere. I did let my spousal unit trim the ends off evenly a couple of months ago but that's it. I just pin it up.

PostPosted: 02/12/21 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I’m happy not to see the women teetering in spiked heels in crouch, jump and stomp mode. Laughing

You mean, like Oklahoma's Sherri Coale?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: