RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 07/06/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a good resource on USA Today that tracks coronavirus cases by ZIP Code.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2020/06/30/maps-covid-19-rich-and-poor-neighborhoods-show-big-disparities/3257615001/

Because Florida is a big state, it is helpful to see how the virus is being handled in the different areas. Bradenton is near Sarasota, south of Tampa and is mostly handling it pretty well. My parents live down there half the year, so I know the area pretty well. The areas that are most hard hit in Bradenton are not surprisingly the ones that are the poorest. The area where the IMG is are much more wealthy and thus the virus rates are lower there.

-Lisa

PostPosted: 07/06/20 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's been some speculation about the delay in the schedule. Basically ESPN is holding them up as they can't get it worked out with ESPN to air the appropriate number of games that's in their contract. This was my worry with the NBA hogging up 4 nights on ESPN.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/06/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure the schedule is set up. The games start 7/24 and Reeve mentioned their first game is on 7/25.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/20 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m pretty sure the schedule is set up. The games start 7/24 and Reeve mentioned their first game is on 7/25.

I think it's moreso they can't release the schedule if the TV schedule isn't finished as well.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/07/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.timesleader.com/sports/790721/wnba-most-older-coaches-ok-with-florida-virus-risk
These old coaches seem more informed and rational than most of the people on this board.

Thibault
Quote:
“There’s no guarantee. Living in D.C., I wear my mask and stay away from people,” said Thibault, who turns 70 in September. “You go to the grocery store or have food delivered, there is some risk involved in your life. That’s the nature of the virus. I’m not at the same risk as that grocery store worker or restaurant owner heading to work every day. We’re going to a controlled environment.”

Quote:
“If people do what they are supposed to do, we’ll be safer than the rest of the country,” Thibault said. “We are going to a facility where we are minimizing risk and we should be in a safe environment.”

Agler
Quote:
“It’s our job,” said Dallas Wings coach Brian Agler, who is one of the five. “I’m not more concerned because it’s Florida, as the virus is hitting everywhere right now.”

Stanley
Quote:
“I know that Dan had a difficult decision to forego the 2020 WNBA season,” said Indiana Fever coach Marianne Stanley, who is 66. “My colleagues and I will certainly miss seeing him on the sidelines this summer; however, we all respect his decision to prioritize his health at this time and continue to wish him well.”

Laimbeer
Quote:
“They definitely have the testing and medical protocols down,” the 63-year-old coach said.

Kloppenburg
Quote:
I ain’t skurt!

Just kidding. They didn’t have a quote from 67 yr old Gary Tentsuit Kloppenburg.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/07/20 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
These old coaches seem more informed and rational than most of the people on this board.

There is literally nothing in that article which indicates that they are "more informed" than anybody on this board (they may well be, but you can't tell it by anything that was said in your linked article), and "more rational" is a value judgement that I'm not willing to make. They certainly seem to be pragmatic about their prospects, though.

Quote:
Thibault

Quote:
“If people do what they are supposed to do, we’ll be safer than the rest of the country,” Thibault said. “We are going to a facility where we are minimizing risk and we should be in a safe environment.”

Coach, if everybody was doing what they were supposed to do, we wouldn't still be on 23-hour lockdown. If anything, we have proved, in the aggregate, that we're not willing to do what we're supposed to do.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/08/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hindsight is 20/20, but still, it's a damn shame Mohegan Sun/Connecticut didn't even end up being a finalist to host...

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/coronavirus/state-reports-no-covid-19-deaths-since-yesterday-first-time-in-months-governor/2299102/

Quote:
...the state is reporting no new coronavirus-related deaths for the "first time in months," Governor Ned Lamont announced at a press conference Tuesday afternoon... According to the state Department of Health, 5,745 tests have been administered since yesterday, and just 57 new cases were reported. Lamont said the state's positive test percentage remains around one percent.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Hindsight is 20/20, but still, it's a damn shame Mohegan Sun/Connecticut didn't even end up being a finalist to host...

They didn't want to be limited to one game at a time

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Since now they're bussing it to their arena anyway, it would've only been a 45-minute bus ride to the XL Center in Hartford - or heck, even 50 minutes to Gampel Pavilion in Storrs - if they wanted a second arena.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Since now they're bussing it to their arena anyway, it would've only been a 45-minute bus ride to the XL Center in Hartford - or heck, even 50 minutes to Gampel Pavilion in Storrs - if they wanted a second arena.

The other thing to consider that the place needs to have enough courts to allow all the teams to practice as well, that the league can try and “bubble,” as well. Obviously they can take shifts but it’s something maybe IMG could offer better.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/08/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like the main issue was in one lodge going through renovation. Majority of players happy with accommodations. DeShields needed her vegan diet needs addressed. Not everybody eats meat or red meat.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=29429480&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two weeks until the season starts & still no schedule. No updates about the Fever or the other players that tested positive.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Two weeks until the season starts & still no schedule. No updates about the Fever or the other players that tested positive.

Could there be some serious trouble behind the scenes?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/20 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Could there be some serious trouble behind the scenes?

I hope it's not the case of the Fever needing to withdraw.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/20 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season will officially begin July 25, still no schedule though...

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1281726367139278848?s=19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: