RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN 2020-2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If UConn signs Azzi Fudd, they'll finally have a potentially great shooting class in 2021-22 with her, Saylor Poffenberger and Caroline Ducharme. Makurat will be a junior and Bueckers a soph.

Firepower.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If UConn signs Azzi Fudd, they'll finally have a potentially great shooting class in 2021-22 with her, Saylor Poffenberger and Caroline Ducharme. Makurat will be a junior and Bueckers a soph.

Firepower.

That's an IF.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/14/20 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a 10 min. SNY interview w/ Geno on 4/11/20:

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/huskies-at-home-checking-in-with-uconns-geno-auriemma/313256570

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Firepower.

That's an IF.

YUP SHE'S GOING TO THE LADY VOLS Surprised Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Firepower.

That's an IF.

YUP SHE'S GOING TO THE LADY VOLS Surprised Laughing

I'm gonna assume that's late April Fool's joke from someone locked in with nothing else to do......

PostPosted: 04/19/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Firepower.

That's an IF.

But a very small if.

A big IF is she signs with J.Mad. Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Firepower.

That's an IF.

But a very small if.

A big IF is she signs with J.Mad. Very Happy

Not expected, so a yawner.

PostPosted: 04/26/20 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OSHDAC9oqgw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 04/27/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the video I got the impression that it was herself, not Conlon that Taurasi was asking about when she said 3 titles.

https://youtu.be/88M9-rBXubA

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/04/20 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/upcoming-geno-tuesday-evenings-6-00-pm.156298/

Geno going live on Instagram, Tuesdays at 6pm.

PostPosted: 05/05/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn announces assistant coach Jasmine Lister has resigned. She took a leave of absence at the end of January.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UConn announces assistant coach Jasmine Lister has resigned. She took a leave of absence at the end of January. <a href="https://t.co/LeWApQKvTS">pic.twitter.com/LeWApQKvTS</a></p>&mdash; Charlotte Carroll (@charlottecrrll) <a href="https://twitter.com/charlottecrrll/status/1257704679187906560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/url]

HTF are tweets pasted here? Mad

PostPosted: 05/06/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have no use for Twitter, but there are some news articles and blogs about Jasmine Lister's resignation, e.g.:

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2020/5/5/21248149/jasmine-lister-resigns-from-uconn-womens-basketball

This has been a very odd series of events. First, UConn wrote their job description a few years ago specifically to apply only to Lister, presumably because Geno wanted her. Then she suddenly disappears after a game. Then it's about an illness. Then it's personal reasons. Then it's no reason at all. Now a resignation with no follow-on coaching job reported.

Who has juicy rumors about what really happened?
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/20 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn women vs. Louisville on Dec. 4 highlights upcoming schedule

Quote:
UConn announced that it will play six nonconference games, with four games in the state of Connecticut as well as road games at Baylor and Tennessee. In addition to the game against Louisville, UConn will play Quinnipiac on Nov. 28 and either Mississippi State or Maine on Nov. 29 in the Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Challenge. That event also will take place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.

But it's a little confusing. They appeared to have potentially "over-scheduled" for this upcoming season?

Quote:
While the Big East has yet to release an official conference schedule, UConn also announced that it will play 20 Big East games. As it stands, that leaves the Huskies with 26 scheduled games.

The NCAA Division I Council announced last month that women's teams can schedule a maximum of 25 games if they do not participate in a multiple-team event or 23 games if they do participate in a multiteam event, such as the Hall of Fame Women's Challenge, that includes up to four additional games. An NCAA spokesperson confirmed Friday that those rules remain in place.

The article seems to explain the scheduling snafu away, but I at least still don't really follow. Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 10/18/20 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
UConn women vs. Louisville on Dec. 4 highlights upcoming schedule

Quote:
UConn announced that it will play six nonconference games, with four games in the state of Connecticut as well as road games at Baylor and Tennessee. In addition to the game against Louisville, UConn will play Quinnipiac on Nov. 28 and either Mississippi State or Maine on Nov. 29 in the Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Challenge. That event also will take place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.

But it's a little confusing. They appeared to have potentially "over-scheduled" for this upcoming season?

Quote:
While the Big East has yet to release an official conference schedule, UConn also announced that it will play 20 Big East games. As it stands, that leaves the Huskies with 26 scheduled games.

The NCAA Division I Council announced last month that women's teams can schedule a maximum of 25 games if they do not participate in a multiple-team event or 23 games if they do participate in a multiteam event, such as the Hall of Fame Women's Challenge, that includes up to four additional games. An NCAA spokesperson confirmed Friday that those rules remain in place.

The article seems to explain the scheduling snafu away, but I at least still don't really follow. Laughing

I have no explanation for the rationale but here it is:

A UConn spokesperson said that because the program had been approved to schedule 29 games and a two-game multiteam event before the new COVID-related reductions, it was told that it needed to reduce its original schedule by four games, also per the Division I Council ruling and superseding the 23/25 maximums. That means UConn could, in theory, still schedule an additional nonconference game that would push its schedule to 27 games.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30128374/uconn-women-vs-louisville-dec-4-highlights-upcoming-schedule

Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/20 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-S5TfZJvxPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/11/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige Bueckers in grades 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SwZJXqzJZoU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/13/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Firepower.

That's an IF.

LOL I LOVE HOW THIS POST AGED..

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/21 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#3 UConn will play at #15 Arkansas on Thursday, Jan. 28

Quote:
With both programs looking to add a game because of previous cancellations, the No. 3 UConn women will travel to face No. 15 Arkansas on Jan. 28, it was announced Wednesday.

This matchup gives UConn junior guard Christyn Williams an unexpected "homecoming" game, as she is from Little Rock, Arkansas.

The programs' only previous meeting was Nov. 14, 1998, when the Huskies beat the Razorbacks 100-64 in San Jose, California.

Tipoff is scheduled for 5 pm ET. It will be broadcast on ESPN2.

More insight as to how it came together so quickly from Arkansas Coach Mike Neighbors:

Quote:
“We entered this season knowing cancellation of games could be a possibility, so we started early conversations with our friends in the game that had a similar desire to play the best competition possible with COVID protocols in mind,” Neighbors said. “When Vanderbilt opted out of the season Monday, we were lucky enough that UConn had a common open date as ours. A few texts and a couple of calls later, we got it all set.

“We are so proud of our team for wanting to play against the best teams in the country,” Neighbors continued. “They embrace the challenge of playing against the team that has set the standard for play in our game over the last 25 years. We are thrilled for our fans, too. They get to see another high-quality matchup inside Bud Walton Arena. Thanks to our administration for providing our student-athletes the opportunity to make a game of this magnitude happen so quickly. Coach Auriemma has been nice to me since my first year in college basketball and we can’t thank him and his staff enough for making this game happen.”

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/22/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Herewith, my observations on the difference between the young Diana Taurasi and the young Paige Bueckers at UConn. I write on this because many are comparing Bueckers to Taurasi, no less than Geno himself when Bueckers was a sophomore in high school.

This comparison is valid as far as both players having great predictive court vision and passing skills, as well as accurate three-point and pull-up shots. But I've been re-watching games from Taurasi's freshman and sophomore years, and a significant difference jumps out at me.

In short, Taurasi as a young UConn player was more physical than Bueckers has been and would more aggressively hunt shots when necessary, including physical impact shots. What do I mean?

Taurasi is about the same height as Bueckers but weighed more and was bulkier as a UConn player. In fact, Taurasi didn't slim down to a low body fat physique until the past decade in the pros. Bueckers is very slim.

Both players have very good body control and great shooting touch when on the move or even off balance. But Taurasi would seek much more physical contact, bouncing off bodies. She would frequently collide off players as she ran around off-ball picks to set up her shot, and get hammered a lot by defenders as she did so, to the point of significant bruising.

Taurasi would drive right into the trees, knowing when to do so would open up a shooting alley rather than being a cul-de-sac, and would bounce off players as she powered up off-balance shots. She would deliberately back down players in the paint, feel their body pressure against herself, and then spin in the proper direction for a scoop layup or turnaround jumper. Remember how she backed down Stacey Dales in the NC game, scoring a dagger bucket and fouling Dales out.

Bueckers, on the other hand, is not as aggressive in hunting her own shots, and I really haven't seen her very often deliberately pinball against bodies to make her shots. Bueckers is more of a finesse and surgical driver and shooter, waiting for openings to shoot or drive. She will use sophisticated ball handling and changes of speeds to create her openings, but doesn't seem to favor as much outright body banging to create shooting space as Taurasi did.

Of course, we're only nine games into Bueckers' college career, and she has a lot of time to become more aggressive or otherwise adapt her game if it makes sense for her to do so. And I'm not sure she needs to. She should become the best Paige Bueckers possible, not Diana Taurasi.
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/22/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good observations Glenn. Additionally it appears Paige is more 'civilized' than DT. She still has a killer instinct but the attitude is quite different.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/31/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anna Makurat vs. Aubrey Griffin

After 12 games, I still see lots of debate among UConn fans as to whether, when both are healthy, Anna Makurat should start over Aubrey Griffin or vice versa.

I don't think it's a close call based on performance in games to date. Griffin is dominant in almost every category.

Makurat has played 40% more minutes per game, 28 vs. 20, but since she's played in three fewer games, her total minutes are only slightly ahead of Griffin's, 253 vs. 239. That's close enough to see the disparity in their performance stats.

Griffin has scored more points (111-44) on more made baskets (42-17) on more attempts (72-41), and has shot a higher FG% (58%-41%). Griffin has had more FTM's (25-0) on absurdly more FTA's (34-0). Griffin has more rebounds (64-38), more steals (14-12), more blocks (11-4), and fewer turnovers (9-11). Subjectively, there should be no doubt that Griffin is a better defender and is much faster and quicker.

Makurat has made eight more three-pointers than Griffin (10-2) at a higher 3FG% (32%-18%) and has more assists (34-15).

In sum, Griffin seems to me to be a significantly superior contributor in every aspect of the game except assisting and three-point shooting. But Makurat doesn't really take and make that many three-point shots, and her reluctance to shoot overall and her abysmal failure to get the free throw line even once in nine games speaks volumes about her lack of offensive aggression.

My vote is easily cast to continue starting Griffin over Makurat even when both are healthy.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/31/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
good observations Glenn. Additionally it appears Paige is more 'civilized' than DT. She still has a killer instinct but the attitude is quite different.

She’s a combo of Bird and Taurasi, IMO.

Gotta say, it’s the most fun I’ve had watching a UConn player since the two of them.

PostPosted: 01/31/21 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
My vote is easily cast to continue starting Griffin over Makurat even when both are healthy.

I agree. From a team perspective, Griffin brings energy/defense/rebounding to the starting lineup while Makurat brings shooting and vision to the bench. Those qualities are not otherwise in their respective locations (minus vision from Muhl, somewhat), so I think this provides Geno and the team with the options and balance. Plus, hopefully coming off the bench with the instructions to shoot and look for her shot will "free Makurat up" mentally.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/04/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Picking up here some conversations in the game threads regarding whether Aliyah Edwards should start, I think it's a very reasonable idea for this season and as preparatory for future seasons.

This season, it seems that Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook and ONO are starting fixtures and that the only real issue is the fifth starter. I've made the case above that Griffin should start over a healthy Makurat, but before the season started I had hoped that Edwards would be good enough to start. I now think she is.

ONO and Edwards would make a more formidable rebounding and shot blocking/deterring duo on defense. They should also be able to rotate through the high and low post positions on offense, offering different high-low passing options between themselves, and also different pick-and-roll options with the guards.

One argument against starting ONO and Edwards is that one has be held on the bench to sub for the other when she gets tired or too many fouls. But I think Griffin and maybe McLean can be good bench subs for either ONO or Edwards if those two bigs start.

The second reason to start Edwards now is to prepare her now for a starting role next season and beyond. I think Westbrook will go into the WNBA draft and hence will be gone next season. Freshman Azzi Fudd, likely a better shooter, will take her place as a starter. 6-5 freshman Amari DeBerry should be a strong post player off the bench, so there no longer will be an argument to hold Edwards "in reserve" for ONO on the bench.

Therefore, starting Edwards now may make the current team stronger on post offense and defense, plus give Edwards valuable starting experience for next year and beyond (when ONO is gone). Griffin and McLean will still be available for valuable sub minutes at the forward and post positions this season and next. Geno's "problem" next year will be what to do with all the shooting guards/wings.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 02/05/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't read all the threads here, but if UConn wins out, which would include beating South Carolina, and Ms. Bueckers continues doing what she's been doing, she very well may take NPOY as a freshman. She's exceeded my expectations and her efficiency lately has been remarkable. She has such a consistent shot, in the mid range and deep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: