RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How do COVID and the cancellation affect recruiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/20 12:50 pm    ::: How do COVID and the cancellation affect recruiting? Reply Reply with quote

Increasing money had for years been pushing WCBB recruiting in the direction of men's with an ever greater emphasis on basketball to the exclusion of all else in the minds of many upper tier recruits.

Will the whole pandemic experience and the cancellation of at least this season encourage any reassessment of priorities among recruits? Will staying close to home and family assume greater importance? Will the fleeting nature of sports become evident and re-elevate the importance of education? Will recruits become concerned about the financial strength and viability of athletic departments struggling with the loss of football, TV, and tournament revenue?

Or will dreams of celebrity and dollars overwhelm any recognition of new realities?

Along these lines, should 2020 recruits get a free "do-over" right now if their previous choices and priorities have been overtaken by events? I would ban any recruiting, but give this year's seniors 30 or 45 days from now to withdraw their LOI and make a new choice without penalty. This might seem an unusual proposal from me, usually a stickler on transfer limitations, but these aren't normal times and it seems absurd and unfair to ignore that reality.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/06/20 1:04 pm    ::: Re: How do COVID and the cancellation affect recruiting? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Increasing money had for years been pushing WCBB recruiting in the direction of men's with an ever greater emphasis on basketball to the exclusion of all else in the minds of many upper tier recruits.

Will the whole pandemic experience and the cancellation of at least this season encourage any reassessment of priorities among recruits? Will staying close to home and family assume greater importance? Will the fleeting nature of sports become evident and re-elevate the importance of education? Will recruits become concerned about the financial strength and viability of athletic departments struggling with the loss of football, TV, and tournament revenue?

Or will dreams of celebrity and dollars overwhelm any recognition of new realities?

Along these lines, should 2020 recruits get a free "do-over" right now if their previous choices and priorities have been overtaken by events? I would ban any recruiting, but give this year's seniors 30 or 45 days from now to withdraw their LOI and make a new choice without penalty. This might seem an unusual proposal from me, usually a stickler on transfer limitations, but these aren't normal times and it seems absurd and unfair to ignore that reality.

I agree about the "do-over." I expect most recruits to NYC /NJ and other hard-hit area schools are rethinking their choices right now. Sadly, the odds are pretty good that some recruits will experience a serious illness or death in the family from the pandemic. I don't think the NCAA should have to approve do-overs on a case-by-case basis like they do transfer eligibility waivers, just give everyone a do-over. They'll need to do it before enrollment for online summer terms start though.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/20 1:22 pm    ::: Re: How do COVID and the cancellation affect recruiting? Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
They'll need to do it before enrollment for online summer terms start though.

Not necessarily. It's not like anyone is going to be working out together or with coaches in May or June (or July or August for that matter).

Personally I think it's probably less than 50/50 that there will be any more college basketball played in 2020.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/06/20 3:12 pm    ::: Re: How do COVID and the cancellation affect recruiting? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
They'll need to do it before enrollment for online summer terms start though.

Not necessarily. It's not like anyone is going to be working out together or with coaches in May or June (or July or August for that matter).

Personally I think it's probably less than 50/50 that there will be any more college basketball played in 2020.

That will be a very interesting call. It's almost impossible to see how college football could be played, but if the covid-19 trend is downward in August, you could see a path to a college basketball season. Maybe delay the start of practice and the start of the season, or play the early part in gyms that only sell half or a third of the capacity.

The NBA will obviously do everything it can to play its season, and I have a feeling the NFL will cobble together some kind of empty-stadium, made-for-TV season at some point, so if those leagues make it work, there will be precedents.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: